Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Depends on which Hamelin and how competitive you want to be. You can *easily* have 12 if that’s something you want to do. I wouldn’t paint fewer than six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

You actually get 12 if you get his two main boxes, so I assume he'll need all of them. I'm going to paint them all when/if I get to his keyword.

Between a bunch of mixed ebay lots I've ended up with most of his keyword except the core box (2 rat kings, 2 ratcatchers, 3 winged plagues and 11 rats), I'll get the core box eventually (and recycle the spare rats back to ebay). Actually painting them should be easy enough, but I was secretly hoping that I didnt need to base all these rats. I've predictably decided to try a sewer theme and its kind of a pain.

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin
So there is a cursed objects list right now where someone is hiring Hamelin, Stolen, Nix, 12 Rats, and a lot of upgrades. You basically keep them from scoring anything on hire since the only thing that can hold one are Hamelin and Nix. Also showing the pikmin themed hamelin I've been working on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Painted another 2 malifaux figures;

SiKboy posted:

At the start of the year I painted Bill Algren for the Qi and Gong faction (Malifaux)

then I just hit a wall hobby-wise. Have the rest of his faction on my painting desk, but just cant seem to get paint on the figures. Tried powering through, got a couple of basecoats down... Still no spark for literally a month. So I did what I usually do in that situation, picked something simple out the pile o' shame and got an easy win. In this case the Carrion Effigy.

In the interest of trying to motivate myself to paint the Qi and Gong, does anyone have a painted Hamasaki crew they would like to post a picture of? I'm just not really sure what I want to do with most of them, and a GIS produces limited results.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
This game looks cool as poo poo and there is a monthly group at my LGS, what’s the best entrance point? The OP hasn’t been touched in 12 years so I’m assuming things have changed

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

John Romero posted:

This game looks cool as poo poo and there is a monthly group at my LGS, what’s the best entrance point? The OP hasn’t been touched in 12 years so I’m assuming things have changed
Yell at you local group to get an intro game.
And go here https://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux. You can download the complete rulebook, and read about all the factions and masters.
Choose one that has the coolest and/or most interesting models, and get them. Grab a fate deck and some kind of 30mm circles to use as markers and you're pretty much set.
Sleeves for the character cards and a dry erase marker are also very nice for marking all kinds of stuff on your characters.

The Malifaux Crew Builder app is incredibly useful as well, it has all the cards, the organized play rules, a crew builder, game organizer, and is just great.

Some masters are way more complicated than others, so you might want to avoid those, but it's not a huge deal.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

sick thanks

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Looks like Malifaux is gaining traction locally again, but I haven't played since 2e.

I've read through the new rules and checked out the new cards for what I have, but what's the best way to get physical cards? Go to someplace like Kinkos and print them off, or use the print-on-demand service? $0.50 per card adds up fast and the 5 week lead time is a bit much.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I really like the physical cards but I have just been using the free app mostly because of the space required to lay stuff out. If you can print some out at a kinkos and sleeve them up, they should be fine. If you want to get crafty, you could cut a piece of cereal box to slide between the two sides of the card to make it sturdier.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've been trying to use the app and it's pretty rough with cards not loading in. I've tried all the download options in settings and it still seems to be crapshoot if the card loads.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Turns out having a baby at home is great for painting productivity.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I love those guys.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Gremlins in Silurid costumes?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

They’re wearing the hides of Gibbering Hordes. The presence of the Burning Man has agitated the Hordes and driven them onto the shore of the Bayou, and the Clampetts, the Bayou’s fishing clan, have been catching and cooking them.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

I got the never born starter pack

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Awesome! Are you inclining towards a specific Master/Keyword?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Awesome! Are you inclining towards a specific Master/Keyword?

right now im between dreamer and pandora

i guess i could just buy both tho

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

John Romero posted:

right now im between dreamer and pandora

i guess i could just buy both tho

I started with Kin and Infamous so I'd have a straightforward crew and a scheming crew to learn with.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I started playing this about three months ago. It was an eight person fifty Soulstone round-robin league, one game a week, which I do NOT recommend for learning this game, haha. I think I hurt my brain.

I went 0-7, but got steadily better and almost won a few of my matches. I loved it. Started with Ulix, which I also don’t recommend, but now that I have all the spare piggy upgrades I need for Grow Up Strong I should do a lot better. I rounded out my Sooey/Pig keyword except the Makin’ Bacon box and Squealers, I’m waiting on my FLGS to get them in.

Currently working or Zoraida, Titania, and Leveticus2 Horseman crews now.

I speed painted my starting crew, but now that I have some time and know I wanna keep playing I’m spending a little more time on the models. I sculpted my new Swine-Cursed into RockSteady and BeBop, but its been a decade since I posted pics on SA.

Does everyone still use Imgur for uploading pics and linking here, or is there another uploader or an easier/quicker way now to post photos?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I think you need an account on imgur now, if you don't want your stuff to get deleted. I've seen people recommend https://postimages.org/ too.

Also, we've started a new season of the local league. 10 people this time, which is the most ever, so that's pretty nice.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I dusted off Imgur, all my old photos are still there. Getting used to doing this all on phone, so I’ll just try four pics of BeBop to make sure its all working.

It was fun sculpting him, the pose for the Swine-Cursed was just too perfect. Still a lil rusty from not modeling for a hot minute, but I like the results.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That seemed to work, here is RockSteady:

Here are the Gremlin versions for when they die:

I also made Glowy tokens just for them,

And some stat cards.

The whole gang!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

haha holy poo poo these are incredible, mind if I share them?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Those are amazing, I love everything about them.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

haha holy poo poo these are incredible, mind if I share them?

Share away! I posted them on the Wyrd forums, but there’s not a lot of traffic there.

I am currently working on Rotten Harvest Zoraida, mostly because of the Sanderson Sisters that come in the box. I got them and the Rotten Harvest Will O’ The Wisp/Adze box, so I got a whole Disney witch/street urchin ghost thingy going on.

Already built some steampunk Roombas for Mary Sanderson to fly on, gonna have her on a flight stand. <—-(one of the weirdest sentences I’ve written. I love Malifaux.)

Lastly, I’m working on a hooded rider to scoot Zoraida around, doing him up as the Headless Horseman. I’ll post pics once its all done.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Got distracted, modeled and painted up Hinamatsu and Widow Weaver. Painting elaborate gowns and dresses is a hoot!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Reubenesque Sandwich posted:

Got distracted, modeled and painted up Hinamatsu and Widow Weaver. Painting elaborate gowns and dresses is a hoot!

The basing on these is great! Have to disagree with painting the elaborate gowns being a hoot though, Hinamatsu (and assorted other members of the Qi and Gong keyword) have been sat on my painting desk as a roadblock for... I think actually 7 months now...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from the painting thread.

SiKboy posted:

This week I did some Malifaux Mindless Zombies as a straightforward low stakes paint job.

Been a while since I did any malifaux, these ones were nice to ease back into it a bit. Not much fiddly detail, but still a lot of character. Like the boy pulling himself along on his guts and the big lad, less keen on the one with the arrows sticking in her because the arrow through the torso reminds me very much of those jokeshop "arrow through the head" things which always looked lame. Plus, who in the game even uses a bow and arrow?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Plus, who in the game even uses a bow and arrow?
Now I'm having traumatic flashbacks to assembling Ten Thunders Archers.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Cooper2 seems like the kind of guy who can't wait to tell you all about his awesome bow.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Ulix has a bow, but can’t use it till he is Ulix2. Was a pain to assemble, and hurt more to learn its cosmetic.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I have to say, no game has inspired me towards vague competence in my painting as much as Malifaux. I only got into it in august, and the combination of being able to purchase crews at a reasonable price with an easily understood box/SKU system, the cool mechanics, and the mostly brilliant minis has made it really rewarding. It's only kitchen table gaming for me and my gf but both of us have really enjoyed the hobby aspect.

As I speak I have my freshly painted Kirai crew looking actually quite acceptable for tabletop standard, and my gf is undercoating the very cool day of the dead Lady Justice variant minis.

I was always put off by the old metal models, the sheer number of blister packs, and the use of renders instead of photos - but I think this is by some distance my favourite game for casual hobby gaming now. The game itself is also A Fun Time, albeit with slightly too much of a reliance on endless markers and tokens. The fact that it's good enough to be a popular competitive game is just the cherry on top for me, I'm just hugely impressed with every aspect of the game.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

It’s a great game! It got me heavily back into miniature painting when I picked it back up.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Thirsty Dog posted:

I have to say, no game has inspired me towards vague competence in my painting as much as Malifaux. I only got into it in august, and the combination of being able to purchase crews at a reasonable price with an easily understood box/SKU system, the cool mechanics, and the mostly brilliant minis has made it really rewarding. It's only kitchen table gaming for me and my gf but both of us have really enjoyed the hobby aspect.

As I speak I have my freshly painted Kirai crew looking actually quite acceptable for tabletop standard, and my gf is undercoating the very cool day of the dead Lady Justice variant minis.

I was always put off by the old metal models, the sheer number of blister packs, and the use of renders instead of photos - but I think this is by some distance my favourite game for casual hobby gaming now. The game itself is also A Fun Time, albeit with slightly too much of a reliance on endless markers and tokens. The fact that it's good enough to be a popular competitive game is just the cherry on top for me, I'm just hugely impressed with every aspect of the game.

Post pictures of your painted figures!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cross post from mini painting thread

SiKboy posted:

Some Malifaux Raptors. Recently got an airbrush, so tried to lay down the base coats on these with it. Thought I did okay at the time, but in the cold light of day not so much, redid the brown with a brush, a bit of drybrushing later and I'm at least okay with them. Remembered the old wisdom "If the model kind of sucks, go absolute ham on the base as a distraction". I need more practise with the airbrush, get a better feel for it.

These get added to a crew I painted about 2 years ago, and I was super glad I'd written down the exact recipe I was using for the bases so they (near as dammit) match.

Crew in question;

The raptors were an easy build (although I was constantly worried I was going to get a claw snagged on something and break off a foot) but I have the same complaint that I had about the Iron Skeeters and Titania (the only other malifaux figures I've painted that came with flight stands); Theres nowhere on the model for the flight stand to actually attach. The top of the flight stand is flat, the entire underside of the figure is curved, would it kill them to have a tiny flat rectangle (or indented, I'm not fussy) in an appropriate place to give a good connection point? I've pinned them to the stands with brass rod, but a) drilling the flight stand was a pain in the rear end, its not that much wider than the pins I'm using, and b) you can see some of the rod inside the clear plastic which annoys me. And even with the pin I'm mentally flagging these as "under no circumstances lift by the figure, touch the sides of the base only".

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
The Empyrean Eagles has the same crappy flight stand system, and I hate it. It feels like they chose the worst of all possible solutions. I'd prefer if they were attached to something, doesn't matter if if a bush, a tree, or a gremlin that it's hunting.

I've been painting a bit of Malifaux, but Lohith and the Soulstone Gamin broke me. They're just so incredibly boring to paint IMO, so I completely lost the will to finish Lohith. It doesn't help that a lot of the Witness models are just kind of standing around looking serious. I really should get to it, just so I can get to the great sculpts of the Dabblers.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new models that'll be coming out! There are some serious bangers in there!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

They're just so incredibly boring to paint IMO, so I completely lost the will to finish Lohith.
Just airbrush a few colored metallics (even if they're silver mixed with color paint) onto them, then paint parts of the bodies sunken in the metal, done, move on. The good thing with boring models is they're also easier to power through.

Also you can attach acrylic sticks using plastic cement in any place you want, mask them with PVA glue, also forced tactical garbage holding up flying models is cancer.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Not for me, I'm much more inclined to just do something else when I hit a model that I hate. And It just sounds like we're at the opposite ends of the flight stand spectrum.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I'm with you on the models you just arent feeling, they tend to sit on my painting desk for a while, and put me off painting instead of either powering through them or (the more sensible option tbh) just putting them back in the pile of shame and picking out something that speaks to me in the moment instead. I've still got most of a Hamasaki crew sitting on my desk where they've been for about a year, but in their case its the opposite problem; It feels like they need to be elaborate to look good, and I'm not sure I'm up to it. I can give myself a pass on freehanding anything on the kimonos but I'm not conficent on painting geisha makeup that doesnt look like a troupe of clowns.

I'm sort of agnostic on flight stands vs integral scenery for flying models. Dont love when integrated basing elements clash with the rest of the crews basing. For example my Molly crew are based on cobblestones, but has some metal 1e night terrors who are clinging to eroded natural looking rock columns, so theyve had a grassy base because it would look stupid if there was a random rock in the middle of the cobbled street. If I had the 2e/3e plastics then the gothic ruins would at least fit in a city base theme (but someone who based molly on grassy scrubland wouldnt be so happy). But if it matches my bases, or is generic enough to not stand out, I like it fine. But I'm also fine with flight stands, provided the designer remembered that these are figures that need to fit on a flight stand. The Malifaux flight stand is actually pretty good, you wouldnt need the hole the size of the giant peg on the old style GW fight stands! But there needs to be a flat bit (or better yet, a slight indent the same size as the top of the flight stand) for it to match to. You can glue it to a curved surface but the actual contact area between a curve and a flat is so much less than a flat to flat join that you will always have a massive weak point there. You can also file a flat point but a) I shouldnt need to, and b) something like those Raptors, good luck filing a flat point anywhere that makes sense to put the flight stand on that middle one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SiKboy posted:

For example my Molly crew are based on cobblestones, but has some metal 1e night terrors who are clinging to eroded natural looking rock columns, so they've had a grassy base because it would look stupid if there was a random rock in the middle of the cobbled street.
I have those models and I think a waystone next to a cobbled road would be a perfect fit for that scheme.

Do post yours though, I really like what you did on (under) the raptors.