Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I dont like them.

I LOVE THEM.

They are the highlight of the show for me. The craziness of the Newbridgeverse and the rainbow of creeps Jon Wurster is able to portray (in such a "soft G" manner) never ceases to make me laugh.

The recent feltdown was quite a bit of radio. I thought Wally was pretty funny in the beginning, a puppet, on the radio, commenting on raunchy puppets, puppet matters and seemingly against his own master was sort of funny but then he just transparently became his master instead of a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

psychicsecession posted:

Does anyone have any recommended episodes/recent Scharpling & Wurster bits? I haven't listened to the Best Show in over a year and I don't know where to start again.

Episode-wise: The Four Loko Christmas Party was pretty nuts.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

Was there a Best Show Gems recently where Wurster was talking about going to the Gathering? The details all sounded really familiar but I'm pretty sure I'd never heard that before.

Rabid B. Hatchetman! They made that call the week after.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
While plugging that interview on twitter, Jon Wurster said there was no Best Show tonight (probably because Tom is off shooting a TV pilot!!).

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

Front loaded and short Jon Wurster, oh well.

I hope he comes back. Tom seems in a pretty good mood tonight.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, the thing with the banned callers was they had gotten all kinds of circle jerky and not all that funny, but, at the same time, there was a reason they became regulars in the first place, which is that at some point, they were (mostly) great callers.

The compromise should be a good way to remind them to call judiciously.

Absolutely. I cant believe no one misses Spike and his terrible Mad-Magazine names.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

Spike's back! Anyone think he's going to show up?

I sure hope so. That would be quite an evening.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

Skeevy's kind of rough. I'd like it if the OP (original puppet) got up the felt to call in and go to war with him.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe this war is the way for Wally to reassess his true character.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
That canadian kid at the beginning; holy poo poo!
Also, Vance's prog-rock storytime; amazing.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Its always lacking for me when there isnt a Jon Wurster call, but the last two shows have been solid. I'm also loving Vance.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

Any guesses on who the angry email was from? Judging by the foul language and spelling, I'm saying it was Rogan.

I think its a bit he made up, but man that would be funny if it were Rogan. I think he'd say it if it really was him.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

AP Mike also heavily hinted that there was a rift in the chat last week.

What did he say?

For me it started in an interview where Tom said the show he had been working on with PFT didnt work out and if it were to go forward, it would be without him. Seemed like bad news. Like others, its really weird to be worried about the friendship of two strangers but I love those strangers together so much!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Wurster is making the mother of all Newbridgeverse calls tonight.

OLD MAN DALRYMPLE !!!

HOLY poo poo: LARRY D. PERVISON IN THE STUDIO

Yannick_B fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 21, 2011

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I cant believe Wally Wackiman. Its just frustrating to hear that guy who had a funny character going but then weirdly folded and just became this upset person who still insists he's okay and a fun character.
Even more infuriating is you have effin Tom Scharpling feeding him advice and jokes in the form of barbs and stories and he doesnt take any of it. Guh.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

het posted:

I really cracked up at "I live in an apartment. I live with two other dudes."

One of them a squirrel! Any additional detail about Vance's life is pretty funny but all Wally can do is defend himself or moan about comic books and puppets.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

het posted:

Hahaha Pat Stickles is so ridiculously drunk, that was a bit of a trainwreck.

Yeah that felt uncomfortable after a while.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Thats a bummer. He seemed so hyped about it too.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Guys, stop talking about Kevin Allin this way. He passed on.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Good Slumlord posted:

Am I alone in disliking Wurster? I've been listening for almost a year now and at this point if not listening to the show live I'll just skip passed his calls. The bits just feel very forced to me, I mean besides being overly long and totally boring.

So I'm alone?

They are the absolute highlight of the show for me.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Asterios posted:

I'm so disgusted with the Mit Hamine crew. I know this isn't the first time a group of angry kids have attacked the show, but it's just so gross this time around.

Mit Hamine are loving terrible, but I cant figure out if they're pissed for real or if they think they are adding something to the show (like a Larry Da Perv or a Spike) while being abysmal at it.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6zHodcu7c&feature=youtu.be

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

GraPar posted:

Wurster characters getting name-dropped on SMASH: http://twitpic.com/9knwz4

Imagine Zachary Brimstead as Joe Dimaggio in the Marilyn Musical. Just imagine.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
What an amazing Wurster call right now.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

Yeah, I really was itching to re-listen to it today. The real question however, is how long till the guy from Mit Hamine blows it again? Next week?

I couldnt believe how the guy from Mit Hamine turned a corner into a worse caller persona/schtick. If he does it on purpose, he's a genius.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Pretty overt reference to PFT last night when Tom was talking about his Skum List. Must of been a pretty nasty split.

Yeah.... https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/252595863757668355

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

you are the earth posted:

Am I the only one getting tired of Jason from Alabama? It's almost becoming a segment at this point. I cringe thinking about the old Dave from Knovxille calls, and this is feeling like the second coming.

I enjoy it, he's one of those callers Tom bounces great from. One of the rare callers I'd love to be in studio with Tom one of these days.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
For a while it just felt easier to believe that Zach from Mit Hamine had this sort of unmodulated bit--the thing was a schtick but he wasnt able to entirely shade it in the right way...but then Tom gives him two minutes and it was the mother of flame-outs. The way his voice started to crack without talking back to Tom was sort of amazing and equally maddening.

What a weird shitstain--it felt like Tom was actually going to curse at him.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Tom bagging on James will never get old.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Like Nathan, I fear Antony Treymarsh cannot substain his awesomeness, but if it happens, OH MAN.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The continued growth of the Frankie Teardrop sound montage is a beauty to behold.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
So happy the show is back and I hope there's a way to buy the new Best Show theme!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

I knew that he would eventually be getting the usual podcast sponsors like Squarespace, Nature Box, Me Undies, etc, and I don't fault him at all. He deserves to get paid. Now the plugging of Jeff Bridges' album was weird as hell. It's like if he started shilling Ringo paintings.

Yeah. Jeff Bridges' album sounded exactly like something he'd make fun of. It's the type of detail he and Wurster'd put it in a call.
Still, all about Tom Gettin Paid!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The "Cute" vandal is a new Best Show classic moment. Wow.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

always be closing posted:

I skip the wurster calls, Tom rocks.

wait WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????????????

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I did not expect to get closure on the sleeping caller. A great Best Show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

het posted:

Also re: Tom Can't Complain, a couple people seem to think the last caller ("Connor"?) is Nathan Fielder. I definitely noticed during the calls that he sounded like Nathan but I just chalked it up to using a really neutral affect to be annoying

I'm convinced it's Nathan Fielder. There were little joke details in his call that were too specific. Like having to turn the page to sing the rest of Podcast Heroes to read the lyrics.