Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Yeah! You can reterminate both ends of the bad cable. Home Depot sells the jacks.

100 mbit ethernet is only using two of the four pairs, while gigabit requires all four, so you can get wacky poo poo like that. Hopefully it's a bad termination and not a bad cable run.

A cable tester will tell you for sure, but guessing you don't have access to one.

KS fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I know you said you reterminated the cable, but it's still likely a cable issue. Fast ethernet uses 2 pairs. Gigabit uses all 4. You have a break in one of the unused pairs. If the common link is the power injector, that's likely the problem.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Steakandchips posted:

Q3. If I set up a Guest Network checked here (with VLAN unchecked):

and keep Guest Portal offline:

will this do what I want, i.e. set up a new wifi network that's segregated from other devices, and can only to get access to the internet? And I wouldn't need the smart switch and/or messing with the VLANs?

I want to back up to this and say that yes, this will work. Ubiquiti and many of the other vendors can handle segregating devices from each other on a -guest network without needing distinct vlans. Apologies if I missed someone else saying it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Deploying Wifi 6 APs at work and OFDMA is the biggest advancement to wifi in at least a decade. Problem is you really need either 100% wifi 6 devices, which will take years for most houses with IOT devices, or dual/tri-radio APs to segregate AX from legacy clients, which is cost prohibitive for home.

Don't think it's a feature worth waiting for at this point.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Red_Fred posted:

Ok so what’s my best practise here? Presumably I need to pay the one off fee to my ISP for a static IP to start with as they confirmed they use CGNAT so port forwarding is out.

But then do use the VPN from Synology? Or PiVPN? Or can I even use my ER-X?

I’m clearly a noob so I would like the one that’s easiest to setup and deal with even if that’s at the expense of some security.

You could pay for a static IP (kinda cool that it's a one time cost, it's usually recurring) and VPN to your router or a machine behind it.

If the static IP is cost prohibitive, another option is to get a cloud instance, VPN your phone to that, and VPN your home network to that as well. Traffic between your phone and your home would route through the VPN endpoint. Something like this. As someone else said you're better off on an unmetered VPS endpoint instead of an AWS instance if you're going to put significant data through it. This is not completely trivial stuff if you're foreign to networking concepts.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Hadlock posted:

There is something to be said though, that most people very, very rarely saturate a 1gbps link. Valve won't let me download games from Steam at any faster than 250mbps, so I'm stuck waiting SEVEN minutes to download Counter-Strike: GO instead of 2 :rolleyes:

That's not Steam, your ISP is throttling you or not buying adequate upstream -- or your CPU's maxing out as it's decompressing the data. I can't quite hit 1gbit on a 4790k.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Very common. Netflix will pass out OCA caches to ISPs with >5 gbps of Netflix traffic. Google has GGC, Akamai has AANP if you do >10gbps. It's good for everybody.

Weirdly no AWS CDN option.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

movax posted:

I err conservative on my settings that a lot of folks may not like killing off the auto optimize features and things like that....The current issue I’m actually having is the devices at my parents’ place seem to be sticking to 2.4 and not always hopping to 5.

Is this one of the optimizations you turned off? Band steering is an AP behavior.

e: apparently band steering is locked behind an advanced menu?

KS fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 29, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Google Wifi, any privacy concerns aside, does this fantastically well.

My nest cams used 51gb each over the last month if it helps.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah when I got my first extender (in a previous house), I had the same SSIDs but our phones would hang onto weak WiFi ALL the time and we constantly missed messages and whatnot. The node handoff was terrible.

One of the big advantages of mesh systems/multi-AP systems in general over extenders is they can compare RSSI of clients to the various AP radios, and deauth clients to force them to reconnect to the closest AP if they're hanging on to a weak signal. So yes, you will get a much better experience.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

You are absolutely correct, but all my CAT5 outlets are terminated as phone lines in every room, and we also have coax routed as well. I've got multiple kids doing their distance learning as of today, and 1.5yo twins while trying to WFH, so I am really looking for the minimum viable product due to my lack of free time. Plopping down a new mesh router and a mesh extender seems like much less work, but yes, you are correct that it is not the most optimal solution.

If you do have CAT5 all running back to one point in a star topology, reterminating them to ethernet is easy and cheap. Adding a switch there would allow you to use a mesh system that has a wired backhaul. Can save some money -- like if you were doing a wireless backhaul you'd want the Eero Pro for its dedicated backhaul radio, but the regular Eero or the Orbi 3000 can do a wired backhaul.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

No, all my CAT5 is daisy chained through each room, unfortunately. That would have been super nice though.

There's also nothing wrong with a setup like this, up to 7 hops end to end. In a world where gigabit switches are $15 it's an option.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Hmm, is that a switch and mesh node in every room I want a mesh node in? That's not an awful idea.

Either switch and a mesh node (wired backhaul) or a switch and just a standalone AP like a ubiquiti AP.

Router can be in any room in the chain. You can have two switch chains leading out of the router if your router has multiple switchports, or a router hanging off any of the arbitrary number of switches. It will all work.

KS fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 12, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Any others I should consider? One doesn't look like it stands above the rest here. The X60s look cool but are only dual band. The M9s have tri band, but only wireless AC. The Eero Pro can only do wireless to the Beacons, and is way more expensive and only has AC.

The Orbis that supports AX look super expensive. It does have 4 LAN ports, which I suppose would eliminate the need for a switch at each node.

I can't speak to the TP-Links.

If you want a wired backhaul on the Eero Pro, a 3 pack of Pros is $100 more than the Pro+2 beacons. Thing is, though, the advantage of the Pros is tri-band, so if you can commit to wired (or a non-dedicated backhaul) you can also do the non-pro for $199 for a 3-pack.

I've posted previously that I don't think AX/Wifi 6 is a killer feature for home use right now as the improvements are around device density and require 100% client support, which will take years to achieve. The cheaper Orbis may be a good option if they also include the switches.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It actually does still give a benefit per one of Eero's devs here which is slick for a consumer device. You'd know better how heavily your family uses wifi.

If you go with the non-pros you still have the flexibility to start with wireless while you cable. Any of these should handily beat your extenders.

e: this is unverified but the same dev appears to say you can use both ports as a switch.

KS fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 15, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That's not true, the first Eero plugged into the WAN should be the router.

Apparently it's an issue with only my ISP (Consolidated Communications/CCI). We get fiber straight to the house, and we don't use a modem. The signal gets modem-ified out at the junction box, or whatever it's called. So, we have fiber straight to the house, then that is converted to CAT5. There's something funky in Eero that can't handle that and causes it to not be able to get an internet connection.

Huh, I actually use Consolidated too, and love it. I have not seen that problem. I am able to cycle between routers without issue, don't need to reboot any equipment or anything. That's really odd. I know there's no PPPoE or VLAN setup required for Consolidated.

https://old.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/gk980v/deadlock_with_eero_pro_on_consolidated/ has several people with that issue. Does the WAN get a physical link light when it's directly connected?

KS fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 26, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Have you ever used an Eero? I think it's just an issue with it. I've never had a problem on CCI until I switched to Eero a couple days ago.

Well, I'm about to go buy one, because I'm super curious. What market are you in? There's a post here saying it works in Sacramento, where I am, however it's a year old and some of the posts say it stopped working since then.

Gigabit lives up to expectations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Roseville.

Even Eero’s help articles says to use another router before the Eero because they don’t support PPPoE. Lame.

From the Eero forums, it sounds like it used to work until a firmware update ~6 months ago.

So I found a pack in stock today and sniffed the WAN using a SPAN port and wireshark. The Eero is sending DHCP offers and not getting replies. The offer packets don't look malformed in any way. It looks like it's Consolidated's fault.

Also got this reply:

"6roybatty6" posted:

I asked CX about this and it turns out to be a bug in the firmware on one particular model of GPON terminal- the Zhone one you've got. We'll probably try to work around it soon but I'd suggest that it's probably quicker to get a new ONT that doesn't have the bug.

So that's some potentially good news.

Then I did an experiment -- the packet capture was showing inbound retransmits still going to the IP address held by the old router, which isn't quite the right behavior. I powered down the ONT completely (have to remove the battery too) and then connected the Eero and booted it all up. And it WORKED. I'll be excited to hear your results.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Are you posting on the eero forums?

Yup, that's me. Day 2 of connection direct from Consolidated to Eero without issues, but two others have said it didn't work for them, so :shrug:

Incessant Excess posted:

An additional question to this, I currently have a Netgear R7000 which is connected to my cable modem and serves as my router and WIFI network. Could I buy a mesh WIFI solution and hook it up in a way where it *only* replaces the WIFI network of my router, meaning my devices would keep their current IPs and I wouldn't have to set up things like my NAS anew. Is something like that possible? And if so, are there any downsides to doing things this way?

To do this, you'd turn of wireless on the R7000 and put the mesh system in bridge mode. I can't think of any major downsides. Just need to check support. Quick google says Amplifi, Eero and Orbi support this and Google Wifi does not.

KS fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 31, 2020

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I think you'll not quite hit 1gbps but probably pretty close.

My gigabit upgrade needed new APC connectors on the fiber and the re-termination of the in-house ethernet drop with a cat6 connector. I imagine it's something similar.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Incessant Excess posted:

I realized today that an Eero Pro setup, which I had my on until today, requires an additional router.

No it doesnt. Some of the Eero discussion upthread was re: a workaround for one specific ISP. The gateway Eero gets connected to your modem and acts like a typical router.

Incessant Excess posted:

Looked into this a bit more and I'm not certain this is actually the case. I currently have a cable modem which connects to my router, which in turn connects to my wifi extender which connects my desktop. Would it possible to replace that setup with an eero configurations like this:

The red lines are wired connections, the blue ones wireless.

This is a valid setup.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Matt Zerella posted:

Quick switch question.

Is there anything on the market with these features?

Managed switch
Fanless
1 sfp+ or 10gbe port in addition to the 8 (if possible)
At least 1 Poe port

Certain 2960-Ls and 3560-CXs check this box and can be had for <$200. You just need to watch Ebay for deals.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Azhais posted:

isn't wifi-6 pretty bad

WiFi 6 is very, very good once all devices support it. OFDMA is the biggest addition to the WiFi standard in quite some time and it's a killer improvement for dense environments with lots of low bandwidth or streaming devices. It's just going to be years before all the lovely IOT devices support it, so not worth blowing hundreds of bucks on now.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It likely means that Comcast is providing the backhaul for the local cell tower.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

rivetz posted:

I am kind of done kicking myself in the nuts trying to get wifi to work reliably for everyone in the house and have engaged an outside tech to come and solve this poo poo. As a former telco guy and relative non-idiot when it comes to LANs, this was not easy, but I'm kinda done. Everyone gets bumped all the time, and it's becoming a real problem for my wife's WFH meetings. The setup: Comcast 100M → poo poo Arris modem bought used, running bridge mode → decent [url="Netgear that should totally be sufficient for house coverage.

Tech is in favor of running Cat5e up to an Ubiquity Pro upstairs to cover all bedrooms up there, which sounds fine to me. He says the issue is probably the amount of traffic across all channels; we're sandwiched between two houses and the spectrum does look super busy. I've tried sticking the wifi on one channel or another, but things move around and it seems like what's clear one day is jammed up the next.

1) Tech says the Ubiquity Pro will (should) negate this problem - T or F?

2) Tech has been recommending the Ubiquity Gateway, which sounds nice but are there any real advantages vs letting the Netgear continue to run the show and hanging the Pro off of that? Our LAN needs are not complicated and I crave low-maintenance.

3) Tech recommends replacing the Arris. I agree in principle, but is that thing likely to be causing trouble if it's in bridging? My PC that's wired to the Netgear has no issues, I agree it's possible but am not into spending the $100 unnecessarily, at least not without some addl proof- It tests out fine and has no obvious issues.

You're likely not running out of 5 ghz spectrum in a single family neighborhood. The best thing to do is to diagnose where the problem lies and solve one thing at a time.
If you're getting actually disconnected from the wifi network, it's the router.
If you're staying connected to the wifi network but losing internet access, continuously ping (-t) the gateway IP and a public IP like 8.8.8.8. If the gateway ping stays up while 8.8.8.8 fails, look to the modem or to Comcast. If both pings fail at once, look to the router.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Yeah, that's your problem.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KingKapalone posted:

Any recommendations on pfSense hardware for gigabit? Look for old used hardware that's fast enough? Prebuilt stuff?

HP T620 Plus or HP T730 thin clients also work pretty well for this, along with a 2 or 4 port half height NIC (the HP versions of intel NICs are cheaper). The 620 Plus uses 6-11W and can be had for <$150 all in.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
10gbaseT via SFP+ is a fairly new thing. The SFP power budget didn't allow it until recently -- you had to choose between a fixed copper switch and an SFP-based switch and use twinax or fiber. It's a niche product in my world because it adds some latency and the cable length limitations are onerous. It's probably fine for home.

The ER Infinity doesn't have a switch chip, so traffic between 10gig interfaces will hit the CPU. That generally sucks. There's going to be a level of "good enough" performance somewhere where further upgrades don't matter, and you're going to have to figure out if it satisfies what you need. That said, if you're considering paying for Gigabit Pro, you probably don't want to go that route. I'd look for a used 10gbit fixed switch with some SFP+ uplink ports, I think.

BTW gigabit pro is pretty :krad: as it's essentially their business metro-e circuit. They provision a 2gbit fiber port and a 1gbit copper port on a Juniper router that lists for about $8k, and you can actually use both ports if you have the gear. e: Ah, you said that.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

admiraldennis posted:

That's kinda what I feared - thanks. Probably can't really cheap out here and be happy :)

Thinking about it more, you could also look at an mgig switch with some 10 gig uplinks -- it's sorta the way access points are headed, and it's quite a bit cheaper. Unfortunately I don't think Ubiquiti's really there yet. You'd still need to figure out how to route a 2 gbit connection.

admiraldennis posted:

It's very expensive for a residential product ($320/mo + $1k install) but I think that's actually a lot cheaper than what we pay for our single 1/1 fiber line at the office.

Yeah, $700 is pretty common. It's a good deal.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
If you want dead simple/no cables, I'd buy a Google/Nest Wifi or Eero 3 pack and set up a wireless mesh.

150/150 is like... 5 4k video streams, so you could upgrade but not likely the issue here.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I think I've said I don't think Ubiquiti is a great buy. If you're not willing to tinker, buy a good mesh system and you'll be happier. If you're willing to CJ your home gear, used enterprise gear is the same price and has a better feature set.

Used Cisco APs actually have working 802.11r/band steering/CleanAir/etc -- when I hear Ubiq users recommending separate SSIDs or turning off 2.4 in TYOOL 2020 I shake my head a bit because that stuff should just work. I paid <$500 for 3 3802is.

Similarly, OPNSense/PFSense are far more capable fw/router/VPN head ends and can be run on a <$100 device with IDS/IPS.

Like 4-5 years ago I bought an ER + AP setup for my mom and walked her through setup over the phone, so I know the level of effort is not *that* bad, but the landscape has changed and now I'd get her an Eero/Google Wifi/etc now in a heartbeat. Come to think of it, her setup probably needs security patches :(

It's certainly better than the Nighthawks and Archers of the world, but I think there are usually better options.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

KingKapalone posted:

Hmm any recommendations? I've heard these boxes are good for pfSense. Also the HP T620 plus on eBay but not really seeing good deals for that or the NIC expansion card, either Intel i210 or i350, on Amazon.

HP NC365T is the HP branded equivalent of the Intel NIC -- lots available at around $25. I went the T730 route and am quite happy.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Bigsteve posted:

When I set up a static ip on the second router should I set the internet gateway as the IP of the other one?

Clueless about this stuff.

Probably. If you don't need the router that you're putting in AP mode to have internet access for e.g. firmware updates, you don't need to set a default gateway at all.

Simplest way to explain the concept: the combination of IP address and subnet mask defines the IP addresses that are part of the local network, and the default gateway handles communication to other networks outside of that.

Home network example: 192.168.0.5 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 means a device sends traffic destined to 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.254 directly. It sends traffic destined for anything else to the default gateway to be routed.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Re-IP one of the networks to a different subnet. I suggest something in 172.16.0.0/12 since it so rarely conflicts with work VPN.

Alternatively, turn off split tunnel VPN -- that will tunnel 100% of your traffic through the VPN tunnel rather than just the 192.168.0.0 space that's the destination of your wireguard tunnel.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I mean, it looks like monthly rental prices for their gateway device are $14/month. At that price, owning my own modem and router means that over 2 years I have saved $336.

However if you're stuck with Comcast (as I am in my new house) it should be noted that xFi complete includes modem rental and unlimited data for $25/month. That's a better deal than the $30 unlimited data package if you are routinely going over 1tb.

gently caress everything to do with Xfinity.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

smax posted:

Ubiquiti has UniFi 6 APs out now. The U6 Lite was just mentioned, but the U6-LR is significantly better IMO. It has 4 radios on each band, enabling much faster speeds even on older non-ax devices. I just replaced 2 UAP-AC-LRs with U6-LRs today and it doubled my wireless network speeds (for reference the UAP-AC-Lite has 2 radios for each band, the UAP-AC-LR has 3 2.4GHz and 2 5 GHz radios).

OK, that's a comical number of radios -- I had to look it up as I was envisioning budget cell phones with like 8 cameras.

MU-MIMO != radios. That's a single radio with multiple antennas for spatial streams. There are no 4x4 WiFi 6 clients I'm aware of, so the only way to take advantage of the -LR is in dense environments with multiple high speed clients (and they can't be in the same area due to how beamforming works). I'd suggest that's not worth the additional $$$ for home use.

You'd also need a mgig physical network to push a 4x4 AP, and the U6-LR just has a gbit port.

KS fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 24, 2021

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's a real thing but so is flat cat6/cat6a. Check out Monoprice slimrun.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
^^^ the Monoprice keystone panels have a 1 star average on Monoprice.com

Coxswain Balls posted:

Can anyone suggest a Canadian site or supplier I should be looking at that sells to the public, or with minimal hoops for my "consulting business"?

https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-50-Pack-Keystone-Punch-Down/dp/B00KCX6WDE/ 50 pack
https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-25-Pack-Keystone-Punch-Down/dp/B004D5PFGW/ 25 pack
https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-Mount-24-Port-Keystone/dp/B0072JVT02/ keystone panel
https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-10-Pack-Profile-Keystone/dp/B074HHDJWT/ face plates - they sell 1/3/4 as well.
https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-19-Inch-Vertical-Equipment-RK219WALLV/dp/B001YI0V7O/ What I'd do for racking -- enough for the patch panel and a 1u switch. Given the picture I'd be tempted to mount it sideways so the ports don't face upwards and it sheds dust better.

Cable Matters makes good stuff.

e: bonus rack ears: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Procurve-1410-16G-Rack-Ears-Mounting-Bracket-Kit-5066-0622-/303648682463

KS fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 29, 2021

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Assuming you don't have cabling between spaces, the preferred solution is going to be a mesh wifi system rather than an extender, which works as a repeater and slows things down.

Google Wifi, Eero, Orbi, etc.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Fantastic, thanks for those recommendations. Only roadblock now will be if there's disagreeable stud placement.

Typically solved by plywood into studs --> gear onto plywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

NovaLion posted:

So I'm moving into the new house come next month, and I'm trying to overkill the home network. I'm looking at this modem, this router, these wireless access points, and even spending extra for "better cables". Is this a good enough set up? It's a 2-story, 3000 sqft place to cover, and it's gigabit service.

You don't need the Nighthawk plus the mesh system. One of the mesh pods would be your main router. Personally, if I wanted simple I'd do an Eero 6 Pro. I think there are 3-4 mesh systems better than the Asus.

Those cables are scammy. Buy monoprice cat6a patches if you want something reasonable and reliable.

On the modem side: if you're going to be paying for unlimited with Comcast, the modem rental is free with that. If you're with a different provider, that's a reasonable choice.