Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
^^Love me some Springbank, I recommend it as often as I can to people that don't like peated whisky's.

In other news, I got a bottle of the 'new' unchill-filtered, no coloring added Bunnahabhain for Christmas.

Loving it! Its like the old Bunnahabhain that I liked plus an extra kick of Bunna goodness. Props to the distillery for making these changes, they're really paying off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I had a similar experience recently. I happened to get two bottles of Laphroaig quarter cask as gifts (lucky me!). I opened the first one and it didn't taste like I remembered, no depth, it didn't have that underlying sweetness that balances the peat. I decided to open the second bottle and do a taste test and the second one was spectacular, exactly like I remembered, peat, smoke, sweetness, medicinal, awesome!

Something was off with that bottle, just goes to show that bad bottles show up from time to time. I ended up giving it to my brother who confirmed that it was bad (but he didn't mind).

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
Just got a bottle of Kilchoman Machir Bay and wow, is it good.

This is my first taste of any Kilchoman whisky and I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a well balanced peated whisky with some great fruit and sweetness. It reminds me a lot of Ardbeg Uigeadail, not surprising because they're both heavily peated and finished in sherry casks.

Definitely worth the $55 I paid and would happily do so again. Like I said, very similar to Uigeadail but about $20 cheaper.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

NightConqueror posted:

I'm honestly surprised its gotten such overwhelming praise considering its realatively young age (about 5 years, I think?). I guess age isn't everything!

I forget where I read it but I think that the Kilchoman I got was a blend of 6 year, 5 year and 4 year whisky (some finished in sherry casks).

Looks to me like they're doing the Ardbeg thing where they don't advertise age and blend different whisky's to get what they want. I'm totally ok with this as long as the final product tastes great.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I love Springbank whisky. I also love peated whisky.

I just found out that Longrow is peated whisky distilled at the Springbank distillery (I've been living under a rock).

I was going to get a bottle but read mixed reviews. Has anyone tried it, what did you think?

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Just opened my bottle of Springbank 10
I think I've found a new favorite scotch

In my opinion, Springbank doesn't get nearly enough love. It's probably because it doesn't have any standout characteristic like peat, or smoke or caramel. That said, I think that the balance is what makes it spectacular.

Bunnahabhain has a similar characteristic. Both are fantastic Whisky's.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I've been visiting Wisconsin for work and a bartender turned me on to New Richmond Rye from 45th Parallel distillery.

It's pretty good stuff, great mouthfeel, good balance, the only thing I would change would be to up the spice a little (it's a rye after all...) If you're in Minnesota or Wisconsin I recommend tracking a bottle down, it's definitely worth it.

Knucklebear fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 8, 2015

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

I've had this a few times recently, and it's great imo.

Really smooth (especially for its age) with heavy peat, made in OR.

McCarthy's is fantastic! One of my favorites.

I picked up a bottle of James E. Pepper 1776 rye the other day and was pretty disappointed. There's a tobacco/asphalt note that seems to dominate. It can be interesting neat but it didn't do well in cocktails. All in all I'd say that Rittenhouse or Bulliet rye are both tastier and more versatile at that price.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
Needing a drink while watching election results led me to open the bottle of Pikesville Rye that the in laws gave me.

I didn't have any expectations going into it but it ended up being the perfect beverage to get through the night. I found the spice and sweet to be really well balanced and it was almost too easy to drink even at 110 proof (after a couple drops of water).

I highly recommend it, I'll probably pick up another bottle when this one's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Jamsta posted:

Talking of Rye's, what's people's opinion on Pikesville?

Not the cheaper one, but the 6 year 110 proof?

Is it worth the money, if not what would you get instead?

That's the one I posted about a week or so ago.

It's pretty great, definitely worth it.