Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Aagh stop talking about The Killing, I keep confusing it with The Killing which is a pretty good early Kubrick movie that is unfortunately not streaming anymore.

In any case, How to Get Ahead in Advertising is expiring in 5 days, so I went ahead and watched it and that was a very good choice. It's a stupendous satire, if you ask me (some people seem not to have liked it so much). Richard Grant turns in a marvelous performance. If his speech at the beginning and his speech at the end don't do it for you, and the wonderful enthusiasm with which he throws himself into his character's twists and turns aren't gripping, then at least watch it for the black humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is not a masterpiece, but if you've just finished watching a bunch of other horror/slasher films, it's extremely funny.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

screenwritersblues posted:

Where can I read this? It seems interesting.

I'm going to watch The Towering Inferno tonight before it disappears.

http://www.amazon.com/They-Live-Focus-Jonathan-Lethem/dp/159376278X

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I was talking to some friends about Netflix today and all of us were sort of wondering the same thing. Can someone explain why Netflix ever takes anything off instant watch? It doesn't make sense to me; it seems like once they have it on a hard drive somewhere that there's not a real enormous cost to keeping it available. Wouldn't it be worth the storage space to be able to advertise "FIVE THOUSAND MOVIES AVAILABLE ON DEMAND!" rather than seemingly wasting time and effort (not to mention annoying the poo poo out of people) taking things up and down?

I'm sure there's a good explanation for it... right? Maybe it's really expensive to store/serve for some reason?

Oh and you should watch Rango if you haven't. I watched it last night and loved it so much I bought the Blu-ray today. Rattlesnake Jake is such a loving bad rear end I want him to have his own movie or even series of movies.

"YOU GO TO HELL!"
"Where do you think I'm from, little miss?"
The streaming stuff isn't based on technical limitations, it's based on what they have a license to stream.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The OSS 117 movies were gone for a while, right? Well, they're back, and if you enjoy spy movies, comedy movies, French movies, French comedy movies, French spy movies, spy comedy movies, comedy spy movies, Jean Dujardin, jokes about religion, or movie movie movies, you absolutely must watch OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and OSS 117: Lost in Rio. These movies are what the Austin Powers movies wish they could be and what Archer would be if it were a French movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
http://streamingcriterions.com/

Updates automatically.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

VaultAggie posted:

My friend told me it was based on a book but I really enjoyed the movie and it's fairly convoluted plot.
This is a funny sentence for a number of reasons.

Y Tu Mamá También is expiring in about a week and it's a pretty great romance/bildungsroman, especially if you can put up with teenagers.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Depending on what you mean by "top tier" and "thriller," we have off the top of my head:

The Stranger
A Clockwork Orange
Thief
The Lady Vanishes
Memento
The Third Man
Transsiberian
Reservoir Dogs
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Oldboy
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
The Constant Gardener
Radioland Murders (just kidding, this is a bad movie, but it's also kind of fun)
Marathon Man

And so on?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rurea posted:

Is there any way to view Oldboy and the other two movies with subtitles instead of the English dubbed versions. A friend and I started watching it and the English dub just kind of ruins it for us.

Hold on, I just streamed Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance a week or two ago and that was definitely subtitled. I haven't checked out Oldboy or Sympathy for Lady Vengeance yet but at least the first one is fine.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I haven't seen Candyman (don't like horror movies) but I'll just go ahead and assume that it's super racist.

So on a much happier note, One, Two, Three is streaming (and has been for a while). It's a lesser-known Billy Wilder comedy that's probably one of the fastest moving comedies I've ever seen. It has some nice on-location shots of Berlin, a car chase, jokes about Communism, jokes about Capitalism, jokes about Coca Cola, jokes about the South... definitely worth a watch. It's lots of fun. You won't go 5 minutes without laughing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The only ones off the top of my head that I can think of are La Cage aux Folles which is streaming and 12:08 East of Bucharest which isn't.

edit: Great Britain is a foreign country, innit?

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 29, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Movies expiring soon that are worth watching(?):

The Third Man: A film noir of incomparable quality. A classic if there ever was one. A must watch.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three: A fun, tense thriller. Walter Matthau makes everything good. My favorite part of this movie is how much effort it puts into setting up a joke.

And three I haven't seen but that I think I'll try to catch before they disappear:
My Man Godfrey: Everyone needs a Man Godfrey.
The Trial: Orson Welles plus Kafka? It's like peanut butter and chocolate! But instead of chocolate, existential dread.
Un Chien Andalou: You've heard of it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You could watch Terriers. That's a good one.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
For everyone getting into Drive for the first time via streaming, think about following it up with Thief, one of its biggest inspirations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I liked Drive, but I really can't take Albert Brooks seriously in a role like that. That's the biggest thing about it that didn't work for me.

I like to think Albert Brooks plays the same character he did in Taxi Driver. Dude realized that bad boys get all the chicks and went way overboard.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

red19fire posted:

That's what some of the reviews said at the time. The director basically confused style for substance, and then doubles down on the style. Gosling tries to channel Steve McQueen's cool, without any of the nuance or charm. It's a gorgeous movie with a tiny bit of symbolism shoehorned in (the scorpion, the mask), but ultimately one-dimensional characters. If more of the other characters were more fleshed out while Gosling remained stoic and silent, it would have been much more engaging. Every character in a film cannot communicate via smoldering gaze.

It's very well-made and looks fantastic, but just lacks something, like the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Despite its shortcomings, it's still one of the best of the year, even though most of the hype comes from the HOLLYWOOD IS OUT OF IDEAS :hurr: crowd.
This really ought to go in the Drive thread but someone in there linked a review that said about what you did, only more extensively, and the general consensus is that you're missing the point. They're not trying to "channel Steve McQueen's cool" but failing because they don't have the nuance or charm. They're trying to push this kind of vigilante character to its logical conclusion: he's nearly mute, a cypher not because he hides it but because he's largely empty, and basically a psychopath with the emotional maturity of a child. His "smoldering gaze" is horrifying rather than reassuring because the kind of person who goes around killing people isn't a wise-cracking Steve McQueen. He's a cold blooded murderer.

The something that you think it lacks is the thin veneer of humanity that action movies paste over their ruthless killers to make you feel like they're still good people and that they're just doing what it takes to get the job done. The Driver's not a cop or a semi-noble "The Man With No Name" mercenary sort: he's a straight up criminal, and that should be the first clue that the hero was supposed to be closer to De Niro in Taxi Driver or Caan in Thief than McQueen in Bullitt or Eastwood in Dirty Harry.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Volume posted:

What did I miss besides The Driver not looking over to the babysitter?

Driver: "Is he a bad guy?"
Kid: "Yeah."
Driver: "How can you tell?"
Kid: "'Cause... he's a shark."
Driver: "There's no good sharks?"
Kid: "No. I mean, just look at him. Does he look like a good guy to you?"

90% of this scene is lost when you can't see the driver's face or hear his tone of voice, but:

He asks "there's no good sharks?" because he wants the kid to tell him that no, actually there are some good sharks. When the kid says "no, just look at him, etc." the driver is staring sadly off at the TV (ignoring the knock on the door and the person coming in). He's a shark (aka A CRIMINAL for those in the audience who are kind of slow) and the kid has just told him that a shark can never be a good guy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension last night and, uh, that sure was something.

It's not just something! It's everything! I love that movie. It simultaneously spoofs and lovingly imitates science fiction that builds a massive universe for no reason other than to build a massive universe.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Don't forget that the half-American, half-Japanese brain surgeon rock star nuclear physicist is also a secret agent who has a direct line to the president, and is also played by Peter Weller.

Buckaroo Banzai is amazing because it intentionally tries to explain as little about the Buckaroo Banzai universe as possible, and tries to keep the audience confused.
That's barely even half of it: he's world famous and has not just one but two groups of people who volunteer their time to help him do whatever it is he does to keep the world safe from whatever sorts of things he keeps it safe from.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The streaming version of Videodrome has weird audio mixing: all the dialog is in the left channel. Stay away and stick with the DVD/Amazon's streaming version if you don't want to be wondering why all the people are to your left all the time.

edit: and speaking of Videodrome, if you're a James Woods fan, The Hard Way is expiring soon. My most accounts it's somewhere between mediocre and OK, but I would rate it solidly "good." If you want to watch Michael J. Fox be funny then this is your best bet outside of Back to the Future.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 28, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Aardvark Barber posted:

A few friends and I watched Earth Girls Are Easy the other night, and we aren't sure if what we saw was a real movie, or a crazy fever dream...
I have a soft spot for that movie. Really, just watching Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey, and Damon Wayans clown around for a while is hard to not enjoy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rhyno posted:

It's not a film but I'm watching BSG on Netflix and even though it clearly says it's in HD this is obviously an SD copy of 3x17 I'm watching. It's grainy and has artifacting issues. Does this happen a lot with Netflix?
Are you sure it's not your connection temporarily crapping out/being slow?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Gotta add Lethal Weapon into the mix!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

maxnmona posted:

Looks like Adventureland just got added too. I guess I would describe it as "pretty good" and "probably worth watching".
Adventureland is one of my favorite bildungsromans of the past few years. "Pretty good" is spot on.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some good stuff xpiring June 30th/July 1st:

Days of Heaven, a beautiful Terence Malick film. If you enjoy his stuff at all, this one is unmissable.

Where the Sidewalk Ends, an enjoyable noir from famous director Otto Preminger.

Airplane! which I'm sure you've seen, but if you haven't... do it.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which I haven't seen yet, but, Paul Newman!

The Fly: body horror at its finest.

Memento is a good film.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a classic.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You didn't find that the questionable applicability of that justification only added to the ambivalence and alienation of the character? The Driver for me seemed to have so many layers that expecting that cheap line to sum everything up would be to expect him to be exactly the sort of crass "Americanized" character that he most definitely isn't.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Parachute posted:

Crank 2 stopped once while I was watching it, and I had to restart my PS3. When I opened up Netflix again, the movie was nowhere to be found.

That's incredibly amusing. The movie should start playing in reverse and then slowly fade to black. Or it should just get fuzzier and fuzzier until it's nothing but blobs of colors. Or they could hire a CGI team and a sound team to make atlernate versions of every movie with no characters in them, and slowly the movie should start losing characters until you're just watching empty scenes.

OK, that last one is a little out there. But Netflix is really missing an opportunity to go full on cyberpunk corporation with their streaming DRM.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

big business sloth posted:

Is the Western category nonexistent on netflix now? Or can anyone recommend some good/classic westerns that are up?
Yuck, they've really gutted the Westerns. Or whoever licenses movies to them has gutted them. They used to have stuff like High Noon. Oh well. Here's what's left on streaming:

Classics/Spaghetti
Warlock
Shane
True Grit
Death Rides a Horse
Angel and the Badman
The Mercenary
My Name Is Nobody

Other Good Westerns
Rango
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Two Mules for Sister Sara
Joe Kidd
Dead Man
Support Your Local Gunfighter
Meek's Cutoff

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mds2 posted:

what is it about?
It's basically a documentary that presents [urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist:_The_Movie=]60% of all the bullshit that has ever been said[/url]. 9/11 was a conspiracy, all religion is a conspiracy, the new world order of international bankers controls the world via conspiracy, etc.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You could watch Terriers.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Hey everyone pretty sure we have a Breaking Bad thread in the forum where they talk about TV shows.

Good poo poo expiring soon on Netflix:

Ip Man, the best mix of martial arts and manipulative nationalistic Chinese propaganda since Hero. Expires July 26.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, in which Robert Redford and Paul Newman are outlaws and everything is beautiful and sad and funny. Expires August 1.

Death Race 2000, the cult classic about WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK "DEATH RACE" IS ABOUT?! Expires August 1.

Dog Day Afternoon. Frank Pierson, the screenwriter for this, just died, so celebrate by watching an amazing Pacino performance and stupendously tense Sidney Lumet feature come together. Expires August 1.

Downfall. Instead of making a "Hitler is angry about this video expiring on August 1" video I'll just let you imagine I've done this. Expires August 1.

The Evil Dead. Sam Raimi from back when his movies weren't dumb. Expires August 1.

All of the Ghost in the Shell poo poo expires August 1 but they're probably dubbed and not worth watching because of that. I dunno.

Mississippi Burning has Gene Hackman and Willem Defoe. Expires August 1.

I Clowns is a Fellini film I haven't seen. Expires August SECOND. Hah, motherfucker, thought I was going to say August 1, didn't you? Admit it.

Hoop Dreams is a documentary I have had on my "watch this" list for a million years but it's long. Expires August 2 so get on that poo poo.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I saw this for the first time a few weeks ago. I was not a fan of it at all.
I wasn't having a hard time understanding the movie, just understanding what it wanted to be. At some points it tried to be really serious and evocative then it shatters it the next moment with ridiculousness. So its ends up as a very spotty comedy.
Maybe its just that its varying aspects reached a meme status by now for films and television but when Ride of the Valkyries started to play and the characters had to yell over it to continue their chat about surfing It just seemed like a silly joke.
The movie is from start to finish, people making really bad choices and then dieing.

It probably didn't help that I had previously seen the documentary Machete Maidens Unleashed! before watching this. It talks about some of the gross or shady parts of its filming which I imagine would suck some of the magic out of it.
You're probably not a fan of Catch-22 either, right? Apocalypse Now, Catch-22, and things like them fall into the category of art that really tries to bring out the surreality of these situations, and one of the main ways to do that is through discordant elements of humor.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Can anyone recommend me a WWII to Modern Day war film that's on instant? I wanted to watch The Hurt Locker, but it's not there. I'm looking for something more Hollywood-esque, something that's not Restrepo, but more like Private Ryan.

In addition to Xandu's recommendations (The Thin Red Line is amazing by the way), Play Dirty, which I haven't seen but that might be good, is available. And if you want to see one of the grandparents of all current war movies (and also you don't want to watch The Longest Day), Battleground is streaming and is pretty good (and has Ricardo Montalban). Oh, and Saints and Soldiers seems to have a cult following.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Are there any good things dealing with philosophy or related subjects? I remember there was a Joseph Campbell documentary on there a while back, but I'm not sure if it's still there.
Agora is about philosophy. Kind of. More so than a Joseph Campbell documentary at least.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sadly, I'm nearing the end of the run of Louie on streaming, and I need more. Any other recommendations? I love his pessimistic hopelessness and how he uses others around him to show the "message", and the complete realism and contrast in many of the scenes. Yes I've seen his standups (which ironically I don't like as much as the show itself) and please don't recommend Peep Show.
Party Down appears not to be streaming anymore, but if it comes back, that's perfect.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Manwithastick posted:

Is there a webpage or newsletter that tells you the new releases for netflix? It would be great if I got a regular email that said "Netflix has added these movies this week"

(UK Goon btb)

http://instantwatcher.com/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Sorry for being thick-headed, but can you explain what else is keeping the company afloat? Ads?
A company can make a lot of money but not have much cash on hand, perhaps because it spends the money it makes on things like employee salaries.

edit: well gently caress me I'm too slow

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Eh Louis C.K. says a lot of Dalai Lama-esque stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC4FnfNKwUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Brick is a stupendous neo-noir with a great performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and the guy behind it, Rian Johnson, has a new movie (Looper) coming out so it's nice to get caught up on his ouvre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth expire soon in case anyone wants to relive their childhood memories of getting scarred for life by a legitimately awesome movie and a camp awesome movie, respectively. And a lot of stuff expires Oct 1, including:

12 Monkeys, one of the greatest sci-fi films ever
Ronin, in which Robert De Niro does things.
Red Dawn: WOLVERINES
A Shot in the Dark, a comedy with Peter Sellers
Sleeper, one of Woody Allen's finest comedies
Syriana, also a hilarious movie
The Terminator, a little known action film that didn't get a lot of traction in popular culture but that is definitely worth watching for its insightful comments on important themes like fate and whether Austrians are actually human or just evil robots
Wild African Cats - Wild Cats , a documentary which I know nothing about but that's a title for the loving ages, isn't it? No beating around the bush there.

• Locked thread