Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I called in a few months ago to talk about "It's Only Right and Natural" by The Frogs, which he says is his favorite album, and if time allowed I was going to talk about Sons of Anarchy for a minute. I was on hold for about twenty minutes, and I had to hang up cuz my 3 year old was being a 3 year old.

Mike was a nice guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

CaptainPsyko posted:

Sadly, Wally has refused.

Skeevy is now the official Best Show Puppet.

Farewell, Wally.

Good. gently caress the puppet.

I like Tom's compromise for the rest of the banned callers, though. I'd say the show is by and large better without them, but I do miss a couple of them from time to time.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

you hooligan

I've been calling people "ape" with disturbing frequency since I heard him do it a few weeks ago.

I don't know why, but it tickled my fancy something fierce.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Didja hear the news?

ZORK is comin'!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

No way, it was one of the Apple Sisters.

Yannick_B posted:

I think its a bit he made up, but man that would be funny if it were Rogan. I think he'd say it if it really was him.

I think it was a bit too, but I remember Bill Burr talking about how he enjoys emailing people who don't like him. He said he always fills them with as many grammatical errors and misspellings as possible, too, including the there/their/they're thing. It's probably not him, especially since Tom's never name checked him. Just reminded me a lot of what he said.

I think Rogan's a complete dickwad, so I wouldn't really be stunned if it was him.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Great Best Show last week. Laughed like a jackass at work way too many times. It was great to hear Matt "Toilet Mouth" Walsh again, but the subtle shot at Paul Tompkins was a little sad.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Bunk posted:

In any case, Tom with something to prove is the best Tom and the shows from the last few months have been great without guests.

He's been so annoyed by everything lately. I was in a crappy mood, and listening to him talk poo poo about The Eagles made me so happy, and the Pete Seger bit was hilarious.

Gary the Squirrel is slowly starting to morph into the Jackie Martling puppet from the Howard Stern show.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Dr.Radical posted:

As far as the PFT feud, I love Tom but I get the feeling that he might not be the easiest dude to work with. Yeah, the way he acts on radio is just a persona but I wouldn't be surprised if the lines get blurred sometimes. It seems like he would get work easier considering he wrote and executive produced a really popular show for what? 8 seasons? The only thing I can imagine that would get in his way would be reputation.

It's funny you say that, because one of Tom's callers a few weeks back said he met Tony Shaloub, and that he liked everyone from "Monk" except for some bossy, shaved ape of a writer with fudge stains all over his fingers. I don't know why, but I got the feeling he was talking about Tom.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Like any other decent human being, I too find Skip Bayliss irredeemably obnoxious. Still, I think Tom labeling him as "human garbage" and "everything that's wrong with the world" hilariously harsh and unnecessary. I always marvel how Tom can so easily straddle the line between affable and completely vicious.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

I'm curious what podcast Tom faltered to mention or else he would "get yelled at again". PFT?

The only ones he mentions with any regularity are Greg Proops's and Adam Carollo's, but I fail to see how either one would get him yelled at (except by me, cuz he trashed Smartest Man in the World a couple times, and it's an awesome podcast).

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

Skip was the person for the Troy Aikman being gay rumors. Potentially outing someone in public is pretty high on the garbagometer.

Okay, that's pretty crappy. I thought he was just mad cuz he yells on TV a lot.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

What's with the freaking Austin Powers drops?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm still blown away by Fogelnest being that annoying kid with the MTV show a million years ago. I remember the episode where he got to headbutt Wesley Willis and being so frigging jealous...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was giggling like an idiot in the grocery store the other night when Tom was telling the story about how he flips off the abortion protester every day. BEEP BEEP "Finally someone on my side... oh it's him again." He's so good at painting a picture, and I always get a kick out of Tom acting like a juvenile delinquent.

The last couple of shows weren't very good as a whole, but they had quite a few laugh out loud moments. Tom sounds pretty worn out right now, like those last couple of shows before he took a month or so off. At least in those shows he was starting to lose his temper with his bad callers rather than whining about them.

e: You can hear the exact moment he hits his breaking point last time, when he's yelling at a guy on the phone and calling him an "elitist douchebag" for liking college basketball. You can almost hear him slumping into his chair after he hangs up on him.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 6, 2013

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Juttman posted:

I agree about callers. I'm pretty done with Frankie Teardrop. The Pigpen collage stuff this summer has been killer though. And I loved a lot of the guests

I tried the Frankie Teardrop thing. It's not that interesting. Neat song, though.

The collage continues to be my favorite new thing Tom does.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Did they stop putting the Rest Show in the RSS feed?

I found a weird back door to it a couple days ago when I was digging around. I was having a drat tough time finding it through my usual links for some reason, though.

If anyone out there shares Tom's fascination with Morton Downey Jr., or if his recent interview with one of the directors piqued your interest, "Evocateur" is now up on Netflix instant watch. It was okay, but nothing earth-shattering. I enjoyed it more as a trip down memory lane than anything else. It ended up being a lot drier than I expected.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Honestly I hadn't even thought of how I wouldn't hear Wurster being an amazing weirdo anymore since I first heard the news of Tom's retirement from the Best Show. Now I'm sad all over again.

I hope they don't barge Roy. He's afraid of the wooder.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I would say the chances of them not continuing to do Sharpling and Wurster bits are slim to none. They'd probably just be released sporadically as albums on iTunes these days. I think they have actually been doing that schtick since before the best show.

My hazy recollection of their history from an interview from Tom I read is that it started during the Best Show era. Their first bit, which eventually became famous from an album release, was Wurster rating celebrities and bands with a really silly metric, and pissing a bunch of callers on live radio with it. I wish I could remember the name of the bit, but it's very similar to "Biz, Buzz, or Bust".

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I'm a week late, but Tom telling the caller that he was rooting for his death was one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. At least he wasn't mean about it.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

It's been fun listening to the show from the start. I shouldn't be surprised that someone changed over the course of thirteen years, but it's so goddamn weird how vulgar Tom is in the beginning. During a pledge drive war with Hot Rockin' Ronnie, he calls him a douche about 15 times, and a "douche drinker" on a few occasions, which is both gross and a phrase I'd never even heard before. In the four years I listened to him, I'd heard him call a guy a douche once, and that was during that amazing show that led to him taking a month off. I remember it so clearly because it was honestly jarring to hear him say something so crass. It was the guy liked college basketball, of all things, and he kept questioning Tom as to why he wasn't a fan.

Did he have a falling out with Jon Benjamin? He was such a constant contributor for awhile, and I don't remember hearing him once since I started listening to the show. I know Jon got a whole lot busier between then and now, but it's weird to have not heard from him even once since then.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Bunk posted:

Also, if you're listening to the old pledge drives you're a better man than I. I never even listened to the new ones.

Currently listening to : August 13, 2002

The one from 2001 is actually pretty funny. It's mostly Tom and Hot Rockin' Ronnie going at it. It's funny hearing Tom crow about raising $2000, too.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Weembles posted:

If anyone is going to the San Diego Comic-Con, Scharpling is scheduled to be on the Steven Universe panel on Saturday.

His after action report of this would have been one of his greatest shows ever.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Not to mention that his free time is probably limited since he got demoted to third shift at Consolidated Cardboard.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Kelfeftaf posted:

He directed that Neal Patrick Harris Heineken commercial that you've probably seen at least a dozen times if you watch TV.

I wasn't paying attention. I was too busy looking at these magazines.

What?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone going through the archives, who's the guy calling in with all the characters like the fella who got promoted to office manager and the British record promoter and Vanilla "Hotbox" Grits? I think I know the voice, but I can't place it. He's, uhhhhh, okay.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

The Walsh & Benjamin bits are easily what I miss the most in later episodes.

I'm listening to Jon Benjamin's Smirnoff Ice call right now. Good stuff.

The previous episode had a two hour call with a Nostradamus scholar. I kept waiting for the punchline, but it never came...

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've heard him on Coast to Coast. I just meant more that I thought Tom would try to sneak some more cuties into the mix, like his interviews with Uncle Luke and Kevin Smith. But nope, aside from a tanked Wurster call and another possibly set up call by a guy with an Adam Sandler voice, it was a two hour interview with some dork Nostradamus expert.

There were a couple of interesting parts, but it was mostly Tom listening to the dude drone on and on.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

It's been a lousy goddamn week for funny people I like.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

Que PFT speculation

I think it's safe to say Tom nuked that bridge. I won't say they'll never reconcile, but it won't be anytime in the next few years. And I say that because I know everything.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

j8910 posted:

Who was in the wrong? Also just tell us what happened.

I was joking about knowing everything, but Tom made it clear a few times on his show that there was no salvaging the relationship. The only people who really know are Tom, Paul, and, I dunno, probably their wives.

Of the two of them, the only one who ever brought it up was Tom, and he'd do it in the most cryptic, passive-aggressive way possible.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Double post.

It had to do with some show they were pitching to Comedy Central. That's the only other thing everyone knows about it.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 25, 2015

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Jesus Christ, I thought the whole thing with Sherman Hemsley being a prog rock fanatic was just a silly bit. So weird.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

BigFactory posted:

It's the best. The riff about Mike Gordon being a creep is amazing.

Is he the Segway peeper? I'm rusty on my Phish lore.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Illinois Smith posted:

This one has Nathan Fielder taking calls about shingles for an hour.
https://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=51339&archive=88892

Also check out anything with either PFT or Hodgman in the studio.

When that weirdo with the artisinal pencil business starts talking about his horrible experience with shingles, and you can hear Nathan in the background trying so hard to suppress his laughter, it's one of the funniest things I've ever heard on the show.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

This was the first Best Show I've listened to in a few months and it was fantastic. It reminded me of one of his last shows on WFMU where he wished death on a bad caller. Angry Tom is the Best Tom.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I just heard tom say gently caress and I genuinely don't know what world I live in anymore. Will the sun rise tomorrow?

I just randomly put on the Best Show for the first time in, like, two years, and I heard Tom say gently caress and I'm soooo happy.

I scoured through this thread to find the Best Show on WFMU archive, and it's been my life for the last two weeks. Tom was such a dick in the first few years.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I think the show in general has been the best it's been since Tom left WFMU for the last couple of months. I think it struggled to find it's groove when so many of the calls switched from weirdos to fanboys but Tom is just being more weird and candid than ever.

I fell off pretty hard in the post WFMU era, but going back a few episodes since I started up again, it's been drat great.

Is it cool to post the backlog of WFMU episodes here? I've got the link if it's okay.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Yes, please do.

https://mega.nz/#F!IhMUHSbT!bd9x_zzfj2lFfm8_dkvD_A

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I probably laughed way too hard at Julie's pitch to remake Little Shop of Horrors, but Audrey II feeds on Harvey Weinstein's cum. It was so much funnier due to Tom's absolute silence during the whole bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

David Rees (the artisanal pencil sharpener weirdo) was on Doughboys this week, and it reminded me of his Best Show appearance where Nathan Fielder laughed at all of his awful medical afflictions. So goddamn mean and hilarious. Gotta queue that one up sometime soon.