Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have no idea why I just impulse-bought another AEBS (5th gen) off of SA-Mart, but hey it was only a hundred bucks. :)

I'll probably end up reselling it to a buddy who's looking for a new router, or setting it up for a family member.

While I have iPhones and iPads I only have windows PCs. This will be changing in the next year as the GF is getting an Apple laptop through work. I've only heard good things about the Apple routers, but is there a reason that I should buy an Airport Extreme over the other routers out there. I'm on my 3rd router in 3 years and would really like to not have to replace my router anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

IT Guy posted:

If you generally just want something that works, requires little config and you don't care about advanced network features, then the Air Port Extreme is a good choice. It's a well built device. Stay away from the Air Port Express though.

To answer your question though, there really is no reason to get it over a cheaper one that requires a little more configuration if you don't care about that.

That is more in line of what I'm looking to do. Set the drat thing up and then forget about it. I have a Cisco WRVS4400N and while its labeled as Cisco its really just a rebadged Linksys down to the firmware. I've had to reset it every other day recently and even factory resetting it only gets it working for about 6 hours.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Dogen posted:

This is why I went apple on all my network poo poo about (well, except a couple switches) about 7 years ago now: so I don't have to dick around with resetting connections/routers/whatever on a regular basis.

Well I just got done installing the airport extreme and it was super easy to do. The iPhone took care of setting it up. Here's hoping I don't have to touch the settings anytime soon.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

crm posted:

Any recommendations on upgrade antennas for an Asus RT-N16?

Also, is the moca / ethernet over coax thing completely dead?

DirecTV is using a propriety version of it to do their Whole Home DVR service. I have a Coax to Ethernet bridge thing next to my router. I know that Comcast used MOCA on their Whole Home DVR service as well.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Unless you really need 3rd-party firmware or a browser interface, the Airport Extreme is the best thing you can buy right now in the consumer market as far as I can tell. The transmit power is ridiculous and as have already been posted, the specs are stupendous.
I recently got an Airport Extreme and would highly recommend it. I used to have to mess with my router, reset it, do a factory reset and haven't had to touch the settings since setting it up. My speeds also improved for basic web browsing. It's not the cheapest router out there but at least you don't have to install some alternate firmware just to get it working right.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Fruit Chewy posted:

Is the T-Mobile Cellspot (branded Asus AC1900) for a $25 deposit a better router than anything I'd get under $100? Is it worth the trouble to flash the stock Asus firmware on it? I've heard the only modification is WiFi calling QoS but I'd never have any WiFi calling devices using it anyway.

I replaced an apple airport with it and get better coverage and it almost maxes out my gigabit connection. They also waived the deposit so I can't complain about the cost. I'm too lazy to change the firmware so I'm running it stock and have no complaints.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

I recently got a Ubiquiti Amplifi mesh system to replace my C7. If your needs are just "plug in and forget it" I highly recommend this - it just works. I don't love that you use a smartphone app for configuration, but neither was it an issue at all - the app is intuitive. I was able to quickly reserve some static DHCP leases and set up port forwarding, which is about as advanced as this thing gets but also as advanced as my needs. I'd recommend it for most normal users, particularly parents.

One thing I don't like is the lack of USB ports - no adding drives or printers easily if that is something you need.

But the performance is excellent. I found that the base router has a much stronger signal than the C7, and then adding the two mesh points greatly enhanced the coverage throughout my sprawling house.

Which model did you get? Base, LR, or HD. I am looking at getting one of these mesh systems and the Amplifi seems to be a decent system.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

I just have the Amplifi base. It is more than enough for my coverage needs.

How are the speeds if you're connected to the mesh adapter?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

I haven't done any real testing. My best response is "fast enough that I can't tell when I'm on the base station vs the mesh points." My internet connection is 50/5, it is more than good enough to saturate that even from the mesh points.

I could maybe try to do some better testing when I'm home.

I wouldn't mind if you could see how different it is. I have gigabit internet but honestly if I can get 100mbit that's plenty fast for streaming

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

I haven't done any real testing. My best response is "fast enough that I can't tell when I'm on the base station vs the mesh points." My internet connection is 50/5, it is more than good enough to saturate that even from the mesh points.

I could maybe try to do some better testing when I'm home.

Well I was looking on eBay and found a "used for testing" LR version for $175 and since I've been having issues with signal in one room I jumped on it. Hope I'm not disappointed

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

ArsTechnica has a really nice write up today on several of the mesh network offerings, including the Amplifi and Google Wifi. It has real coverage maps and throughput numbers, which I think you'll appreciate much more than anything I can put together. The author of that article also links to another similar test he did recently for the Wirecutter, which touched on a few of the other mesh competitors. Wish I'd had all that info a few months ago - I'm very happy with the Amplifi but after reading those two articles I may have gone a different direction.

That is a good article and I read it today. I was looking at wireless extenders as there is only one room in my house that doesn't get good signal I think I will be happy with anything to improve things.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Amplifi set up and now have good signal everywhere in the house. When I'm connected to the mesh points it is only about 70Mbps up and down but that is plenty fast enough.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Amarcarts posted:

I'm looking for a wireless router that has decent range for a larger home but doesn't need to support a huge number of devices and can't be too complicated because it's for mom and dad. I don't really want to pay the apple-tax.

The Ubiquiti stuff in the OP sounds like it might be a little complicated for older folks.

The Amplifi is made by Ubiquiti but it's their consumer line. I got the base model and it solved all of the dead zone problems I had in my house. Don't buy the LR version as it still has 802.11n mesh points, just has slightly higher power. Most of the time I am in range of the base station and get really good speeds, but when I get into the fringe areas I still get 50+Mbps to the internet. It is also an awesome router for those with gigabit internet as I can get 900+ tests going easily.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I’m going to be moving into a new construction house where they install a 12port switch and wireless AP but I’ll be needing to provide my own router. I am also lucky to live in an area that has symmetrical 1Gbps fiber connection. What’s the most cost effective router that doesn’t have wireless. I wouldn’t mind if It has some QoS/protection stuff but could also get something else to cover that.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Who is the fiber provider? If it's ATT they require usage of their router.

I live in Longmont and we have Nextlight through the city. They just provide an ONT.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

The ubiquity er-x and friends is an excellent choice. I would also be prepared to throw away whatever they installed from an ap point.

Looking online the AP aren’t too bad. Ruckus R510 https://www.commscope.com/product-type/enterprise-networking/wireless-access-points/indoor/r510/
It’s not WiFi 6 but 867 is not terrible. It should be about the same as my eero pro. They also put in a 12 port PoE gigabit switch which will be nice should I ever want to change the APs

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I'm jealous, several coworkers live there. And yes ruckus is a real enterprise company I take it back.

We have Nextlight now and I didn’t want to give it up when moving. So the only thing I couldn’t tell is if the Ruckus setup will function as a router too. My initial googling looks like it doesn’t which is why I’m shopping.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

devmd01 posted:

I do exactly that with my ER-X. One port is hooked up to a totally segmented vlan on my switch.

Is it pretty easy to change the wan port? I’m wondering as the switch they’re installing in my new house is PoE capable and I’d like to have 1 less power cable in the network rack.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

There is no wan port. There is the port you configure for your wan. Also the er-x doesn't have poe do not believe their marketing lies. Seriously.

Bar stewards. I just wanted to have one less power brick down there. Oh well

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

bobbilljim posted:

Alright team I ended up getting a mikrotik hex s (RB760iGS) because ER-X was out of stock everywhere, I just noticed it has a "PoE" out port. I am wondering if any of the poe experts in here know if that will power a unifi UAP-AC-M or should I just play it safe and use the ubiquiti injector?

Relevant information:
- UAP states it uses "Gigabit 802.3af PoE"
- UAP injector currently in use is 24v 0.5A

-hex has a 24v wall wart included
-hex can run on 802.3af/at or "passive" poe
-hex can output "Passive PoE up to 57V" at a max of 0.5A

from what little reading I have done it seems like the unifi is actually more standards compliant, is that right?

Comedy option: power the mikrotic from the unifi injector and UAP from the mikrotik??

I too like you am finding it harder to get an ER-X and found someone local selling a ER-4 for about $160. It hasn't sold in a little while so I'm hoping to low ball him a little. My main concern is I do have symmetrical gigabit and while I don't think QoS is required I know with an ER-X it would have to be disabled. Would the ER-4 be able to run QoS at full gigabit?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Actuarial Fables posted:

No. I believe the ER-4 maxes out at around 400mb/s with QoS enabled. The UDM Pro is the cheapest Ubiquiti router that can do full gigabit on non-hardware offloaded (QoS, IDS/IPS) traffic.

Sounds like I'll save my money and find a ER-X then. Thanks for the sanity check.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

rufius posted:

No - most reports say 400-450 Mbps.

I think you meant 400 Mbps, not 400 mb/s as that’d be closer to 3Gbe.

That said, I run an ER-4 without QoS on a gigabit connection. If you’ve got gigabit, you probably won’t need QoS unless you’re doing serious throughout. The ER-4 routes at 4Gbps for LAN so you’d need serious traffic to really push it.

I have regularly been maxing the WAN bandwidth at 900+ Mbps including both my wife and I on video calls without issue.

Would you say $130 for a used Er-4 is a good deal?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Christ, I paid $80.98 for several of my ER-X-SFPs. New. Is this what Corona pricing has done to us.

The pandemic has definitely driven the price/availability of the ER-X up, which is why I was looking at the ER-4.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

There is a global shortage on hardware. Actually buying enterprise switches is terrible.

The company I work for has an agreement with Cisco on gear and we order equipment way in advance and we’re running into hardware shortages as well. Thankfully we’ve been able to just use some slightly higher port density routers but the shortage definitely is hitting us at times.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Ah so you're neck deep in it. We don't have guaranteed deals because we're not that cool yet. Though we should probably start. Mellanox gotta get me some switches. I blame bitcoin since nvidia owns them now.

We buy enough equipment that we have contracts direct with Cisco, hell we have bi-weekly meetings with them and chew them out on software bugs. I used to be just on the inventory side of the house but now that I'm on the deployment of metro-ethernet/wave gear it is a totally different beast. It is crazy that Cisco, Nokia, Ciena are all having similar stocking issues. What is funny is that I'm looking forward to actually having a router I can configure via CLI since its how I have to configure our Cisco and Juniper routers today.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Harlock posted:

Wondering if everyone might have some advice or suggestions for me.

Just built a new PC and everything is great except the CAT5 cable I'm running from the router is only being recognized on the PC as 10mbps. I did some troubleshooting and then brought the PC right next to the router and plugged in a small 6 ft CAT5e cable and boom - gigabit connection. For whatever reason, the new PC hates the current cable and isn't getting the needed speeds.

Looks like I may need a replacement 50 foot ethernet cable if anyone has any suggestions on reputable brands or quality cables.

I've never gone wrong with Monoprice https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2115

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

otter posted:

this thing is out for delivery at the moment. We shall see what it does for stability.
Last night I left my ethernet cable draped across the floor from one end of the house to the other, and when I got up, I found my computer would not connect to any websites. I tried to drop the connection of the ethernet port, tried to switch ports, but came up with self-assigned IPs both times. Rebooting the PoSGDMFE* resolved this instantly however, I think it's bullshit that I have to do that for something that I had to pay actual money for. I think I need to just replace the damned thing and start over. My brother has an Orbi thing and his advice was "avoid Orbi" but he was vague about why.

* Piece of poo poo God Damned Mother loving Eero; it's new proper name.

I had an Orbi and it would randomly stop working and would require a reboot. Was awesome as you'd be connected but couldn't go anywhere. I replaced it with an Eero which worked well but I would advise against paying for their "security" it made random things not work correctly. For example the PS4 would download no faster than 2Mbps even when physically connected. We had to actually make a "guest" network to resolve that if I wanted to use the security features. I still used it until I moved to my new house but never thought they were worth the extra cost. I'm not sure there is a better option out there except doing a separate router and APs like we have now.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

So since I have early access, I updated the firmware on my EdgeRouter X from 2.0.9-hotfix.2 to 2.0.9-hotfix.3, no ill effects for the past few hours and it actually freed up a few MB of disk space more than hotfix.2.

Does it say what updates/fixes it has? I have been running hotfix 2 for a several months without issues and don't see a reason to update it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

movax posted:

Updates the MOTD on login to add 'lol we swear / pinky-promise EdgeMAX is NOT EOL'

That feels so true. I have an EdgeRouter 4 as I am lucky enough to have symmetric gigabit internet and got a good deal on a used one but don’t know what I would use instead

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

gently caress yeah, saw EdgeRouter 4s in stock at Ubiquiti, I ordered that sucker right away!

Drtveless Dream Machine Pros and SEs appear to be in stock too (at the time of this posting) but I expect them to be sold out later today (as also what I just ordered)

So my EdgeRouter X will be put into switch mode once I get the EdgeRouter 4 set up.

Edit: Dream Routers appear to have been removed from the Ubiquiti site for some reason, maybe its off Early Access

I got the EdgeRouter 4 during COVID from some guy at less than retail price and was ecstatic. Seeing they they’re still charging 199.99 for it makes that seem like even more of a deal. I love that I never have to touch it. Mine has been up for half a year and the only reason I rebooted it was to troubleshoot an AP issue I was having.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

You have incoming gigabit?

There's two assholes trying to sell the ER4 on Amazon for $319 and $373, beware.. it's still in stock for $199 at Ubiquiti.

Oh yeah, EdgeRouter X is back in stock ($59) at UI, Dream Machine SE and Pro, Switch Flex Mini still in stock, but the new hotness Dream Router is sold out.

WTF, UI took my money but it's still not shipped yet? Is there like one person fulfilling orders this week?

I have incoming municipal GPON, Wired speeds I see about 950-980 but it is hard to find sites that I can max out. I'm just happy its a set it and forget it device. I've used plenty of other devices that had to be rebooted every once and a while.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Muir posted:

Awesome, thanks! I hadn’t considered putting some access points in my crawl space but that could work well for covering the first floor and the basement (if the concrete and rebar walls of the basement don’t stop it).

If you don’t think Ubiquiti is worth a premium, what brand would you suggest I also consider? TP-Link?

TP-Link Omada is pretty good but just bear in mind some of them are fairly large. I tried them in my home but sent them back after they didn’t work so well in my house. They were nicely made, they just didn’t give any reception in my backyard which the Ubiquiti did.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Cloud gateway ultra just went back in stock. I managed to snag one.

Was weirdly still in stock so I ordered one for myself. I have gigabit internet and have never been able to do IDS/IPS on my ER-4. I might look at selling it after I get the UCG-Ultra.

Edit: There are still 427 in stock for anyone that needs one.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Nope, says CGUs are sold out as of 1:30 PM on UI's site.

I edited it last night. I should’ve added a second edit.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Cyks posted:

Not sure how people are getting counts but they’ve been selling out within hours if not minutes. I got 13 already and will be putting in another order soon.

So to get the count you can change the quantity you want to a number like 9999 and add it to the cart. Go to the cart and it’ll tell you the number you can change it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Didn't realize that there's enough demand for 427 Ubiquiti routers to sell through in a day.. woof

These were just released like 3 weeks ago and are pretty significant upgrades from what they had. You have resellers and other professionals also buying up the stock. I also don’t think they’re making a large number of them so that they don’t have a bunch just sitting on the shelf.