Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Saw this article and remembered people mentioning Nokia maps here before. Apparently its html5 based web app, but it still does offline maps. I've not tried it yet.
http://m.maps.nokia.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

TheJoker138 posted:

He's getting the same problem with Go SMS. Does anyone in here know why his stock messaging is freezing every time he tries to use it, even after clearing data and cache? If not I'll pop over to the general Android thread. He's using stock, unrooted Droid 2.

How many messages does he have? I can't remember if clearing data/cache clears the messages. If you have too many it really slows down. If i remember right, the magic number is around 200 responses per thread.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

900ftjesus posted:

Google+ finally has Google Apps support, awesome right? Except the Android app didn't get the memo. So close.

I've been soo confused about this. I would assume Google Apps people would get updates FIRST, since you know, they pay for the service. why does google leave Google Apps users behind on soo many of the new toys?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

rotaryfun posted:

Speaking of the amazon store. I'm really tired of getting notifications that I have new things to install. Anyone know of a way to disable that?

I've started to get this about updates within the past week or so.

I'm about to uninstall the loving thing.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, backup and uninstall the Amazon App Market app, re-install when needed. Freeze it if you have a paid version of Titanium Backup. :v:

The only time I think you ever need it is when you actually want to download something from Amazon, the rest of the time the website will meet my needs better even on a phone browser.

Some applications use DRM that requires you to have amazon app market installed.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Sereri posted:

Same here, I haven't had a LP related crash in probably a year and it does everything I want it to.

LP+ crashes on every reboot for me. Once I force close it, its good until the next reboot.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Geekner posted:

Are there any good replacements for the Sense calendar widget? Specifically the agenda view.

It sucks that you can't use sense widgets without the sense launcher.

Pure Grid Agenda? I really like Pure Grid Calendar. It sucks that its 2 apps (@ $2 each) though.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Syrinxx posted:

Should I get ADW Launcher while it's 10 cents if I am generally happy with LPP? Does it have significant differences in features or anything?

I use LPP 100%, but I bought ADW EX just incase I get tired of LPP. for 10c, whats the worst that could happen.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've been able to make purchases again on android market. I was having issues all morning trying to get the 10c apps.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Some of you might be interested in knowing the Miui lock screen made it to market.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I bought Touchdown through the amazon market for half price, 10$. I've been buying every 10c app that I have gotten through amazon. I want to remove that god drat market soo bad, but not 20$ bad to get touchdown again :sigh:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good non-Gmail mail client for Android? I need something that can deal with unconventional server setups, because my university's mailer system is kind of weird. Non-standard login names and such should be a possibility.

touchdown is the most popular. It has a 30 day trial to test before blowing a wad of cash, I believe.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What's the best media player for a CM7 Touchpad? I don't care about streaming so much as just playing local files, like on a plane.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Penguissimo posted:

Video or audio? For audio, PowerAMP is popular, although apparently the interface is worse than AIDS or something? For video, MoboPlayer seems popular.

:hurr:
I was meaning video. Thanks.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
CM Settings > Sound > Quiet Hours
there is a dim led..

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So, I've got an HP touchpad running CM7. Does it help to grab any of the apps that are built for ARM7, etc? The Touchpad has the snapdragon, but to run ubuntu, it looks like you run the ARM compiled versions. Does that mean that one of the video players with ARM7 would run better? (example)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Found a cool app;
Tablet Remote. Install on your android phone and android tablet, use your phone as a remote for the tablet via bluetooth.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Gmail for email I care about, and I like it.. Touchdown for work email, and I don't like it much. Navigating to/from the homescreen/functions is irritating. Often times it just closes when I hit back, but sometimes it goes back to the first screen. But, the default client doesn't do the encryption thats required.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Have you tried "SMS Popup"? It's just the pop up with quick reply and nothing else.

I switched from handsent to SMS popup some time back for the same reason. It is worth it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

XIII posted:

I just want them to finally suck it up and let people delete words from the stock dictionary.

This. I do not know a 'Jadon', but every time I swype Jason it comes up as the default word. It pisses me off, as I talk to/about Jason a lot. Otherwise, I love swype.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I bought TouchDown for $10 on Amazon so I'm stuck. It's $20 on Play. I have been watching, hoping for a sale. But so far no dice.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Odette posted:

I'm interested in the Android ecosystem, and my long term goals are to eventually be in a position where I can actively contribute to AOSP/CyanogenMod or something like that.

Obviously I can't just jump in and make a mess of things so to begin with, I thought I'd start with learning how to code Android applications.

I would like my knowledge to be based on pretty solid foundations, so does anyone know any good resources to get me started with learning to program in Java and/or Android?

Please note that I am deaf so Youtube/video/audio tutorials are of no use to me.

Your help would be much appreciated. :)

Take a look at The Cavern of COBOL > I Like Robot Sex - Android Development Megathread

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
So, just put ICS on my G2 (rooted).. is there a way to NOT get an icon on my home screen for every loving app that's pulling. I hate the iphone aesthetic.

Nvm.. Found it. 'Auto-add widgets' within the play store settings. What a dumb default.

deong fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 20, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Also.. that default cyantone ringer. My phone speaker cannot drop enough for da dubs. It seems the defaults for CM9 are getting odd, from that Cid thing, to the ring tones.. not sure what'll be next.

Thermopyle posted:

But yeah, using "widget" was dumb.

Yea, this threw me off. But I've got a drat app drawer..

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Hey Thermopyle,
I've not been reading your beta change logs for woofi, so apologies if its been done, but can you tie into the ICS profiles with woofi, so that when I connect to my work network, it automagicaly jumps into my silent work profile? Or would this be something outside of the scope of woofi and be more of a tasker kind of function?

Either way, it seems that woofi works just as well with CM7 as with CM9, so thanks for programming it correctly to start heh. The only thing that I've seen is that it does not remember profiles that were restored via TitaniumBackup. Very minor issue, but figured i'd mention it. It will let me have multiple profiles with the same name of my home network, so it doesn't cause any problem. I just have to hit remember once more.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Sorry, I know its been asked but what is the favorite password vault for android?
I use Linux at home, so a good linux app is a must. I'd be only using it for web, and it seems all the big names support chrome/ie/firefox, so I don't suspect there are any OS issues. But I figure its worth mentioning.

I'm thinking either LastPass or KeyPass would be best?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

bull3964 posted:

Google can't be arsed to make tablet versions of their own apps for their own platforms (Google+ I'm looking at you.)

No easily accessible built in back up and restore function to make switching phones painless.

No built in way to remote wipe your phone from your Google account.

It would be nice if wipe was tied right into either google play store or the area under google accounts that lets you delete your google account.

The backup, I thought it was more an issue with developers than google? It could be much better, but doesn't google give an easy api for the devs to integrate cloud storage for saves etc?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Just picked up the Galaxy Nexus. I'm coming from CM7, and I'm wanting to try stock for a bit before jumping on CM9. The first thing that I've noticed so far is the dialer from cm7.2 is much better. Can it be installed on stock ICS?

Also, other than lightflow, are there any other apps I should be looking at to enhance my phone?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You have to get the Swype Beta which is different than regular Swype, which means you need to go to beta.swype.com on your phone browser and download the installer which downloads the beta. Argh.

I just installed from the beta.swype.com on Monday night. I'm not seeing an update though. I'm on v3.26.92D39125.t0.11357.ENSP. Wtf.. that's the version number.. Did I grab the wrong installer?

edit: nm, looks like I missed the beta installer and just had the standard.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What's the version number of this hot new Swype? I updated through the app just now but it seems the same.
v1.0.3.5809

deong fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 20, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there an option somewhere that 'yes, I'm a f*cking adult' that we can check :p. I like to cuss :(.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Speaking of.. Have any of the censors been to a middle school lately? There is nothing on tv/games/music/etc that can top them little fuckers.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I feel like I have this scope... but my google-full is borked. Or did I miss some one posting the link? This isn't social scope right?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I know it won't happen, but with the 'death' of mobile flash I hope to see restaurants with easy to read non-flash web menus. And not just a PDF of the loving thing either drat it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Finally got my JB update on the gnex :woop:

Has anyone compared Google Sound Search (I only notice it from a widget) compared to SoundHound and Shazam? What's the best music finding app out there?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Alarbus posted:

I bought Pure Grid Calendar Widget some time back, and it works pretty well. It has different sizes, new event shortcuts and customizable. Looks like it's $1.79

I've been using this for the longest time now. I haven't really found anything that I like more. The big thing that it does, that others don't, is the time lines. It has little bars to indicate how long events are on any given day. Makes it easy to guesstimate availability.
This one.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Manky posted:

Speaking of ringtones, bow howdy the CyanogenMod ringtone is awful. It scared the hell out of me this morning when my phone rang (a rare enough event to be surprising by itself) and I wasn't quite awake and all I could hear was a loud, rough whisper. Followed by terrible techno. I've had better nightmares.

I was thinking the same thing. WTF has been up with the CM media choices. Between the default sounds and the new CID mascot... bleh. At least its all easy to fix issues and the ROM isn't suffering.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Check the thread : The Cavern of COBOL > My Code is Fragmented - Android Development Megathread

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
If I do a factory reset, will that clear my encrypted drive on the galaxy nexus? I set up my 'email' application for my work email and it forced encryption.. But then it doesn't even sync all the folders that I need.

So I'm wanting to decrypt, and just use touchdown. The only way I'm seeing to do this is by wiping the data off the drive. Will factory reset take care of it, or do I need to do something else as well?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Thermopyle, what is the best version of woofi to install?

Is the message to Vykk.Draygo about the alpha from G+? I'm just running the market version with the unlocker right now and it seems to be flakey for me.

GSM Gnex stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I think you'll be stuck taking a screen shot, from either you computer or from the phone itself.

They let you export to image? Hmm.

• Locked thread