Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

siig posted:

I think there are some bugs on Sedona Club Circuit (maybe on all versions of Sedona) that makes clean laps become dirty for no reason.

I get laps marked dirty for seemingly no reason at all, and I can't figure out why. I don't follow motorsport at all, but I've put hundreds of hours combined into FM2 and 3. I thought there might be something I'm missing. On a lot of tracks I'll be going on a straight, or into/ out of a turn, with no one around and see the ! Flashing. This also happens a lot when going past the start finish line, the lap will just become insta-dirty for no reason that I can tell.

Regardless, this game is amazingly fun, I just got a Shelby Daytona Le Mans car as a level 30 reward and the thing is a blast. Sounds great, fast as hell and so much grip. When it lets go, its just so manageable, I was drifting around the Bernesse Alps like it was no bodies business.

I don't know if LLJK is still full, but I put in a request. GT : Molgandhi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

L_Harrison posted:

- Contact, whether with walls or cars
- Cutting courses. If your center of the car is over the edge of the course, you get invalidated. Some courses are different whether they include the rumble strips or not in this calculation
- Draft. You get invalidated laps for being roughly ~1 second behind a car or in front of a car if your speed is 100mph or above.

Avoid these and you get a clean lap for the leaderboard.

1) Contact and cutting corners I had figured, but holy gently caress I never would have guessed drafting makes laps dirty. The game rates your drafts! It's like, "4/4 Good Job drafting, man! ...But that's illegal."

2) How can you avoid drafting then? If a car is ~one second faster then yours, what's a guy to do? if I slow, the gap will increase so I won't get penalized, but his car is faster then mine. If I let up he's gunna dust me, and if I could be faster then him, well, there wouldn't be this issue.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

SirViver posted:

Does it actually matter? As far as I understand the dirty indicator only affects you if you want to hotlap for the leaderboards or rivals mode, and in neither should you have AI cars around (that race you). If drafting didn't invalidate the lap you could gain an unfair advantage - for laptime comparison - by having someone else (or coaxing the AI into) letting you draft them on straights that would offset an otherwise crippling downforce or power penalty for example.

That makes sense, if people want to run the leaderboard, they shouldn't have the advantage of drafting to help. I guess it just pisses me off because it makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

SirViver posted:

That said, I don't have the full version yet, do you actually get bonus points for "clean" laps?

No. Not in world tour, anyway.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
OK, so I'm just starting the Masters series of World Tour, and I goto the event list to see how things are coming along there, and certain races you do in world tour don't transfer over to the event list.

We've established the reason for this is that in world tour, it will offer you an event on a specific track, but on the Event list, that event never takes place on that track.

Is there any way to avoid doing races in world tour that aren't on the event list? You can understand what a pain in the rear end it would be if say, you do four races of the North America Tour A in the World Tour, then you go to the event list, and you have do that entire series again, on four different tracks.

There's SO MANY races in the event list, why would they present you options in world tour that aren't on the event list?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

go3 posted:

Anyone else just drive straight through autocross and give no fucks about winning it?

I take the opposite approach, take it super slow and go through all the gates. They give you sooo much time, without taking 5 second penalties you should pass no problem.

Now that I'm in GISH, what's the best way to get in some online goon racing? I've seen enough of the career mode for now.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Dbhjed posted:

How does Career Progress work? I am on race 3 of the Expert series but my progress is only 3%. How do you progress more?

GreatGreen posted:

So, how does the World Tour mode work, mechanically speaking? Does the game just throw you a randomized track and three randomized events leveled to your car or player level, one after the other forever?

Progress is based off how much of the Event List you've completed. The pisser is that they often give you events in World Tour that don't exist in the Event List. It could say "Your next race is at Silverstone!" and you would choose, for example, the Class B World Tour and finish that. Then you go to the Event List, only to find you've completed "0/5" races in the Class B World Tour, because that event never actually takes place on that track.

The only way I've found to combat this is too look at the three choices in world tour, then go back to the event list and find one of those three events that takes place on the track you're at in world tour, then go back to the world tour screen and race it.

It does not matter the configuration, direction or number of laps. As long as that event takes place on that track in the event list, completing on the world tour will also complete it on the event list.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Nounverber posted:

Word, it was my first time setting up a goon game so I thought I'd send out club invites. The soccer game mode is amazing. :v:

I'm dying to get a goal in GISH Soccer. I swear the buzzer went moments before my partner and I were about to net our first goal. can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Drunken Extreme Multi-Class (AKA Two Bear) racing was amazingly fun last night on GISH. If only I could have moved up a class in 3 hours :negative:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Cannot Find Server posted:

I think everyone who beats his time gets a Ferrari 360 CS, regardless of region.

I beat his time by a tenth of a second, but I haven't received any gift car yet. The Facebook app still shows an old time though, a couple seconds slower then his. Did everyone get the gift car immediately?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I'm so glad new York circuit is gone, that track was a snooze. My top 3 in this game are Road Atlanta, Bernie's, and the Top Gear track. It might just be the scenery, or the fact that it's new, but I just find Bernie's is so fun to drive.

So far I'm not to fond of Hockemheim ring, but Infineon is a great addition.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing you never played the version with chicanes? Or maybe you never played multiplayer? It was kind of boring alone, but with other people, it was amazing. Racing neck and neck with someone, playing chicken to see who gets to go through the chicane first. The ends always killed me, they should fix that, but it was a zen like experience getting the chicanes right every time.

Chicanes yes, Online no. I can see how it would be a fun track with a full grid online, but every time it came up in Forza 2 single player (I can't even remember how SP was laid out in that game) it was like a death sentence.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
The original Hot Pursuit was the greatest Need for Speed title.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

GhostDog posted:

As I understand it, some manufacturers give out exclusive licenses, so you have to get a sublicense from the current holder if you want that brand in your game. Ferrari is held by MS, Porsche is held by EA. Personally, in terms of advertising to the right demographic, I think if you are Porsche you're probably somewhat better off appearing in Forza or Gran Turismo than Need for Speed: The Run. Some of these games are bought by car people, some not.

Keep in mind I have zero evidence to back this claim, but,

I'm of the opinion that T10 intentionally excluded porches just so they could release a dlc pack of 10 of them and collect the 8 bucks or whatever it is for them.

If they realllly wanted the license I'm sure they could have bought it, but they are just waiting for it to expire or waiting to pony up the cash, so they can pass those charges onto us (through paid dlc)

If anyone has a link to prove me wrong, I'd like to see it, but the whole thing just seems like more of a business decision then a licensing issue.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Liku posted:

Do I have to own the car, upgrade it, then select it when I pick the challenge?

Yup. Just pick it from your garage. You can also try out cars from the club garage in rivals.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I had no trouble beating the target times on the previous KotT events, but this month is brutal. That track is not fun, all the corners look the same, and it's so wide I can't figure out a good line, because I always arrive at each corner at a different place on the track. Also that car is trying to kill me, all I have to do is look at it funny and the back whips around. And what's with the curbs on Indy, they aren't really tall or anything, but anytime I touch it the wheel slips off and I start spinning out...again.

Regarding that Wiesmann, it does ride hard as gently caress, but my problem is with the brakes. The issue is that they don't... stop the car.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Otherwise there will be 34 cars left over once they pick/receive their cars (16 of which are 'skittles' cars).

I thought they were all spoken for as well. I would love to have one. You did an amazing job on all of them, just choose a livery that you think will suit me. I trust your judgement.

GT: Molgandhi

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I'm so done with KotT. 25 more laps, with TCS on this time. First time since Forza 2 that I've done that. I managed to shave about 2 seconds down to 1:34.273, but that track is so poorly designed, I just can't stand to run it anymore. It's like they never designed it to be fun to drive on, they just designed it like that because that was the most efficient use of the infield grass on their stupid god forsaken oval.

Interestingly enough, my hot lap time was identical, down to the 1/1000 of a second, to Wanderer512. Bet I couldn't do that again even if I tried.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Jarf posted:

Posting some Noble lovin'
[tIMG]http://i.imgur.com/TjJQR.jpg][/tIMG]

This game has Nobles? under what manufacturer?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
That's why I couldn't find it, thanks.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

General Probe posted:

Ahem, the Rossion Q1 is a slightly reworked Noble M400

Yup, this car is awesome. Thanks for the tip.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I liked the Cayman. I think I had a Planet Express Cayman in one of these games. It was a fun, tail-happy little car.

I would put a Planet Express livery on anything. Now I wanna do this. If only I wasn't terrible at using that editor.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
These videos have got me super excited for Horizons. Forza cars/physics, TDU gameplay, and Dirt2 menus and appearance? Yes please!

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

ANAmal.net posted:

a) Just do whatever and don't give a poo poo, and you'll get money. I'm like level 90 and I have about nine million spacebucks despite buying and modifying whatever the gently caress I feel like, so it's really hard to be poor in this game.

This is true, except for what was just mentioned, after 150 you don't get a bonus for leveling. Once those 250000 forza-chedder bonuses dry up you earn credits pretty slow in single player, so rivals or multilayer lobbies against AI is the way to go.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

Well, gently caress me running if the Ferrari 312 isn't the best car in the game.

I like the way the chromed tailpipes are exposed and reflect the sun and road. It photographs really well.

But my favorite sound might be the Shelby Daytona

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I just sent a request to join AUGR under GT: Molgandhi, because GISH was empty for rivals. I think I'm on the spreadsheet... At least I'm on a spreadsheet. If someone could post a link to the current one that'd be swell.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

DotFortune posted:

Is this game still worth buying, or have I missed the hype?

Forza 5 probably won't be around until the next generation, so yea, if you like cars buy it.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

ethanol posted:

Is there a horizon thread?

Yes. [url] http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488727&pagenumber=39&perpage=40 [/url]

I'm pretty sure the only unskippable stuff is the opening video and the little tutorials the first time you race each event type.

You should probably turn down/off the in game music/radio, and your enjoyment will increase accordingly.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I can't crack 50 seconds on Maple Valley either. I don't know if it's because I'm bad at upgrading cars, or because I'm slow. I'm afraid I am just slow :(

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I almost got my time down to 50 seconds, after trying almost all the cars (that I have purchased.) I didn't realize how much DLC I had for this game.

I haven't had a chance to tune a care for Infineon yet, if I do I'll post it here when I can record a good lap.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

speedtek posted:

So Horizon is $15 today. Worth it?

Yes. Doesn't have the replay value of 4 due to much less cars, and the dumbed down physics and lack of dirty laps makes the rivals not as competitive.

Totally worth $15 though.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
I'm going to buy it. I'm going to buy all of it. I do all my gaming on PC these days, and I don't anticipate owning any other games on the Xbone, but that will not stop them from taking all my disposable income.
I can't wait to get toasted by your guys' Drivatars.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

Bentai posted:

Did anyone else have their Forza 4 Rewards screw up and gift them two GT 500s?

No, I only got one GT500.

On a similar note, does anyone else notice that the Forza Rewards site runs like crap on Chrome browser? On most pages I just get the orange loading circle spinning indefinitely.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

burtonos posted:

You know I only run one spec, dice racing. Go yell at Lama.

I'm just finishing a car now. Send me an invite when the lobby is open. GT: molgandhi

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

edit: Just went to the forzamotorsport.net forums for the first time in a while. Looks like the did a re-design. Did they get rid of all the old posts and start from scratch? There were a few topics I was looking for in the tuning section but it looks like there's only one page of threads in there now?

I remember reading in a news post that the new forum is from scratch, but that they would maintain the old forums for some amount of time so people could get any info before it gets shut down for good. This was in the first or second week of January, but I didn't pay any attention since I've never read or posted on the official forums before.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

JPrime posted:

Can you somehow upgrade a car just in the free play/hot lap thing?

You have to buy and upgrade it in career mode. You can access your garage cars from hot lap mode. If you need more forzabux to buy cars try Rivals mode.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I miss a lot of the old tracks and a few of the old cars. I'm interested in hosting some dice racing on tracks not included in fm5 tonight around 9 eastern until I get tired. Anyone interested?

Sure, why not?

I could use some Infineon and Suzuka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Does the DLC ever go on sale. I want to score the Porsche pack but with Christmas so close, it seems foolish to get it right now.

Yea, it does on occasion. I got the porsche pack for half price, I think on the Boxing day (:canada:) after it came out, and I saw the FM5 Season Pass was on special for Black Friday this year.

• Locked thread