Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is there a time of year more "interesting" bourbons tend go get released? I'm not hunting for any of the rare/allocated stuff, but it seems like all the liquor stores around here have *nothing* but the most common bourbons lately when they usually have a sprinkling of some weird stuff here and there.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

GD_American posted:

I forgot to mention that at the last event I went to, there was a 43 year Canadian Club.

Would that just taste like licking the inside of the barrel?

Maybe used barrels plus cold climate means it's not that bad?

:shrug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Got a Knob Creek single barrel select rye store pick, it's 6 years old, 115 proof and is pretty great!

GD_American posted:

Reviews seem pretty complimentary, but it's still 350 bucks for a bottle of Canadian Club.

Yeah, I'd never, ever buy that lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nimmy posted:

Wild Turkey 101 Rye is pretty good, I just picked up a bottle along with a store pick Russell's. I'm dangerously close to becoming a full on Wild Turkey fanboy.

Wild Turkey is one of those things where either the particular "funk" in their whiskeys agrees with you, in which case you just just keep buying different Wild Turkey products forever, or it just tastes like charred moldy raisins or something and will never agree with you.

I think it's like cilantro where to a certain % of people it tastes like soap and everyone else thinks it's fine.

spankmeister posted:

What do you guys use your bad or mediocre whisk(e)y for? You know, the ones you were gifted, or you got as part of a deal but aren't happy with, or just didn't live up to expectations and are now just sitting on your shelf collecting dust.

Cocktails?

Lemon flavored soda water (like LaCroix or whatever), ice and mediocre whiskey often tastes surprisingly good mixed together.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Man this is some cursed poo poo.

Makes me feel less bad about my irrational enthusiasm for Knob Creek 9 year I guess?

E: some snipe lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

spankmeister posted:

No bourbon is worth a penny ober $60 change my mind

OF1920 seems to be $65 around here instead of $60?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

As long as KC9 is uncool forever I'll be OK.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

You guys seem to like Wild Turkey and I’m intrigued. We have 81 and 101 available in my province, are either of those good?

101 is widely seen as a bang for the buck king in the US, but it has a kind of funky note that people either a) don't pick up on at all, b) love or c) hate.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

spankmeister posted:

The 81 I'd leave on the shelf, the 101 is good and the Rare Breed is great.

IIRC the old WT80 was younger/shittier than 101 in addition to being lower proof, while the 81 that replaced it is literally 101 + H2O.

I think the price difference is pretty much proportional to the proof difference lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

There is also Buffalo Trace for a couple bucks more. Which would be better as an intro to bourbon?

BT availability is incredibly hit or miss, but if you can get it for a couple bucks more than 101 I'd go with BT

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WT101 has a lot of fans but it's more of a love it or hate it product IMO. It's also a bit hot for a bourbon newbie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pikesville rules, I got a KC rye barrel pick just over 6 years old that's pretty good too but Pikesville is still my rye king.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

The place I went to had sold out of Buffalo Trace and based on what I like the guy said WT101 might be a bit out of my league. They didn’t have any in, but he said Knob Creek is a pretty good starting point. They had the rye version, but I think I want to try the original before going to the flankers.

FWIW I like the standard Knob Creek 9 year bourbon better than either BT or WT101. It's usually easy to get too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

My take is that MGP is generally making good poo poo, it's just that bottlers trying to pass it off as SUPER PREMIUM HEIRLOOM CRAFT SMALL BATCH ARTISNAL :words: with distilled in Indiana hidden on the back are absolute fuckfaces.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I just got a bottle of Pikesville Rye at MSRP, and holy poo poo it's good :sbahj:

Have a bottle of 6 year old Knob Creek single barrel rye that I thought was good, but it tastes like battery acid compared to Pikesville even though they're almost the same age and proof.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

OK, let's go more in depth here and have a 3-way :quagmire: rye-off

Pikesville (110 proof, at least 6 years old, $50) - This is basically my straight rye benchmark now. Great balance of sweet, fruity and spicy, drinks nowhere near as hot as 110 proof suggests, I'm a fussy baby and can't pick out any flaws in it. I always want to have some of this stuff on hand now.

Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond (100 proof, 4 years old, $25) - Like Pikesville it's distilled by Heaven Hill, and both have the same mashbill, so on paper Rittenhouse is just younger and a touch lower proof. In reality it tastes much, much worse. It has a weird solvent note and tastes kind of musty. Can seem a bit grassy? Fine for mixing but doesn't cut it neat. It's half the price and is half as good as Pikesville, so that's fair I guess?

Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye (115 proof, just over 6 years, $45) - On paper it's a Pikesville competitor, but in reality it's not. It doesn't have the weird off notes of Rittenhouse but it drinks hot as BALLS for only having 5 more proof and the BLACK PEPPER JESUS WEPT just overwhelms everything. Here's the experience 1) *sniff* that's nice, 2) *sip* kind of sweet OH poo poo BLACK PEPPER 3) finish is fine? It's a single barrel so God knows what a different barrel might taste like :iiam:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I picked up a new EWSB to be my daily drinker. This one was aged for a month under 8 years. It's fine but at this point in my whiskey journey it just tastes flat, like water. I'm guess Rare Breed will be my daily drinker.

I mean yeah, it's going to seem watery compared to Rare Breed, because...it has substantially more water in it. :haw:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just tried Blanton's and... it's fine? It seems more like it lacks negative flavors than has any amazing good ones. I hate to be That Guy but I don't get the hype.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Got my taste of Blanton's from a half empty bottle at a bar FWIW.

Stagg Jr first taste!

It's definitely better than Blanton's. It has a very faint note that I don't care for, but it at least tastes like something. Pretty hot but didn't blow my head off like I thought it might. A little water really helps. Is there some kind of cherry/black liquorice thing going on here?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I picked up a bottle of Knob Creek (Store Clearance, saved $7CAD) and it tastes pretty good. Not blown away by it, but I found it very similar to some Scotches I've had.

I may pick up another bottle in a couple weeks, though the neat mini doc Wild Turkey has on their website makes me tempted to try a bottle of 101. It was so bizarre to hear that Master Distillers from other companies (aka rivals) contact Jimmy Russell for advice and he freely gives it to help them with their bourbon.

I always got the impression that the old Kentucky master distiller guys tend to be pretty chill with each other.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Carillon posted:

I tend to like the knob creek 9 a fair bit as a daily driver. I'm not sure how it compares to the regular bottle, but the 9 is good.

Pretty sure KC 9 year is the regular one now. It replaced the generic KC small batch a few years ago.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

spankmeister posted:

I like how Dickel puts Dickel on the label like it's a good thing.

:haw:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

What do people think of Makers Mark 46 vs the regular version? 46 isn't the best thing I ever had but I liked it a lot better than the generic version.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I'm in the Nashville airport. Any of these particularly worth getting?

No

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

For me ice amplifies the bad flavors in whiskey. If it's too hot I add a little water. It's not a macho thing, just a figuring out what suits your personal tastes thing.

But I also think WT101 has a gross weird burnt sour funk that ruins it, so my taste buds might just be weird.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

A local place had Larceny barrel picks that were 8 years old for like $25+tax, seemed like a deal so I grabbed one. I like it but it's a completely different flavor profile than I'm used to, like the nose/taste have a noticeable apple note and then there's a kind of prickly spiciness at the end.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Maybe I just got a bad botte, but I bought some Woodford Reserve orange bitters a while back and they were nasty.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I just got a bottle of New Riff 6 year malted rye, and I like it... but my brain can't figure out wtf I'm tasting specifically. Like I'm not great at elaborate tasting notes anyway, but this is throwing me hard.

Uh...powdered sugar, dried orange, herbal tea? I just made that poo poo up, I really can't parse this because it's way different from every other rye I've had.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

Four Roses Single Barrel/Barrel Proof private picks are usually pretty stellar, same with the Elijah Craig SBBP.

Those are the ones that stand out to me too FWIW

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Bouillon Rube posted:

This for sure

I like Diplomatico Riserva Exclusiva.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

What's rye whisky like? Anything notably different?

It's got a kind of spicy taste compared to bourbon.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Bottled in Bond is kind of archaic now, but it basically invented modern good American whiskey as a real thing you could consistently buy and know what you were getting every time. Before that American whiskey could literally be any kind of gross dumb poo poo and be legal.

I guess it's interesting to require all the barrels mixed for the bottling to be from the same season, but it's not innately "better" than any other 100 proof straight whiskey with the same minimum age.

I believe it also has some tax advantages for the distillery.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 15, 2022

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I can confirm that Wild Turkey 101 is indeed a good whiskey for people who like rye. More of a “classic bourbon” taste than something like Bulleit. There are so many cheap whiskeys that are just crap, but this one is pretty good. My only real complaint, given the $20 price point, is that, like a lot of whiskey above about 90 proof, it has a kind of weird viscosity and stickiness to it that I don’t care for when taken neat. Probably enjoy this one on the rocks.

Thank you for reading my review of this cheap bourbon that pretty much everyone in this thread tried 20 years ago.

I almost like WT101, but It just has this weird burnt musty note I can't put my finger on that ruins it for me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Piss Creep posted:

Is the standard version Buffalo Trace any good?

I'm not a whisky or bourbon person generally. I love Laphroaig 10 and Highland Park 12, but generally drink J&B or Suntory Kakubin in highballs when it comes to Whisky.

Personally I think its pretty great, like bigger and bolder Jack Daniels, it smells fantastic like vanilla and cinnamon buns and some kind of winter tea blend? A Mens Potpurri? A bit much for me as a straight sipper, though, having it on a lot of ice until I make some highballs later.

I mean if you like it who cares?

But yeah, it's generally seen as a very good affordable bourbon whose only real problem is that it's hard to get or heavily marked up in some areas of the country (while being in gas stations for $20 in others.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Data Graham posted:

The thing is after a long time trying I'm still very unclear on what makes a whiskey "good" or "bad". I can tell them apart with practice, but as far as making a quality judgment I don't know what the criteria should be.

And I wouldn't want to have a "bad" thing on my shelf or innocently offer it to a horrified guest

Not trying to be an rear end, but the quality judgment is literally "do you, personally, like the taste or not?"

It's INSANELY subjective and "expert" reviewers regularly disagree all over the price spectrum. Other than complying with quality laws there's virtually nothing objective about it.

The only truly bad whiskey is either bottom shelf cheap garbage (and some cheap whiskey is still OK!) or deceptively labeled/marketed/massively overpriced.

Hell, even then you have whiskey simps saying Sweetens Cove made from rejected Dickel barrels that smelled like expired beef jerky and sold for triple the price of Dickel is actually good (to use a hilariously exaggerated example.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

adnam posted:

Maybe it's time for us to start Hyper-Decanting our whiskeys a la The Menu

Can somebody suggest me a bourbon that tastes like a scotch. I want spice, I want weird flavors, I want smoke I want funk. I found a bottle of Rare Beast Rye and was very happy but not entirely sure I'm a big bourbon guy versus say paying too much money for Octomore variants.

New Riff Backsetter?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

stratego posted:

Don't get the Willet 8 unless you're planning to flip it. (Don't)
Get the WLW.

Yeah my instinct was that the Willet 8 was the weakest option. Of course it's all subjective.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the point of Baker's 7 when Knob Creek single barrels from the same distillery are older and higher proof? Are the Baker's supposed to be "nicer" cherry-picked barrels or something, or is it just a worse product?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Was surprised to see a bottle of Sazerac Rye for $29.99 instead of an empty space labeled $50+ and bought it.

It's nice! Has a fruit note (cherry?) along with the usual vanilla + rye spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

I feel like it's hard to find actual rot gut on the bottom shelf anymore. Pretty much everything I've had was fine, if a little sweet or boring.

A lot of the rot gut I've found is in the $30-50 range where there's a lot of gimmicky or attention grabbing poo poo out there. The whiskey in the oil can, everything from Hudson, smaller craft places trying out alternate grains, etc. From my experience, if it comes in one of the rectangular 750ml bottles, it's a 50/50 chance it's going to be terrible.

Yeah, most cheap straight bourbon from the big guys is at least drinkable. Gimmicks are where the real bottled piss is at.