Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

WAR FOOT posted:

so like

lots of speculation i guess

The Mass Effect 3 comparison was spot on tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

GeneX posted:

My immediate reaction, by the way, was "Finally! Homestuck is, at last, an anime."

like all anime it disappointed me

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tunicate posted:

I'm staking my bet that Hussie is screwing with the readership one last time.

I certainly hope so, he's definitely the type to even put that newspost up to gently caress with people.

[S]] Encore, please.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Dolash posted:

What happened to Vriska and the other living characters (Aradia, Davepeta, maybe Sollux) who were fighting Lord English? I didn't see them in the new world, did they not survive fighting LE? Did the icon summon the kids as we expected and they fought him? What happened to the ghosts, did the dream bubbles die when the Green Sun became a black hole and started sucking them in? We don't see any of the sprites in that new world either, did they survive the end of the game? What happened to the consorts from the Beta session, Casey and the like? Why haven't Kanaya and Karkat restarted the Troll race?

When in this grand timeline of a happy ending did John snap everyone over to Caliborn to fight him? How did the Alpha kids get back from there with John sealed in the juju? What did the juju do? If it summoned the Beta kids like we supposed, how did they get back from the Furthest Ring to New Earth? And if they could get back from there why didn't Vriska, Aradia, Davepeta and Sollux come with them? What ended up happening to all the ghosts?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Reene posted:

hahahahahaha

oh man I gotta go see what tumblr has to say about this poo poo

report back

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Classtoise posted:

The problem, at least for me, is that it asked all these questions. WHO CAN STOP LORD ENGLISH? WILL DESTROYING THE GREEN SUN STOP HIM? WHAT CAN BE DONE TO STOP CALIBORN AND THUS LORD ENGLISH? WILL THE JUJU DEFEAT LORD ENGLISH?

And the answer is, apparently, "I dunno"

Like, they introduced him like he mattered. If he was so goddamn inconsequential, WHY introduce him at all? Why go through all this trouble of having a nigh-unkillable immortal killing machine rampaging through the universe and trapping our heroes if the resolution is NOTHING?

It's not that we wanted a story that was completely different from the Creation Myth With Weird Kids, it's that they basically created this huge villain and then decided it never loving mattered and threw it in the dumpster.

From a writing standpoint, he basically just told us that Act 6 might as well have no happened.

Basically all that needed to happen after Cascade was a massive smackdown between the kids, the trolls, PM and Jack Noir, kids dump their battlefield in the recently-vacated pond in the trolls' session, and then end.

Cut LE entirely, cut the Alpha kids, cut the Beforus trolls, cherubs, everything.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

some help from reddit maybe for the people who still dont really get all of it:

We already knew all of that nigh on a year ago.

The LE being fought in the Furthest Ring was LE at the furthest point on his personal timeline that we've ever seen him. There was nothing to say he couldn't be killed outright then and there, beyond his apparent invincibility. He has no plot armour, nor method of resurrection. Just a really high resistance to being killed. Conventionally, at least.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Poison Mushroom posted:

I would give anything to go back in time, and the ending is just

Lord English dies because of an Inappropriate Time For Ham punchline.

I WOULD LOVE TO KILL YOU, VRISKA.

BUT I CAN NOT.

I AM HAM-HANDED. I HAVE HAMS FOR HANDS.

TRULY AN INAPPROPRIATE TIME FOR HAM.

ALAS I AM THE LORD OF TIME, NOT THE LORD OF HAM.

ALAS.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Color Printer posted:

It's open to interpretation at this point, so here's mine: he's loving dead

bisected and half soulfused into a poolball skullhulk probably counts as dead yes.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm going to bed, still hoping this is a psyche.

I cannot believe Hussie would legitimately Xenogears Disc 2 us.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

WAR FOOT posted:

i miss hussie

same.

feels like he's had all the colour and life sucked out of him.

like you know those pictures comparing obama 8 years ago to obama today showing how much more worn and grey he looks? it happened to hussie too.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Freak Futanari posted:

i dug my old scorpio shirt out of the closet and wore it again, after like a year, just for old times sake. i'm gonna go back. i'm gonna go back and rewrite the ending... make a better ending. a real ending. the most powerful fanfic.

scorprio pals :unsmith: i'm wearing mine today too

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The more I think about it, the more I realize that it was impossible for Homestuck to have a satisfying conclusion at this point. Too many characters have been introduced to give them all a real resolution, too many plot threads and subplots to give each one a denouement, and too much background mythology to wrap up.

Hussie wrote himself into a place where his only options were to create another whole act trying to tie up every loose end without boring the reader, or to do the narrative equivalent of "K THNX BYE".

People in this thread have been saying for possibly years now that the immeasurable unfulfilled story fragments would make the comic impossible to end, and they were right.

Not every one of those plot and character threads needed to be tied up in act 7, many could have been done in the run up to Collide, or the six days post-Collide, but they were squandered on disappointing feelgood static images.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm a huge S U C K E R for the sound in Savior of the Dreaming Dead that sounds like a hammer striking anvil.

Same but Crystamanthequins.

I had a huge post I wanted to make about ending interpretations but that conversation seems to have ended and I don't want to reopen old festering wounds clogged with handfuls of horseshit.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I wonder if that's going to factor into the story? A binary choice is presented with two flawed options (meat or candy), and in the end a hypothetical third and better choice is chosen (the healthy diet choice).

I feel like we're going to get Root Double'd

someone photoshop N into Vriska

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Plom Bar posted:

Earth C was doing just fine before Dirk decided he needed to keep being relevant rather than focus on being a good person, and installed Jane as a political leader.

I can't be the only one feeling like the line between Dirk and Hussie himself is more of a dotted suggestion than a hard border at this point?

Earth C's problem was that being outside of canon was causing it to be less "relevant" and spiral off into the realms of fanon or whatever, and Dirk took it upon himself to seize the reins and lead the narrative back into their lives. So too was Homestuck on the verge of dissolving into a bunch of half-canon fan projects and proxy-written works, until Hussie decided... you get the idea.

That combined with Dirk decrying "this isn't MY Homestuck" feels like the true story of HS2 is Hussie proxy-warring with all his deputised writers over the soul of Homestuck using the characters of Homestuck as their champions. Probably not sincerely, mind.

Or maybe it's "Original Era" fans warring with all the post-Hivebent "New Fans" or something, represented by romanticised ideas of their preferred writer/writing cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

GunnerJ posted:

What's the joke/meaning behind the name "Deltritus"?

It's just the Delta to the Alpha and Beta sessions, while also lampshading it being detritus - random garbage. I suppose.