Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
For the record, I believe Adrian Mutu still has yet to pay any of his fine to Chelsea because every time they win a court case against him he just appeals again to a different court. Twice at CAS, once at the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland (who knows why) and now reportedly at the European Court of Justice. He also reportedly has 14M in assets so would need to borrow substantially to pay the fine in full, especially now that it's accruing interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

He'll never pay it. The enforcing body is FIFA, which pretty much means that Mutu is just kicking the can down the road for as long as he can until he has to retire. All they can ultimately do is ban him from football. He's already 32.

Well, maybe. The thing is that while it was FIFA who decided the amount, it has been upheld by actual judicial bodies, namely CAS and the Swiss Supreme Court. I'm no lawyer so I don't know how contract disputes go, but that seems reasonably legit to me.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnac posted:

This is totally bizarre. Both admitted to having sex with the girl, one goes free with no repurcussions, the other gets 5 years.

I'm not sure how that works.

Reposting from the PL thread:

It might have something to do with the fact that (according to the first story) the other player is the one that actually chatted her up at the bar and took her back to his hotel room, whether she was blackout drunk or drugged or whatever, so maybe the court thought she consented to having sex with him; while Evans got a call from his mate, showed up at the hotel room and, without having met or talked to the girl before, just started having sex, maybe with a mumbled 'yes' from a basically passed out girl. If that's really the case, I can see why a jury might find one guilty and the other not.

Not saying that's the rationale I would take, but I can see that line of thinking.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There's a pretty cool interview with Jardel here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JABx9GrWuE

Dude seems like he's doing well these days. Got a nice house too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You would have to be absolutely stupid if you think teams like United, Bayern, Barcelona, Milan, etc do not have any involvement whatsoever in doping activities. They are multi-million (in some cases, billion) major global sporting franchises with players expected to play on massive contracts for audiences of hundreds of millions of people. Of course they loving dope, just like every other major sport.

It's really obvious, but the sport gets massive protection because it's the most popular in the world. It always makes me laugh when people genuinely go 'hm I wonder how Terry, Giggs, Lampard and others manage to play so well for their age?'.

Terry's only 32, that's not old at all for a centre back and he's actually declining rapidly whereas Lampard continues to bang goals in off other people's asses and Giggs somehow managed to outlast Fergie while still being in the first team.

But yeah, Terry probably dopes anyway because he's poo poo and also a oval office. Everybody dopes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If it wasn't rape, then I'm a little disappointed that a rumour of two dudes having consensual man love was enough to cause a scandal that got both of them fired and is to this day considered a club's greatest shame. Let's kick homophobia out of football. :(

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In what's probably the most high-profile footballer case so far, Gennaro Gattuso is being investigated for match-fixing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
A ref in Detroit died after a 36-year-old player punched him in the head while getting red carded.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/john-bieniewicz-u-s-soccer-ref-dies-after-being-punched-during-match-1.2693747

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think we actually discussed that one in this exact thread when it happened. It was certainly pretty insane reading the headlines after it happened.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There's a big difference between being killed by spectators after you stab a player to death and being killed by a 36-year-old man for doing your job and giving him a red card, imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That one goal he scored, I think against Arsenal or United once, was amazing and convinced me that he was the next big thing. Then he wasn't and I was sad, but I've still got a soft spot for him. I hope he turns up safe and sound.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

loving hell. "I raped a girl but the real crime committed was that I was cheating on my partner to do it."

What an rear end in a top hat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
TRP has been on fire lately.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's especially ironic because he didn't wyn his case.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"It was a little with the head of Maradona, and a little with the hand of Scholes."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pat Mustard posted:

David James in bad-at-saving shocker.

lol nice

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Several sponsors of Sheffield United have said they'll pull their sponsorships if the club rehires him. And the Olympic gold medalist they named a stand after in 2012 has asked them to remove her name from the stand if they rehire him.

It would be a PR nightmare if they took him back. Surely there are other strikers they can sign.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If the Operation Yewtree guys get out of jail, should they be allowed to go back on television or the radio or wherever and assume their previous lives in the spotlight and make shitloads of money while being in the public eye constantly, because they served their time in prison and therefore it's all okay?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Masonity posted:

I wonder if he did a Joey Barton?

That depends, is Joey Barton a 15-year-old?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Do you think he's going to be hosed like her legs Gazza?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When Footballers Go Feral indeed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Do you think Hull will sue him to recoup the transfer fee? Or maybe even the PL TV money if they go down?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Germany basically considers Scientology an illegal cult so this is unsurprising.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Byolante posted:

Australia tried to but ended up concluding that its a religion even if its a pack of charlattans pushing terrible messages.

It's a religion the same way Jonestown was a religion and Adidas probably has clauses in their contracts saying "you won't join a suicide cult" as well.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
David Luiz has a girlfriend. You wouldn't know her though, she lives in Canada.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
When I read that I didn't catch that it was Pearson's son and thought it was Pearson himself in an orgy with his players, and tbh it didn't seem that far-fetched.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

loving footballers really love having sex with their male friends.

They also love filming it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

I really want to say that if you pay a prostitute to eat your rear end in a top hat while you scream racisms at her then that's your own drat business, but these idiots videotaped it and spread it around their friends.

You don't get fired for the act itself, you get fired for being such a moron that you tape it and show it to everyone you know.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Mash posted:

I think I will take the opposite action and slander them further. The entire Spanish national team have been doped up to their eyeballs for every major triumph they've had recently and so have FC Barcelona. Furthermore, Rafael Nadal deserves to have all of his titles stripped and handed to Roger Federer, regardless of whether Federer was his opponent in those winning finals, or in fact played in the tournament at all.

:agreed: on all counts even the bougie af tennis ones.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

oliwan posted:

Actually, Federer is the greatest athlete of all time hth

Too bad he can't compete with Djokovic's "gluten-free diet" and "barometric chamber".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah the Canadian Soccer League is so corrupt that the Canadian Soccer Association desanctioned it because they would rather just not have a top-level league in the country than have one where basically every match is fixed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Munin posted:

When did they desanction it?

A few years ago I think, after an earlier big round of match fixing claims.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

joshtothemaxx posted:

Is that why the Canadian Cup or whatever its called is just the 3 MLS clubs plus 2 NASL teams?

No idea, but I don't think so. I think even before they got desanctioned the Nutrilite Canadian Championship was just a few teams. It's more because even though MLS is A Bad League, Toronto FC et al would win games against these guys like 50-0 even before any match-fixing happened.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ephex posted:

Believe me, nothing good will ever come from a Justin.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Michu Picchu: Je m'en bats les couilles

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The French Prime Minister just told the media there is no place in the France team for Benzema :france:

Time for FIFA to suspend France for political interference in football.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mascherano is also in trouble for tax fraud. It's a Barcelona tradition now!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

Wonder how long before his wife fucks off

https://twitter.com/JoshHalliday/status/698128687275892737

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paddyb posted:

Tek a poo, son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Pretty sure he already pleaded guilty to a few things, right now all the arguing is about reducing his eventual sentence.