Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TraderStav posted:

I am new to android so be kind if I'm just lovely at figuring it out but what is a good and solid alarm app that has snooze? What about a reminder app that I can also snooze. Both would need repeat functions so one could likely solve both needs.

Thanks!
I'm a big fan of Sleep as Android I'm not sure how well the sleep tracking thing really works, but aside from that its a solid alarm clock with a lot of great features you didn't know you needed.
-It can do separate alarms for every day of the week. All easily toggleable on/off as well
-You can fully customize the snooze duration, including having it half the duration each time
-You can set a snooze limit, which if you are like me stops you from hitting snooze for an hour and sleeping in.
-Optional CAPTCHA to stop the alarm, as simple as doing basic math, or as complicated as forcing you to walk into another room and scan a QR code.

I'm a really heavy sleeper, so the configurable snooze limit and captcha are really awesome to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice trustworthy budgeting app?
Level Money
If your bank isn't listed they just added an opt in beta on their website that adds loads of new banks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

If I want to use NFC at Walgreens or something, do I have to do anything at the point of sale on my phone other than already have Wallet installed and linked to a card?
I think the money has to be in your wallet account not just available on a linked card. I might be wrong, no one knows for sure because no one actually accepts NFC payment.

EDIT: I was mixing it up with the physical google wallet card, correct answer 2 posts below.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 20, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I feel like elaborating on why I like Level Money. YNAB, Mint, and Check, are all good options for people that want to micro manage their budget. I don't need a hundred different spending budgets, some months I spend 0 dollars on eating out but buy a hundred in video games, other months I don't buy any video games but spend a hundred eating out. The level of managment those apps want you to do just didn't work for me.
Level is much simpler, you add in your income, your bills, and a savings goal, and in my case a few unavoidable expenses like gas, then all it does it tell you how much you have left to spend.
The best part is that it breaks down how much you have left to spend for the month, week, and day, and it tells you all this on one easy to read screen. It's really easy to look at it and see that I have $15 left to spend for today, but maybe I want to buy that 30 dollar video game? No biggies just bring a lunch to work tomorrow.

To me level just makes it a lot easier. I feel like other budget apps try to tell you how to spend your money whereas level is just really really good and telling you how much money you have to spend.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

FYI, that's easy to do with budget categorization programs. Categorize your must-have expenses and then have a category for blow money.
Yes, but then you are left with a bunch of features you don't use and a bloated interface.
I use level daily and rarely have to look at more than one screen or tap any action other than the app icon. Its not as robust as other budget apps but it's really good at what it does.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I'm looking for a super simple battery widget. Like just a line going across my screen or something extremely simple.

I have beautiful widgets, and use Nova launcher and lumos. I have a bare minimum home screen with just a clock, and the notification bar is hidden.

Any recommendations?
Zooper widget.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I like being able to say ok Google in the home screen and have it activate. If I could make that happen on another launcher like Themer I'd be happy. That's ok though. No big deal.
You can.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tunga posted:

This isn't true, only GNL can do that.
Unless I am misunderstanding something, Nova does it just fine for me.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Thank -Anders for the Aviate invite. After spending some time with it I have some very mixed feelings. I really enjoy the layout, things looks really clean and the cards are all sharp and informative. The app categorization is very convienent, and I like the idea of it providing me with information when and where I need it.
However, its got some major issues. I'm at home right now and for some reason its stuck on the places tab for a restaurant about half a mile away. Its also annoying that you can't get rid of the pre-built widgets it offers, some of them I have no need for. I would also like for some customization. You can change icons at all, and it forces your widgets into really awkward uniform sizes.

Its got potential, but it also has a lot of issues. I am considering this Zooper Theme now, or at least trying to recreate it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The thing I don't understand is that when I pull up the location finder, it pretty accurately puts me at the house next door to my own, yet its still insisting on using the home screen for the burger place 1/2 a mile away.
Its not like its an issue of inaccurate GPS, the launcher just doesn't give a gently caress. It sucks because I really like the general idea behind it, and the aesthetic is overall very good.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

This isn't quite an app question bit I don't know where else to ask it.
I have a second gmail account forwarded to my main one, then it gets labeled and filtered separate from the main mail. Is there a way I can make this label display in a tab as a part of the main inbox the way the auto generated promotions and social labels do? I don't like how its in this folder tucked away farther down the list than spam.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's a multi tasking tool. Now you can open a link bubble from Facebook or twitter and let it load in the background without taking you out of the app.

Just buy it. You won't realize how much you need it until you start using it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The only problem is that my phone is too terrible to really smoothly use it.
This seems like an odd complaint, I would think the app would get better the worse your phone is because its saving you even more time.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Just use a lock screen, why is this that hard?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why couldn't it be a misbehaving app turning your screen on? One of 2 things is happening, that or your pants are hitting the lock button.

Just use a lockscreen.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Because it never happens when it's just sitting on a desk.

I hate having a lock screen on at home, but I'll try it for a week and see what happens.
Well then its probably the lock button.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Its a shame they didn't also learn that they completely hosed up the news feed, the friends list, the search function, and almost every other feature of facebook.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

sirbeefalot posted:

There's gotta be a bunch of the backend stuff in there already, as my Hangouts extension will ring on my desktop when someone calls me (Sprint/GVoice integration in my case)

In day to day use I never even touch GVoice itself, as my voicemails are displayed in the dialer and texts are through Hangouts already, so I guess just loving come on and get the rest of the guts integrated already. I think the one thing I'm missing is being able to send SMS from any Hangouts client, not just the one on my phone (which I assume full integration would change).
What dialer and carrier? It drives me crazy on my moto x that I have to use this lovely ATT app that looks like garbage and navigates poorly just to get voicemail.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Has "OK Google" always worked to wake up the Moto X or is that new and I just now noticed it? To be clear, I'm of course aware of the always-listening features of the Moto X, but hasn't it always been "OK Google Now"?
I've had spotty results with my Moto X. "OK Google Now" always works and "OK Google" just kinda works when it feels like it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In addition to what Wadjamaloo said, you can train the Moto X to respond to OK Google. Unfortunately it doesn't work with any other phrases.
I did that and had even spottier results.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Not sure if this should go here or in the show of your homescreen thread.
There is a new launcher in town that is doing things that blow all the others out of the water, Lightning Launcher eXtreme. Listing everything it does here would be impossible, but its definitely a super user launcher, its the tasker of launchers. Getting it set up and tweaking it is not exactly user friendly, but man is it powerful.
Some key things to me that really stand out.
-Infinitely customize-able. Everything, every detail of your homescreen, folders, and even the app drawer can be fully configured.
-Fast. Its really responsive, ever with a bunch of widgets and panels going.
-Panels. Its got these unique panels that are sort of like a homescreen within a homescreen, what popup widget wishes it were.
--The panels can be configured to be zoomable or scroll-able independently of the rest of the screen.
-Load themes through apk's. The themse aren't plug and play like themer and will require a bit of tweaking to get everything working after you load it.
-Multiple desktops. You can configure several different desktops and switch between them, even set them up to switch automatically based on tasker profiles.
-Freely place any item. You don't have to snap things to grid, and you can even overlap widgets and app icons if you want to.

Even the minimal guys would like it since you could start with a minimal homescreen and then have hidden panels you can swipe in from the sides to access widgets and apps.
This theme really shows the power of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VPg59Rh7Cc

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 10, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Seriously. That launcher looks busy/unnecessary as hell. I guess that is XXtremeXX but still.
It doesn't have to be though, I was just using that to show off what it is capable of. I will admit that guys sense of taste is pretty awful.
You can go extremely minimal too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CL39ZMuOuo
For people that like to fiddle, its pretty awesome.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it allows you to place items freely without snapping them to a grid if you want. You can even overlap app icons and widgets. This is something I see a lot of people asking about here.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 10, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is there a way to customize the notification bar without rooting? I want to get ride of the at&t badge, battery icon, and clock

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

This is my one regret from getting an AT&T Moto X.

I don't think about it usually, but when I do it just infuriates me. I know I'm loving using AT&T, thanks for collapsing my notifications to tell me again.
Yes that's my issue. 99% of the time I don't notice, but when I do its all I notice.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mine doesn't slide off.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

How do I stop google calendar from sending me email reminders for every event? I checked all of the settings in the calendar apps I have installed and nothing is set up to do that. The emails say to log into the browser version of calendars to disable them, but I don't see anything about email reminders there.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The per event emails are off and its set to default that way. This is some global thing.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I used to use Gentle Alarm, but I recently switched to Sleep As Android. What you do is sit your phone on your bed and it uses the accelerometer and microphone to figure out where in your sleep cycle you are (it also does sleep analytics if you're into that). If you're in light sleep within 30 minutes prior to your alarm (or if the alarm time hits first), it wakes you.
This what I use. I feel like the sleep cycle tracking is a gimmic, I definitely don't notice waking up easier. What I do like about the alarm is just how customize able it is. Its very easy to set up recurring alarms only on certain days, but it has a lot of really cool features.
-Customize able snooze duration, including a duration that gets shorter each time you press it.
Customize able snooze limit, either based on elapsed time, or number of snoozes. Once you reach it, it won't let you snooze any more.
-Tons of different optional captcha's for turning the alarm off. Anywhere from pattern recognition to forcing you to get out of bed and scan a QR code in your bathroom.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If you mean what I think you mean, try calc u. It's like the stock one but with a few extra features.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My moto x just updated to 4.4.4, at&t still doesn't drop off the notification bar. gently caress at&t.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Finally. Thanks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I don't use timely so maybe I don't know what a pretty alarm is, but couldn't you just set 2 alarms?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about the pre-alarm.

I wonder if there's a market for something like celebrity sat nav voices, only with them telling you to wake up, in a really grating way. Choose your least favourite people! Do whatever it takes to shut them the hell up!
Everyone would just use Gilbert Godfrey.

Can you guys explain how you are using a pretty alarm? I hit snooze for an hour every morning and you have me intrigued.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone use those alarm apps that force you to complete a puzzle or do a stupid dance move in order to turn them off? Are your lives better for it?
I do and its kept me from oversleeping a lot.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What interval are you guys setting your pre-alarm to? I haven't noticed mine doing much of anything.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

A free spotify account has almost 0 limitations. On PC you are able to do whatever. On mobile you can only listen on shuffle and have to hear an occasional ad.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

How do you wish list things on the new app store?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

grilldos posted:

If you're looking at a card of a thing, hit the three dots and press "Add to wishlist." If you're looking at a thing's page, the "Add to wishlist" icon is to the right of the thing's title near the top.

No idea what card means, 3 dots only gets me auto update.

Oh wait, I found a bug. I tried install an app I didn't have space for, the app didn't install and the page now permanently thinks its installed so there is no wish list button.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 27, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I lost internet connection while one of my amazon store apps was updating and now the update is hung. Even worse is that I get a notification telling me to update the app every day. Is there a way to force refresh this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

It has that. When there's a "cook for 10 minutes" you can click the "10" and it'll set a timer on your wear device.
I really love these kinds of simple automation and integration. Sure you could just open up the timer app on your phone and set one manually, but lets face it, this is 2014 so you won't and now your cookies will burn.

• Locked thread