Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading this from the beginning (I had previously read random segments from whatever act where the trolls interact with the kids but didn't know what was going on plot-wise) and was looking at this thread and was surprised to see that it was apparently in the current act 5 years ago?

Either way, I am enjoying this. I'm not a big fan of all the referential humor (a lot of it won't make any sense if someone attempts to read this in 30 years), but the author is extremely good at making characters and giving them convincing voices, and there's some great humor. My favorites parts are easily the various chatlogs. I just finished the act where the Wayward Vagrant takes off on this cylinder ship and there's a flash movie and it is now focusing on Jade for the first time. Speaking of the flash movies, they look cool but I have trouble following what is going on in them and had to look up a description of them afterwards. This might just be because my brain is slow.

I'm guessing most of the dislike for this is because it has crazy fans and has apparently been stalling out for a long time (judging from the 6 month gap since the last update). It still seems better than every other webcomic I've attempted to read, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm guessing that even the regular, non-SBURB Earth in Homestuck is game-ish, what with the capchalogs and stuff?

Also, I want to internet chat with Jade even if she does act like she's on meth constantly. She is so friendly!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder how I came to mix them up? *g*

Ytlaya, don't click any of those links Plom Bar and I just posted; they are also spoilery as heck. In general, don't click links to Homestuck things, it can only end in cosplay or tears, often both.

Unfortunately I've clicked other links before (not the ones you posted yet though), but it didn't seem to spoil much at that point since I didn't know what I was looking at. I'm sure its potential to spoil gets worse as you get further into the plot and encounter more characters, so I'll be avoiding them just in case. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I had already read a few random segments in Act 5 or something, but was clueless about what was going on in the plot and the only thing it really spoiled was the general personalities of some of the trolls (those chatlogs somehow managed to be entertaining even though I didn't know what they were talking about).

edit:
lol, Rose is looking at this map of where all the meteors will land and narrows it down to the two biggest impacts, and says "The biggest by a landslide is, luckily for the Earth you suppose, way out in the middle of the Pacific ocean.", but that impact is so massive it would completely obliterate the planet in real life (and maybe it does in the comic, just thought her statement about it was funny): http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002776

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 15, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This part with the gangsters fighting green guys in a buildings full of clocks is really confusing (not just because I'm not familiar with the characters, but also because I can't figure out the time powers some of the green guys have). I'm assuming this will make sense later or something?

CidGregor posted:

Dang, you're really early in still. Yeah, you've got a looooong long way to go.

Actually you're not far off from the flash Plom Bar mentions, which contains possibly the single most iconic homestuck song.

Well, original homestuck song. We won't get into that other one.

Is it the one where Dave installs Sburb and Rose enters the game? I just saw that not too long ago and am reading the intermission after it now. It was neat and the only thing that confused me at first was when breaking the bottle caused her to enter the game, but then I remembered that the apple is what caused John to enter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the music during the Flash game part where I'm John ([S] ACT 4 ==>).

Also I was actually laughing out loud during the part earlier where Dave is chatting with one of the trolls and ends up making him really upset.

edit: "Jade: Tidy up Strider's apartment a little." and then it shows her dropping his towel in the toilet, hahahahaha

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 15, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Death Bot posted:

I mean I'm like 3/4 through it I guess and it just feels like all the arcane plot elements of homestuck without the characters that I like. It's funny sometimes but I stopped reading it for a bit one time and the already unfollowable comic I had no investment in felt that much more confusing

I tried reading it and had trouble getting into it because my favorite part of Homestuck (so far at least) is the chatlogs and seeing these silly characters talk to one another. I don't think I'd enjoy it a fraction as much if not for those.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha wow, future Dave just appeared and then went back and prototyped himself with present Dave's sprite, wasn't expecting that.

I was expecting that John was being tricked though (not that it was much of a surprise).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Out of curiosity,. when exactly (that is, what point in the comic) did Homestuck become so popular?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, that makes sense. I was mostly curious because I have associated a lot of the fandom with people dressing up as the trolls, and the trolls have a pretty minor part at the point I'm currently at.

Another question - why is Rose's mom (and I guess John's dad also) able to defeat some giant monster? Is there a reason I should be aware of already, or will this be revealed later.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This stuff with the trolls messaging the characters at different points in time is done really well, particularly the stuff with Karkat (the game hasn't given his name yet but I know who he is from the random parts I read before starting from the beginning). The part where Karkat mentions John telling him about humans hatching from eggs as pink larvae and then John using it to troll him the next time they speak was funny.

edit: hahaha wow, Colonol Sassacre adopted John's grandmother apparently

edit2: And John gave the rabbit to baby Rose I guess who then sewed it up and gave it to John as a present, that is neat

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 17, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just to make sure I understand something, the Exile, Medicant, Police-Dude, and Queen all ended up in future Earth due to riding meteors that went through portals and ended up in the future?

edit: And they found all these facilities/devices because they were on the asteroids in the Veil, like the thing John used to create all the paradox clones?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tavros is a good guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The dude with a bunch of horse cocks in his room has some strange fetishes.

edit: I am here right now http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004181

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder why Aradia was still in love with him after ripping out her heart.

Either way it looks like I won't find out for some time since it's focusing on other characters now. Right now Karkat is talking to Vriska after getting stabbed by Jack (and we find out he has red blood, which I'm guessing either means he's really low caste or really high caste, though I kind of doubt the former since he doesn't strike me as the type of guy to hide it out of shame).

edit: This new character that replaces H's with )( is probably the only typing style I've had genuine trouble reading so far.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 18, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vriska is being really mean to Tavros right now and I honestly can't condone this behavior

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004251

edit: Wow, Tavros kind of owns; he can control a whole miniature army of monsters.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 18, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha this Eridan guy is like a troll version of a Nice Guy

The girl introduced at the same time, Feferi, somewhat reminds me of Jade.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

Ytlaya's getting closer and closer to The Dark Times so that'll be interesting

What do you mean by Dark Times? Dramatic stuff happening/taking itself seriously?

edit: Karkat is now doing this memo and poor Tavros feels bad about the thing with Vriska. It seems like Vriska had/has some bizarre crush on Tavros or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kind of weird and not really important question: How does this memo work? If the trolls can see what they/others say in the future, how do they participate in the conversation? Like, if the text is already there how do you write it yourself? Is it because all their future text is hidden or something?

edit Oh nm, Kanaya just explained it some:

CGA: Yeah I Know
CGA: I Wasnt Sure If I Was Going To
CGA: But Then I Noticed A Conversation In Which I Was A Participant
CGA: Which As It Turns Out Is The Conversation Taking Place Now
CGA: I Scanned It Briefly And Then Perused Other Memos For My Presence
CGA: I Found None And Returned To This One
CGA: But My Part Of The Conversation Was Gone
CGA: I Regarded This As A Prompt To Begin Typing And Record My Contributions Live

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just encountered the second [????????] option that has you input a password. Judging from the link's number (9000 something), I'm guessing those are relevant much later and you are linked back to them or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004598

SO LEWD

edit: I get the impression that Vriska is attracted to people who are very kind/"pure" (like John/Tavros) to somehow offset her kind of being a bad person.

So far it is my opinion that Terezi is the best troll

vvvvv Going into it I had previous read a couple short stretches in Act 5 where I got a vague feel for the troll personalities + their names but I didn't know what was going on plot-wise.

I'm basing my opinion on Terezi off of her interactions with Dave and her not being a spaz like most of the other trolls I've seen

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 18, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's weird how on one hand I can easily imagine a sort of distinctive "voice" for all these characters, but also can't imagine an actual, out-loud voice for some of them. Like, I have no clue what the gently caress Karkat would sound like. On the other hand it's easy to imagine what someone like Sollux would sound like.

Also I'm not sure what to make of Rose's change in behavior. The sort of obvious thing would be assume that the demons are misleading her in some way and that her listening to them is ironically somehow related to their Bad End (ironic since she thinks she's doing this due to thinking the Bad End is a result of playing normally). It would be an inversion of the expectation to have their advice actually be good, but even if it turns out that it was good advice it would still make Rose kind of a dumbass for blindly listening to them.

I'm now at another flash game where I'm Karkat walking around talking to people, "[S] Past Karkat: Wake up."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I like Eridan after this conversation: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004705

He may not be a good person, but he is v. funny

edit: hahaha for some reason I knew Dave would like Gamzee

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 18, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did you like Dave from the very beginning? I'm curious because I found him obnoxious as Hell in Act 1 and only slowly warmed to him.

A little obnoxious as a person but fun to read.

I feel like his behavior would come off as more obnoxious if it were an adult or older teen saying these things, but because he's just 13 it becomes funny.

edit: Hm I was just wondering something. The trolls can select when on the kids' timelines to chat with them, but when the kids decide to chat with the trolls how is it determined when the trolls receive their message? Since IIRC their sessions are outside of spacetime or whatever.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 18, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So, question regarding John's conversation with Vriska after prototyping Becquerel: Is Vriska saying that if she hadn't put John to sleep that, even though Becquerel wouldn't have been prototyped, that they would have been doomed to some failed timeline? And that, as a result, her doing that was not only "not evil" but even necessary?

edit: I think Jade is easily my least favorite human, even after Rose became kind of weird. Hard to explain why, but she seems like the sort of person who is really nice to people as long as they're behaving in a way she likes, but doesn't want to understand and/or can't tolerate other behavior. Like, even when the nicer trolls would message her she would be completely unwilling to listen to them, at least for a while.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 19, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The part where Jade falls asleep and sees dead Feferi in her dreams was p. creepy IMO. I like Feferi :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After this conversation between Vriska and Tavro about how Vriska apparently caused all this bad stuff to happen, I get the impression that, while Vriska doesn't have a choice but to do this stuff, her very existence is still at fault for it happening.

Also the conversation between Tavros and Jade was the most cringe-inducing thing. Tavros desperately needs therapy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What is the other blood mixed in with Vriska's here: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005025

Not sure what just happened. Dream Vriska tried to convince Tavros to finish her off, but he couldn't do it. And then there's other blood mixed in? And how did Vriska get hurt in the first place, I don't remember?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hahahaha the image on this page: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005152

Also I get the disconcerting impression that the dream/"regular" people are separate beings and that when John was killed on the dream bed that he was basically totally killed and only his dream self became the god and retained his memories.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Classtoise posted:

It's kind of a minor detail, but spoilers anyway I guess.

It is explicitly shown to be just that. John is dead, his Dream Self lived on.

Then again, if you think of it in a different way "John" is basically the sum of his real and dream selves. So in that sense John continues to live, just with part of his existence being gone.

If both the dream and regular selves could be awake and conscious at the same time, I'd definitely subscribe 100% to the "if your regular/dream self is killed, that separate person is dead" theory, but since that isn't the case it's more uncertain.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jade is gradually becoming much more tolerable. The comic actually kind of directly addressed how she would irrationally flip out when she prototyped her dream self, though I think her dream self in that situation kind of had a really good excuse to go crazy. Actually, her dream self having all these post-dead memories actually kind of strongly supports the "dream and regular selves are separate" theory.

Also, Sollux and Feferi are glubbing about feelings. I like Feferi, she is like a better Jade.

edit: Question - Do they ever clarify what is up with all the different classes? Like apparently Kanaya is a Sylph of Space and Jade is a Witch of Space; is there any difference between those?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 19, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Agreed, it is wrong to like Feferi. Even Hussie admitted she sucked.

Feferi certainly isn't interesting as a character, but she seems like a good person.

As far as trolls go, my current ranking (in terms of some combination of "funny or interesting character" and "cool person") is something like:
Terezi -> Kanaya -> Karkat -> Tavros -> Equius (because he's hilarious) -> Gamzee (also because he's hilarious) -> Vriska -> Eridan (cuz he's hilariously dumb) -> Sollux (not that interesting as a character but I like his way of talking/"accent")

As for the ones I don't find that entertaining, Nepeta isn't very funny or interesting and Feferi, as mentioned, isn't very interesting even if she is a good person. Aradia also doesn't have a very clearly defined personality.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

By the way, if you enjoy reading newbies' reactions to Homestuck, Nora-reads-Homestuck has just encountered Murderstuck.

e: I mean threadmembers. Ytlaya, definitely not for you.

I didn't read any contents aside from the header, but I noticed she says "Hi, I'm Nora, a 2X-year-old who got Homestuck recommended to me because I'm a HUGE fan of tropes and mythology."

How exactly can someone be a fan of "tropes"? Doesn't "tropes" just mean "elements that commonly show up in fiction" or something?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Eridan just went nuts and killed Feferi and Kanaya (and maybe Sollux? but it said KO'd for him so I'm guessing he's still alive).

They don't have dreamselves left, right? I'm more or less okay with Feferi dying, but Kanaya is one of my favorite characters. And he destroyed her orb also =(

Did they really foreshadow this at all, aside from Eridan kind of being a douchebag? I get his duel with Sollux and Feferi attacking him as a result of that, but not his plan to ally himself with Jack.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Plom Bar posted:

They are WAY past that point now.

Yeah, I've seen enough to watch that. It has some cool art/animation, though some of the character art was wonky in parts.

edit: That video reminded me that Vriska already had her god tier before that fight, right? Her god tier lets her siphon away luck or something I'm guessing? That seems kind of ridiculously powerful.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 20, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've resumed reading now. Poor Karkat is freaking out. It's funny how these humorous images are used when characters die, all with their eyes bulging out and what have you.

edit: And now Gamzee seems to have gone insane? I mean he was crazy before but not remotely malicious.

"TC: FROM YOUR VEINS WILL DRIP MY MIRACLES. "

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 21, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So is there a reason Gamzee is all evil now, or is it just because he's a crazy guy? Is it related to those pies he makes out of that goo or whatever?

edit: I'm assuming this is because I'm colorblind, but Tavros's blood just looks normal and red to me

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 21, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gamzee just killed Equius and Nepeta. Saw it coming obviously, though I was hoping Equius would put up some sort of fight since he is strong as heck (though the reason he didn't makes perfect sense).

Now Vriska is talking to John about killing Tavros. This part of the conversation was funny:
EB: you killed other people, that you didn't care about?
AG: Yes. Sort of a lot, actually. 8ut there was a really good reason for that!
EB: hm. how many?
EB: or... do i want to know...
AG: Oh, it doesn't matter. Pro8a8ly many thousands.
EB: uhhhhhhhh.
EB: hopy poo poo...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This conversation between John and Vriska is interesting. I think he did a good job of characterizing Vriska here.

Plom Bar posted:

Consult this handy guide to match trolls to their blood color (and commit Terezi = Teal to memory)

lol the one for Tavros, Karkat, and Aradia all look the exact same color to me (maybe Karkat's looks slightly darker?). This is one of the few times (other than geography classes in elementary school) that I can remember my colorblindness actually causing any confusion.

Apparently they recently created glasses or something that somehow can show red-green colorblind people what normal vision is like, but I imagine that everything must seem garish and tacky as gently caress since we're used to a limited palette.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 21, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This scene with dead-Dave and dead-Tavros/Aradia is interesting and sorta sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

i dont think its spoiling anything to say that is like the tiniest glimpse into the high-speed footage capture of an explosion in a fireworks factory that is vriska serket

theres a reason this thread used to get locked for arguing about her

Really? Her character seems pretty straight-forward to me. She has this idealized image of her head of how she should be a badass but is mentally hosed from what she had to do as a child (feeding all those folks to her lusus) and, on some level, doesn't want to kill people she cares about. This comes to a head with Tavros, whom she lashes out at because he won't object to her behavior (and because she has feelings for him).

What was the main disagreement about?