Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

The house was built in 2017, and is two-story without an attic or basement. If I can do it well and paint it to match the baseboards, I might be able to run one point to point ethernet cable just inside the house along the baseboard and down the stairs that would solve the worst of my problems.

I'm disappointed to hear that my wifi woes seem to be unique to my situation and not characteristic of the 5268ac. I'm going to keep working to fix this, because it's been really disappointing for the couple months I've been here.

What about using powerline adapters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

You could try contacting them, years ago I had a similar issue with Verizon and they looked into it and some network hardware wasn't working right and they fixed it pretty quick, was a bit of a run around to figure out who to talk to iirc. Maybe try wtvr contact is on the whois?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

It's been a while but I think I just googled the address from the whois (who it was registered to) and just called them and then just did some phone tag as several peeps just gave me numbers to other peeps who eventually gave me a number to someone who could fix it, or put a ticket in or wtvr they had to do.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I wish I could use my own modem with att fiber...having to use their garbage modem/router combo and having to pay for it is rather annoying.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Also depending on location it can be easier to run some stuff outside. We have a large finished sunroom and I ran cat6 under the eaves and just drilled a small hole and sealed it up with some silicone, can barely notice it from the outside but running it though the attic and walls would have been a nightmare.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

SlapActionJackson posted:

Happy 2021

Internet connection fell over this morning. ATT Fiber RG bypass is no longer working for me. Seems that as ATT deploys network upgrades; the newer setup can't be bypassed with the old tricks, so many of you may encounter this at some point too.

Here's to hoping someone figures it out soon. In the meantime I'll rock the double NAT and test the session table on the BGW210 :toot:

RG bypass? I'm using a dumb switch bypass and it's working fine still.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

SlapActionJackson posted:

Residential Gateway. I was using proxy_eap which worked brilliantly, but now my USG can't get a dhcp lease from the WAN. I don't know if the dumb switch bypass still works on the upgraded network, but since it can't auto-recover from a power outage, I think I'll take my chances with IP Passthrough mode for a while.

Yeah that is the main downside of the dumb switch bypass, could get a UPS but :effort:

Hopefully it still works on the upgraded, fingers crossed I'm already on it.

Not sure why att is so anal about making people use their lovely modems anyhow. If you just want the 10$ then just ignore peeps bypassing it, and take their money anyhow. poo poo I would pay then 10$ to not have to use the drat thing.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I think I am using the exact same one, bought it for like 10$ from Amazon warehouse and works great for my sunroom, mainly for a roku tv and cell phones, so don't needs anything crazy.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

BaronVanAwesome posted:

If I want to search for a local "dude/dudette to put ethernet in my walls at home", is there a better search term than "low voltage electrician"?

Searching for data cables stuff in general is getting me mostly business that are clearly for commercial work, and anything for low voltage technician is coming up with general electricians

I've had good luck finding peeps to do odd jobs I don't want to do on the Thumbtack app, often for rather reasonable rates I do live in a big metro though (dallas) so that might very.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So you don't have to use the gateway but it has it's own downsides, I use the dumb switch bypass (easy to find on google) for it, which works really well however if your power goes out you have to connect the gateway back to the ont for a couple seconds and then you can unplug it again.

I suppose a UPS could fix this to some degree but I haven't bothered with that yet, as it's pretty infrequent that we lose power.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

skipdogg posted:

There's a newer authentication method being rolled out where the bypass doesn't work anymore. It may work for now, but if AT&T changes things, it'll stop working.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32839785-AT-T-Fiber-Gateway-bypass-with-WPA-supplicant-stopped-working-2-days-ago

Weeeelll that blows, hopefully the rollout is as painfully slow as most things att does.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Dogen posted:

I’ve never been charged for a coax drop run outside when getting new service but YMMV.

I was able to get the att fiber installer dude to install two drop when he installed the fiber, and he was like I have to charge you, but call the customer support line tomorrow and tell them I damaged the floor or wall or something and they will take it off the bill, and might even give you a credit depending how upset you seem. Dude was legit.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well it looks like my att dumb switch is out of commission, woke up this morning to a dhcp error on my router tried rebooting everything but nothing seems to work, removing the Mac clone and connect it to the BGW and it works fine, but clone it and try to bypass shows connect for a couple seconds then a dhcp error.

I'll probably play with it more after work, but looks like I might be SOL.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So looking to setup a better network now that we own a house, and with all the shenanigans with unifi looking for an alternative, anyone have any experience with omada? Looks to be reasonably priced with decent hardware.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So was going to run Ethernet to a couple spots in the house to later hook up APs to, only plan to do two, is there a reason I shouldn't just buy two premade cables that are longer than I need and just leave the excess in the attic? Seems like a lot less work than buying bulk cable and punching them etc.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

80k posted:

You mean, not bother with the keystone jacks and pull the wire ends through as-is? That would be fine... you can always cut them and terminate them into keystone jack plates later.

Yeah, they are going to be in the ceiling, so was thinking about not even using a plate, just drill a small hole just big enough for the cord that the AP will cover up.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

xgalaxy posted:

I was going to be asking this question myself as well.
Ubiquity seems to be getting a lot of hate lately and I understand they were recently hacked and there was a whistleblower issue.
But I'm getting a lot of my info from reddit and not sure how much of this is overblown or not. A lot of networking companies have been hacked before.

I am a software engineer and kind of techie although I don't really want to be spending my days off tweaking networking devices. I like this idea of a central location where I can configure all of the devices and don't have to jump through hoops getting every single piece of equipment on the same page. I also like that they have cameras in their ecosystem.

There doesn't seem to be another company that does all of that. That said I guess I don't really have a problem with using something else and then doing cameras with something like the Synology system.

I've been looking at omada by TP link and from what I have been able to gather it can be a bit cheaper than ubiquity, and seems to be a solid alternative, if not better. Seems it hasn't been around quite as long so maybe just not had enough space to screw up firmwares and stuff for ages. :shrug:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

otter posted:

does anyone have like 60 feet of cat 6 outdoor / uv rated cable laying around they want to sell me?
Im going to have to run a cable outside of the house, but will be able to tuck it under the vinyl siding for most of the run.

Either that or I need someone to crawl under my house in the itsy bitsy crawl space and my back and knees don't support that process.

Just anecdotal but I've had like an 80ft run of indoor cat5e ran outside mostly just under raftertails and it's been going strong for a couple years now. So maybe worst case? :shrug:

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 2, 2021

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

otter posted:

I thought about this. It is on the southern side of my house, and I could probably hide almost all of it from most of the sun, and I guess I could replace it in 5 years or so, but I just wanted to avoid all the hassle if I could.
Yeah, I have about an 8-10 ft section right before it goes into our sunroom that gets 100% of the southern tx sun, looks the same as the day it was installed, now how long that will last is the good question hah, hoping it's years yet so I dun have to gently caress with it.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

spouse posted:

I just bought a 2000 sqft house with a 1300sqft shop about 50' from the house, and I've got 90% of my networking stuff planned out, but I'm stuck on one thing, the Router.

Ubiquiti seems to be sold out of everything and resellers are asking huge markups, so that scuttles my plan to go Dream Machine and a POE switch. So I'm thinking Mikrotik might be a solid pick within my budget... but which one is really the appropriate router for someone with gigabit cable (so 1000/30~ down/up) 4 IP cams, 2 servers running plex and VMs, two desktops, two laptops, tv, cellphones, couple of consoles?

Is the RB4011 appropriate for that sort of setup? Should I look elsewhere? I 've heard they've had some security issues in the past.

Really, I'm just looking for alternatives to ubiquiti for a home router that's better than "Asus router that doubles as a shuriken" but not as intense as "my homelab can transfer data at 10Gbps now! No mom, i still haven't met anyone".

I feel like maybe I say this to much, but check out Omada by TPlink if you end up not wanting something more advanced. Very reasonably priced hardware, it does not have some more advanced options and features that you may or may not miss however.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

DerekSmartymans posted:

The fun thing is we have 10 homes on our 4 mile long street that have been praying collectively just to get Comcast to lay cable from its current terminal point to our road. Our choices are cellular or satellite. Even motherfucking Dialup doesn’t work. 56k won’t stream YouTube, but our 1920s-era copper wires will not even push 28.8K reliably! And many of us have horror stories about the practices of 1st/2nd gen satellite providers. I downloaded an Ubuntu ISO and our house was throttled to unusable bandwidth for 13 days. For just under $100/month. And it was 2down/0.5up with a minimum latency under perfect conditions of 1000ms. Many, many really fun games with multiplayer , and later no-physical media downloads were straight up impossible. My GoG library is full now of games like Mass Effect-supposed to be fun, but I never had access to what many well regarded games from 2005-2018 because of data caps. Skyrim was great because it was a DVD with no DRM, and later on the (smaller-sized) mods kept it fresh. WoW was ok for PvE, but it took 10-12 months for me to learn how to stealth and backstab in PvP because you had to psychically predict the placement of your moving foe 1.5 seconds in the future! Always on DRM for single player PC games (Splinter Cell: Conviction was the worst!) made games unplayable for months until they patched it out due to sales and returns.
Depending how bad you want it, I've known people to hire someone to trench the lines in themselves and then have Comcast come out and hook it up.

Friend of mine runs an excavation company and he has put in lines well over a mile to get peeps cable. Can get pretty pricey depending on length and how many other utilities that may need to be crossed.

I would assume most places wouldn't have an issue with that, but I'd run it by a Comcast tech first.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Beef Of Ages posted:

I really need to do this; is it really as easy as spoofing the gateway MAC address after it registers?

Yeah it super easy, look up the dumb switch bypass for more details. However, do note they are rolling out new network stuff that makes it so you can't bypass it anymore. So you may not be able to depending on your location, and/or it may not last. I was using it for about two years but they upgraded the network I'm on and lost the ability to bypass it.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure if this would fit better elsewhere but has anyone ever used a cell antenna booster with a wifi hotspot for rural internet? It looks like I could get a 100gb plan from AT&T for $55, and if the cell booster works that seems like it might be more reliable than Viasat or HughesNet. I'd probably get on the waiting list for Starlink, but that's a year+ out. I'm looking at buying a house way out in the middle of nowhere so the wired options do not exist. It's also a pretty wooded area so I would be worried about reception for satellite.

So I did use cell service for internet (Verizon) when I lived out in the sticks, but this was like a decade ago, so things hopefully have improved. I had a USB modem/hotspot, and used an antenna very similar to the below one. I had great results with it after mounting the antenna, could play online games use voip etc, things that didn't really work with satellite.

https://www.alternativewireless.com/surecall-exterior-truck-wide-band-antenna-sc130w.html

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Actuarial Fables posted:

Thankfully it was classified as an "installation" issue so I didn't get charged for it. The tech replaced the ONT with a fiber outlet and changed out the previous router with a "BGW320-500", so I think I got an upgrade. I'd like to use my own gear, but the WiFi (4x4ax) outclasses my AP (2x2ac) and I don't have a router that can take an SFP module, so maybe I'll rework my setup instead.

If it's AT&T, once they install a 320 you can't go back, as the ONT is built into the router, and they won't install an ONT just to give you an old router they are working to phase out.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

I'm fed up with the ubuiqiti gear. My UAP AC lites are crapping the bed and the wife is (validly) complaining that the Wifi doesn't work. I tried updating to the latest firmware, but that seems WORSE.

Looking to dump ubquiti all together.
I have two sites, with USGs at both locations, with a site to site VPN. Total of 5 APs between the two locations. One has 1000/1000Mbit fiber.

So I'm looking to buy:
2 routers
router supports site to site vpn
router supports gigabit line rate WAN
probably ~5 APs, don't have to be bleeding edge standards
PoE if possible, wall warts acceptable.

Looking under $1,500, slightly flexible on price. Inflexible on dumping ubiquity.
What is reasonable to buy?

edit: pfsense routers, are they still A Thing? What sorta hardware would I need for gigabit line rate

I think omada does all you want? I've been running a basic setup for a while, just a router and two APs fed with poe injectors. (Bought the 1350 APs on ebay for 35$ each) Mainly because I have been cheap and not bought a poe switch or replaced the other dollar bin ap I have. Was pretty surprised how easily it all setup and have not had any issues in months.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Inept posted:

Yeah most of their Edgemax line has been out of stock for a year or more, and I'll believe they're continuing updates when I see it.

Speaking of, what's the alternative these days if you just want a decent router appliance for $100-200 and already have APs? It seems like no one makes cheap ones any more except Mikrotik.

TP Links' omada is decent and very reasonably priced (at least I think so), ER605 is around $60 iirc. Seems to play fine with my non omada APs, but I'm also doing nothing fancy with them.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I like the omada stuff, good experiences with it so far, simple, easy to setup and so far it just works. The price is quite reasonable too especially if you go for the slightly older APs, I went with a couple EAP225s off eBay for cheap.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Anyone have any recommendations for small, cheap, POE powered switches? Looking for a couple dumb switches but if there are smart ones that are reasonably priced that's fine too.

Not sure why but I am having a hard time finding switches that are POE powered, I would have thought they would be easy to find, not have to plug them in and all, but maybe I'm not using the correct terminology or something?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Rap Game Goku posted:

If you're not opposed to Unifi there's the Switch Flex Mini, 5 ports POE.
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-switching/products/usw-flex-mini

Not a bad price, and I assume if I don't set it up to work with the controller it will just work as an unmanaged switch?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Sniep posted:

Yeah it will, but the value of it is when you have a Unifi PoE switch on the other side so there's no power cable and you get the awesome management stuffs

there's plenty of small unmanaged gbit switches out there these days for pennies

Yeah but I can't find any as cheap as that unifi one that I can power with POE. I mostly use omada things atm, so not sure I want to bother with another controller. Which is why I was thinking just using it unmanaged.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

i have heard that all methods of bypass are currently hit-or-miss dependant on whether or not your neighborhood has rolled out XG-PON and there is no way to know which unless you try and fail?

Yeah, and if you are on the newer network and they set you up with the new all in one (bgw 320) afaik there isn't a feasible way to bypass it. I talked to a tech that said it's technically possible but requires specific hardware and you getting a tech to auth it onto their network. (Terminology here may be bit off but that is the general gist iirc)

However if you are lucky and on the older network it's super easy to bypass the garbage att router with a dumb switch, I did it for several years.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sounds like the dumb switch is the quickest and least fail-proof way to check? If it is, I will dig one out of The Drawer at work and give it a shot before moving to options that consume fewer outlets.

Is it possible to be on the BGW210 and also be on the new network?

Yup, it is very easy to do, biggest downside is if you have a power outage, you have to manually swap back to the att router to auth (or wtvr it does) and then switch back to yours.

Yeah, they upgraded the network I was on when I had a 210 and it broke my dumb switch, so after some back and forth I just had a tech come out and replace it with a 320 as if I am stuck using their router might as well use the newer one.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

FunOne posted:

I'm looking at houses that might have ATTs new 2 and 5 gig Fiber offerings available. Does anyone know how these terminate at the house? Can I use an Edge Router, Mikrotik or similar on my side or am I required to use their device?

I have Google's Fiber now and I know their 2 gig service requires using their router, which I'm not a huge fan of (and I have no way of really using all this speed anyway).

You have to use their router, it's the bgw320. The fiber comes straight into the modem/router no separate ONT or junction box etc. You can put it into a sort-of passthrough and use wtvr you want behind it.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Glimm posted:

I'm in this boat, trying to get someone to replace some wires in my house. Everyone I contact only does commercial jobs.

I've had luck in the past of home audio peeps getting back to me with quotes much more regularly than other peeps, granted the costs were pretty silly, so I just bought some pull rods and premade cable and ran my own.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well I don't know if I am actually going to get these, seems like a too good to be true deal, but who knows.

Only needed one, but at $15 each...I can find a use for another.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 12, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

fyallm posted:

I am switching to fiber internet now that it is ran in my neighborhood and need something to work with these gig speeds. House size is 4,600sqft with multiple levels and a basement, so I want to go mesh. I work from home, and we stream tv / 4k, usually will be about 5 people on the network. What's the go to mesh routers for fiber / gig speeds?

Are there any Ethernet drops? Or are you looking for entirely wireless? I would think so if you are talking mesh but wanted to make sure.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

fyallm posted:

There is only 1 ethernet drop in an office but rest of the house is wireless.

So, honestly the "best" is wired backhaul, it's just the way to go imo. But if you don't have any interest in running Ethernet or paying someone to do it. The Ero, orbi (most common I think), and Zenwifi have been mentioned in this thread and most seem to like them, they appear to be the higher end mesh systems. I have no experience with them, I just follow the thread.

If you're interested in running wires (I think some of the mesh systems above also have wired backhaul and could take advantage of that as well), and are interested in a little more of a prosumer route. Ubiquiti appears to be thread fave, but more recently some of us also seem to have good experiences with omada. I'm a big fan, cheaper equipment, easy setup, web interface is nice, been up for months now with not a single issue. However, will need APs, POE switch (or they come with injectors), router, and a cloud controller or a PC to run it on.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 13, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

You will have to use ATTs equipment, they don't allow you to use your own, you can put their equipment in a "bypass" but it's not perfect. The "modem" is the fiber ont, and it's build into their new equipment.

That is why I am switching to give cable a try. (lets see if I regret it)

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 17, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Depending on the speed, I think they wave it at >1Gbs.

But yeah why I've used them for the last 2 years, but spectrum came in and offered $50/mo for 1Gb, so figured I'd give them a go mostly because I hate having to rent equipment I don't want/need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So I finally decided to kind of tame my network cubby... need to get some short patch cables and decide where I am going to mount that AP. But pretty happy how it turned out.

Before:

After: