Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My usual bourbon is Buffalo Trace but I want to try something different. Price up to like $30. Suggestions?

e: Haven't really had a ton of different bourbons so it doesn't need to be obscure or anything, just a good change of pace from BT>

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

OK, so at this point I'm trying to decide between Wild Turkey 101 and Four Roses Small Batch. Any thoughts? :iiam:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

wormil posted:

Buy one now, the other next time. Unless you're buying it as your final act on Earth, in which case just rob the place and get something really expensive.

I mean yeah, worst case I flip a coin and still have a fifth of bourbon regardless. :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I hate Crown Royal. Go eat a buffet of dicks, Canadian whiskey.

I know not all Canadian booze is poo poo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

saltyslug posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I can get some of them here (e.g. Bulleit, Four Roses, Eagle Rare 10) so I'm making a spreadsheet i can consult when I'm over. Feel free to keep them coming.

Random thought: if you have any familiarity with more affordable bourbons and know which ones of those you like better, that might give you an idea of which more "upscale" bourbon you'd like best.

Eagle Rare > Buffalo Trace
Russell's Reserve > Wild Turkey 101
Four Roses Single Barrel > Four Roses Small Batch >> Four Roses yellow label

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

wormil posted:

:barf:

No I used to mix them when I was young, but I gave up sweetened drinks years ago and now can't stand them except that maybe once a year I get a craving for ginger ale or root beer.

Hmmm, well that makes sense. I've never really been a fan of either one but never associated those two. Just like Bookers > Beam, I guess. Never cared for either of those either. Though oddly I love Bakers which is also a Beam product.

My understanding is that they're exactly the same thing made in the same place, except Eagle Rare is just older.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm looking for a new bourbon to try that isn't too heavy on the oak flavors/smells. Price up to say $35.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 16, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

No kidding, I was thinking to myself, "If nobody suggests anything I'll just get some Eagle Rare to try, I guess." :effort:

e: It's funny how all over the place bourbon reviews are. Eagle Rare 10 gets everything from "IT'S A BOARD IN YOUR MOUTH Y'ALL" to barely using the word "oak" at all. I know it's a single barrel so there is a bit more variation, but just lol at some of that poo poo.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 17, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Has anybody tried Woodford Reserve orange bitters?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Made an Old Fashioned with Bushmills Black Bush because I was out of bourbon and was pleasantly surprised!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

Love that whiskey.

:agreed:

Also Four Roses Small Batch rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, but I really like this Eagle Rare I just got. I can't really explain why though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

wormil posted:

Wild Turkey is my favorite distillery although I do drink a lot of OGD100 which has a similar flavor to 101 but a little sweeter.

My next whiskey purchase will be one or the other of these. My experience with whiskey so far is pretty limited but basically breaks down like this:

Liked: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare 10, Bushmills Black Bush
Ehhhhh: Four Roses Small Batch, Jim Beam Black Label
Oh gently caress off: Crown Royal

Don't know if there's any logical pattern there or not. :iiam:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So I've gone through a few bourbons over the last year or so, and what I like and don't like as much seems to have no logical pattern whatsoever?

Was happy drinking it:

Buffalo Trace
Bullett

Fine, I guess:

Jim Beam Black (best just dumped in some Coke)
Eagle Rare 10 year (I only liked this when I just made hot toddies with it)

Actively disappointed:

Four Roses Small Batch

Is there any kind of pattern here? It seems like there is no pattern here. I want to try something different but have no idea what to go for next because there seems to be no logic to my preferences?.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

try Elijah Craig next, it's the only distillery you haven't hit

Wild Turkey?

Weird that you don't like Eagle Rare vs. Buffalo Trace and FRSB vs. Bulleit - they're essentially the higher end from those distilleries...

The Eagle Rare I got was just real boring and wood tasting, but not in the good way like you want. Just like... lumber-y? The FRSB I got had a slightly off chemical flavor to it I couldn't put my finger on.

The Bulleit and BT just tasted like straightforward bourbons. I had them like 6 months apart so I can't compare them directly, but both met my expectations.

The Jim Beam just tasted like a slightly worse version of that kind of thing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Got to taste some Bushmills 21 Year Old and um that's some seriously tasty stuff...

Aaaand I just saw the price per bottle and :signings:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rule Zero is that a person can drink their whiskey however they drat well please.

My personal rule of thumb is to try it neat first, and if I don't like that then to try adding a bit of water and/or ice, or make an Old Fashioned out of it.

If it's still bad then just dump it into coke/ginger ale.

If it can somehow ruin soda then it's just poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I got a tray for making bigass oversized ice cubes that barely fit in the glass, they dilute more slowly (and also don't cool as quickly, go figure) but mainly they just look cooler in a glass of booze.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So I'm nearing the end of my bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year old single barrel bottled in bond that I bought a couple years ago for $35, and realized that it's selling for like $90 now lol, so I'm not doing that again. It was really good, but not $90 good, what the actual gently caress.

ANYWAY, I need to find a bourbon to replace it. I know single barrels are pretty variable so that probably doesn't help much, I don't care specifically about bonded/age #/single barrel per se, but I do want something that's a good sipper for the money. I have some Woodford Reserve sitting around that's fine for mixing with things but doesn't quite do it neat or on the rocks for reasons I'm bad at pinning down.

Basically any random suggestions under $50 are fine! :v:

e: The only bourbon I remember really NOT liking outright was Four Roses Small Batch for some reason, which apparently makes me weird. :saddowns:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 16, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, the 120 proof one, is the bottle for you.

Not gonna lie, the 120 proof is kind of :stare: to me, think 100 is the hottest I've ever gone for.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So I went bourbon hunting and as much out of exhaustion as anything wound up buying Knob Creek Small Batch 9 YO for like $32.99.

I actually like it.

Compared it side by side to Woodford Reserve and Henry McKenna 10 year single barrel bottled in bond (whew!)

Woodford Reserve starts way sweeter but has some kind of aftertaste on the back end that I can't describe except it obviously sucks. Like almost some kind of metallic bitterness? It's weird.

McKenna's Bourbon Label Catchphrase Whorehouse has a lot going on but most of it is good. Probably still the best of the three overall, but nobody has it in stock near me and it looks like it's scalped to death online so that's kind of moot.

The Knob Creek 9 was maybe a little simpler flavor profile than Super McKenna All The Labels but also just kind of *pleasant* and lacking the weird bad taste on the backend of the WR.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Side note to liquor store staff: no I don't want the bottle with the hipster jackoff craft beer looking logo that's just rebottled MGP, and I don't want the stuff from your own personal distillery with the ink jet printed looking labels that you can't even legally call straight whiskey.

:bahgawd:

I did respect the old degenerate who just kept suggesting Old Grand Dad 114 because it's "got some hair on it."

:confuoot:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 22, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

wormil posted:

I went to a "speakeasy" style bar, whatever that means, with a very nice selection of liquor and asked for a Wild Turkey double and was told, "We don't dooo Wild Turkey," in a voice that sounds very much like you imagine. So I looked across this impressive collection of liquors, stood up, pissed on the bar, and walked out. No that didn't happen except in my imagination, but I ordered EC instead, downed it and walked out. LOL. The pretentiousness still has me laughing.

What makes it funnier is a bunch of "craft" bourbon they were probably jerkin it to is just relabeled MGP.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Data Graham posted:

How is Barrel Hitch bourbon(actually doesn't even claim to be bourbon or rye, just "American whiskey")? I found an unopened bottle while cleaning out the shop.

It looks pretty bad

If an American whiskey isn't labeled "straight _____ whiskey" assume it's utter poo poo.

This isn't snobbery, you can find incredibly cheap whiskey that meets the "straight "legal criteria, but if it's not straight whiskey it can have almost anything in it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Eagle Rare for <$35 is just...not going to happen anymore. IF I can even find it. Hell Buffalo Trace tastes similar (obviously) but rougher and it's now running at $35+ if you find it on the shelf.

I feel like I need to reset. What's everyone's favorite sipping bourbon for ~$30, easy to find, in the 80-90 proof range. I love barrel strength too but, honestly, sometimes it sneaks up on me when I don't need that much booze.

Like - what is your go-to, not a special occasion, sipping bourbon. Not for mixing. (Also I know Wild Turkey will be mentioned. For whatever reason, my local stores don't carry any WT product, including Russell. It's weird - maybe a distributor thing?)

I had the same problem and was surprised to discover how much I liked Knob Creek 9 year.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

They used to be common, but near as I can tell Buffalo Trace distillery products don't exist in the Nashville area now. It's crazy to me that Eagle Rare is gas station liquor anywhere lol.

Then again it's also crazy to me that people massively overpay for anything coming out of BT. Maybe I'm not enough of a connesur but Eagle Rare was just... nice bourbon, and there's lots of other nice bourbon you can drink instead.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm a big fan of High West. I just opened a bottle of the Rendezvous Rye and goddamn it's a trip. It's super herbal and floral up front and I don't taste that super often in rye/bourbon. Their yearly Midwinter Night's Dram is the one bottle I really try to seek out.

I'm super leery of anybody selling "a blend of straight bourbon/rye whiskey" since under US law you can put flavorings, colorings and "blending materials" :wtf: in those. It's a way to skirt the stricter rules for straight whiskey basically.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I've worked my way mostly through my bottle of Rittenhouse rye and am looking to replace it with a different rye. It's been good, but to me it has an off taste I pick up on sometimes that I can't put my finger on. Like maybe it's a little woody in a bad/cheap way? I'm not any good with tasting notes.

For the money it was real good, especially for mixing, but I kind of want to branch out on the rye side and find something I like better neat for like $50ish max?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just had some Wild Turkey 101 alongside some Knob Creek 9 year small batch & McKenna 10 year single barrel (both 100 proof.)

To me the WT101 tastes pretty close to Knob Creek 9, but it also tastes about $10 cheaper, which is about the price difference between the two. So... good job by both distillers? :haw:

Basically both hit similar sweet notes to me, but the WT101 just has more of a charred taste that's a little off for me and a bit more alcohol bite. It was better than I remembered, and definitely better than Woodford Reserve even without accounting for WR's markup over WT101.

The McKenna 10 continues to be the odd one out in both good and bad ways. It has a mustiness (?) that's very odd for bourbon but also a lot of good flavors in there, but since it's a single barrel God knows what somebody else's bottle would taste like by comparison. The one I got is definitely good, but I think the KC9 has an edge on it. When McKenna 10 sold for the same MSRP as KC9 that was fine, but now that it's hard to find and frequently marked up it's not worth the bother IMO.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Early Times (edit: the Bottled in Bond) is supposed to be good for how cheap it is, but the brand changed ownership recently so people seem unsure if/when what's in the bottle will change.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 21, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Tried some Maker's Mark for the first time. Don't like it.

WT101 neat had strong good flavors but also a charred note I didn't like. I'm not good at tasting notes so that might be the wrong thing to call it. But on the flipside Maker's Mark neat doesn't have anything objectionable, but also no actual good tastes either beyond an initial light sweetness. It's just sort of there.

Also made an old fashioned with each one. The WT101 one was baller AF, the charred note I didn't like went away pretty much and what was left was a boozy vanilla cinnamon bomb with sugar and more cinnamon from the bitters, it ruled. The Maker's Mark one was drinkable but had no good qualities, it was just alcohol, bitters and sugar with an orange peel. I even stuck a cherry in it in an effort to make it taste better.

WT101 neat doesn't *quite* work for me but I can understand why people dig it for the big vanilla and cinnamon spice notes that are good, but if you literally put anything in it you only taste the good stuff, while Maker's Mark was never good for me. Makers Mark also DOES have a note of bitterness I don't like that Knob Creek 9 doesn't, while KC9 also has flavors I actively like in it.

My tiers for recently tried bourbons run roughly like this:

S - N/A
A - Knob Creek 9y 100 proof, Henry McKenna 10y single barrel
B - WT101
C - Maker's Mark (see above), Four Roses Small Batch (doesn't agree with me at all), Woodford Reserve (overpriced, bad aftertaste), Basil Hayden's (overpriced)
D - Jack Daniel's Old #7

Other - It's been too long since I've had Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare to give it a fair grade now, and it's too hard to find that stuff now to care.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

Given your tier list, you might consider Old Forester 1920 (my favorite of the line). I think it's fantastic as both a sipper and in a cocktail and if you're looking for easily available, it's certainly that.

Just got my first McKenna 10 and my response to it is also uncertain. Glad I only paid $50 for it; I'd be annoyed if I paid a marked-up price (some would argue the $50 is already that). Gonna pour myself another sip tonight, but in my two tries, one was fairly blah and the other positive so can't say I'm sure yet as to WHAT it is.

Yeah 1920 is one I'm looking at hard for my next bottle, and it's all over the place here for $60.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Seems like you like the heaven hill / beam profile which are similar
You can step it up on the knob creek with a 120 proof single barrel / store pick or baker's 107 (or bookers) even if you're willing to spend

I'd also suggest some Elijah Craig (small batch or barrel proof) as an alternative to the McKenna but heaven hill is on strike so there's a boycott right now

Old Ezra / Ezra Brooks is Heaven Hill distillate but sold by lux row so that's probably fair game and in your palate

Likewise Russell's reserve 10 year or single barrel are probably up your alley given how you liked WT101 and Rare Breed is always a crowd pleaser

Lastly, Barton stuff is pretty easy to find and 1792 small batch is probably worth a shot to see if you like their profile

Baker's 107 confuses me because it seems like it's competing with KC9 store barrel picks that cost the same, are older and 120 proof, and with KC12 that's similar proof (100 vs 107, so what) but much older. At least the way it's priced around here.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Having a day so I poured some Weller Full Proof and I felt like I was drinking cough syrup for some reason - moods, eh?
Switched to a knob creek store pick and I'm much happier with this Reese's cup

Taste is subjective etc. but the cool whiskey kids not liking Knob Creek proves that they are not in fact cool and good, but rather bad and dumb.

Well that's my hot take for the day.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

This might be a dumb question couple of questions:

1) Does anybody else not like the heavily charred taste note in Wild Turkey 101? Or do other people not even taste it in the first place?
2) Do the higher end Wild Turkey/Russell's Reserve products have it?

It might just be me, but I'd love WT101 instead of just like it OK if it didn't have that "dropped a cookie in a fire until it turns into charcoal" thing going on that I don't taste in other bourbons.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm taking neat, I liked WT101 a lot better in an old fashioned FWIW

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I find normal Makers to be gross but haven't tried any of their nicer stuff.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

What whiskeys are people on the lookout for/planning to buy soon?

My list in rough order of availability:

Old Forester Rye
Old Forester 1920 or maybe 1910
Teeling Single Malt
Knob Creek 12 Year
New Riff 6 Year Malted Rye (supposedly more widely available soon...ish? :iiam:)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just tried New Riff's basic bottled in bond bourbon.

For being 4 years old I'm super impressed.

For being $40 I'm... less impressed, though I do rate it better than a lot of generic bourbon standbys like 4 Roses Small Batch, Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve.

For me it clearly loses to Knob Creek 9 that's cheaper and the (maybe kinda sorta available at MSRP?) $40 Henry McKenna 10 year.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just had Pikesville Rye, it's real good. It's priced above Rittenhouse but drat is it an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

They reached a tentative deal with the union today (probably thanks to the email I sent). :toot:

Of course I read this news and promptly discover nobody near me has Pikesville in stock anyway. :mad: