Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Have any of you tried either of the thermostat applications? I have Westar and their fancy internet thermostat so I'm going to try this later:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mktgdept.thermostat

I guess there's also this one for the WiFi thermostats:
https://market.android.com/details?id=RadioThermostat.com

I'm grabbing the $99 thermostat at Home Depot in about a week, and will be using the 2nd app you linked so i should know around then.

Thirding+whatever the TV Show Favs. I did the calendar method before too, but it just wasn't that useful when a show had an off week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I fail to see the benefit of getting anything from the Amazon Appstore if it's available in the Market at the same price. The only apps I've gotten from Amazon are their freebies of the day, otherwise I don't see the point. There's the potential for issues like this and I find apps are usually updated in the Market before Amazon.

I agree at the same price, but a great example for how Amazon is good is the Remote Desktop app. The one I liked was normally $24.99 or something, and I got it around 50% off.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I tried Googling this and didn't really find anything:

Is there any way when doing/restoring a TitaniumBackup, that it restores the App/Data to the original location that it was done? Example: I have an App stored to the SD card. When I restore it, it's restored back to the SD card instead of internal memory.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Several apps are currently showing up $0.10 (10 cents) in the Market, including Minecraft.

Current list:
Great Little War Game
SketchBook Mobile
Paper Camera
Sound Hound
Asphalt 6
Fieldrunners HD
Swiftkey
Minecraft
Endomondo Sports Tracker Pro

Link including links to market pages:
http://www.androidcentral.com/slew-popular-apps-suddenly-are-10-cents-android-market

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

I need something better than the google reader app, preferably one that isn't overloaded with sharing crap, has a decent UI and isn't as horribly slow as GR often is.

The official app kept crashing on me, so I tried out gReader Pro and it seems like a pretty good app. I was actually about to buy it a long time ago, but Google released their Official app that day so I didn't at that time.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Skeezy posted:

You should go ahead and just get Plume. That's what I went back to after the initial shine of the new Twitter went away. They just released version 2.80 and here's the changelog for that again:

• Add TweetMarker support to save/restore your reading position across multiple devices (off by default)

That was enough for me to try it out for about 5 minutes and decide to buy it. I've been waiting for that feature to be released ever since I got my Evo4G

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Jewce posted:

Finally looking for a twitter app. Searched a bit but it's hard to nail down. So, what's the best? I remember seeing the official app and plume a bunch. Is it still between those two?

I'm a major fan of Plume since a couple of updates ago. My favorite feature is definitely the fact that it'll keep track of where you quit reading, and also syncs this to a server so that it's the same place on any Android device.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Gilyon posted:

Is there an app that will let me stream what's on my computer monitor to my tablet? I know a remote desktop app can display my PC's visual output, but I don't need to control my computer - just see a duplicate of my monitor.

A VNC server should do that; just tell it to ignore input from your device. I saw people above me mentioned the same thing, but didn't mention a specific application to do it. Any of the major ones should do it without a problem.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

gmq posted:

Are there any alarm clock apps able to tell me the weather, whatever events I have in google calendar (or Astrid) and maybe read a RSS feed?

I've got an app on my Touchpad that does almost all of that.
https://market.android.com/details?...2h0Lm5pZ2h0Il0.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sweetmerch.www.night.night.pro&hl=en

I'm not sure about the RSS part, but everything else you mentioned is there. The free one is what I'm using at the moment.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

jerman999 posted:

So this is odd - have an EVO3D on Sprint and trying to search for PDANet in the android market. Can't find it in the market, but can find the market link through the browser, but when I click on it there's a pop-up that says the item can't be found. What's going on here?

A lot of the phone companies are blocking tethering apps from being downloaded

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Matlock posted:

How's Tapatalk? It's a buck on Amazon right now, and I hear it's pretty solid for most every message board out there.

There's about 5 different forums I use it on; it makes everything a lot easier to navigate through, and especially searching if you ever use it.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

hotsauce posted:

On my Transformer, the text is stacked on top of each other, rendering it basically useless. It's clearly not designed for tablets.

I've tried all of the Weather Bug Elite Widgets on my Prime, and they all look normal to me. Got a screen shot/name of the exact one in question in case I'm missing it?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is there any way to buy some of those super cheap games like Dead Space or Asphalt 6 now while they are still on sale if I currently have no compatible devices?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I seem to remember people saying there was a way to do this with Android emulator.

Would changing the build.prop work for something like that?
They said they didn't have a compatible device, not that they didn't have one so there should be something to do.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

indoflaven posted:

So I got a new phone, but cannot remember my twitter password. Is there a way I can get it off my old phone? Apparently it isn't tied to my email and twitter doesn't recognize it/can't find my device.

Would it have an email address or something identifying in the settings on the old device?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Any opinions of BitTorrent clients? I've been downloading my CM9 night lies that way lately since the mirrors have been kind of messed up for the past week.

I see there's an official client from whomever bought that enterprise, but it fails on simple things (telling you where on SD your files are).

I've had good experience with tTorrent. I haven't tried any others, but I don't any issues downloading stuff with that app.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Does anyone have any recommendation for Bill Organizer apps? Ideally, no integration with websites for them. I think I tried BillPay so far and wasn't too big of a fan.

Basically I just want something that I can set the date it's normally due (or set it in however many days are in a billing cycle), the set amount if it's always the same, or blank if it changes month to month, when it's paid, etc.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

spincube posted:

Maybe a separate calendar? Give it a different colour, and it will stand out from your regular schedule. Google Calendar will then handle your bill notifications, too.

That's actually what I've been using.

I was hoping for something a little 'easier' to enter amounts and stuff into

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

CrispKing posted:

Anyone know of a good way for me to review all of the "what's new" notes at once after all my apps auto-update? I don't want to have to update each one individually, but like seeing what's been updated. Any thoughts?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cypressworks.changelogviewer&hl=en

That should do exactly what you want

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

traslin posted:

Microsoft finally got around to releasing an Xbox Live Android app.

Which doesn't work on tablets. It told me I might have a better experience with the website, and immediately closed on me. TF201 that's up to date.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

What's the best shopping list app? I checked out Remember the Milk but it seems far too complex for what I want. I just want something that will keep a recurring list and that I can add quantities of things to.

Isn't the Goon one "Out Of Milk"?

It seems pretty basic, and does what you list

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Out of Milk was actually the one I was thinking of originally but I got it mixed up with Remember the Milk which seems rubbish.

It took me forever to remember the correct name of that one as well.

LastInLine posted:

Whoever it was that suggested Changelog Droid, thanks! This thing owns.

You're welcome! It does make it a ton easier, especially with the 100+ apps I have installed on my TF201

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

the worst is my bank whose (android) app literally launches the browser to the mobile version of their website, but the URL is formed in such a way that there is no chance someone could just type it in. After that you can just bookmark it, but it's ridiculous that they even make you download the app in the first place.

Regions bank? Or are there more banks doing that now? There used to be a third party app that worked great, then they disabled it saying they'd have an android app soon. Then they released it and it only opens the browser to their mobile Site. Supposedly an employee was posting in the reviews in the Market /Play store saying an actual app would be released really soon. A year later it's still opening the browser.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Karthe posted:

What's a good android RDP app? I want to use my PC from my couch through my Revue.

I was about to say I use one by Xtralogic called "Remote Desktop", but then you threw a curveball by saying for the Revue. I wouldn't mind knowing that as well. I wish there were more compatible apps for the revue. I've tried side loading some, but a lot just don't work.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

brc64 posted:

I've been using aCar since I bought my new car about a year ago. I don't use some of the features, but seeing my mileage info tracked over the course of a year is pretty neat. It also helps me keep track of my oil changes and such.

I've had it since about a month after the Evo4G was released. Pretty interesting to see the trends in gas used for trips, and overall price paid over the last 2 years.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Aatrek posted:

TweetDeck hasn't been updated in like a year. I need a Twitter/Facebook app that displays both feeds in a combined timeline. Anything out there?

Plume is close to what you are looking for.
It may not be combined, but it is side by side; that's assuming you mean tweets and posts are mixed in together in one column.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Every launcher that supports it does through unconventional means. Some applications come with widgets that can display information like you want, but that's up to the developer.

Doesn't Apex do this without another App installed? I thought I remember seeing a number over some Google icon in the past

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Cruseydr posted:

You'll never guess what app was updated today!

I was just about to post that!

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

LastInLine posted:

You guys know you can stop this from happening by unchecking the option in Play Store > Settings, right?

I'm pretty sure Dolphin put short cuts on the home screen before the Market/Play store ever did; so it's application based that'd ignore the Play Store settings.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Jewce posted:

poo poo, I gotta leave for the airport in 2 hours and I have a bunch of MKV files I wanted to load on my tablet.

What app should I use for playing these files? Would I be better off converting them to something else? If so what software should I use? I only have two hours and need to convert 22gigs of video so I'm not sure if I have time for that method.

Seconding MXPlayer/MXPlayer Pro. You probably don't have time to even copy them. I'd say maybe a flash drive if you have a way to copy them afterwards from another computer somehow. Of course a few before on the tablet would be good as well.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

IT Guy posted:

Just an FYI, the Humble Bundle 3 for Android is live right now:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay more than the average and you get extra games. Some really good games in here too.

I think it was posted earlier. I'm sort of glad I was broke and didn't qualify for the extras since they are repeats. I'm only missing out on Spirit, which I could get later and still be cheaper.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Latitude does this.

It'll have to be shared with other Google Maps users using Latitude, and you'll have to add and confirm each user I believe.

There was a popular app on Windows Mobile that did it, and I think this is it for Android - Track Me -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=LEM.TrackMe&hl=en

It'll share with a webpage instead and might be much easier to do.

uapyro fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 29, 2012

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Ceros_X posted:

If you have Sprint they have a signal extender that plugs into your router and routes your calls and poo poo through the internet. It is free if your reception at home is lovely enough.

Also, if you have Sprint there's the Google Voice integrations. I have a Chrome extension that'll ding whenever I get a voicemail or text. And it always dings a few seconds before my phone. As for voice, if you leave a window of Gmail up, assuming it's been setup for the dialing inside of Gmail, it'll ring whenever you get a phone call and it can be answered from the browser.

Especially useful if you forget your phone since everyone else can't tell a difference except maybe that the call sounds better than normal.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Zen Punk posted:

I've been using Google Voice as my primary phone using GrooveIP and the Voice app over wifi at home and school. I don't even have a cell provider. The voice quality is only ok at best with a strong signal(lots of delay problems and other glitches), but I love being able to see and review texts from my phone, tablet, or pc and it makes it easy for me to be an extreme cheapass. The voice transcription has been improving and I've been impressed many times. It's quite handy.

I use that app too, and I've noticed that certain ISPs just dont work well at all with it. AT&T DSL seems to just barely work at all. I've tried it at different places, so it's different routers. I've used Charter and it seemed to work pretty good.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Mega Comrade posted:

I thought they might but their android store app is so bad I didn't even consider it an option and assumed their music one was too.

I'm pretty sure it downloads the MP3s in a regular format accessible by anything. PowerAMP at least picks up on the Albums I save for offline usage, and plays them without a problem.

Adding a +1 for Amazon Music as well; anytime Google has a decent sale I've noticed they matched their prices. Plus they have codes for anywhere from a free song for $1, sometimes $2, to $4 off of albums.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

SwiftKey is also frequently on sale! And the SwiftKey trial lasts for a full 30 days.

There's also a SwiftKey beta that is free for certain periods of time before expiring.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Cruseydr posted:

Google Voice updated, and screwed up all my settings. Yay!

It appears to be a pain if you just want to use voice for voicemail handling, it seems like they want to fully integrate your phone, and I don't really want to use my google voice number or the texting app.

Just go to the Google Voice website, in the settings, and on phones disable the integration for yours. I had to do that to my wifes, and then set up the *28 or whatever for conditional call forwarding so it does the voicemail again.

It's pretty confusing since it's not a setting in the app, and it may not be one on the mobile site either.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Require More Fire posted:

Are there any good car dock apps out there? The top few that show up in a Play search are all pretty lovely. They either look like crap or have terrible/no features.

Why the gently caress is Google's own car home limited to certain devices? :iiam:

Is this one you saw?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cwfk.ig88.carhome3&feature=search_result

Car Dock Home

I'm pretty sure this is the one I've used in the past, though the UI looks horrible now.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Edit: never mind, someone read it to me wrong

uapyro fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 30, 2012

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Anyone have a clue on how to get the Tracking Cards to work?

I've got an email from Amazon with a tracking number (and it shows this on the right side) in my email, but neither of my devices are picking it up in Google Now.

I've checked on both, and it's set to scan GMail, as well as the "Tracking" card is turned on.

One is an up to date TF700T, the other an Evo3D (Can't remember what ROM it's on)

The only thing I can imagine might be it is I have a Google Hosted account, with @4-7.us instead of @gmail.com at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

LastInLine posted:

They just worked for me although if you don't have the standard Google account you shouldn't expect the same.

I haven't seen anything about it requiring a @gmail.com address specifically, and the settings in the domain control panel have every option listed. It does at this point seem like it would be the most likely choice; searching online others have the same problem, but don't mention if they are on a hosted account or anything else really.

bull3964 posted:

Do you have these emails bypassing the Inbox?

Now will only scan the inbox.

Nope, they are chilling in the inbox.

• Locked thread