Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm currently using some Ubiquiti NS2 Locos for my home network, and while it works well I want to move up to some wireless N. Is there a product out there I can deploy N /w that is as good as the NS2Locos? Ubiquiti's newest N products seem to require some kind of server (No windows/Mac computers @ home) and I don't see a version of the NS2Loco /w N functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if I can get a NS5 Loco and configure it to act as a Wireless N access point? I think I can by just turning off some AirMax feature but I'd like to know for sure before I buy it.

And can I use it with my NS2 Loco that I already have installed, set to the same wireless specs, to create a full 802.11/b/g/n network on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz??

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I have a RB750 connected to a Netgear DSL modem, the RB750 handles the PPPoE connection for AT&T. Yes, I hate it.

But, I have this problem with Amazon where half the time the page will not load. I do not notice this ANYWHERE else, but Amazon. I've tried turning off IPv6 with no improvement, I've tried loving around with MTU, no improvement. I'm using Google's DSL settings.

What else should I try to get Amazon to load correctly?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm assuming you mean Google's DNS settings?

Are you running an ad-blocker? Have you tried alternative browsers? Does the same thing happen to multiple PCs / devices?

Yes to DNS. Yes to Ad-blocker, but it also happens with Chrome on my tablet and phone. Wife has had the same problem on her laptop.

It doesn't happen as often when I shut down everything else happening on the network (IE, I have more page stalls/fails to load at high network load). This makes me think it is a dropped packet kind of issue and not a software issue.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I somehow managed to get Gigabit enabled on my cable setup, what is the best modem to pair up with the service?

I have a SB6183 and want to stick with a dedicated modem as I already have all the routing and WiFi infrastructure, but I'm seeing some unpleasant reviews online for the next step up on the Arris side.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Can the ER Lite handle 1gb routing?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm using UBNT equipment in my suburban home. Huge 2.4ghz interference, but minimal 5ghz interference, as you would expect.

Will I get benefits from switching my TWO AC Lite APs to using VHT80 instead of 40 for 5ghz?

I max out ~200mb/s on 40 right now.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
You might try also setting a domain name? Maybe it needs both for some reason.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I had good luck through some local friends that are in the IT trade recommending people who do office cabling and specifically camera installation. They were already ready and willing to get in the attic and make drops around the house and it was something like 75 or 100/drop. I only had them run two cables for APs in the ceiling so I'd have great coverage, but for the roughly 200 it cost me it was a steal.

Rather than looking for a company that does AV work, look to see if you can find a small-time operation that does office IT work and see if they'll take the job.

EDIT, I provided the APs, but they provided the rest. I didn't have to dig out my old termination equipment or buy keystones or any of that nonsense.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

TheMadMilkman posted:

My home network is becoming increasingly unreliable. Most likely my wireless router is going out. It's an Asus RT-N66U that my dad gave to me when his office was throwing stuff out.

Any specific suggestions/recommendations on what to buy to make this all happen? I'm not concerned about working out configuration issues or troubleshooting. I just really don't know squat about setting up a wired network.

Given the size of the space you are probably a good candidate for one of the newer wireless mesh setups. Google WiFi or Orbi or similar.

I wouldn't worry about wiring things up as long as you have enough equipment that can use the 5ghz band. Should be plenty of bandwidth in the air to work with if you have equipment that can handle the traffic, which the newer wireless mesh systems will.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Noticed that my FitBit scale hadn't synced since what appears to be the last UBNT Unifi controller update.

None of my configuration has changed. I don't have auto-anything turned on and my other "legacy" devices on 2.4ghz/b/g seem to be just fine.

Which setting do I need to change to get this thing back online? Or do I just need to revert controller software back a version?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

astral posted:

If you're using that setting that forces 'high performance' devices to 5GHz, turn it off.

Nope, already disabled.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

Has your WiFi channel changed? When I turned on unifi “WiFi IQ” a couple of devices wouldn’t connect the morning after it channel-scanned.

Also a good guess, but no. Same channels & widths. I've got the automatic stuff disabled already since UBNT has a bad history of making "auto" stuff that doesn't actually work. Same channels too. I've enabled "legacy device support" on the default WiFi settings and that doesn't fix it either.

So they either turned on some setting or broke something. I'm seeing around that they've disabled "b" and ALL my other devices are G/N but I can't figure out how to bring it back.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
The in walls are pretty weak. They're designed for offices and hotels.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

bitprophet posted:

Are there any useful tricks for planning wifi coverage in a building currently without?
Possibly irrelevant details: wood frame 1930s house; roughly 2000 sqft plus a small yard and garage. Entire plot is 110x82 feet, house central; building is 40x35 feet at its widest points; 2 stories and a partial basement.

skipdogg posted:

I have an AC lite, and that thing will cover my entire 3400 sq ft house and covered half my neighbors house when his internet went out.

I have 2 AC Lites, an older one and a newer one. The newer one is clearly a bit more powerful, but I have them on each side of a 2000 sqft, single story house, mounted on the ceiling, and I easily get excellent 5Ghz coverage everywhere. I turned DOWN the 2.4ghz radios to cut down on the interference with the neighbors.

Given your two stories you might think about doing one on each floor, but I wouldn't be concerned about needing any more than that.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Still can't get this old Fitbit Aria wifi scale back on my Unifi network. I've enabled support for legacy devices and updated to the newest controller and firmware this weekend. Any other ideas before I give up?

Also, what should I have my 5ghz channel widths set to? Does it matter after 40mhz?

Otherwise the network is awesome.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
What's the recommended stand alone gigabit capable cable modem? I have an Arris/Surfboard that maxes around 480 but I've seen mixed reviews on the higher end versions due to chipsets or something.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

I’m planning to move things over to a proper NAS setup at a point in the future (and to swap over to SATA from USB 3.0 until then), but until then would it be of any use to swap out the two Archer C7 v2 routers to something a bit more modern?

I'd switch to hard wired before upgrading if you haven't already. Once their wired any reasonably new switch is going to be line speed, so then you gotta look at more bandwidth.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
UBNT controller upgrade to 6.0 trassssshed my network. I don't run VLANs, but apparently it ADDED a control VLAN to my config, leading to a full on broadcast storm.

I've got one AP back up and running, but the one that caused the storm is still stuck adopting. I'm going to give it a few to see if it comes around, then I guess I have to climb up on a ladder to reset it?

I've forced my controller's IP address in the controller setting and I still can't get it to adopt. Any ideas?

Cut the power, "forgot" the device, then re-adopted it. PITA, but we're back online.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 16, 2020

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Router to switch to switch is fine. Make a decision based on how many cables you want to run and how much bandwidth you'll really need.

My media cabinet is all WiFi now, so I didn't even bother with the cable at my new place.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Buy a Nest Wifi or two and if it doesn't work in a day return it?

Edit, how big a space do you have to cover here?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I set mine to the same and worry about a device when it has problems. But I'm in the burbs so I only have some 2.4ghz interference and have multiple APs.

Might be a different conversation if I had a condo downtown.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Is it new construction? Sometimes they don't install a splitter and just leave the ends bare somewhere.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Just moved into a place setup for Google fiber. Google sent me a pair of Wifi pucks, but it appears this place might be wired up for physical connections.

Can I use my mikrotik to route and the wifi pucks as APs only, or do I have to use one as the router for that to work correctly?

My old place I had a few Unifis and the mikrotik. I left the old APs in the ceiling, so I'd have to purchase new ones to get back to a similar setup. Just trying to see if I can make these Google Wifis do something similar.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Tested the in-wall setup the old fashioned way, by trying every port. No luck. This Google WiFi setup let's me push about 360mbs, but I want that full 900+ I can get with fiber. I'm waiting for my Ethernet test equipment to show up so I can see if anything in this house is properly wired, but if not I'll need a mesh system since this is a rental.

What mesh systems are going to get me closer to my max bandwidth here? Will the nest WiFi do it, or do I need a new wifi6 erro or similar?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tremors posted:

Wifi doesn't go that fast unfortunately.

I demand more!

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Luckily I found a way to hunt for a signal using my old router's switch side and was able to find the magic cable that routed up to the office where I have the desktop. AAAAAAAnd the cable happens to be high enough quality that I can push line speed without issue. This is great, since it means I can use the Google Wifi for as long as I want. Plus I can switch back to my mikrotik/Ubnt/etc. setup if I feel like it and APs come back in stock. All while still getting "real" speed to the one place that needs it.

I really didn't want to have to figure out how to run a cable through this rental house and I'm happy it looks like I won't have to.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 10, 2021

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've got symmetrical gig fiber to the house and am currently using 1st gen Google Wifi for my networking. I've cabled in the 2nd wifi point, so no wireless backhaul, but with the config I see consistent 300mbp/s up and down service over wireless. Which is plenty.

But I want more. And I'm tempted by Unifi having 6 Lites back in stock. If I replace my setup with a pair of 6 Lites can I expect any additional performance on the wireless side of things?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cyks posted:

Both the 1st gen Google Wifi and U6 Lites support the same data rates on 2.4 and Wifi 5 5GHZ (300 and 866.7, respectively ) so unless you are rocking some Wifi 6 devices, you may very well not. Of course real world results can vary and the build quality and implementation can make a difference but if you are seeing those results already I wouldn't expect much of an improvement.

Yeah, that is what I found as well. But I also found plenty of people saying they could push 500mbs through their Google Wifis and I just can't seem to make that happen. Pulled the trigger on the Lites, mostly because I miss all my dashboard statistics and whatnot. I'll give them a decent test and see if anything improves, else I can always send them back.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Yeah, that is what I found as well. But I also found plenty of people saying they could push 500mbs through their Google Wifis and I just can't seem to make that happen. Pulled the trigger on the Lites, mostly because I miss all my dashboard statistics and whatnot. I'll give them a decent test and see if anything improves, else I can always send them back.

Replying to myself just to maintain a thread. Still awaiting the Lite 6s and will update with test results once I have them.

I loaded up the WiFi analyzer this morning and was surprised by what I saw. I'm assuming most of my neighbors have Google Wifi pucks as it is the default with the internet service. All 5ghz networks I can see, including my own, are on a pair of channel sets. Plenty of open frequency next to those, but whatever scanning/allocation algorithm Google ends up lumping everyone onto one of those two sets of channels.

Additionally, both of my APs, despite using a wired backhaul are on the same 5ghz frequency as well. I'm assuming this allows it to fall back to wireless backhaul, but it also means that any chatter on those frequencies from my devices OR my neighbors is affecting that performance.

So, I've now got a bit of hope that being able to use that clear and free frequency out there will improve my speeds noticeably.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Replying to myself just to maintain a thread. Still awaiting the Lite 6s and will update with test results once I have them.

Update, received and replaced the Google Wifis with a pair of Unifi AP AC Lite 6s.

My hope was to stick both of these into the free 5ghz channels not being used by my neighbors all on Google Wifi themselves. Unfortunately I'm stuck using at least one of the "standard" 5ghz 80mhz channel sets since some of my devices (ROKU!) refuse to find or connect to the free and clear DFS channels.

So I've got one up in the DFS area and the other on the clear-est set of channels in the standard range I could find. This house is a box, so both APs are basically on top of each other, 1 floor apart.

Overall I'm seeing 5-15% better performance at peak from my devices, about what you would expect from a little less crowding in the spectrum. I also now have theoretically double the wireless bandwidth since more my devices are basically split between sets of channels instead of sharing one block, but I don't know how often that improvement will be noticeable.

Overall, I don't think I gained much in terms of actual usability and don't think I would recommend the switch to someone who wasn't having any real issues with their Google Wifis. I'll probably end up keeping them setup though, as I do like the admin console visibility and I do get a small performance bump from the whole setup.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

KS posted:

Story of all my home networking adventures.

Clearly, its time to look at moving to 2.5/4/10g at the core switch.

You know, for reasons.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Today I went into my house and smelled a strong acrid smell. Traced it down to my UAP-nanoHD. See above. What are the youths doing these days as a replacement as a standalone UniFi AP? We have 0 problems with our wifi just need as a minimum 2.4ghz g for some lovely baby monitors. We do have modern wifi6 capable cell phones.

U6-Lite-US?

I just got two of them and they're good. Basically the same as my older Lites. You've got to buy the POE injectors separately if you need them though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Hi thread

I have a Ubiquiti UAP running off an ERX. Given that my UAP is now like 9 months out of support and getting pretty old is it worth it to upgrade? What's the best option? I only just realised that that AP doesn't even have 5GHz which would explain why my iPhone seems to only get about 15 Mbps down from a 300/100 Mbps connection.

I'm in a medium-size apartment, have just the one AP and usually have about 12-15 Wi-Fi clients on the go at one time.

:tipshat:

U6-Lite is great. Just swap them out.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
You end up needing three radios now correct? 2.4, 5, and 6?

So it's gotta be a new product. Now I need a reason to upgrade the network to 2.5 or 4 or whatever the next thing is for Ethernet.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Given those choices I'd consider whatever terrible fight it's going to be with her company on literally any VoIP provider.

There are a hundred ways to get phone service to a physical phone that don't involve a special modem or router.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Wrong thread.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm looking at houses that might have ATTs new 2 and 5 gig Fiber offerings available. Does anyone know how these terminate at the house? Can I use an Edge Router, Mikrotik or similar on my side or am I required to use their device?

I have Google's Fiber now and I know their 2 gig service requires using their router, which I'm not a huge fan of (and I have no way of really using all this speed anyway).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I have a Unifi setup with a pair of U6 Lites. Everything is working perfectly fine, however I attempted to enable WPA3 with WPA2 compatibility figuring that I might have an older device that wouldn't support it and I'd have to roll back.

The only device I had issues with is my newer Nest Cam Wired. According to searches (again, gently caress you tech industry for naming your poo poo so awful) I believe it SHOULD support WPA3. Is this a Unifi issue, a google issue, or a Wifi-black magic issue?

Obviously I rolled back to WPA2 and can continue using it for a while, it just irks me that this much newer device is the one having issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I never known streaming sports to break 10mb/s though. I think you'd have plenty of bandwidth for TV.