Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

frailimbnursry posted:

I picked up an Nvidia Shield for 4k streaming from my NAS and gamestream from my desktop PC. I was disappointed when I watched Kodi stutter and report the read rate was too low for playback of a particularly high bitrate movie.
iperf3 reported 94.5mbps between the two endpoints which makes me believe I'm running into a 100mbps barrier somewhere along the network. I plugged a Dell Chromebox 3010 into the Cat6 used by the Shield to run iperf3.

My current setup involves:
Freenas server <> Netgear GS108 switch <> TP-Link Archer C7 <> Monoprice 10927 switch <> Nvidia Shield

All are connected via Cat6 with the longest run being between the Netgear and the TP-Link and the next longest between the TP-Link and the Monoprice. The Netgear LEDs indicate a 1000mbps link. The Monoprice isn't able to display 10, 100, or 1000.
My hope is that it's the Monoprice device since I can't confirm if the link is 1000mbps and it would be the easiest piece to switch out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the bottleneck (if one exists)? Or how I might be able to narrow it down?

Have you checked the read rate of your FreeNas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I've got some remodeling going on so I'm in a good position to do some ethernet runs in my house. This has given me the itch to upgrade my home networking setup. I just got a Unifi Wireless AC Pro for Christmas so I'm leaning towards building out everything with Unifi. Currently I've got two Asus OnHub's running meshed, which is...ok but wireless performance is really neutered by losing access to my 5ghz band so that the routers can mesh. I don't think keeping one for router duty is going to be what I want either. I've had no real issues with wifi interference in my home, I really don't even need the 2nd OnHub, but it seems to help a bit in the back of the house. I currently have ATT 300mbps fiber service, though I am considering the upgrade to full gigabit service.

My thinking is:

* Put the AC Pro up in the middle of the ceiling on the 2nd floor. I reckon this would yield enough wifi coverage likely for the entire home, or at least the main living spaces where wireless speed matters.
* Pick up a Unifi USG to deal with routing.
* I have a FreeNAS box running 24/7 so I was going to install the controller software in a jail so I don't have a need for a raspberry pi or cloud key.

My big question is around powering the AC pro + future PoE devices. Is it worth it to pick up a PoE unifi switch for powering my AC Pro + maybe an in wall AP or 2nd Wireless AP in the future? I'm not really sure what my options are beyond using a PoE switch, but I'm assuming there could be some advantage to using the Unifi PoE switch when it comes to integrating everything/being all in the same ecosystem.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

KKKLIP ART posted:

Honestly at this point probably don’t do the USG but maybe the Dream Machine / Dream Machine Pro depending on how you want to go and budget.

So I saw this device mentioned earlier in the thread, and I get the appeal of the all-in-one package, but are there advantages beyond that? I did notice the dream machine doesn't provide PoE so I'd still need to figure out the injector stuff.

I'm assuming the wireless from the dream machine wouldn't interfere the AC Pro?

Actuarial Fables posted:

PoE injectors are fine to use instead of a PoE switch if you have only a few devices you need to power, but they take up more room and you need enough outlets to handle them.

The biggest advantage you get from having a UniFi switch is that you can manage it in the same UniFi dashboard as your APs. If you like to keep everything managed in a central location then it's great, but if you don't mind keeping things separate then don't feel as though you have to fully embrace the UniFi lifestyle.

Can I place a PoE injector far away from the device? I won't have an outlet near where I'm planning my first AP location or the potential in-wall AP.

If I'm looking at at least two PoE devices, I'm assuming I'll need an injector and outlet plug for each?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Awesome, thanks for the help y'all!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

The other option is to use a switch that pushes PoE on its own and doesn't need to use injectors, but that only likely makes sense if either you are an extreme stickler for clean cabling, or have a lot of PoE devices.

My concern around the Dream Machine is that it's meant to sit out. So it could be pretty ugly having all the wiring and cables sitting out. OTOH I guess I could run one cable to the basement, set up a switch down there out of sight, and do the injectors down there as well.

My thought was to just centralize and hide all the gear in the basement without the need for any units really sitting out.

One other question I had is if the extra CPU added to the dream machine was really to support the fact that it's doing routing, controller software, and wireless AP duties all at once. Would the CPU upgrade there be worth the extra money? I feel like it definitely would be if I was planning on getting a USG, Cloud Key, and Switch, but I won't need a cloud key and I'm not convinced I'll need the wireless either. If it was coming with wifi 6 at the same price point it would be a much stronger choice I think.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
The gateway they give you is fine. You can enable pass-through and disable the wireless. Then just stick all your gear behind it. It sucks you gotta rent it but it's still cheaper and better in every way than Comcast.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

TheWevel posted:

This won't be true if AT&T gives you a 5268AC. My last experience trying to get a BGW through them was futile and you'll most likely be getting the 5268. Passthrough on the 5268 cripples your speeds so the only option is to to eap_proxy with Ubiquiti gear or keep using the lovely 5268.

Ah I didn't realize they handed out different gateways. I have an Arris BGW210 that I got from them maybe 3 months ago, maybe I just got lucky.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

idiotsavant posted:

oops, sorry, forgot to mention but it's older wiring; not 100% sure if it's knob and tube but definitely not new. I guess it's worth a try tho...

If you have coax, MoCA is another option.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
MoCA is your other choice.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
My guess would be that just because it supports AC doesn't mean the chip supports that level of throughput.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Set up a wireguard VPN and save the client config to Dropbox or whatever so you can quickly connect from wherever?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Warbird posted:

That would be an excellent proposition if I knew what IPs I might be hitting from. I travel for work so it could be most anything. I’d be down for wireguard, but installing a VPN client would likely lead to some fun questions from the security guys and would likely break Pulse as it he held together by rubber bands at the best of times.

Can your mobile do hotspot? You can wireguard, then hotspot for on demand.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Did you get a filter and hook it up to the connection coming in to the house? Without one your network may not work/be degraded/blast your network out of your house.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

icantfindaname posted:

You mean this thing?

I didn’t put it on because I thought it only mattered to stop people outside the network from snooping, which I wasn’t worried about at that point. You need to have it for the network to work at all?

Yea I think there can be interference and poo poo. My buddy was having a bad experience when first trying it out and putting the filter on fixed it for him.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

thiazi posted:

I've got a buddy who just got ATT fiber with the Arris BGW210 gateway. He wants to setup a Google WiFi mesh behind it and found the following link which he thinks explains the options with this gateway:
https://forums.att.com/conversation...27251541#M29310

Anyone else using this gateway to passthrough to their own router? I was thinking he should put it in Paasthrough, select passthrough manual mode assigning his Google router's MAC - as far as I understand, that kills DHCP on the gateway and would allow his Google router to handle all the DHCP and NAT without doubling up. Thoughts? (Trying to help him via text due to corona-cation is annoying)

Edit: reading through some of the comments on that linked page seems like there is significantly more to it. F'ing ATT...halp!

I have mine in passthrough and it works just fine. I think I set it to do passthrough to whatever device it sees first.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

E2M2 posted:

So I got a Google WiFi setup but my dad is moving into the inlaw unit in the backyard and all it has is an Ethernet cable running back to it. What do I buy and what do I read up on how to get another access point in there? The unit is probably like 100 ft from the nearest wifi node so there a very bad signal to the unit. Could I get a cheap router to connect and configure to get a point out there?

If you got the Google WiFi pucks, they can do backhaul over Ethernet I'm pretty sure. So you'd just need to pick up another puck and wire it up.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

E2M2 posted:

I guess I could but aren't pucks something like $100?

edit: just bought an OnHub router, should work for my purposes.

OnHubs do not support Ethernet backhaul like the wireless pucks do. I _think_ you can put them in bridge mode, but I dunno how that will work with your other wifi setup. I reckon a Unifi AC Lite would probably be about the same price and serve the same purpose? I haven't checked prices on OnHubs in a long time though.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Did you create vlan 2? If the vlan doesn't exist I don't think it will work.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Anyone ever have Discord audio issues with their Unifi set up? Discord on both my phone or laptop will intermittently quit playing inbound audio unless I disconnect and then reconnect to a voice channel. I'd figure it was a phone or laptop issue but it happens on both devices.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Thanks, I'll check these suggestions out!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

AriTheDog posted:

I read the last few pages and the OP and didn't see anything on this, but I'm sure it's been asked before so apologies:

What the gently caress do I do about the horseshit ATT fios router with no bridge mode that is required for the service? What's the optimal solution for minimum headache that will let me continue to use my Plex and Subsonic server computer wired to something with good coverage in my home?

I managed to brick an Edgerouter X somehow trying to set up the bypass outlined here , and I'm hesitant to buy another Edgerouter X and try again, but I could do this... I've never bricked a device before and I assume it's bad luck... Maybe.

What's recommended here? The ATT provided modem router combo is the BGW-210 if it matters. My house is a long-ish ranch style house and the ONT comes into the house at one end furthest from the bedrooms. Is there a brain-dead dumb mesh network solution using IP passthrough or a DMZ that will allow me to keep my server assigned to a static IP and port forward for Plex and Subsonic? Or do I need to get technical and use Ubiquiti products and do the whole modem bypass thing?

I have the BGW, I just run it in pass through mode and it works fine.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

fletcher posted:

I don't really have a need for WiFi 6 at the moment, but when would we expect Ubiquiti to have some WiFi 6 offerings in the UAP line of products?

They have an AC Lite out in the early access program right now. I'm not sure of how long they stay in EAP though.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I just moved into a new place and banzai kamikazed on a Dream Machine in lieu of going the old rack full of server gear stashed in a specially-doctored IKEA cabinet. It arrives this Friday. We'll see if I need or want the UAP in-wall HD. I doubt it, though, even though the signal will probably have to go right past the microwave to my computer, besides, they're sold out everwhere, it seems.

From what I've seen, everything is painless, and I almost want to replace everyone I've set up Edgemax + Unifi for with this thing.

Anyone got a recommendation on a decent PoE+ injector, since Ubiquiti has to be coy and not use words that are commonly used to mean certain specifications?

Don't most of the APs come with an injector? Both my AC Pro and FlexHD have.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

pocket pool posted:

I'm running some ethernet from my office to the basement - there's a (finished) stretch in my basement through which I haven't been able a cable fish line. However, I noticed that there is an unused piece of coax cable that is fed through this stretch.

Is there a ethernet-to-coax adapter I could use to run through this stretch? Or would I be better off really taping a piece of ethernet cable to the coax cable and pulling it through? The coax cable feels pretty loose and easy to pull back and forth through the stretch so this might work.

EDIT: Most of the poo poo I see looks pretty expensive - I think I'll just pull the cable through using the coax.

You can do either. For the coax, I believe you'd need a pair of MOCA adapters to make it work, and if that coax is connected to the outside you'd need a filter to go between the outside connection and your house.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

movax posted:

I just deployed a UDM-Pro and some nanoHD and flexHD, Flex Switxhes at my parents — pretty smooth. Also not a complicated setup (no VLANs yet), but I err conservative on my settings that a lot of folks may not like killing off the auto optimize features and things like that. No doubt though that people see problems, the amount of posts on it are insane, and I’m sure if my parents had more IoT poo poo and I did VLANs and other configs I would hit them

I still need to dig in and make sure I’m secure the cloud aspect of it as well — I have an ER-4 + UniFi at home, this is my first UniFi routing and switching experience.

The current issue I’m actually having is the devices at my parents’ place seem to be sticking to 2.4 and not always hopping to 5. As far as I know, this doesn’t happen at my place. BUT, my parents have Fire Sticks and popping open the WiFi Analyzer on my laptops, those loving things broadcast a 5GHz network on the same channel as the AP its connected too, allegedly for the remote. I’m wondering if it’s the reason the clients (almost all Apple devices) are deciding to go to 2.4.

Any ideas on that? Don’t really want to separate SSIDs or disable 2.4 on certain APs, and I’ve set band steering on the AP in question, but things are still getting stuck on 2.4.

I battled this with one of my devices and it ended up being that the Roku Stick+ will not connect to any DFS 5ghz network. Might be worth looking at.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Lifespan posted:

Just had another interesting Comcast discussion. I pay $50 to get rid of my data cap. I was told they would waive my data cap completely if I rented a modem from them for $25. I guess I can continue to use my own modem and just keep theirs in the box, but what is their angle with that?

Probably data collection.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Lifespan posted:

That's hosed up. That said, I don't think me getting their modem means I have to use it as my current one is perfectly good. Might just throw it in a closet for $25/mo savings.

They might provision it as your modem and force you to use it, but worth a shot.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
When I had Comcast my modem and set top boxes would all reset at around that time too.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

kiwid posted:

I'm still going back and forth about edge switch vs unifi switch. The former gives me peace of mind knowing I don't need a controller to configure it. Is this justified or am I concerned for nothing?

You don't need the controller if you don't care about monitoring or any of the dashboard stuff, you can configure you network using the app.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

movax posted:

I saw some traffic on this on the forums and Reddit... holy poo poo, what the gently caress was Ubiquiti thinking?

Good thread title right there.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Tremors posted:

Realized the house I'm buying doesn't actually have any coax connections in it. My only option for speeds higher than 50/50 is Xfinity. Am I correct in assuming the most they'll do is tack the cable to the exterior of the house and drill a hole straight through to the interior? Guessing I'll either need to hire an electrician or figure out how to fish wires myself if I want it halfway decent....

Yep. If it's an easy run like an unfinished basement sometimes they'll help but even inside the best you'll get is them willing to drill a hole and poke a cable through.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Mierdaan posted:

Thanks - I'm plenty technical, but the main complaint with a double-router setup currently seems to be that my friends can't access my Plex server. Seems like a lot of work to go through for people I don't like that much. Thanks for confirming there's no easy path to removing this hunk of junk.

If you have the BGW from ATT you can set it to passthrough mode on one ethernet port and it should solve your problems. It's how I use mine because I'm too lazy to try and set up the other provided solution.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
You don't need to run the controller at all for your network to function.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

TraderStav posted:

I must have been misinformed then. I thought that some software had to be run on some other piece of hardware.

Bit late for me to make a different purchase decision, but still very optimistic that my usecase isn't so niche that I'll encounter the problems some folks have had with the UDM Pro.

I think it's nice to have so however you want to run it it's all good, you just don't _need_ a hardware solution specifically for it if you don't care about the dashboard. I run mine in a FreeNAS jail.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

LordOfThePants posted:

I picked up a UniFi AP to replace a failing router (being used as an AP only) and set up the UniFi controller in a FreeNAS jail. The ecosystem looks pretty neat, and now I’m thinking I should replace my router with something more robust and get more APs.

I’ve got two choices. My buddy has a spare Dell R410 with an X5650 that I’m pretty sure he’d sell me cheaply enough. I could buy that and install pfSense on it.

The other option would be to pick up a USG. Probably a little more expensive (depending on what my buddy wants for the R410), but it’s substantially smaller, uses less power, and would integrate with the UniFi controller.

I’ve got rural DSL out here so speeds are very low, so I’m not sure the lower powered USG is going to be an issue but I’m curious what the thread thinks.

USG won't struggle with DSL. I keep the IPS stuff off and I can pull over 900mbps wired so I'd expect that to be a non issue, even with the security and deep packet inspection stuff enabled.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Hadlock posted:

Google has three generations of wifi crap at this point

OnHub which I guess they bought from TP-Link, circa 2015-16
Google Wifi, aka the hockey puck circa 2016-17, mild refresh fall 2020
Nest Wifi, latest and greatest

Google Wifi and Nest work together for mesh
OnHub will act as a "mesh" base station, but doesn't actually do mesh, just hub and spoke

Supposedly OnHub doesn't work at all with Nest, and won't work with wifi and nest networks

That said, Google home now supports OnHub as of mid August 2020 which sort of invalidates some of this prior facts

Anybody know how this actually works

I have a nest router arriving, and a handful of hockey pucks, and one OnHub, would like them all to play nice. In one of the sattelite rooms I have a wired connection, I think the OnHub would work in that situation?

How much better is the nest wifi vs the Google WiFi

I ran 2 of the Asus OnHubs for awhile. Unless something has changed, OnHubs don't mesh with the other products. OnHubs also weren't originally designed to mesh, and so they'd eat your 5ghz band for backhaul. By "not working with Nest" they probably meant that it would not mesh with nest wifi, not necessarily the other Nest branded products. OnHub didn't do wired backhaul at all so I don't think that OnHub will help you.

As for the older Google Wifi vs newer Nest Wifi I am not too sure since I upgraded from OnHubs to Ubiquiti.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
Does amazon even sell google products? I thought they were in a spat.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

Has anyone ever used MoCA Adapters (basically, running ethernet through coaxial cable)? My apartment has coax wired but unused, and this seemed like a good way to get a wired connection throughout the apartment (wifi has been having issues) rather than needing to run ethernet cables, and the coax outlets in the apartment are currently unused. But I have just never heard of it before looking around today, and having difficulty finding any reviews of the stuff that isn't blatantly trying to sell me stuff for referral commissions.

(alternatively, if anyone has any ideas why my Eero network that worked flawlessly for two+ years suddenly is utter poo poo, I'm all ears on how to figure that out because I'm going loving nuts trying to fix it :v:)

Make sure you identify where the cable is coming in to your unit from. You'll want to install a MoCA filter there which should improve the signal and also it would not let your network leak anywhere else the coax connects.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
I'm not sure $3 a month is protection racket levels when you get two free games a month as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Rollie Fingers posted:

Because the lovely controller only supports Java 8. Java's now at version 15, so you must install a version from 2014 that's missing six years of security patches.

Just install a version like Adopt Open JDK or one of numerous others that has backported patches.