Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Closet Cyborg posted:

I Think We're Alone Now- A documentary about two people obsessively infatuated with 80's pop star Tiffany. One is an Asperger's sufferer who doesn't understand the difference between stalking and friendship, and the other is a fitness-obsessed intersexed woman. I'm not sure what to say about this, except that it is incredibly uncomfortable to watch. The subjects' complete lack of self-awareness combined with total openness makes this the biggest compilation of awkward moments I've ever seen.

I gotta second this - this is a really haunting documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I have a big problem with that documentary, because if I remember correctly, the director manipulates events just so they can get tickets just to meet Tiffany. I have a problem with a documentary filmmaker actually intervening just to create a scenario for his film.

I don't think I caught that. That's pretty hosed.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

Explain to me how a film about two deeply unlikable mentally ill individuals could be anything but exploitative from concept to execution. What about the film isn't laughing at these characters before the hotel rendezvous?

Did you see it? It doesn't really portray them as unlikable - certainly not as much as it could have - but instead as deeply lonely and confused. It's more about pity than distain. Which I'll grant you is kinda exploitative, but not quite in the way you're characterizing it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The second season is better than the first because Jane Lynch is gone.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Dittus posted:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents old school suspense by the o.g. himself. Great series, so happy it's up for Halloween.

Yes yes yes a million. If anyone hasn't seen "One More Mile to Go," you're an rear end.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

big business sloth posted:

Hell in the Pacific is pretty interesting, especially the ending which I bet would incite a lot of discussion/frustration here. Plus It's Toshiro Mifune you nerds!!

Also Lee Marvin. Could not pick a better cast.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

It's a great watch. Sagan could explain how paint dries or grass grows and I would be enthralled.

If you really want a nice time sink, I noticed almost all of Ken Burn's documentaries are on instant now. I've been working my way through Jazz and am really impressed. The Civil War is his first doc and absolutely brilliant. Baseball, WW II, The West, and The National Parks are great too.

The Civil War is overwhelmingly good. It's genuinely exhausting, in the best way. If you're American, it's absolutely essential viewing. And if you're not, it's drat good TV and drat good history anyway.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

If nothing else, watch it for the great interviews with Ed Bearss, an incredible storyteller and Civil War historian. It's a shame there isn't more stuff about him on youtube, but this is a good look at how he tells the stories of famous battles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdhIxttuKto

I really want to go on a tour of Gettysburg or other battlefields with him.

Don't forget Shelby "The Fuckmaster" Foote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFbbTQL13g

My GOD what an accent!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I was bored and browsing, and found this film called Harvey. It stars Jimmy Stewart, and it's a comedy about a man whose family is trying to commit him because he has an invisible friend, a six-foot-tall-rabbit named Harvey.

I mean, seriously. Why the hell wouldn't you want to see a movie like that. I was rolling on the floor when his sister was trying to commit him to the sanitarium. I think the one reason why it works really well is that they never make Jimmy Stewart act in a way that's overtly insane.

Harvey is the perfect hangover movie. It's just so charming.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Bunch of people forgetting about Darkplace in here. "I looked him in the eye and said: 'This will be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap. And I don't say that lightly.'"

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

God I wish Darkplaces was on Netflix. I got my friends to believe it was entirely serious up to the part where Dag smashes the guy's still alive head with the shovel.

I could've sworn it was. Did it used to be and they took it off, or am I just totally hosed here?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

fenix down posted:

The trailer for Blackthorn looked pretty good, but I haven't seen it.

It's not very good. Starts off solid and then sorta peters out.

Fat Worm, watch Shane. Everybody watch Shane. Shane all day.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

That's awesome, I will definitely watch this. I shied away from it at first because I find Kate Mulgrew cringeworthy.

As much as her show sucked, Kate Mulgrew comes off as a really sweet, intelligent person. And classy as hell.

Avery Brooks' segment is a riot, and if you watch other interview footage with him it seems like he's playing his weirdness up for Shatner.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 4, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

maxnmona posted:

I think objectively it's just a very mediocre movie

Elaborate, please. Just saying something's "objectively bad" is the absolute nadir of talking about movies.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

I think Lars von Trier is an insufferable prick and thought Antichrist was borderline unwatchably bad. Will Melancholia change my opinion of his stuff at all?

It's definitely possible. I think he's a lovely weirdo and I almost wish he didn't make such a great movie, but Melancholia is like near-masterpiece and completely different from Antichrist in most regards.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Can anyone recommend me some haunted house flicks? Good, bad or whatever.

The Old Dark House
The Haunting (1963)
House on Haunted Hill (original and remake, both pretty good)
House (1977)
The Changeling
Hammer House of Horror's "The House that Bled to Death"
Ghostwatch
A Tale of Two Sisters
Kwaidan
Crowhaven Farm
The Stone Tape
Ghost Story
Burnt Offerings
The Sentinel
Repulsion
From the BBC Ghost Story for Christmas series: The Ash Tree, Lost Hearts, The Signalman, A Warning to the Curious

Woo.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Eggplant Ronin posted:

I just checked and a lot of these aren't on Instant.

Aw poo poo, I thought this was the generic recommend me thread! My bad.

As a consolation, I forgot Waxwork 1 and 2 which are haunted house movies of a sort and are both on Instant.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I actually think Paranormal Entity and PA2 are about as good as each other (not that bad).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Paranormal Entity is a pretty okay little sleeper.

Okay, of my list, these ones are on Netflix:

House on Haunted Hill
A Tale of Two Sisters
Burnt Offerings
The Sentinel

Kind of slim pickings, but they're all quite good.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

modern villian posted:

If there's anyone in this thread who hasn't seen Network, go watch it tonight. There is a reason it won Best Picture.

(It didn't.)

BUT it does TOTALLY loving RULE. Really though, Dog Day Afternoon is the jewel of that collection. That movie is as close to perfect as any other.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I've been going through King of the Hill for the first time and I'm loving. There are so many episodes though, and I heard the quality dips for awhile in seasons 6/7? Is this true?

Season 6 is awesome, but it's the beginning of a slow decline. It never stops being good, it just peaks pretty early.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

maxnmona posted:

Congratulations, you just put more thought into Thor than anyone involved in its production ever did.

Yeah you know that Kenneth Branagh is famous for not thinking about his movies!

FYI that is absolutely the worst possible sentence anyone can write about any movie, ever. And this isn't even about the caliber of the movie - get out of a film forum if you're not interested in or capable of thinking about the films you watch.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Centurion sucks, but I like The Eagle. It has a really nice look to it, it's a lot more lush and green than Centurion.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

SRM posted:

Centurion is one of the bluest movies I've ever seen.

Yeah that's a look that's gotta go. I feel the way about blue tint that most people feel about "shaky-cam".

I like Neil Marshall, and I wanted to like Centurion, but it wasn't very good.

Yeah I was trying to like it so much, but he just didn't meet me halfway.

All that said, The Eagle kind of owns.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Is The Chinese Connection a good martial arts movie? It's a Bruce Lee picture from the 70s. I'm thinking of watching it.

Yes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Unfortunately it's a terrible 4:3 transfer with ridiculous English dubbing on Netflix Streaming. Too bad.

Actually now that I think about it, I've never seen it not look like poo poo.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

forever whatever posted:

Dragnet is on netflix, both the 1950's series and the 1960's series. Old though it might be, the dialogue and acting are awesome. It can be pretty dark but even when it goes into full on camp territory it is highly entertaining...As a child I grew up watching this on Nick at Nite so there's a nostalgia factor to my enjoyment but I highly recommend it to anyone who likes cop shows.

From one of the more infamous (and ridiculous)episodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zgIzqgxFU

Jack Webb on being a cop (I love this monologue for some reason):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW0RAiVuBL8

Dragnet and Wagon Train hold up so well.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Superman credits are tied with Star Wars for sheer adrenaline dump.

Ha, that's a pretty good way to put it. It's the film version of a guy in the stands pumping everyone up before the team runs out.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

matrocious posted:

vastly better acted than the Sopranos was.

Are you talking about the leads or just in general?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

SRM posted:

My first time watching it was Redux and I thought it was incredible. The added scenes (I don't know which are added and which are in the regular cut) may drag for some, but I feel like they really add a lot to the hopeless slog that the characters are going through.

I think they do the opposite - they show too many signs of civilization when they're far up the river.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Maybe its just that its varying aspects reached a meme status by now for films and television but when Ride of the Valkyries started to play and the characters had to yell over it to continue their chat about surfing It just seemed like a silly joke.

That WAS a joke.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Starcrash was a solid recommendation. So allow me throw out another classic of bad cinema:

The Stuff is available now, and it's an amazing piece of 80's horror cinema.

Without spoiling this masterpiece, it's the story of this... substance... that is so delicious that it replaces ice cream. And it's ice cream competitors don't cotton to this "stuff".

Trust me. Watch it. I'm so serious.

Listen to this man.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but if anyone hasn't seen Kagemusha and has even the slightest interest in medieval Japan, it's by far my favorite film dealing with that era. It's not as cheesy as Ran and not as slow as The Seven Samurai - definitely worth a watch.

What aspect of Ran do you find cheesy?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Internet Gentleman posted:

They've added some of the original Universal horror Films -
Dracula
The Wolf Man
The Mummy
Son of Frankenstein
The Mummy's Curse

And if you haven't seen it - Nosferatu

The Mummy's Curse is an odd pick, it's the last and by far the worst of that series.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Cool. So an inaccuracy has never ruined a single scene in a movie or TV show for you? That's great, I applaud you for being able to go into auto-pilot at will. It must be a valuable survival skill for you.

Shut up.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Wait? Out of all the character on that show you want to single out as probably not being a jerk you pick Kramer? Kramer is constantly getting people involved in his horrible schemes without asking them first, mooching off them and generally butting into situations where he is not wanted. I can't think of a single moment where Kramer does something and thinks about anyone else before he does it.

What about when he gave Jerry his blood, and his tortured self-loathing about.... the kavorka.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Doctor Tupac posted:

Or helping Jerry get stolen cable. Or helping George with the frogger machine.

Even a lot of the bad stuff he did, like telling that girl to get a nosejob, came from a perspective of trying to help.

Seinfeld owns you herbs. Look to the avatar.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Seinfeld is in fact awesome but Kramer is a bit of a jerk.

I mean, yeah, but by far the least of the four.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Do they acknowledge the Carl Reiner/Mel Brooks bit?

Wait, have you not seen The Man from Earth? You should do that.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah it helps to think of the movie as network TV sci-fi, and the cast REALLY helps with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Plus I'm pretty sure the director or somebody used to work on Star Trek. You'll know, because as some point somebody refers to this being like something out of Star Trek.

Well it was written by Jerome Bixby who's probably most famous for his Star Trek scripts. Dude invented the mirror universe!

• Locked thread