Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

I really wish Netflix would use my ratings to find my "Top Picks" and not just the lovely horror films my SO makes me watch.

The suggestion system rides a fine line between transcendental truth and stupid bullshit. Set up a second profile just for yours; there's so much poo poo horror on Netflix it's nigh impossible to get it off your suggestions once it starts showing up. If your device can only use one profile, try tweaking the taste preferences section on the website, theoretically that's the main way suggestions are determined. It also pays attention to what movies you watch, not just the ratings you give movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If you connect your facebook, your facebook profile photo becomes the profile picture

vv yes, it's literally just a way to get in arguments/let your family know you're watching a dirty movie vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 30, 2014

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is what Lars von Trier movies are for.

Antichrist has been up for a while in that case. Unsimulated sex! Ball smashing! Chaos reigns.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I like time travel shows. Anyone remember 7 Days? This show seems to have been forgotten because it doesn't appear to be streaming on any services that I am aware of. It's a shame because I thought it was pretty great. I also really enjoyed Quantum Leap which actually is on Netflix. I'll have to check out Continuum.

I think Doctor Who really sucks though.

I loved Quantum Leap growing up, but when I went back to rewatch it recently I found that I had completely mentally blocked out the never ending voice over in each episode. Like Garfield's dialogue, it's almost never actually needed and its removal would have vastly improved the show (see also: Jumper, which immediately gains a star in quality if you have a friend whose already seen it standing by to mute the TV during the stupid VO).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

uPen posted:

Have you reinstalled silverlight?

Along these lines, Windows 8.1 users who can stand using IE 11 at least for Netflix can use their HTML5 player and bypass Silverlight entirely (or you can use the occasionally lovely Windows 8 app).

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I consider myself a competent native English speaker and Shakespeare is dense as hell. You can get used to it though, as mentioned above, just by concentrating. After a while it makes sense on the fly, and it turns out he was a pretty good writer

Edit it also makes an asston more sense when you're seeing it performed as opposed to reading it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

precision posted:

Netflix showing signs of competency? There's now a "continue watching" category that has movies or shows you've started watching but didn't finish. Pretty useful!

It mostly just picks the dirtiest thing you were watching and gets stuck on that

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Counterpoint: he punches someone in the face with a filing cabinet by shooting it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Why is the bar at the bottom so big? Is there a way I can change it back?

In this order, try a different browser, reinstall Silverlight (if you're not using the HTML5 player), live with it

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm on the third episode of Broadchurch and I like it. It's suspenseful and funny, and I'm not a Dr. Who fan but I like David Tennant's relative zaniness in it. I loved Mitchell & Webb but it didn't spoil me for Olivia Colman's performance, which is pretty great as the green small town detective with the big case.

I also like it because I'm gradually becoming more and more horrified at the law enforcement in it. Was...was that the UK's version of the Miranda rights? Also at the beginning I sort of thought "man it's almost like they're planting that detective there to monitor the family" and then I was like "holy gently caress they planted that detective there to monitor the family"

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 16, 2014

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are you nuts? I thought it was loving great, and yeah it's a great Die Hard movie but that's a compliment. White House Down felt like a really cheap knockoff by comparison.

Right but Netflix only has Olympus Has Fallen, meaning that film is the knock off.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's true, Cheers is just as good a any modern sitcom.

:ssh: Which means it's terrible.

Cheers and Frasier for life; it's sad that Wings turned out to be so mediocre upon second viewing it ruined the extended Cheersverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Barton Fink is butchered pan n scan and Running Turtle is honest to god, VCD with hardcoded subtitles half off the screen. Would love to have a way to at least report this to them

Watch the movie for a second, then on the website go My Account --> Viewing Activity --> Report Problem next to the title in the list. No guarantee they do anything about it or how quickly. That's also where you can erase your history, which is a newish thing and useful if you arent a grown up in charge of what you're allowed to watch.

• Locked thread