Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Why does everyone wait till the light is green to cross the street, regardless of if there are cars coming or not? I know the police will give you a ticket, but if I have time to check both directions 3 or 4 times, I can also check for the police.

I was actually yelled at (well, in a passive aggresive way) by a woman for crossing the street today.

Also, children have parents. They can tell them not to cross the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

I'd say "extremely intellectually lazy" is a more accurate term. The typical M.Ed. student seems to either want the job for the steady paycheck or because they really, really like children, but not because of any passion for the subject.

As a consequence you'll hear many M.Ed. students complaining about how useless university is and that they don't bother learning anything they haven't heard about in their own Gym/Ges classes anyway.

How many Lehramt diplom students did you meet? Maybe you just happened to meet some really poo poo people who happened to study Lehramt, but that's not a quality that is limited to just one subject.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Previously on GBS posted:

Düsseldorf is great, as weird as this may sound, if I could choose any place in to live right now, it would probably be Düsseldorf.
Despite not seeming like the most international place, Munich is actually the city with the highest percentage of foreigners in Germany.

Really? I'd much rather live in Köln, more to do, though not exceptionally pretty. Plus the people are friendly.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

but at the same time it is kind of lame that I can't go out and buy some clothes or some poo poo, because saturday is the one day I have to do everything.

Seriously. My weekends would actually be more relaxing if I could spread out everything I needed to do, say, going to the center to shop on Saturday and then doing my grocery shopping on Sunday, instead of basically having to wake up at 08:00 in order to get everything done on Saturday.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I'm not sure about your first two questions, but for your third, you can register at the buergeramt even if you don't have an apartment lined up (i.e. - just use the address from your hotel).

true.spoon posted:

I've helped exchange students with opening bank accounts and in my experience the banks don't give a poo poo about permits, all they usually ask for is an address for sending the card and PIN-code.

You can always have them get your EC Karte sent to the bank and just pick it up there.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 12, 2013

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Completely different question regarding Hamburg and Berlin:

What would be the cheapest and/or most convenient ways of parking over a weekend there? Bunch of dudes are currently planning a goonmeet and while we haven't agreed on where to go yet, the Bahnpreise, even the Spardeals for a weekend late-February are ludicrously expensive, so I'm thinking about just splitting gasmoney 3-ways and parking my ride there at some convenient spot.

Barring a hotel that includes a parking spot, I'd think that'd be my cheapest option.

Is mitfahrgelegenheit not an option?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Our infrastructure is rotting and both education and public research are underfunded. I'm sure this will have no serious long term effects.

But there's a budget surplus!

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Forgot I took this picture. An answer to a question I did not realize most Germans were clamoring to know the answer to:

(Phone posting, couldn't rotate it).

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 16, 2015

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I'm not a fan of the CDU, but drat. Köln mayoral candidate stabbed in the neck at a campaign event before tomorrow's election.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 17, 2015

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

tekz posted:

Apparently there was a major train collision?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35530538

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

Did you know that complementing someone on their language skills is actually a really cruel form of xenophobia?

Well, if you didn't you should read this article http://www.zeit.de/kultur/2015-12/german-language-problems-berlin-refugees-10nach8/komplettansicht

I know it's really easy to live in Berlin and not speak German, but after 5 years, you really should be able to deal with the Ausländeramt in German.

Also, it's kind of a cop-out to say that German is some super difficult to learn language as an English speaker.

That said, it is kind of bullshit when people pretend they can't understand what you're saying.

Finally, saw these ads in Hamburg recently. Do people really need to be reminded that non-German/white people are normal people capable of doing normal things?

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 13, 2016

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Natürlich muss man nett sein und wenn du unfreundlich bist will keiner dir helfen, aber es ist mir ein paar mal passiert dass ich mit irgendwem gesprochen haben und sie konnten nicht verstehen was ich meinte. Aus meiner Sicht habe ich das mehr oder weniger gut erklärt, kann immer sein dass ich das nicht gut erklärt habe, aber man hat nur seinen eigenen Eindruck.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Are Ddorf and Frankfurt really that great to live in/top 7 cities?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/roaming-tariffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

I'd recommed trivago.com, which is a meta-search engine for hotels and gives you on average much better prices than HRS or Booking.com

They're also headquartered in Düsseldorf :patriot: (why are the only Germany-related emoticons Nazi-related?)

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 25, 2016