Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dacap posted:

Netflix has announced that Daredevil is renewed for season 2 to air in 2016 with Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez taking over showrunners.

This is really interesting cause it means they aren't sticking to the initial 4 solo series leading to Defenders strategy. It looks like any of these shows could get a second season right away if they're successful.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/marvel-daredevil-renewed-season-2-netflix-1201413923/

They don't necessarily have to be abandoning the strategy - they could be looking at Defenders as less of an ongoing season and more as the TV equivalent of a Crossover Event Miniseries. The Netflix deal gives them some interesting ways to play with the usual television format, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them trying to experiment a bit with what a series is or has to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Netflix has announced that Daredevil is renewed for season 2 to air in 2016 with Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez taking over showrunners.

This is really interesting cause it means they aren't sticking to the initial 4 solo series leading to Defenders strategy. It looks like any of these shows could get a second season right away if they're successful.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/marvel-daredevil-renewed-season-2-netflix-1201413923/

:worship:

On the other hand, I almost don't want it to go on, I was waiting for Karen to die all season long last season and was honestly shocked when she didn't die and Urich did instead. Now I just know Matt Murdock's terrible life has her (or even Foggy who knows poo poo's crazy) on a ticking clock the minute the series comes back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey there's still time for him to date and get Elektra killed before Karen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Hey there's still time for him to date and get Elektra killed before Karen.

They already mentioned him dating her

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TwoPair posted:

:worship:

On the other hand, I almost don't want it to go on, I was waiting for Karen to die all season long last season and was honestly shocked when she didn't die and Urich did instead. Now I just know Matt Murdock's terrible life has her (or even Foggy who knows poo poo's crazy) on a ticking clock the minute the series comes back.

That's only because she doesn't get with Matt until the very end

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dacap posted:

Changing showrunners between seasons, that's absolutely going to work out

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

fatherboxx posted:

Worked okay for Season 1 when they changed show runners mid production. But yeah I don't really like the habit of giving former Buffy people creative control but them being writers and execs on Season 1 eases my fears a bit.

This announcement does solve my issues with the end of Season 1, knowing that things will be solved within Daredevil rather than just mushed together for Defenders. A season 2 of more Hand stuff, the trial of the Kingpin, Vanessa taking over/managing things, Elektra and possibly Bullseye, maybe Owl Jr. taking revenge and throw in someone like The Jester should be great. The most difficult thing will be the change of tone since Matt will be Daredevil from the get go rather than doing the origin story stuff.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Next season Daredevil spends the entire time on a farm.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Worked okay for Season 1 when they changed show runners mid production. But yeah I don't really like the habit of giving former Buffy people creative control but them being writers and execs on Season 1 eases my fears a bit.

You are aware that Steven S. DeKnight is a former Buffy person?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

You are aware that Steven S. DeKnight is a former Buffy person?

Nope.

All of Daredevil has been a pleasant surprise to me because I set my expectations to rock bottom when Goddard got involved because I hated Cabin in the Woods.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Nope.

All of Daredevil has been a pleasant surprise to me because I set my expectations to rock bottom when Goddard got involved because I hated Cabin in the Woods.

Yep he wrote for Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, and holy poo poo Smallville.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Smallville ran for so long I'm pretty sure I probably wrote an episode at some point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Smallville ran for so long I'm pretty sure I probably wrote an episode at some point.
You're not helping my suspicion that you're actually Dan Didio.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

didn't you not like season one tho?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So one of the things I really like about the character of Daredevil, and Waid and Rivera/Martin/Samnee's run in particular, is the emphasis on how Matt actually is blind, and all the differences in how he experiences the world and the disadvantages that entails. I've been reading the Bendis/Maleev run, and while I'm liking it, most of the time Daredevil in that run might as well be Red Batman with normal vision and really good hearing. So I'm wondering, how do the other major runs (Miller, Brubaker) stack up in that aspect?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

So one of the things I really like about the character of Daredevil, and Waid and Rivera/Martin/Samnee's run in particular, is the emphasis on how Matt actually is blind, and all the differences in how he experiences the world and the disadvantages that entails. I've been reading the Bendis/Maleev run, and while I'm liking it, most of the time Daredevil in that run might as well be Red Batman with normal vision and really good hearing.

You know besides his relationship with another blind person.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

didn't you not like season one tho?

I enjoyed it overall, but I had problems with certain aspects - tone, main character, action. It has promise and can provide some challenge to other superhero tv series. Giving the show to some second unit might be disastrous.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Nope.

I'm pretty sure DeKnight was the defacto showrunner on Angel for the last couple of years, if I remember right?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

I enjoyed it overall, but I had problems with certain aspects - tone, main character, action. It has promise and can provide some challenge to other superhero tv series. Giving the show to some second unit might be disastrous.

ah word for some reason I remembered your opinion of it being more negative.

I loved it pretty much unreservedly, and from DeKnight's interviews he seems really sharp, so yeah I'm pretty nervous about them handing it off to a couple of Sons of Anarchy dudes.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ah word for some reason I remembered your opinion of it being more negative.

I loved it pretty much unreservedly, and from DeKnight's interviews he seems really sharp, so yeah I'm pretty nervous about them handing it off to a couple of Sons of Anarchy dudes.

...who were already working on the show.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lord Hydronium posted:

So one of the things I really like about the character of Daredevil, and Waid and Rivera/Martin/Samnee's run in particular, is the emphasis on how Matt actually is blind, and all the differences in how he experiences the world and the disadvantages that entails. I've been reading the Bendis/Maleev run, and while I'm liking it, most of the time Daredevil in that run might as well be Red Batman with normal vision and really good hearing. So I'm wondering, how do the other major runs (Miller, Brubaker) stack up in that aspect?

I don't know, I thought one of the scenes that Bendis absolutely nailed, that I often think of when I think of comics!Daredevil, is the scene where he first meets Milla and is mostly reacting to how she smells.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I don't know, I thought one of the scenes that Bendis absolutely nailed, that I often think of when I think of comics!Daredevil, is the scene where he first meets Milla and is mostly reacting to how she smells.

I adore that scene because it's one of those beats that shows Bendis really getting the character. Matt's completely ignoring Foggy and (I think) Dakota during that scene because he's imagining the babe with that perfume, which is absolutely bang on for the horndog that Murdock is.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Nope.

It probably helps that Goddard basically got an EP credit for doing gently caress all.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/17/when-drew-goddard-walked-off-daredevil-for-sinister-six-sony-leak/
I hate linking bleeding cool but they've done the wikileaks search work here.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

RevKrule posted:

It probably helps that Goddard basically got an EP credit for doing gently caress all.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/17/when-drew-goddard-walked-off-daredevil-for-sinister-six-sony-leak/
I hate linking bleeding cool but they've done the wikileaks search work here.

This is making Goddard look like a gigantic douche, hunh.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

The gently caress were you expecting from a loving Daredevil series then?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wolpertinger posted:

This is making Goddard look like a gigantic douche, hunh.

...not really? It sounds like Marvel tried to gently caress him out of getting any royalties for what he did do, but I could be reading it wrong and this obviously isn't the whole story.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...not really? It sounds like Marvel tried to gently caress him out of getting any royalties for what he did do, but I could be reading it wrong and this obviously isn't the whole story.

It reads like he wrote 1 episode and then dumped them for a new movie and then not only demanded royalties not only for the first episode or the first season, but the second season and all future daredevil seasons. The first episode was good, but not THAT good.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

The gently caress were you expecting from a loving Daredevil series then?

Something along the line with Bendis/Maleev comics, as they are the least outlandish, but stylish as gently caress.
The show plays to the strengths of the format and compensates in the extremely good supporting cast.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

fatherboxx posted:

Something along the line with Bendis/Maleev comics, as they are the least outlandish, but stylish as gently caress.
The show plays to the strengths of the format and compensates in the extremely good supporting cast.

While i think the Bendis/Maleev run is more stylish I think they did a good job of replicating it. Starting out "grounded" and introducing more ridiculous stuff as it went on. Like the Bendis/Maleev run still had Daredevil fight super powered old dude and Jester who was puking out a demon baby.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Can someone catch me up on what the deal with with Matt's mom? I read all the comics from front to back a couple years ago, but the whole run rarely touched on it and did it inconsistently as I recall.

Also I'm not totally worried about the removal of the showrunner, as he actually wrote some of the worst episodes.

dj_clawson fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 27, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
She left to become a Nun.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

She left to become a Nun.

I know she's a nun, but I think there was some backstory about how she tried to kill him when he was a baby bacause she was mentally ill and thought he was a demon. Also maybe his mom worked at the orphanage where he lived but he didn't know she was his mom but later he did? (Also earlier in the run his dad didn't die until he was in college, so no orphanage?)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^^ Where did you get the orphanage from? It was always he died when he was an adult.

dj_clawson posted:

Can someone catch me up on what the deal with with Matt's mom? I read all the comics from front to back a couple years ago, but the whole run rarely touched on it and did it inconsistently as I recall.

It was pretty plainly laid out in Born Again, in Kevin Smith's run it was confirmed, and during Waid's run you found out why she left.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

It was pretty plainly laid out in Born Again, in Kevin Smith's run it was confirmed, and during Waid's run you found out why she left.

Okay, so, please summarize it for me? I haven't found a site that does it justice and I'm already backlogged.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

Okay, so, please summarize it for me? I haven't found a site that does it justice and I'm already backlogged.

His mother was a nun and she left due to having postpartum depression. During Born Again after he is beaten by Fisk he is at the church and he remembers a nun visiting him while he was in the hospital. Its hinted that its his mom, and then during Kevin Smith's run they confirmed it.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

His mother was a nun and she left due to having postpartum depression. During Born Again after he is beaten by Fisk he is at the church and he remembers a nun visiting him while he was in the hospital. Its hinted that its his mom, and then during Kevin Smith's run they confirmed it.

Was she a nun when she was pregnant?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

dj_clawson posted:

Was she a nun when she was pregnant?

No she left Matt's dad due to the postpartum depression and joined the church.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

No she left Matt's dad due to the postpartum depression and joined the church.

I guess that makes sense. It just seems like compared to how Matt deals with everything else that's bad in his life, he has a pretty good relationship with his mom. Maybe various writers just decided to give him a breather.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

dj_clawson posted:

Heck, if you've read that much Daredevil already you have to read Waid's run. There has not been a better superhero comic in the four years it's been running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

dj_clawson posted:

I guess that makes sense. It just seems like compared to how Matt deals with everything else that's bad in his life, he has a pretty good relationship with his mom. Maybe various writers just decided to give him a breather.

If by good you mean it is someone who has only recently openly admitted to being his mother and only talks to her once every few years...then yeah, I guess that is good.

• Locked thread