Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Where else can you find a radio show where there are controversies over on the air puppets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I missed over an hour due to the GOP debates, and this is still one of the most solid shows I've heard.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Narwhale posted:

The best part is when Z-man calls in as himself. As he gets more flustered he starts sounding more like the puppet.

I'm imagining that in a few years, they'll be having arguments with each other, off air, about where things all went wrong.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Y'all Begone Pond is the best thing.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I think the Sharpling/PFT rift probably came from the Comedy Central show they made a pilot for not being picked up. I can only imagine how lovely that must feel, especially for Sharpling since he's had that happen once already I think.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I have to imagine that FCC fines are a huge deal for a station that's completely listener supported. A Clear Channel station (maybe even NPR) probably has contingency funds, or some kind an insurance plan in place to deal with any FCC fines.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Good Slumlord posted:

Am I alone in disliking Wurster? I've been listening for almost a year now and at this point if not listening to the show live I'll just skip passed his calls. The bits just feel very forced to me, I mean besides being overly long and totally boring.

So I'm alone?

It took me a long time to come around on the Wurster bits, mostly because I misread them initially as a prank caller gag instead of just a series of characters all with the same voice.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I've only seen Todd Barry in the flesh a couple times, both after standup sets, and he seemed amazingly polite to nearly everyone. He talked to fans, signed stuff, took photos with people, etc... without seeming the least bit perturbed. Maybe I've just been lucky, but compared to a few other stand up comics I've seen, he's pretty drat approachable.

Which episode was it that Scharpling finally listened to Mit Hamine's music?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I'll believe it in 15 episodes I guess.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Clearly Paul F. Tompkins was replaced by his duplicate from the mirror universe, complete with facial hair!

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Bad Company-ied

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Scharpling is the voice of the title character's dad in this show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL6kJ4HMTHg&t=28s

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I can't quote the episode or timecode, but there's a really good bit of Scharpling singing "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" by the Beach Boys.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
To my shame, it took me half a dozen Wurster calls to get on board with their style. Big Bill and Little Bill did the trick: https://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=1&show=36270&archive=61585

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

het posted:

Seconding this, the concept is simple and classic and Jon and Tom do a great job with it

Also the Best Show Gem that really got me into the show was actually not a Wurster call, but Jon Benjamin calling in as a Regional Sales Director for Smirnoff Ice, it's hilarious though unfortunately not necessarily representative since I think Benjamin didn't do a lot of those?

I once tried to count the number of times Benjamin name checked Smirnoff Ice and it made the whole bit twice as funny.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

NESguerilla posted:

Avalanche Bob and the talkbot guy really need to go away forever. They have to be the worst regulars in as long as I've been listening.

What, you didn't like his well timed tribute to cops?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Seltzer posted:

Tom hits me as a Marc Maron who just doesn't air his grievances (which is good imo. I can't stand WTF because of how Maron-centric the show is and how it devolves into splitting hairs over perceived sleights). A bit neurotic, overly analytical, and frequently thinks people have issues with him when it's probably a bit overblown. I know I'm assuming a lot but it seems Tom falls into these cycles.

The podcast he did with Marc Maron for Howl is quite fun. They balance each other out more than one would think.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm finding that I enjoy Wursters short weird one off calls that are just about the topic of the moment as much if not more than the long bits

He just did one where Tom was talking NBA and he called talking about how the Washington generals got replaced and the new team was totally going to smoke the Globetrotters that was great

E now a guy is calling in about feral cat hunting and how he's going to move just to hunt feral cats and open the world's first feral cat hunting lodge. He fuckin rules
E2 Andrew Earles rules
E Four Wurster calls tonight! Four! The fourth one is him making fun of a guy who called in offering to smoke Tom up. He pretends to smoke weed on the air before yelling OOOOOOOH THATS GOOOOOOOD WEEEEEED. You can keep your Mayubenortial debate or your Gas Station Dogs or your Power Pop-Pop, I just want Wurster shouting GOOOOOOOD WEEEEEEEED

What was the air date?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WtYQenZpwA

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7TYyD4Ga2o

One of many bits from 2001 about the XFL. Timely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
She made an awkward joke about a potential hire for an assistant position not being dutiful enough to have seen Difficult People.
https://twitter.com/julieklausner/status/1182672029838913538

Seems fine?