Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Ciabatta posted:

I don't think this happens for me. I'm pretty sure I have to manually hit "upload" for each file. Not too big a deal for me, but I'm glad to know there's an automatic syncing option. I may also have some settings set weird.

When you put files into Dropbox using the client app it's pushed up to the cloud automatically, but if you drop something into the sdcard\dropbox\ folder using a file manager or something, it won't. I don't think Android lets an app 'watch' a directory in the same way as a desktop client can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Just a thought: anyone know if the ICS version of the Calendar app has Google Tasks integration, as with the browser client?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed - in my receipt emails, I'm being addressed by my employer's former name; as in, 'Dear [COMPANY_NAME]'.

Now that's odd, but what's even stranger is that that text doesn't even appear anywhere in my G+ profile right now; I'm sure I altered it around mid-October time after a corporate buyout/re-branding, but I've got a receipt from November that still calls me by [COMPANY_NAME].

Of course, there's no way to alter this in the 'Market account' page, and of course that information's not up on my G+ page. I just don't know what the gently caress right now.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sebbe posted:

Try checking your Google Wallet; that's probably where it gets the name from.

Thanks for the tip. Deleting my card & address, and then re-adding them worked just fine.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
From reading the article, my interpretation is that Google want developers to put obvious, important, need-it-now buttons right in front of users (new email, search through email) and put the rest, lesser used buttons (options/preferences menu link, go to another mail folder) behind the [...] button.

The intent is to solve the 'gently caress it, throw it all in the Menu button' problem, and make it so apps can adapt to big and small screens ('only show this, that, and the other button if there is room to')

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's because it's true. Google has some massive project ADD. They need to pull back into what they already have out there and focus on following through.

Which, to be fair, they've been doing a lot of lately. I'd guess that the failure of Wave, the closure of Google Labs and the opening of Google+ was an impetus to start bringing everything under one scalable, manageable roof; but when you're dealing with separate projects and code-bases and objectives across an infrastructure as big as theirs, though, it's sadly not something you can do overnight.

There's got to be some unification effort across their web, Chrome, Android and ChromeOS projects. The capability and opportunity's there, Google aren't a web behemoth for nothing, but I'm getting messages that there's no fixed goal beyond improving their Web search and ads. Stick with what they know? Fling poo poo at the wall and see what sticks? Go all-in on crazy billionaire-with-too-much-money projects?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

MediaMonkey takes care of that stuff in seconds, though, and embeds the album art too if you want it; plus it talks to iPods, which is why I first got it. The downside to Spotify is the same one all the cloud services have: big bandwidth consumption in a mostly-capped world.

There's a sort-of workaround for that; Spotify lets you cache playlists offline, so if you create a separate playlist to listen to on the way to/from work or whatever you can download it over your home connection beforehand and leave it at that.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Only the space left on your handset, as long as you're a Spotify Premium member.

There's also a separate offline mode in the app settings that stops it syncing entirely with their servers - I think in that case it only phones home every thirty days. In case you're heading to Antarctica for a holiday, or you work in a Faraday cage.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Splizwarf posted:

Nope, I don't work for Lockheed. Here, have a wall of questions:

What's the musical selection like? Electro? Euro dubstep? Classical? Chiptunes? Jazz? Live DJ sets (probably the most important)? Recommendations based on what I'm already liking? What bitrates are available? How's the app audio quality? Is there a Windows version? If so, can I use Offline Mode with it?

It's probably best if you download the desktop client and give it a spin for a week or so, see if the selection suits you - I've never really found it lacking, but my music tastes are pretty whitebread. There's also some chitchat over in NMD you might find useful.

In brief, though:
Recommendations? - there's a radio function similar to last.fm, where you enter an artist and it'll wander through similar artists' work.
Bitrates - the FAQ puts the free stream at q3 Ogg quality, and the premium at q9.
Offline mode - as long as you're a premium member, you can cache playlists for offline use across the phone and desktop clients.

Best use I've found for it so far is that it'll wirelessly sync your PC's music to your handset over wifi as a free user - you can put your local MP3s into playlists and have it sync up that way.
Only thing it's really lacking for me is lockscreen controls, and that the UI is slightly iOS-flavoured.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
See, 'Market' wasn't descriptive enough, and was confusing our consumers. 'Play' obviously describes where to get your apps and music and books from.

What the gently caress are they smoking?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If hosting their books, movies and music storefronts on the 'Android Market' was a problem, why not just drop the 'Android' from the title?

Market -> Android
Market -> Music
(Google) Market -> Books

etc.

[edit] oh, and some apps are on sale or something

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

A quick question, is Contact Sync working for anyone with the official Twitter app on a Galaxy Nexus? Mine has had an error ever since I got it with "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly" at the bottom of the Accounts & Sync screen.

Is this just me or is it broken for everyone?

It's been broken for me since the start of February; I've whined about it a few times in this thread (along with Browser sync not working for even longer).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is Android Beam exclusive to ICS? - as in, can a Galaxy Nexus (ICS) and Nexus S (GB) pass webpages and what-have-you back and forth just by tapping their backs together?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you're using 2-step authorisation on your Google account (i.e. you need to use the Authenticator app to supply a verification number every thirty days), they've released a new version on the Market as a separate app. You'll need to install the new app and run it, let it switch over to the new app, and then uninstall the old app.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Android Market Play Store seems to be having trouble - apparently I've got absolutely no apps installed, and I'm getting an 'Error while retrieving information from the server [RPC]' error message from the 'All' panel. No use force closing + wiping data, it's server-side.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just found Google's own 'Chrome to Mobile' extension, and it seems to do the job nicely for pushing stuff between my phone and PC. Any ideas on how to remove sent pages from their history within the Chrome for Android app, though? It seems to be independent of the main CfA browsing history controls.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really, really don't like how the latest Market version keeps a record of every single app I've installed, ever, under the 'All' tab in My Apps.

I mean, at the very least I'd alphabetise the list or something; that would make a lot more sense than sorting by last install date. Ideally I'd like to be able to remove the 'xxxxx FREE VERSION' from the list, too; but as it stands currently it's frustrating to scroll through every single app ever, pick one, realise it's not the one I was looking for, hit back, and be dumped back at the top of the list again.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tasker can simulate media control input (play/pause-next track-previous track). If TinyShark responds to these, maybe this could help?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

There are a couple people have liked but I use Notes for ICS because it does a good job with Google Tasks syncing and can be displayed in Android Agenda Widget.

I used Android Agenda Widget for a while, but besides being unable to display tasks, the stock calendar widget in 4.0.4 is almost identical - to be honest, I don't use tasks often enough to make any difference though.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there no way of altering media button input, then?

My wired earphones have just the one button that pauses music, and I'd prefer it to skip to the next track.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Am I right in assuming that the 'Me' entry in People has its information populated by scraping your Google+ profile? - disregard, it augments your 'local profile' (i.e. tell it your name) with G+ information. I think.

Regardless, I'm kind of peeved that there's an entry in Accounts for Facebook contact sync, but contact data won't sync.

spincube fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 14, 2012

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In a world where pricing an app above 0.99 leads to people 1-starring and hammering out angry HOW DARE YOU RIP ME OFF THIS IS WHY PEOPLE PIRATE poo poo AAAARGH reviews, I'd imagine that downloading a 'free' app only to be presented with a request for money would not receive the warmest of welcomes.

...unless you're talking about removing the separate 'lite' and 'paid' versions and replacing this with just the one. Maybe people are worried that one of the AAAAARGH reviewers will only work around the in-app payment?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I suppose it's only a matter of time until someone releases a 'cloud phone', where literally everything on the device is synced up with cloud storage.

We've had that one Facebook phone from HTC, bring on the Dropbox phone.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I really, really hope that the Google Drive app gets some kind of 'export' option. At the moment, the only way of saving Google docs - native Google Documents, not uploaded MS Office documents - as alternate formats is only possible via the desktop webapp.

If I want to print off something I have typed up in Google Docs, I need to login to a nearby PC, download my doc as a PDF, and print it from there. Ideally, I'd like to be able to trigger this from my phone's app - all I'd need to do then would get the PDF off my phone and onto a PC and print it.

It's silly to work around this using only Word documents instead of native Google documents, or expect everyone to have a Cloud Print-enabled printer.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

Does anyone have any recommendation for Bill Organizer apps? Ideally, no integration with websites for them. I think I tried BillPay so far and wasn't too big of a fan.

Basically I just want something that I can set the date it's normally due (or set it in however many days are in a billing cycle), the set amount if it's always the same, or blank if it changes month to month, when it's paid, etc.

Maybe a separate calendar? Give it a different colour, and it will stand out from your regular schedule. Google Calendar will then handle your bill notifications, too.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ragingsheep posted:

Apparently they plan to make it a subscription service since it doesn't make sense for them to charge a flat fee for users who use the service for 3+ years.

Can pocket be used as a normal RSS reader or can it only view articles I saved?

Pocket won't read RSS feeds. The official Chrome extension pops a little Pocket icon next to item titles in Google Reader, though, which is sometimes useful; I just wish the extension used local storage, rather than just a tool to add URLs to your online Pocket account.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Spotify just updated - it looks as though the previously-released sideloaded 'preview' app was pushed to the Market. Playlist folders, lockscreen controls, and finally an interface that isn't awful.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

Did they do anything about that bug that insists you're offline all the time?

I never encountered that bug, funnily enough. All mine ever did was forget I was logged in, then insist that I connect using facebook when trying to login again. Then, after giving in and re-installing, of course I'd have to re-sync my music all over again. Madness.

...so I'll give the new app a few days, and see.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the ??MB filesize restriction on Market apps has finally, finally been lifted? Sonic CD just updated, and I noticed that instead of being a teeny-tiny Market app with a larger 'additional content' download, it's now a 262MB Wi-Fi download.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Skype's stopped saving my login details - after a fresh boot it refuses to sign in, saying that my 'Skype name' is invalid. It'll let me log back in with the same details just fine, though. Anybody else getting this?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there any Twitter/Facebook apps available that will a) sync contact data with my contacts, and following on from this b) feed their updates into their contact profile in People?

I know Google+ does this, surely the main 2 global social networks should also.

[e] I'm running the 'official' apps for both right now

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Aren't IAPs only linked to a single device? I'd hate to upgrade my phone and lose access to an app I 'paid for' just because I'm on new hardware.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So Google made it easier for developers to take my money, but I've no way of telling how persistent my purchase would be.

:cripes:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You'd think that billing directly using Google Wallet would be a good work-around for consumable DLC, and leave IAPs as a more permanent purchase. Like the Valve (and iTunes?) model.

Believe me, I don't have a problem with IAPs, DLCs or other TLAs, so long as it's clear from the outset what you're purchasing and for how long. The no-ads IAP for Words With Friends, for example, doesn't specify which category it falls into, it just promises 'the best Words With Friends experience'. The T&Cs are about as useful as you'd expect, too.

Why not make it like any other permission, with a brief description of the IAPs required on the store page? Similar to how you can weed out the lovely devs that don't explain why they need to read your SMS' and call log from their picture frame app, for example.

[edit] I realise I'm on the verge of getting frustrated about Google's half-cocked attempts at running a virtual shopfront again.

quote:

the portion of the app data that Google backs up to the cloud.

Another half-baked idea that's completely opaque to the end-user... :cripes:

spincube fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 25, 2012

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've got Swiftkey installed on my N7, because for some reason pressing-and-holding the top row for numbers (and punctuation?) doesn't work on the stock JB tablet keyboard.

Any suggestions for Facebook and Twitter clients that'll write my contacts' updates into their social stream in the People app, the same way Google+ does?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can't use application-specific passwords for your devices, it scolds you and asks for your Google account's main password instead.

While we're on authenticator-chat, though, have a look at this:

Am I OK to remove these? I assume that whatever uses these will ask nicely again to access my +1s :ohdear:

spincube fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 7, 2012

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Uh, I used application-specific passwords for my phone and tablet with out any issue.

How strange. I was originally looking for a way to manage and access my Keepass file - having a 64-character Google account password might be secure, but if I don't know that password in the first place, keeping it inside Google Drive makes it somewhat difficult to retrieve the file later. Like opening a box with the key inside!

What I did was change my Google account password on my PC. This pops up the usual 'account authorisation failed' prompt on my phone and N7, so I jumped at the opportunity to use 2FA instead of my Google account password; should the worst happen, disable the device using Cerberus, and revoke the 2FA password for good measure. It didn't work; at the browser sign-in screen that pops up, it asked for my account password, not a 2FA password.

I've since had a play around on my N7, and found that removing my Google account then adding it again using a 2FA password worked. I've no idea what kind of technical difference there is that requires removing and re-adding my account, but whatever. At least now I only really need to have memorised two passwords: my Google account password, and my Keepass file password.

[edit] Hopefully, this news about potential multi-user support in future Android versions spurs development towards a one-stop-shop, user-friendly account management system; 'here is your account, it is currently logged into device x, want to log out of that guy's tablet you logged into yesterday? ok you can click here to remove that nexus one you sold eighteen months ago, by the way over there's all the apps you purchased, device x has A, B and C installed, device y has D and E installed' etc.

spincube fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 8, 2012

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

Skype uses very little. I'd imagine most use very little these days though since they should be using C2DM/GCM since forever ago.

Skype auto-signs out for me after about half an hour or so. This has persisted across devices, and I used to be able to leave it on pretty much permanently in the background, so I assume it's something server-side. Kind of frustrating.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Location history and Google Now are always kind of hosed up for me. This is because I work from home and additionally make many short trips during the day to different job sites.

Google has no idea wtf is going on with me.

I've apparently been teleporting between work and home. Left location reporting turned on while my tablet charged up at home all day :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Frozen-Solid posted:

Is there any way to remove the Google+ Instant Upload notification on Jelly Bean, without disabling all Google+ Notifications?

I just got a Galaxy Nexus and I love it, but my Atrix on Gingerbread never notified me for Instant Uploads. It's really annoying.

Tap the 'Notifications' text in Google+ settings, it'll drill down into another menu where you can remove the upload notifications.

It's incredibly unintuitive - why the hell they don't use the system on/off slider (like in the wifi menu) is beyond me. The way it is now, it looks like notifications are an all or nothing thing, and that's not the case.

• Locked thread