Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Why does LOFAF not seem to have a sky or atmosphere anymore? This whole comic feels like "kids floating in an endless void" now. Not a huge complaint or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Burkion posted:

I assume this is the robot going insane.

If I recall, the witch dies, the robot goes insane, and the wolf just sort of leaves?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I am weirdly okay with this. Mainly because the increase of hiatuses and their lengths over the last couple years (I think the past two summers had virtually no updates!) really wrecked the pace of the thing. I'll be happy when it's back though!!

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
what the fuuuuuuuuck

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
What was Aranea's motivation again? Something like, she wanted to gently caress up the timeline so bad that it would become a beta timeline dead end and everything would just sort of stop?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
It's gonna turn out that Dirk got his 'choice' from Yaldabaoth, and he has to kill John.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Combine this with last night's South Park and you've nailed it

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Since people speculate that John will keep Terezi from healing her eyes, would he even be able to? John's ability can only change things that happened in the comic, but we never actually see Terezi's eyes get healed. It all happens off-screen.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Going back and rereading some pages directly before the gigapause, since I've kind of forgotten what happens. So, theory:

I feel like the comic is going to end with Caliborn's existence as a character continually spiralling into an infinite loop of Act 6 Act 6 Act 6s Act 6. John's ability is to alter the comic itself, so he's bound to anything that actually happens in a shown panel. So therefore, the treasure that he fell into that gave him his power to begin with is Homestuck itself, and Vriska said that the treasure was supposed to be used on him to stop him somehow. So they'll all fall into this Act 6 black hole, but John will manage to break through that somehow in order to actually progress the comic one more page in the right direction.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, I feel like that's exactly what will happen, two pages will eventually feed into each other. I also think it's interesting, since I just read everything up to the reunion, that when you don't take the newest password path, the comic almost sort of immediately 'ends' with Caliborn standing there laughing and then beginning Homosuck by using the Act 6 Act 6 extension cartridge. If this new password locked page is the 'earliest' one to occur in the whole comic by the end of the comic, then it does technically mean that everything going down the non-password path is, essentially, a doomed timeline. And, it's the timeline that Caliborn is trapped in, which is why he took it over and turned it into Homosuck.

What I'm saying, is that Homestuck just made all of its updates between the original reunion and now irrelevant. What a waste of time.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah because eventually this dead, irrelevant timeline will have to be shown and resolved. in the end, the point is going to be that a bunch of the comic is irrelevant, and it will be the part with caliborn stuck in control of it. so really, anything that is act 6 act 6 act 6 is just wasting our time

hussie is loving trolling us, god drat it

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
It's not a waste of time really you're right, because they need to happen in order to complete the overall story. It's going to end up being a story about stories and narrative arcs, so by nature it has to actually end for it to be complete.

Also, consider the star/black hole imagery. The outline of the big star is Homestuck's true narrative arc, with Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 being the part that spirals off into a black hole. That part is Homosuck and it is terrible, but the black hole has to actually happen, probably by becoming a mess of branching paths forever but then eventually becoming an endless loop of two pages. And Homestuck will have to continue and either end at some point, or loop back into itself. Not sure if it really matters which one happens.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I honestly feel like I figured this poo poo out, so I'm going to spoiler tag this

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008178 This is going to be the page where they escape, via the meteor or by some other means, out of Act 6 Act 6 Act 6 and back to the regular timeline. The glitches will clear to reveal this via the flash, and end with the link to the page that shows all of the characters escaping back to the real timeline. John will gather everyone on LOWAS, which is the planet that Jade is targeting, which is evident now that it canonically isn't covered in oil anymore.

The reason why the password is REUNION for this last branch is because it's when everyone hops back into the main storyline. Everyone right now is keeping their yaps shut because John doesn't know this yet.

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 20, 2014

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
But everyone is sitting there being quiet because they're the actual characters after they escaped from Homosuck. There is an overall predestination, and right now in this timeline, the John that we're currently following will eventually become a Past John, while the one standing on the tablet is the 'real' one after having just escaped. They're just posing and being as passive as possible, because THEY'RE the ones who actually can't change any of this timeline while Past John is fooling around

vvv Yes, fine

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 20, 2014

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, you're right, that's the flooded earth. LOWAS doesn't have clouds anyway. I've probably got some of the details wrong anyway

This honestly gets kind of too hard for me to be able to articulate, so here's a choice:

A) I am insane and accidentally thought too much about a webcomic,

B) The Reunion split is one of the central events of the comic, wherein everything down the ==> path is a doomed narrative owned by Caliborn that John and friends all get forced into, but eventually will manage to escape via other branching paths and retcons; and everything down the password path is actually an entirely new timeline that they move to, maybe created by Calliope, with the specific purpose of progressing the narrative independently of Caliborn. I'm thinking maybe the meteor crew DOESN'T have knowledge of what's happening, because narratively, if you read the entire comic but take the password branch at the reunion, none of the characters are SUPPOSED to know anything. John's the only one who gets to have knowledge because of his ability, which is why he's remarking at himself in the parenthetical statements (laughing at himself for being unaware of the retcons to come, and then being embarrassed that his other self just winked). But there's more to be seen, so we'll see!

But I'm gonna put this theory down for a while, since it seems unpopular. Let's come back to it in three years when more plot progression happens.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Who What Now posted:

Dude, calm down. Theory-crafting isn't something to get all worked up overs

Not worked up, more just excited to see if it actually happens this way

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Bobulus posted:

I tease, Assbag, but I do agree with you about one thing: whenever the newly revised narrative does resume, it will probably be at that reunion point.

Reasons:
- Hussie stated we missed out on 'four minutes of footage' when [S] ACT 6 ACT 6 INTERMISSION 1 crashed. So we need to go back and see what we missed.
- By resuming it there, we still keep Evil Jade and Jane a thing, but this could still be alternate Jades and Janes. (After this, none of the Alpha kids interact with Roxy, so it would be easy to change the narrative to her having been dead a while, for example. )

Evil Jade and Jane are pretty suspect. A lot of what happens at the beginning of the act is really questionable, since it's definitely written with John's eventual retcons in mind. Like, how did Roxy already know the contents of the Top Secret folder? Also, the way Rose and Terezi just sort of stroll out of the frame of the comic itself, seems to be a lot more important to the plot than just being an artistic choice. I've got more crackpot theories about these things, but we'll see!

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I actually think there are 32 important Calliopes, because that's how many whistles a typical calliope has, and

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Roxy already knew because she read it in Act 6 Act 5.

Oh yeah, you're right. And I just reread that part last night!

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 21, 2014

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, agreed. Like with Terezi's restored eyesight. Maybe John can 'initiate' these parts of the story by going back to some time around them, and forcing them to happen on-screen. Or something weirder, probably

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
should i post more insane theories, or...?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Zoe posted:

Are sylladexes even a thing anymore, it's more like people just sort of...pick things up, with their hands now. It's weird.

There's actually a badge on their sash thing that lets them pick things up with their hands. Just like there's one for talking to people

Trickster mode is pretty fun when you're not waiting for updates. It doesn't last too long, though the ensuing teen drama lasts forever

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Glazius posted:

I mean, don't get me wrong, it is nice to see Vriska give up the giant smoldering hate-volcano that was her heart, but there was also that ridiculous speech she made about saving people. And... she's still got the cursor, unless its juju went to live in John.

Vriska does say that the Homestuck logo juju will re-activate when it's brought near the original person who used it, who was Caliborn. So, perhaps Vriska will be the one to do the honors.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Cabbit posted:

.. :raise: Come to think of it, isn't Meenah like 18 or 19? Do ghosts age, if they feel like they're getting older? Cause if not, that's kind of creepy.

Well, ghosts DO have to pee, as has been established

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I think the fact that Jade and Jane are the ones visiting Callie has something to do with the fact that they're two characters who never consciously crossed the barrier from Act 6 Act 5 Intermission Whatever into Act 6 Act 6. With A6A6 being the part of the story where things really start to go haywire.

It's also kind of interesting that Callie lives in a sort of spiral-themed world. As if Caliborn's narrative will spiral into itself and eventually become nothing, Callie's will start from nothing and eventually become something as she learns to use her abilities as a Muse of Space. Wonder if Caliborn's last-ditch effort will be to make and give the stage to her somehow as a sort of character redemption, so that at least SOMEONE can write good stories.

Also consider that the last time we really see John before he appears on the 'fixed' LOWAS is when he flies away after telling irrelevant-John to go away. The story of him playing the organ and fixing the planet is told by Jade/Callie, almost like it's bridging an important gap in the story.

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 29, 2014

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I don't think Terezi will be able to really change anything major, like making Vriska not be dead, or killing Gamzee. Overall it'll have to be something really subtle so that Terezi much closer to Game Over will have some realization or idea to help things in a different direction

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I was just looking over that part myself. It seems that the characters fighting over the narrative are Hussie (dead), Doc Scratch (dead), Caliborn, John, and some day Calliope once she starts to believe in herself.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Cabbit posted:

Hussie being dead doesn't seem that crucial, he was interacting with Caliborn through the console long after he'd been killed. Scratch seems to have been completely obliterated, though.

Yeah, Hussie's kind of a weird narrator overall. It is him writing the story no matter what, so probably nothing to overanalyze.

Speaking of overanalyzing, it occurs to me that it's sort of funny that Gamzee so plainly dies in [S] Game Over. I wonder if one of the overall results of John's retcons will actually cause him to NOT die, and sort of retcon him INTO existence. He does need to take care of Caliborn. Gamzee's timeline is kind of weird

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Dolash posted:

Gamzee plays a necessary role in the timeline, in that he did things to make Caliborn happen, so if John wants the timeline to make sense then Gamzee still needs to manage those things.

That gets me thinking though. Right now, John, Roxy and LOWAS are protected from the consequences of John messing around with the timeline because John's disconnected from canon and has stashed Roxy and his planet outside of continuity.

So, why doesn't John just stash all of his friends out of continuity that way? He could just pluck them all from the timeline and they could live together wherever LOWAS is now. That way it doesn't even matter if the Alpha timeline is consistent or makes sense anymore, the actual universe can be allowed to consume itself in unresolvable paradoxes.

I've started to think that John will do exactly that, in that he'll stash characters away, and then somehow shuttle them back into before Act 6 Act 6 started and continue them all to Act 7. Calliope's narrative will pick them all up and continue without Caliborn's influence. I just think it would be a neat direction for the comic to go in anyway

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Are Aradia and Sollux the only characters who have never had a "DEAD." panel? Just sort of curious

JT Jag posted:

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Lord English was sort of unstuck from canon himself. That was his juju originally, wasn't it? He's already here no matter what John does, it'll take a special effort of bullshit to beat him.

I think that the Juju was what originally gave Caliborn his ability to control the narrative in Act 6 Act 6 (and it's interesting that the first shot we see of Caliborn typing into the narrative prompt, is exactly the same as when we first see WV typing into anything). And it's worth mentioning that Lord English can only enter a universe that has actually ended, and the only one we've seen that happen in is the Troll's universe.

English is pretty much definitely unstuck from canon... We've seen him flying through whatever narrative space has all of the Act 6 curtains floating in it. But maybe he can only affect stories that actually have an ending to them.

I don't really know where this will all lead to, more just thinking aloud here

thanks alot assbag fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 15, 2015

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Based on this page, I wonder if the wallet will be used to captchalogue the green sun itself. If it stops being there entirely, and somehow gets retconned from existence, things could get pretty weird.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Interesting that Caliborn has his own spiral area with a stage, while Calliope also has one. He also explicitly says that all this is happening very very far into the future - so I figure it's pretty much the end of everything, after Caliborn has destroyed everything and reduced the narrative to nothing. Caliborn is basically a force of pure destruction, while Calliope represents creation (this is a creation story, after all!). So while Caliborn is basically witnessing his own end, Calliope is busy at work in her own stage, spinning her own stories. I still think she'll eventually be the one to 'mend' the story after Caliborn completely destroys everything.

The spiral imagery plays a lot into this as well... The black hole, the lollipop juju, etc... But I think it's interesting that the spiral on the ground at Caliborn's stage is deep purple. Like Gamzee's associated color.

So, I sort of wonder if Jake will end up creating Calliope's stage? Tonight's update will likely clarify, but it would certainly explain where it came from.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Doubt anyone expected any of this, honestly!

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Containing a small part of Equius would at least explain why he bothered to get so STRONG.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
So wait, did Gamzee pretty much rip out half his own soul to create Lil Cal? When did 'Gamzee creates Cal to haunt Dave' on the timeline? Was it right before Gamzee started speaking differently in pesterchum?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AR didn't get twisted into near-shatters before going into ARQuiussprite, so apparently Dirk didn't angst as long or as hard.

Maybe Dirk isn't in the group because he himself went into the sprite this time

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Those last two kernelsprites could be used on each other to make a black hole, too. That'd be interesting

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I hope this follows Problem Sleuth's footsteps, where the final battle lasted for half the comic.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Just came across this page again. I forgot that AR and the robo-bunny can communicate. Kind of makes things a little weird now.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
This is basically Homestuck's "prayer sequence" like in Earthbound isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Trickster mode is pretty great when rereading. Certainly helps to pick up the pace!