Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anyone having problems with UniFi's 6.2.44 firmware for their APs? Mine just updated last night and it took out the AP. Huge poo poo show of rolling it back to get it working again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yeah idk what's up. UniFi network app says it's still running 6.2.44, I don't know why that is but it seems to be working fine now :shrug:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Rolled back the firmware on my UniFi AC-LR and it's still flakey as hell, not lasting more than a day up before taking a 12-18 hour nap. Is this thing straight up dying or is there anything else I could be trying? For reference this AP has been solid solid for years when it was connected to a TP-Link AC1750 but now that it's hooked up to a UDM pro it sucks. It just randomly goes up and down and no intervention from me changes it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

Have you tried swapping out the power injector?

I had the same thought and ordered a new one but it was purely a "throw parts at it" type situation. We'll see what happens when it shows up. Thanks for the help everyone!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'd like to start making my own Ethernet cables. Are there goon favorite tools/cables/connectors?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Point taken. I'll let monoprice make them for me

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

so whats the difference between punching down and making patch cables? don't you do the same thing pretty much? excuse my ignorance I have no idea

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

skipdogg posted:

make sure it’s on your ISP’s approved modem list.

Speaking of I'm moving from an xfinity area to a spectrum area and was curious is my Motorola 8600 would work on spectrums network. Spectrum doesn't have the Motorola on its gig speed list but afaik it's all docsis 3.1. Spectrum is handing out free surfboards so it's a moot point I guess but I'm curious.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I just set up pihole running on an old laptop running Ubuntu and now I can't remote into my synology NAS using teleport anymore. Pihole seems to be blocking this, any idea on how to allow it?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

I just set up pihole running on an old laptop running Ubuntu and now I can't remote into my synology NAS using teleport anymore. Pihole seems to be blocking this, any idea on how to allow it?

I think this got buried with other discussions. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'll give that a try thanks!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

So this is probably a really dumb question but I'd like to sanity check this thing I'd like to do. I'd like an AP in my garage and would like to hang it off a MOCA adapter and connect it to the coax that runs from the cable box outside and through my garage to my cable modem in my office. Will the adapter interfere with the signal running through the coax to my modem? I'd be running the signal "backwards" I guess from the jack in my office that connects to the modem and then back to the MOCA adapter in the garage. If this would work anyone have a MOCA they like?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

500 symmetrical for less than 50 bucks would be the best ever for me but fiber isn't coming to my neighborhood any time soon so TS for my network

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

If I didn't rent my modem front spectrum for free And that thing had a SFP WAN uplink id prob buy it but alas

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Good lord what a day of home network bullshit. I wanted to install a camera and AP in my garage so I bought a U6 Pro and G5 flex camera from ubiquity and a MOCA setup from screenbeam because I only have coax running through the garage. It was gonna be great, Id use my ancient unmanaged switch and the two UI POE injectors i had from before I got a L2 POE switch. The MOCA install was pretty straightforward once I figured out where the MOCA filter needed to go but I could not get the new camera or AP to power up. I was checking patch cables, power cables, the injectors themselves. Nothing worked. I tried plugging them into the new switch and they got recognized immediately, WTF. Randomly I tried my old AC LR ap out in the garage and it booted up immediately. The old flex camera worked too. So the old stuff is out there now and the new stuff is in my office. Hours banging my head on this poo poo and I'm still not sure what the deal is but at least now I have eyes and wifi in the dang garage. What a dumb idea that was IDK why I even bothered

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Shugojin posted:

IIRC the U6 Pro uses a much higher voltage than the UAP-LR did so it's likely that you just didn't have the right POE injector

I'm such an idiot. You're right the U6 is 44v minimum and the injectors I have are both 24. Dang I didn't even think to check.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I guess in a way it worked out since all the old stuff is in the garage and the shiny new stuff is in the house but man what a trying half day that was. Old gear in the garage is working great though so I'll take it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i wanted to learn how to terminate network cables if/when i move my office upstairs and have a bunch of network drops installed so i bought a crimper and some rj-45 jacks and nipped off all of the ends of the variously different patch cables that make up my network rack and got to work. it was super fiddly and tedious at first but after the 10th jack or so it got to be kinda zen like! it all still looks like poo poo but at least its a little neater.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

edit: that was dumb.

it seemed like the cables I was crimping were solid core but they were all different brands so the experience was kinda here or there to say the least. is there a brand of wire people like the best? I went the easy way and bought a Klein crimper that uses pass-through connectors, is that going to work for the stuff that gets run through my house eventually?

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 4, 2024

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Get a pass-through crimping tool, it makes making Ethernet cables with RJ45 connectors super easy - I have a VDV226-110 from Klein Tools that a friend gave me several years back, when she was visiting

thats the one i got! so far the pass through has saved me probably 8-10 re-crimps. im sure the connectors are more expensive but its a big headache reducer for sure

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

this may be for a different thread but is there a VPN that doesnt slow the poo poo out of your WAN?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i got a screenbeam moca setup and its pretty needs suiting in that i plugged it in and it works and doesnt need any janitoring. it sustains a pretty high rate of data transfer as there is an ip camera on one end and an nvr on the other

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

is there anywhere that you can look to see if a certain service is coming to your area? Recently I saw some ATT trucks hanging some kind of wire from the poles near me and was wondering if fiber might be coming to my neighborhood.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i needed a filter in front of my cable modem because i guess that particular model gets weird when there is a moca adapter present. i put another one where the wire came into the house just as cheap insurance for the dang college kids living near me. who knows what theyre up to.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

yeah i never needed a filter otherwise. idk what caused the interference but the filter got everything working great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I just got an email from spectrum saying that my connection was now symmetrical and lo and behold it is. Now I can at least stop pining for a fiber connection for a while I guess.