Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Tollymain posted:

I'm going to be stuck in BE class all day :(
Guarantee you it'll happen at 1025. My MSPA-sense will be going off like a fire alarm, and there'll be nothing I can do but wait :smith:

I hope it doesn't happen at 10:25. I have to leave for work by 10:30 on Tuesday, the temptation to risk being late for work would be too great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Midnight Raider posted:

Postal Messiah. :kamina:

Also it's a pun. :rimshot:

I was thinking something more along the lines of Prototyped Messiah personally.

But hoooooly poo poo that flash was amazing. I'm glad it went up before I got up this morning, I got to watch it before I run off to work. Though now I'll be distracted at work. drat.

Anyway, I'm kind of hoping that all the God Tier hoodies get released pretty quick, if only to prevent speculations on who will go God Tier next in the comic based on what designs were released. Plus I really want to see all the other designs too.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Anyone who did not see the Green Sun plan going topsy-turvy months ago is the kind of person I would describe as a sucker.

I was expecting much worse on top of that.

I'm not sure how many people were expecting them to end up creating the Green Sun, though. Personally I thought the bomb wouldn't work, like it would be too small to blow up the whole Green Sun, or maybe Dave would get there just in time to pull Rose away and thus the moon base would drift off in a different direction before exploding.

Hussie seems to be good at doing exactly what we expect, but in a way we never expected.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'm pretty sure being the Hero of Breath is also meant in the metaphysical/spiritual sense, not just physical control of air. In almost all of human history breath has had religious connections to the spirit/life. Jade and Dave have control over physical properties of existence, space and time, and John and Rose have control over the more metaphysical properties, life and fate.

Jade is ridiculously overpowered now compared to everyone else though, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Hussie handles this development.

This is what I was about to say. John's power isn't over wind, it's over 'breath'. The power of breath could manifest as wind, yes, but there can also be much more to it. If it were just over wind, why not call it breeze or something like that?

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

This one, because it is an incredibly funny memo (as all memos are, really!)

I was going to come here and post that one. Many of the different logs and memos make me crack a smile, but this one had me in stitches. I'm also really fond of this page, because I can just imagine Jack being distracted from his killing spree by delicious bones.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
I'm betting that all of the kids will have names that are 11 letters long, with 4 in the first name and 7 in the last. Lalonde and Strider already fit, and Crocker fits too, so I'm thinking J will have a new last name.

Also I can't wait until the kids meet their guardians-as-kids. The antics with all eight of them are bound to be good.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Spellman posted:

Corresponding with the Kernelsprites, of course.

So will the new kernelsprites be the colors John/Rose/etc. all use?

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Zorak posted:

That does seem to be the case and explains a lot. But it also raises a ton of flags. Curious flags.

Also, with regards to the confusion re: "the characteristic glitch", I thought that this was a given to be Cal? What since Cal exists in multiple self-creation loops of indeterminate causation, basically a self-creation infinity loop. Assuming he's dimension hopping like he is time hopping, Cal needs to be in each session in order for his "vessel" to be constructed, no?

I'm thinking the theory about the "the characteristic glitch" being the ecto-biology thing is wrong. I think it's something more broad, like the idea someone else was bouncing around, where the glitch is actually that something exists in the pre-scratch world that couldn't exist without the post-scratch world. For the trolls, that was the ancestors being created in the post-scratch world. For the kids, it could be Cal's journey.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Can you hear that? It's the sound of the horrific creative clockwork you may or may not have put into motion by simply mentioning this concept. The formative machine were never meant to churn in this matter, atomicthumbs! You are upsetting the delicate balance of reality itself and risking the ability of people everywhere to give a poo poo!

Hussie watches. He sees everything.

Hussie is already here?

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Guys, I had a thought today.

So, it's pretty much standard that there is a Time player and a Space player in every session, right? And it's easy to see why a Space player is needed: they have to create the universe by breeding frogs. But it always bugged me that a Time player was a constant. Having cheaty time powers is certainly useful, but I couldn't figure out why it was so vital that it had to be in every session.

Then I realized an important fact: the Beat Mesa is always on the planet of the hero of Time. Always. If the players ever wanted to do a scratch, they would have to have a Time player to do it. At first it sounds pretty useful to have a reset button built in, right? However, we now know that a scratch is what is needed to bring Lord English into the universe, a fact that isn't shared with the players.

I'm getting the feeling that the next big plot twist will be that Every session of sburb is set up to fail specifically so that Lord English will have lots of universes to nom. Every sburb session has a Time player, so they have the means to make a scratch happen. Winning the game isn't actually possible, as the odds are stacked so high against the players that they always end up falling into the same trap that results in Lord English being summoned.

Though I get the feeling that the kids will be able to break this cycle of destruction, and that's what act 6 is actually about.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

QueerPope posted:

That's all very nihilistic, don't you think? That from the dawn of existence, everything has always been set up to fail? Would that make Lord English the original maker of the world in your theory?

I was more thinking that maybe not every planet was destined to play sburb, but all the ones that were set up to play the game were actually set up to fail.

Like, even if one in every ten life-bearing planets played sburb, that would still leave 90% of all livable planets untouched by Lord English. Earth just got unlucky in that retrospect.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
I'm betting that the huge object is going to be one of those flower-pods that opens up when the timer hits zero.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Hopefully, Wandering Vagrant will have another chance in this reality :unsmith:

Maybe PM will end up on the post-scratch planet before they start playing sburb and WV will get prototyped into a kernelsprite.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

:golfclap:

I actually didn't get that joke, what was he talking about there?

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Dolash posted:

Goddamn it, John! You just gave five trolls with nothing to do for three years a bucket, JUST as they're going through adolescence. Dave better throw that thing into the Green Sun if they want even a moment's peace for the next three years.

But oh man, so glad there are Prospitians and Dersites around. Want to see more of those guys for sure. And Davesprite is Dave if he had cause to be existentially angry with John while John struggles to understand, so that'll be a fun way to spend three years. You think maybe they'll have trouble being friends since Davesprite will be acutely aware he's just a 'replacement Dave' for John and Jade, and once the three years are up they'll want to reunite with their 'real Dave'?

See, I think the opposite would happen. John would spend three years getting to know and becoming friends with Davesprite, and then when they all meet up again it'll be hard for him to be friends with Dave again, since he knows Davesprite so much better now.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

blackflare posted:

I just learned to sew a few weeks ago while trying to reproduce a scalemate for a secret santa, so I thought I would share the results. I continued on to make #2 down there, chartreuse mutini. (I had too much leftover green belly fur)

Do you have a pattern you use for the scalemates?

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

blackflare posted:

Yes I use eyes5's scalemate tutorial here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00464295225224468624

Awesome. I'm gonna try my hand at making one, because I'd love to have a scalemate sitting on my shelf.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Lady of the Beech posted:

Speaking of, I wonder what is that giant thing that's taking up most of the space in his inventory. What the heck does he have in there, a planet?

It'll end up being one of those flowers with a timer on it, with Lord English (or something related to him) being in it.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Fandom sure is fast guys.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Slime posted:

Sollux would be so loving jealous.

That or we would get a repeat of the Vriska hearts moment, with alternating red and blue 3s in the <33333333

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Dave has only three years to invent the most transcendentally, soul-crushingly ironic Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff comic that Paradox Space could ever witness. Only then will he be crowned King Strider.

But how will he accomplish it without Davesprite there to help him? :ohdear:

Actually I wonder how different Dave and Davesprite are going to be after three years of hanging out with entirely different people.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Alpha timeline is not paradoxical. Nothing contradicts. The key point is that in a world where time travel exists, something happening because it happened is not paradoxical. Any other outcome is paradoxical.

John had to die in a beta timeline to preserve the integrity of the alpha, because in the alpha the motivation for him not dying was Beta Dave's plea. The beta timeline not being created is paradoxical.

Actually, I think that John died simply because he was in a beta timeline. John dying isn't what hosed up that timeline: Dave prototyping Cal is what hosed it up. If Cal is Calsprite, he can't be used to make Doc Scratch, thus creating a contradiction.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

quote:

uu: BuLLSHIT. I AM BASICALLY THE MASTER OF ALL RED HERRINGS.
uu: THEY SWIM THROuGH MY VEINS. THIS WAY AND THAT.
uu: YOu HAVE TO BE VERY GOOD AT RED HERRINGS. WHEN YOu ARE AS GOOD AT GAMES AS ME.

And that's the point where I started reading all of uu's lines in an Invader Zim voice.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Rooreelooo posted:

My current working theory with uu and UU is that they're the same person, as we're all expecting, but they have two seperate dreamselves. This fits with what we already know - sollux had two dreamselves so it's definitely possible.

What happens when someone with a split personality has two dreamselves? One would be awake when the other is asleep, so while UU is chilling on prospit as her dreamself, uu is inhabiting the shared body. And when he falls asleep, he wakes up on derse and UU takes over the shared body.

It's complicated as gently caress i know, but it would explain how they can be one person but still have two different bodies and blood colours etc - one dreamself has red blood and the other lime

Since we know trolls are genderless, it wouldn't pose too much of an issue for the real body - when inhabited by uu it would identify as male, and with UU it would be female, but the distinction would be entirely meaningless.

This creates more questions than it answers, but the thing i like about homestuck is that you can create any insane theory you want and it has a decent chance of later becoming true (see the 'roxy and dirk are living in the post apocalyptic future' theory)

I like this idea. It'll be a mess when God-Tiers get involved, unless they both happen to Rise at the same time, but it could work and it would be pretty interesting to see.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Dolash posted:

Also sort of neat the clients/servers won't go in the same direction this game.

Ultimately it's still going to be one long chain, going like this:

Jane <--- Dirk <--- Jake <--- Roxy

With Jane completing the circle and getting Roxy in. It's just that they have to hurry, so Jane is getting Roxy in at the same time Jake is getting Dirk in. Presumably Roxy will get Jake in once she's in the medium already (or something terrible will happen and Jake will die or turn evil or something).

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh my god that update was the best. I already had started calling Kankri insufferable and then Porrim says that's his nickname! Wonderful. Seriously that was an all around fantastic update, absolutely packed with content... and it's only halfway done (or even less). I can't wait for Meenah's continued afterlife adventures.

I'm going to try to see if I can get everyone's names straight as well as the titles we've learned.

Feferi Ancestor - Meenah, Thief of Life
Vriska - Aranea, Sylph of Light
Karkat - Kankri, Seer of Blood
Terezi - Latula, Knight of Mind
Kanaya - Porrim, Maid of Space
Nepeta - Meulin
Aradia - Damara
Sollux - Minuta (? I'm not sure that one was right)

Did any others get mentioned? Any mistakes here?

When you talk to Aradia, Meenah says something about Lord English doing something to their time witch, so I think Damara might be the Witch of Time.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Color Printer posted:

Well, the ones like Lovers, Empress, Magician, Death, and Devil are pretty obvious choices. Terezi as Justice is pretty obvious, too (I laughed).

But Gamzee and Kanaya as Strength....what's up with that?

This is a C+P of what one of my friends had to say about it:

quote:

G: i think the tower should have been lord english though
G: and that death should have been the scene where john has all those babies around
G: the tower usually means absolute disaster, the worst card to draw in the deck
G: death is about change
G: or death should have been the scratched mesa
G: because death is 'fresh change'
G: and lol the devil should have been doc scratch rather than jack
G: since the devil is pure temptation
G: and jack just likes to stab things and wants challenge, not tempt everyone to gently caress all the poo poo over

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
No wait guys I got it.

The dream bubble Jack just went into will contain the $10k fantrolls. He's going to stab them and leave.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Dave, Rose, and Jade all look awesome, but there's something about John's that really bugs me. Something about the movements just doesn't seem natural, and it's unsettling.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Actually, I think the Alpha and Beta timelines have to do with stable time loops. Specifically, if anything is done to break a stable time loop (IE when John died before he did the ecto-biology which created all the players), then that timeline becomes a beta timeline. Time players are more aware of these time loops, and it's their job to keep everyone on track so they don't break any time loops.

Also I think paradox space only factors in time loops that are currently 'left open' at any given time. So like, Eridan had to be alive for some time, because he was the one who gave Jade a specific weapon, and he had to be alive to actually do it. But once that was completed he was alright to die without causing a beta timeline, since he had already closed that stable time loop and wasn't involved in any other ones.

I also think that the alpha timeline isn't 100% set in stone. It's more that there's a certain amount of events have to happen, because the results of those events have already been seen in the past, and besides that the players have a little wiggle room to do whatever they need to. That's how Lord English is making himself seemingly immortal: he's opening and closing thousands of time loops, and because of that nobody can kill him without breaking at least one time loop and making a beta timeline. The kids and trolls are going to have to find a moment when he's closed all of his time loops and hasn't opened another one in order to kill him.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Crain posted:

Ok, theory time:

So Hussie/Narrator mentioned that Caliborn can change his text color among other things by activating various monitors on the the tower. Right?

Little fucker is gonna turn them all on.

Get his Cairo Overcoat.

Billiard ball eyes.

And hulk out.

The rainbow of text colors comes from Caliborn deciding that he doesn't want just one color, he wants ALL the colors.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
This is so painful to watch, yet at the same time it is so beautiful because it rings so true.

Jane is a trooper, though. I would have snapped a long time before she did.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

That was indeed FedoraFreak, one of Dad's friends/colleagues/etc. Prior to speaking to Nannasprite, FedoraFreak existed solely on the Serious Business app.

Oh man, I just realized something. If FedoraFreak was on the battlefield, he would have gotten shrunk by Jade when she shrunk all the planets! FedoraFreak could easily be on the battleship right now.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Did anyone else notice that Jake is sparkling in that last page?

I wonder if a nutshot is enough to induce trickster mode.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Color Printer posted:

I thought that was implied with his "Nooooooooooooooo" turning into a rainbow flashing "Yesssssssssss".

For some reason I thought that was Jane yelling that as Jake yelled nooooooooooo.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
Well.

That was fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

Dolash posted:

Gamzee being a good guy and doing all this horrible stuff and enabling Caliborn in becoming Lord English just so he can set him up to defeat him later would be an exceptionally lovely twist.

Probably what bugs me the most is it really pokes at one of the most irritating issues in Homestuck's plot - at what point does predestination run out? Say you're right, Gamzee couldn't just stomp the newborn cherub because Caliborn needs to complete all these time loops and create Lord English. Why do the time loops for Caliborn ever run out? Why doesn't he just keep getting favorable causal outcomes forever, ones that require Gamzee to keep helping him?

The story's use of causality can really rob people of agency, especially if they're aware of what they "have" to do, and if Gamzee were to turn around and help defeat Caliborn after doing everything to help him because now destiny leaves him an opening, it's like nothing he ever did was motivated by his own character. It effectively means he's completely self-aware and is only doing what a pre-written plot requires of him.

But they already have a way to destroy Caliborn/LE. Dirk's denizen is Yaldabaoth, and Aranea's story pretty much outlined just how the choice Yaldabaoth gives can stop LE.