Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Lazaruise posted:

Does this actually affect anything? Or does the game continue like normal afterwards?

There's almost always a "Let's just fight" dialogue option when you're talking to him, and I think that as long as Ulysses dies you get the slide reflecting that. I've managed to take him down in two shots (Anti-Materiel Rifle + guns at 100 + assorted chems, one sneak attack critical headshot in VATS and a second non-vats hit). Based on his dialogue, by the time you enter the Temple the missile has already been set to launch regardless of what happens between you and Ulysses. Similar to how he set up the Marked Men to swarm in, and you have to fight them no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

You can access any DLC from the very start of the game, though they're balanced around mid-level characters. There's nothing in the main storyline that opens them up, nor is anything beyond your own curiosity the driving force behind getting to the DLC in the first place.

This should probably be added to the OP, as well as the various weight limits and ability to return. From what I remember:

Dead Money: No weight/gear restrictions; the game takes all of your stuff before beginning the DLC proper, and gives it back after you are finished. Recommended level 20+. Cannot leave before completion, cannot return after completion.

Honest Hearts: Can take only 75 pounds of gear (can be made 100 with certain perks / skill checks). No recommended level (everything scales). Cannot leave before completion, can return after completion via fast-travel to Northern Passage.

Old World Blues: No weight/gear restrictions. Recommended level 15, but at high levels the scaling seems to get out of control and the enemies turn into bullet sponges. Cannot leave before completion, can return after completion with teleport device.

Lonesome Road: No weight/gear restrictions. Recommended level 25+. Can leave/return at any time before and after completion by fast travel to Canyon Wreckage.

It might be useful to have some info about recommended perks/skills (Lockpick / Repair for Dead Money, Survival for Honest Hearts, Science for Old World Blues, etc.), and anything else that would help someone not inadvertently screw themselves.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Xik posted:

How important is this? I'm about to start that DLC in the morning and since the Survival skill seems incredibly useless(not playing hardcore) I haven't put any points in it.

I don't think it's strictly necessary, but I know there were a bunch of times that I saw a Survival dialogue option that I had no hope of reaching. HH also introduced a bunch of new craftable items, so in my mind it feels tied to that skill. ClearAirTurbulence is right, Lockpick is useful, but since I had it at 100 I didn't pay too much attention to the levels of the doors and lockers I was ransacking. :v:

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Xik posted:

At what point in the main quest is there a "point of no return"?

Specifically, where should I be saving so I can reload and continue exploring without having areas inaccessible because it would "finish" the game, or what journal entry should I stop at so I can continue to play the game fully without finishing it?

Nothing personal, but this question has cropped up so many times I went in and took a screenshot so it could hopefully be shoved in the OP.

Is there a point of no return?

Yes. The game is quite explicit about when this is. Pictured above is the "Hey, this is the point of no return" dialogue option for the Yes Man ending. After this, you go to the second battle of Hoover Dam, and can't come back. You can't play 'after the end' (like Broken Steel in FO3). A little while ago the game was patched to create an autosave for you at this point, so that you don't lock your character into the endgame (as certain reading-comprehension challenged individuals have apparently done in the past).

There are also a handful of "soft" point-of-no-returns, that specifically deal with which faction you are supporting. They appear as quests: "Don't Tread on the Bear", and "Beware the Wrath of Caesar". These are to let you know that you've helped out the NCR or the Legion to the point that if you continue to help one, you will alienate the other and will no longer be able to finish the game for the alienated faction. (I believe there is a Mr. House version, but can't find it on the Fallout Wiki) (Edit: There isn't one). You are always able to complete the game through the Independent / Yes Man path.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 28, 2011

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

King Doom posted:

I kinda agree with the goon many pages back who suggested that if Ulyssess based his hatred of the courier on the dialogue you choose in conversations with him it would have been the most amazing DLC ever. It would have been tricky, but I bet Obsidian could have pulled it off.

I'm not sure who said it, but I agree with the sentiment. I'm reminded of the beginning parts of KOTOR II, where your dialogue options determine the gender, alignment, and eventual fate of Revan from the first game. There are also the bits in vanilla New Vegas where you can allude to your past, like with the Lonesome Wanderer if you have Lady Killer, or another dialogue option where you can say you've been to New Reno in the past.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I'm sort of an anti-weirdness magnet in real life, and this carries over to video games as well. Until earlier tonight, I'd never experienced any of the :psyduck: random bugs and Gamebryo physics fuckery that seems so common with this and FO:3.

Until this evening when I finished Old World Blues and fast-traveled to the Mojave Outpost. A giant radscorpion had spawned on top of one of the buildings and started attacking that sniper questgiver. They killed each other, I auto-failed the quest, I reloaded, it didn't happen again. V :) V

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Francois Kofko posted:

man, even if you don't break the bank and turn it into old world money, or steal all the gold, dead money is still practically gamebreaking because of the massive number of stims you'll probably walk away with

My last character through Old World Blues left with over 120 Mentats, without even trying. Do HH or LR have any items you come out with a ton of? I can't think of any offhand.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Especially under the pressure of, you know, trying to stay alive in a mutant-ridden wasteland, somebody might choose to join the biggest and meanest person in the room, regardless of that person's ideology.

This reminds me of the ending of Nightfall. If you're not familiar with it, the idea is that there is a planet orbited by five suns, and as a result is bathed in perpetual sunlight. But once every two thousand years, the orbits of the suns align so that the planet is plunged into darkness. The people on the planet, witnessing something that is completely out of their experience, go stark raving mad, and civilization completely collapses in the ensuing chaos and anarchy, a cycle that has repeated every two thousand years for as far back as anyone is able to figure out.

One of the primary antagonists, the "Apostles of the Flame" is a group of religious fanatics in every negative sense of the term. They stand in opposition to the findings of astronomers (who predict Nightfall well before it happens), as they see it as a heresy that attempts to explain through science what they know (through interpretations of their holy texts) will happen at the end of the 2000-year long Year of Godliness, when the gods see that mankind has continued on their wicked ways and purges the world in a rain of fire. As a result, with their survivalist mentality they're more prepared than anyone else to survive the apocalypse and emerge into a ruined anarchic wasteland and attempt to restore order. Two of the main protagonists are scientists, and have been fighting/arguing against the Apostles the entire length of the novel. At the very end, they decide that rather than try and fight the Apostles in some kind of guerilla warfare campaign, to join the Apostles in their attempt to rebuild society. Their reasoning is that even though their 'logic' behind the truth of Nightfall is flawed, they still arrive at the same basic conclusion, and that they have to put their trust in future generations of thinkers and skeptics to, in the future, rediscover the truth behind the orbits and astronomy. Fighting against them in the meantime would only result in their (the protagonists') early deaths, and stymie the cultists' attempts at reestablishing civilization (as repugnant as they may find it).

I can see this argument in favor of the Legion, to a point... The main difference being, it's several hundred years after the war, so there have been a number of nation-states rising out of the ashes, and you definitely DON'T get that sense of "Welp, the world just blew up, what should I do now?" / "This is going to happen again in two thousand years, what is the best course of action to help preserve knowledge and society in the long term?"

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Course it also brings up the question why we dont have people flying or even taking a boat across the ocean semi-regularly by now. I mean it would be treacherous but if people did it in the 1500s they should have figured it out by now, and the enclave does have functioning flying vehicles.

This was brought up in one of the earlier threads. My favorite explanation for the lack of ocean travel was giant albino radsharks.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Individual bits are ok, but the world overall made no sense. A town of slavers a few hundred yards away from a town of children being the prime example. Where do people get food, for another?

This was mentioned way back in this thread, but one thing that always irritated me was Tenpenny Towers. It's supposedly this incredibly nice, posh place that's defended like a fortress and where all the "rich" people live. I get there, and it's one lovely hotel with a wall and two or three mercenaries, filled with idle rich, and surrounded by wasteland. Where do they get their food? Why are these people rich? Do they DO anything? If there was a trading post or sharecropper farms or SOMETHING nearby you could handwave it by saying "Oh, the people in the Tower are at the top of this particular social heap", but there isn't. It's just rubble and radscorpions for miles around, nothing but those ghouls who want to get in. It makes no drat sense, even by my pretty high tolerance for lovely video game "logic".

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Do we know what triggers that? Is there a formula based on time played, distance talked, or is it pretty much random?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

I just got the platinum chip and I was looking at all the possible endings.

:psyduck: What the hell is the good ending. NCR Reign is pretty neutral while Independence is freedom, but letting chaos take over.

You've basically hit on the reason why the the game's plot and setting generate so much conversation even a year and a half after it's release. While it's very easy to not want to side with the Legion, there's a lot to be said on all sides about NCR, House, and Independent. (And if you take into account things that they ended up cutting from the Legion parts of the game, that makes it even more interesting). Hang around the thread long enough, the discussion will come back up eventually.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Kharmakazy posted:

And victor has a surprisingly limited role considering his appearance and then reappearance/s. It seems like he was originally intended to do more.

Am I the only one that was really paranoid about Victor? He really creeped me out, and that may have been intentional. He's just so overly chipper and helpful, you know he's up to something (and to be honest, he is). But I was also very paranoid about the Companion Cube, and ditched it as soon as I could, so maybe it's just me.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Kharmakazy posted:

You just bombed the poo poo out of a lot of people. Don't worry though, some of them are "alive" and eager to meet you.

Go check out the new location that shows up on your Pip-Boy. And make sure to bring a LOT of Rad-X. :)

OldMemes posted:

I actually kinda like Victor. He's a bit creepy with his overly friendly manner, but it is nice to see a friendly face as you make the journey to the strip for first time.

After having the Star Cap Guy interrupt me in the middle of Nipton, only a gut feeling that Victor would rip me in half kept me from attacking him when he popped up in Novac. Supposedly 'helpful' NPCs who keep showing up to give me advice just makes me go all :tinfoil:

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 16, 2012

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Davos posted:

I always hated how hard it is simply to justify a Legion runthrough rp wise.

In these kinds of games, I usually do a "good" playthrough my first time. Then I go back for the evil run with "A Boy Named Sue". His name is Sue. He gives no fucks. He is a lying, cheating, thieving, double-crossing, murderous little poo poo who is only a single hairs breadth from being my "Kill everyone and everything" gimmick playthrough. Sue loves the Legion, because he is full of hate and bile and malice towards every living thing under the sun, because his shitheel of a father gave him a girl's name.

I've never actually done a House run before, it's the one endgame scenario I haven't gone with. I've always found something to be very viscerally satisfying about killing House in any one of the very unpleasant ways for you to do so. I finally picked up the Courier's Stash during the sale so I can finally install the JSawyer. I'm going to try a Hardcore run which I haven't done yet. I've done the sneaky talky sniper build, as well as the unarmed punch everything build, am pondering what I could or should go with. Explosives are more viable with the JSawyer mod, right? I rarely use companions, so I'm not too worried about them getting caught in the crossfire blast radius.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

It recommends that you only run jsawyer off of a brand-new game because of that, and whatever else might crop up further down the line.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

This might be a little out of place, but Obsidian's "Knights of the Old Republic II" is out on Steam now. It was rushed out by LucasArts months early because they decided they wanted a Christmas release, and as a result the game was very definitely unfinished and suffers badly in the ending because of it.

Despite this, what IS in the game is absolutely incredible storytelling, and there are a number of mods that seek to restore cut content that was on the disc but never able to be implemented. If you enjoy the writing in New Vegas, there's a good chance you'll enjoy KOTORII. If you really liked Ravel from Planescape: Torment, then you'll probably REALLY enjoy KOTORII too!

One of the best things about KOTOR 2 (and the reason that LucasArts doesn't like it, apparently) is that it takes the Light/Dark, Good/Evil dichotomy of the Force and the Star Wars universe and runs it through an ethical wringer. The traditional conventions of Star Wars games are flipped on their head, and it gives you a lot to chew on (similar to the endless Legion/House/NCR discussions in this thread).

Scorchy did an awesome LP of KOTOR II a few years back, "Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II - Because We Hate Endings" (may require Archives) that can also be found at http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/. He spent a lot of time discussing the cut content, using tools to hack into/explore inaccessible zones, and more. I highly recommend it if you don't have the time or patience to play through it (or even if you do, really).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Every time I power up the Archimedes laser, I'm underwhelmed by the weapon itself and wish I'd put the power into making the various lights in buildings brighter. It only works outdoors, once a day, and things tend to move away from it and towards you once you're close enough to see them.

The Archimedes laser is the only way to assassinate President Kimball. Along with most of his security detail.