Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shif posted:

Well in all reality I do consider myself a newbro whisk(e)y plebian, no harm done. JW Red is meh at best, I just don't know what else to compare it to; at first taste I honestly thought it tasted like cardboard.

On the other hand I am itching to try some George Dickel, signs are pointing to holyshitthisis10timesbetterthanJD. What happened to the venerable JD anyway that I'm so feverishly missing out on?

Suggestions for total noob whiskey:
Bourbon - Evan Williams
Scotch - Glenlivet 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

kidsafe posted:

Yes, the flavors are finite, but most industry experts (the people who actually make the stuff) encourage you to identify basic flavors rather than make is overly-academic.

Examples:

"Orchard fruits" vs "Chinese pear / Fuji apple hybrid."
"Caramel" is the same basic tasting note as "molasses," "brown sugar," "toffee," "Werther's Originals that have been left out on the table for exactly 2 days, 3 hours."
"Black tea" vs "Lapsang souchong" (This is one of Ralfy's favorites and I wonder if Ralfy has ever had Lapsang souchong or if he's just trying to be David Broom.)

Whatever makes you happy I guess. If I had Deleuzionist's nose, I'd probably be a master blender or assistant whiskymaker somewhere.

Lapsang Souchong is really different than regular black tea though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What's a good price for Lagavulin these days? I swear I saw it in the $80s last year but just today I saw it for $65.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

silvergoose posted:

Welp, I had a Manhattan at Grill 23 in Boston and they brought this giant cocktail, I requested Woodford Reserve cause I'd never had it before, and it was *really really good*. Like, I definitely have not had a better one yet.

Any other bourbons I should try in a Manhattan specifically? I mean, if I'm mixing at home I'll probably keep using my cheap Evan Williams, but when in a nice restaurant with a real bar...

A manhattan is most properly made with rye.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Whiskey scandal!

quote:

Lawrenceburg, Indiana (not to be confused with bourbon-locale Lawrenceburg, Kentucky) is home to a massive brick complex that cranks out mega-industrial quantities of beverage-grade alcohol. The factory, once a Seagram distillery, has changed hands over the decades and was most recently acquired by food-ingredient corporation MGP. It is now a one-stop shop for marketers who want to bottle their own brands of spirits without having to distill the product themselves. MGP sells them bulk vodka and gin, as well as a large selection of whiskies, including bourbons of varying recipes, wheat whiskey, corn whiskey, and rye. (They also make “food grade industrial alcohol” used in everything from solvents and antiseptics to fungicides.) Their products are well-made, but hardly what one thinks of as artisanal. And yet, much of the whiskey now being sold as the hand-crafted product of micro-distilleries actually comes from this one Indiana factory.

It mentions the obvious - 10 year old whiskeys from 5 year old companies. But what dismayed me was the list of established ryes that come from the same big factory including Bulleit, Templeton, and Dickel. Guess I'll be sticking to Rittenhouse.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tigren posted:

This should come as no surprise to anybody who follows or drinks whiskey though. MGP (formerly LDI) have been the prime source for rye whiskey for a long time. It's not like they make bad juice. Their poo poo wins awards. High West basically sources all of their rye from MGP. It really comes down to the barrel selection and blending at this point.

I hate to break it to you, but Rittenhouse comes from a big factory just the same. It just so happens to be owned and run by Heaven Hill instead of mystery distillers.

I know that, it's just that I know I prefer Rittenhouse to Bulleit so with this knowledge I won't bother with Dickel or Templeton, which I had been planning to pick up this weekend.

Also I prefer my whiskey to come from Kentucky.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Squid Fingers posted:

speaking specifically of the knob creek and jim beam RYES.

thanks for clarifying though....

I've never had Knob Creek rye but Beam and Old Overholt taste radically different. Old Overholt is actually good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

me your dad posted:

My friend's dad is about to die and I'm looking for a good bottle as a gift. He digs Glenlivet and Pappy van Winkle. I don't know anything other than that, and I'm fine with spending up to $60 on a good bottle.

Anyone have any suggestions?

W.L. Weller 12 uses a similar mashbill to Van Winkle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I drank so many ryes last night. Let me tell you of the ryes!

1. Bulleit (This feels like it was designed for cocktails - 95% rye mash is a little too intense for me to drink neat)
2. Sazerac (Quite smooth but basically tastes like bourbon - I was not surprised this was a 51%-So-Technically-a-Rye)
3. Rittenhouse (Must get over my anti-screwcap bias, but this was quite good)
4. High West Double (blend of 16 and TWO YEAR old ryes, interesting... and from Utah?!)
5. EH Taylor (The best thing ever - Felt like I was coating my tongue in rye-syrup that evaporated into my throat)

More rye, please. What's your favorite rye cocktail? I'd like to be rid of the Bulleit as soon as possible and I'll be needing some other ingredients to get it down.

Manhattans. Drink lots of manhattans. Unless you have peychaud bitters and absinthe, in which case drink lots of sazeracs because they are the best.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I was just at the liquor store and saw one I hadn't heard of before. Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond. The internet says it's from Heaven Hill. It's about at the same price point as my go-to Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Anyone had this stuff before?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was just at the liquor store and saw one I hadn't heard of before. Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond. The internet says it's from Heaven Hill. It's about at the same price point as my go-to Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Anyone had this stuff before?

Just in case anyone was curious, the McKenna BiB isn't bad but it lacks the smoothness of the Evan and the complexity of Old Grand-Dad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

door Door door posted:

Apparently OGD BiB is special order only in North Carolina. Goddamnit.

Can you get the 114?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

door Door door posted:

Went to another ABC store today and thankfully they had the BiB on the shelf. I've never actually tried the 114; worth the price?

I sure like it.

e: with a drop of water

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

So Scotland is voting on it's independence today. It's not a topic I'm educated on in the slightest, but I was curious to see if anyone has come across a write up on how their independence may impact the Whisky business in Scotland.

At this point, nobody knows what currency Scotland would use much less any particular industry/export segment.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

dennis4167 posted:

Where is a good place to start with hard alchohol?

Depression and a dive bar.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm normally a bourbon drinker, but I was given a bottle of Glenlivet 15 year French oak reserve single malt. How is this for an introductory scotch? Do I just enjoy with an ice cube or a splash of water? I can count on one hand the number of times I've had scotch.

It's a very good introductory scotch. Good quality (although a little oaky for my taste) and a well-balanced highland malt. Glenlivet is how a lot of people get into single malts.

Try it neat first.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

kidsafe posted:

All Buffalo Trace stuff is heavily allocated at this point. Looks like they didn't lay down nearly enough barrels in the last decade because nobody else is experiencing the same level of shortage.

Is Blanton's affected?
( I can't find Sazerac but I never could anyway)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I can't believe I'm at an airport bar and drinking decent whiskey. The Stone bar in San Diego Int'l has, among other things, Macallan 12, Laphroaig 10, Highland Park 15, and Rittenhouse and Old Potrero ryes. The Old Potrero is a drat fine whiskey but not what you expect a rye to taste like. Def. recommend a couple drops of water in this.

But the idea of an airport bar with Scotch other than Glenfiddich and Chivas is blowing my mind.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spankmeister posted:

There's some Pappy 20 being auctioned here right now:

http://veiling.catawiki.nl/kavels/1368069-pappy-van-winkle-20-years-old

Currently at €900 :captainpop:

All that fuss over a wheater.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Speaking of which, Makers Mark is on deep discount where I live right now. Debating whether to grab a bottle or save up for something better.

Haven't drunk Wild Turkey 101 for over a decade, (following a not-too-pleasant-the-next-day overindulgence in my mildly flaming youth) but was contemplating giving it another shot.

I think Maker's is bland and overpriced.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Twenty (Kiwi)bucks less than usual. (Making it cheaper than Jim Beam) The WT 101 is thirty bucks more, Willet (My current bucket-list Bourbon) is thirty more again.

Whisky: Keeping people poor and happy since the 15th century.

If it's cheaper than Beam, go for it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mrcowcow posted:

Every place around here that has Sazerac on their cocktail list uses a rye whiskey besides Sazerac. Sazerac Rye doesn't show up here often and sells fast when it does. I've only seen it on shelves twice in the past year.

I saw it at a store for the first time today. Although I haven't seen Blanton's bourbon lately. Things be weird.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Big Bidness posted:

Bourbon shortage panic is causing people to buy up and horde things like crazy. I've been used to the people desperate for Pappy and ORVP, but now you're seeing people freak about about things like Blanton's and Weller.

It sucks, because I really like Weller 12, and they don't carry it here in Ohio, and the bottle I managed to score online this year was marked up 3x retail.

Good thing Evan Williams and Old Grand Dad are all I need to keep me happy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

tacosupreme posted:

Which labels do you find most passible?

Evan black is my standard mixing whiskey. Evan Single Barrel is my go-to neat. Old Grand-Dad 114 with a couple drops of water is for when I want a cask strength.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Pappy Van Winkle is wheated. :haw:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wormil posted:

Saw a news blurb that Silver Trail Distillery in Kentucky exploded. Never heard of them before.

quote:

Silver Trail Distillery opened in 2011. It's been featured on Discovery Channel's "Moonshiners" series and has won taste awards.

I could draw some conclusions here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wachter posted:

For my birthday I was given a sampler of Glenlivet 18 and a small of bottle of off-brand Speyside from a relatively upmarket UK supermarket (Marks and Spencer). I much prefer the supermarket whisky; the Glenlivet seems bland and lifeless in comparison.

But to someone who has only had beer, Glenlivet 18 is not a bad introduction.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alman posted:

Ended up going with Lagavulin 16. Hoping he'll share as I've never had the pleasure of having a dram of it :)

It's my favorite (at least, my favorite that I can afford a bottle of).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kenning posted:

Hell, OGD 114 is perfectly drinkable and it's at full-Sykes proof.

It is, but I find that a couple drops of water opens up the flavor wonderfully.

wormil posted:

And if you get accustomed to high proofs it's hard to drink regular whiskey. I went on a Bakers kick and it took awhile before I could drink anything else, nearly ruined Scotch.

I just can't touch anything 80 proof.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need to try a mint julep at a non-lovely bar. The last one was godawful.

How do you gently caress up a mint julep? It's crushed ice, a little sugar, bourbon, and mint.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus posted:

How do you gently caress up a mint julep? It's crushed ice, a little sugar, bourbon, and mint.

Oh right, I just remembered that video on how to gently caress up a mint julep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA&t=79s

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nill posted:

There's also the bit where Templeton marketed themselves as a small batch Iowa whiskey distiller with prohibition-era mystique and they're now on the hook to pay $2.5million in compensation to customers due to it being a complete fabrication. (fake stills, rebranded barrels, false and misleading labels, etc)

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2015/07/templeton-rye-is-still-lying.html

Amusingly, their claim of being a "small batch rye produced in Iowa to a prohibition recipe" amounts to mixing undisclosed flavoring additives into the stock MGP whiskey before bottling.

Also it just plain isn't that good.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Big Bidness posted:

Dickel rye is also from MGP. So it's good. MGP whiskey is generally decent to very, very good. For anyone who doesn't know, MGP is a distillery in Indiana that doesn't sell any of their product directly. Other companies buy from them, and bottle it, with varying degrees of honesty about where their whiskey comes from, and if they age it further or add anything to it. High West and Smooth Ambler are probably the most honest, and Templeton is shady all around.

Here's a fairly current list of what comes out of MGP, from the bourbonr blog.

The only ones of those I've had were the Templeton and Bulleit and neither one impressed me.

Rittenhouse is definitely my go-to rye (Old Overholt when I'm on a tight budget).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

it's 23 years old, which makes it smoother and allows for more of the wood character to make it's way into the spirit, and the mouthfeel is distinctive and chewier than it's younger cousins. Basically, it was always kind of hard to find cause age, and some people who get paid to drink bourbon said it tastes good and that made it harder to find.

If you want to know what it's "like" try another wheated bourbon like WL Weller 12, Old Weller Antique 107, (same mashbill as pappy) and the mouthfeel of Willett Pot still reserve.

And in fact, definitely try a Weller before trying to find and then paying a lot for Pappy. You might find that you don't really care for wheaters.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rekamso posted:

I can't find Highland Park 18 anywhere in Seattle (but perhaps I'm not looking hard enough).

Asked a guy at BevMo if they'd stock it again and he told me it's discontinued. Which is nonsense... right??

I've definitely seen it around here so yeah. Nonsense.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

swimming anime posted:

Just as a quick primer there are two main types of scotch. Single Malt Scotch is all malt and has a few other restrictions but is basically the real deal. Macallan 12 would be an example. The other kind is Blended Scotch which is some amount of single malt scotches blended with "grain whiskey" i.e. vodka. Both the chivas and johnnie walker are blended scotch. There's nothing particularly wrong with blended scotch, but it has a smooth (read: watered down with vodka) flavor that most people grow out of quickly once they get into the hard stuff. The only thing with johnny and chivas is that they are not that much cheaper as you might expect something watered down with vodka to be, and so for the price of your Chivas 18 you can get something full strength and with a lot more flavor. The good thing is that with single malts there are basically no bad ones. There are lots of different flavor profiles and you may not enjoy the smokiness of Islay scotches for example, and there are some single malts that are a little lame for their price, but you can't go wrong with even the most mass-market brands like Macallan and Glenlivet. My only recommendation is just to avoid blended scotch in the future, it's not bad, it's just not good.

Blended scotch is, to me, better than single malt for mixing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpeedFreek posted:

I only mix scotch with ice, I use bourbon for old fashions.

I'll take a look at the store tomorrow for one of those and probably pick up a bottle, I have been trying to stay away from blended but if its on special like that 18yr I'll try it and double black is just tasty to me.

Look at this guy who doesn't drink rusty nails or blood and sands.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpeedFreek posted:

What, I just like mixing with bourbon. Is there something I need to try?

Cocktails. There's a whole world out there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I use my tap water here but at a friend's place who has a different water supply it has an off taste.

So yeah, go with what works for you. poo poo, just keeping a single bottle of Fiji for it will last forever since you only use a few drops per glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

kidsafe posted:

I wouldn't say rich based on a few bottles of whisky. Unadventurous though, yes. Also why is there a bottle of Grey Goose?

Nice touch with the Cutlery Corner $20 katana.

That looks like a collection of "the most expensive stuff I've heard of that was at the local 'good' liquor store"