Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Sbull posted:

What do you do when you've got a lot of keywords with over 1,000 monthly searches and the CPC value is way above $1.00? I'm talking like $15 or more. And the competition for them is all low.

Is there an upper limit on CPC value that you don't want to go over for some reason?

When you say competition is low, do you mean from what it says in Google Keyword Tool or did you type the keywords into Google.com and check the actual competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Sbull posted:

Google tool. But what if it doesn't appear swamped even in a Google search?

It also depends on the PRs of the pages that show on Google for your keyword, too. If its a bunch of PR4 and up might as well forget getting on the first page anytime soon if at all. Download SEOQuake for Firefox. It shows pages PR when looking at Google.com. You can also use the free version of Traffic Travis to do some research on the competition for your keywords.

Edit: I should also add there is more than just looking at PR but its the first thing to do to quickly get an idea what you are facing.

jabro fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 7, 2011

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FCKGW posted:

I'm still wondering why the thread wasn't titled "I got 99 visits but a click ain't one"

Split testing didn't support it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

beadgc posted:

Yeah, maybe I'm overthinking some things. I guess I'll just jump in and roll with the punches.

This is honestly the best way to do it. You will get to a point where you are doing too much research and never actually pull the trigger in anything. This is why people make so much money selling WSOs on the Warrior forum. You can read all you want but you will never learn how whatever happens until you try it yourself then see and learn from the results.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Don't know. PM the keyword to me and I'll tell you! Seriously though, what does the competition look like on the first page of Google? Are they all high PR sites that will be hard to fight for rankings?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Whats the competition like for each? Doesn't matter what the monthly searches or CPC is if you can't get in the first page.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

http://www.sxc.hu/

This what I sometimes use. Most times you just have to email the photographer and get their permission.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Also, don't put final and fantasy on separate lines. Your keyword is "final fantasy" so put that on one line. Where it says "one per line" means one keyword phrase per line, not individual words.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Enjoy the drinks or whatever. I very much doubt there would be enough revenue possible from a Japanese ski blog for all that including free drinks.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Also try experimenting with some placement. Put a horizontal underneath your header or post title. See how that goes.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FCKGW posted:

Are you sharing links manually?

I use http://twitterfeed.com/ and it's pretty nice, it watches your RSS feed and updates every x hours. It'll put your link in a bit.ly shortener, pull a title and first bit of content from your post and push it out to Facebook and Twitter. It'll even grab the first image too.

Here's an example from one of my regular blogs (non monetized)

Its not Eastvale, its Mira Loma. :colbert:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FCKGW posted:

It was Mira Loma and Corona, but we've been a city for almost 3 whole years now!

I grew up in Sky Country and lived at Homecoming until about 2 years ago before buying a house in Jurupa Hills....er, Jurupa Valley now unless Jerry Brown continues to be a dick.

The power of Facebook cannot be stated enough, people. People that like your site will "like" your site on Facebook. Most people are friends with people who have some of the same tastes so their friends will check out your page from their friend's like, which in turn will get them to "like" your page. It can snowball into increased numbers going to your site. Nothing beats quality content but Facebook can help get people there to see it. Every blog should have a Facebook and Twitter, every blog.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

invision posted:

Tell me about twitter. I've never used it in my personal life and I guess I don't understand it enough to see the need for it for my blog. Not saying that you're wrong, I'm just saying that I don't understand it and up until this point I haven't had one. I don't even know how to use twitter.

Its another way to connect to your readers. You are just basically just linking posts from your blog with a link to the post hoping your followers will retweet it to their followers. Just don't be like a robot with it though and just send an automated message every time you update your blog. Get your followers involved, ask questions that get them to respond to you. The Fireground Friday thing you tweeted was good.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Man-Thing posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but I'm willing to bet the fine folks of this thread will have encountered this particular situation before:

So as part of my nebulous duties working in a small office, I manage my (fairly active) company's forums. These are forums for our service that random customers post in. We have every post manually reviewed by me. Most are insufferably boring (what's it like working at such-and-such company? how much did you make?) and get approved and posted.

Recently, though, we've been getting bizarre spam-posts. Posts where the subject line is the first 128 characters of the post, and the post is nonsense. Things like:
Their name is always a random string, and the IP shifts (or is spoofed), so we can't just IP ban. Our forum doesn't cover the topic of abortion at all, so this is a completely irrelevant topic to be posting about.

Our tech team has been theorizing about this, that they're salting the mis-spellings to be able to google them later and see if their fakeposting is getting through.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? What are your suggestions (either to solve this or to seek help elsewhere)?

Are there any links in the posts? It looks like forum bot posting. The best way to get rid of it is not allow open registration. You already have to review every post before allowing it to publish. Do the same with registration.

And why do you review every post before it goes live? Did you have a problem before or something? That seems like a lot of unnecessary work. If your forum is fairly active and has decent members they should be pretty good monitoring lovely posts and reporting them with you just checking every so often.

jabro fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 26, 2012

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

invision posted:

How do I keep it up? I have a guy that wants to buy it like right now.

You can't. Most sites do the Google Dance. Jump up real high then nosedive to then build back up.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

JFairfax posted:

Are there any recommendations for a decent WordPress Amazon Affiliate plugin?

This has been talked about in the last few pages.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

invision posted:

I've been feeling lately like my blog has been "stuck" at the same size as far as readership goes. It's definitely my fault as I've been too busy to regularly update it, but I've been sitting here trying to think of ways to make it "bigger" and I haven't really came up with anything. Any ideas guys?

Why make it bigger when you don't have time for it now?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

cartooncart posted:

I am a full-time link builder and I have done work in a big variety of niches. I have never paid more than $150 USD for a good contextual link in a relevant and recent post even when I don't provide any content.

On that topic, never ever ask for content if it isn't part of the initial pitch. I tend to just to scrape an article directory, spin something interesting and make it more readable.

If anyone is interested, I can talk about how to get more advertising offers & dealing with people like me or just link building/buying in general?

I'm always interested in hearing other people talk about their expertise and how they go about it so go nuts. I'll definitely be reading. I've been slacking on my blogging in general the last couple months and need to get my rear end back on track.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

They get an entry into the contest for every like or follow they do for your blog and the product manufacture. So if they like and follow you and the manufacturer they get 4 entries into the contest.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I'm moving from Hostgator to one of the Goon hosting services in SA-Mart. I figure some of you guys more than likely using one of them so was hoping for some input. The ones I'm looking at is Lithium and Nixihost. Do you use them, know people who use them? Do you like them, hate them, etc?

I'm leaning towards a reseller account hoping to cover my hosting, domain, and WHOIS bills for the year. I'm not planning nothing big. Throw up a web site, some banners on some of my appropriate sites for it, and maybe host family and friends' sites if they want for a few bucks/year. I suck at names so if anyone has any ideas for a semi-professional name that sounds cool with some form of the word "Host" and has an open .com I'd love you for a couple of minutes and throw happy thoughts your way.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Stealthgerbil posted:

I am thinking of making a blog about cheese since I do eat a lot of good cheese and it would be nice to keep track of it in a format that other people can view. Plus I want to make my own cheese and make posts about it and I think it would be a cool and fun idea for a blog. Does this sound like a decent idea for a blog?

Here is some keywords with competition and search numbers for making cheese from a quick look on the Google Keyword Tool. The potential is there.

code:

[making goat cheese] 		Low 	590

[make cheese] 			Low 	720

[cheese making] 		Medium 	6,600

[cheese making kits] 		High 	720

[cheese making books] 		High 	110

[cheese making classes] 	Low 	210

[cheese making recipes] 	Medium 	720

[making cheese] 		Medium 	2,400

[home cheese making] 		High 	590

[cheese making supplies] 	High 	2,900

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Revol posted:

How closely should I follow the rule in the main post about researching AdWords for Approx. CPC over $1? I'm finding plenty of nice sized monthly searches with low competition, but the CPC might be more around 70-90 cents.

It's not set in stone. If you find some good keywords that you can rank go for it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Nayt posted:

I'm having a contest on Facebook to pick out a name for my personal/business/car sales website. Basically I know lots of people that don't want to deal with my co-workers and don't want to call in to the store and leave me kudos, etc. Track my sales, schedule and inventory.

Here's a link. I'd love feedback. I'm looking for a Name and catch phrase. I'm giving away $200 to Best Buy or St. Louis Cardinal Baseball Tickets (or any other team if you're not from Missouri, etc)

Nice way to farm likes from this forum.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

List Building and You

A blogger in another thread asked for the benefits of an email list. I had about 500 words on email lists written out and why you should have one but in my research I found someone who said it better so I'm posting that here instead.

quote:

Email Marketing 101: Why You MUST Have An Email List To Make Money With Your Blog
by Dan & Jennifer

Today’s topic: Email lists, and why even today they are still important. Why do I need that? I have social media. No one uses email anymore, you say. We will tell you all about email lists and more importantly why you MUST have one to make money with your blog.

Wait, why email? Isn’t social media the cool new thing these days?

Well, that’s true. Social media is all the rage these days, and for good reason. It’s probably the most effective form of marketing on the planet today, maybe the most effective form of all time. It does wonders for your traffic.

But consider this: 90% of the people who get to your website, however they find you (via word of mouth, social media, search engines like Bing! or Google, for example), don’t come back. They visit once and leave forever. That’s kind of a problem if you want to start a website that generates ad revenue and ultimately generates you an income. You want them to come back and come back regularly.

How do you get those visitors to come back to your site?

It’s quite simple: you get yourself an email list set up – and get your visitors to sign up to it. The trick is to get people to give you their email address willingly, so that you can contact them regularly and entice them to come back check out all the cool stuff you’ve been writing about. All that is known as email marketing.

How do you get people to give you their email address?

So now you know you need an email list. But how do you get someone to give you their email address? Simple: you don’t. No one is just going to hand you that information.

Way too many people already have their email address and they are already overwhelmed by the sheer amount of legitimate emails they receive on a daily basis (and we’re not even mentioning the spam emails they get). Just think about your own inbox… you know what we’re talking about here. So they aren’t exactly in a big hurry to hand their email addresses over to someone who is going to pile even more emails into their inbox.

No one gives that info away all willy nilly, but they WILL give it to you, if you know how to ask. How do you ask? By giving them something. Saying things like “sign up for our email list in order to get this FREE (insert e-book, free credit report, free Aardvark calendar or anything else you think they just can’t live with out)” works a lot better than saying “please sign up for our newsletter or email list (which probably contains absolutely NOTHING that they’d want to read anyway).

The term some marketers use here is an ethical bribe… you bribe people to give you a chance to contact them over email by offering them a great incentive they ACTUALLY WANT in order to get on your list.

Tip: No one cares about your “newsletter”.

This leads us to a very important point. We want you to say the following out loud with us: Nobody gives a drat about your newsletter. It’s harsh, I know, but it’s true.

No one wants to hear about all the fancy new office layout or the new site redesign or whatever. People are busy and selfish. They don’t care about YOU, they care about THEM. They have problems and they want to know how to solve them. Focus on what they need. More importantly focus on how YOU are the one to solve their problems for them.

Send your subscribers great content to establish yourself as an expert.

Now that you’ve got them subscribed to your list, it’s all up to you… and it comes down to 2 main things: quality and consistency.

Quality: Don’t email people junk, send them useful stuff. It’s that simple.

If you expect someone to read what you have to say regularly and not immediately unsubscribe, then send them somehthing that’ll actually have some value to them. Maybe the best tips of the week for whatever topic of newsletter they signed up for, be it puppy care tips or whatever. Do it right, it’ll be worth it in the end. This is not to say you can’t send them offers for quality services they can use, that’s fine. But for every offer you send, plan to send 3 to 5 useful pieces of information that makes them feel your email is worth opening.

Consistency: Send out your newsletter regularly so your readers know when to expect them.

Sending your newsletter messages out consistently is crucial.

People (and search engines) like consistency, a reliable, predictable schedule that shows them “you’re serious” and in this for the long haul, not some guy out to make a quick buck.

Over time your email list will grow, and so will your customer base.

It will take time, but it is a moral imperative that you become a trusted expert in their minds. Why? Because when they want more information on a particular topic, or more importantly, if they want to buy something on the topic who do you think they will be turning to? Some random guy who sends out an email once a month. Are they going to ask themselves “What would Yoda do?” No, no they won’t. They will turn to their trusted expert on the subject whip out their wallet and hand that trusted expert some hard earned cash. Now do you see why you want to be their own personal Yoda (aka trusted expert) on the subject? That’s what we thought. Now you have seen the light, young grasshopper. Now go out and prosper!

So that is it. If you want anything expanded on just ask. Either myself or anyone here, who I know has a lot more experience on this than I do, can answer it.

Omits, on your blog you need to do two things. First, you need to dig out your opt-in from that hole you have it in and get it on top of the fold. Should be first thing on you right sidebar. Second, you expressed interest in writing an ebook. Do it. Write about something that deals with your blog obviously but make it something that wants people want to give you their email address. Hidden backpacking spots in Europe, hostel guide for spots that are near popular backpacking, something. Doesn't have to be War and Peace. Offer it free as enticement to signing up for your list. Have a picture of your ebook cover looking all cool wanting people to fill out that form.

Just putting your opt-in form above the fold should raise your rate for subscribers but giving them something free should shoot it through the roof. People love free poo poo.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Frost000 posted:

Is anyone here a member of Elegant Themes?

I ask because I'm interested in joining and figured I'd use someone else's affiliate link so we can split the commission.

No one posted but here is mine if you haven't used one yet.

http://www.elegantthemes.com/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=22538

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

What the hell do you people use for registars? Mine annoys the hell out of me bordering on spam to renew my domains. I love it because it makes me not put it off after a couple of days. They start at about 30 days to renew and the emails increase as it gets closer. I immediately renew not to get bombarded.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

mewse posted:

I use gandi.

There's a webhosting thread in SH/SC that talks about registrars occasionally.

That wasn't I need a new registrar post but a I can't see how people can forget to renew domain post.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I use namecheap and have no complaints. Especially after one problem I had. One night I drunk domained and didn't even remember until about 15 hours later when I saw the emails. I noticed it was spelled incorrectly so I contacted them and they refunded the money back to me except the ICANN fee. They could have easily said they were not responsible for misspellings and been completely correct.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KetTarma posted:

So I guess Google or Wordpress or something was hiding my ads from me so I couldnt accidently click on them. I dont know how long that's been the case but it's all working now. Someone suggested I try viewing my site in Incognito mode and that worked.

If anyone is bored and wants to tell me if I'm doing anything obviously wrong, my site is https://www.wirebiters.com
I've installed most of the suggested plugins and have been setting up social media accounts for the page. I'm still trying to figure out this SEO stuff.

I'm doing his site as a way to re-familiarize myself with some engineering fundamentals by writing articles about non-wikipedia-sperg-level theory while hopefully making a few dollars on the side. I figured I'd do some product reviews for hobby electronics stuff off of Amazon and include an affiliate link if someone wanted to use my materials list.

Do you have an ad blocker installed? I use IE to check my sites since they don't show up in Chrome with Ad Block.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KetTarma posted:

I've made about $7 from display ads and $0.24 from affiliate links this month. I guess that covers my maintenance fees.

Someone told me last night "Your front end is horrible and your site takes too long to load from all the poo poo you have running"

I rearranged things a little and removed some widgets. I'm kind of clueless on styles and just picked what I thought was a pretty premium wordpress theme.

Every post has a short bio of the author (I am the only one though) so I have that covered. I switched to my personal twitter account for linking per someone's advice.

I'll look into the OptinSkin and try to get that set up the next time I go to make major changes. I think I know how to set up a featured articles scrollbar on the side. Should I change the theme or layout or anything while I'm at it?
Here's my site: https://www.wirebiters.com

I'm a little worried that I wasted money on a bad theme based on what that guy said.

1. You have way too many social links up top. MySpace, really? Facebook, Twitter, G+, and RSS Feed are all I think you need. I'm not a big user of Pinterest but all I've seen of it is moms pinning recipes and DIY home stuff. It's popular so that, too, but I don't know if your target audience would be using it.

2. The title is okay for now but if this becomes somewhat successful pay someone $20-40 for a logo. Just a text title is boring and doesn't grab new readers.

3. Why is that black rectangle there? Your categories should be there to make it easy for readers to quickly jump to what they are interested in. Also an About Us page. Contact Us page if you want one. If you can change the colors consider having black text on white background if the white text on black background looks out of place.

4. You have two "featured" areas that are on top of each other. They are showing different things but it's too much. Drop the bottom one.

5. Right menu bar. Drop Archives to the bottom. Have a newsletter sub button at the top. Open a MailChimp account. It's free for the first 2000 subscribers. Get rid of the tags showing on the frontpage. Whatever SEO plug-in you have should let you tag individual posts. Have a list of keywords on your frontpage screams Geocities to me. With how Google works nowadays it actually hurts your ranking.

6. The Latest Posts is good. Maybe try to see how it looks with the snippets at 50 words instead of the 25-30 that it's at now. If it makes the front page posts to big then change back.

7. Footer! Holy poo poo, way too big. Get rid of Categories, Recent Posts, and Featured Posts. It's taking up too too much space where all of those things are already up above and presented better there. Have your privacy Policy and About Us down there. Contact Us, too, if you have one. Archives is fine down there.

How much did you pay for the theme if you mind me asking? How configurable is it? How many plug-ins do you have running? What are they? I find when people start blogging they can get a plug-in happy. When I started I had over 20 because everything looked so cool and would make my blog work so much better!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KetTarma posted:

I'm using this theme which was 45$.

I was kind of afraid to go diving into the php files to try to disable the social media stuff. I disabled everything I'm not using. I'm going to make a github account (people still use that, right?) and g+ account (is that worth the effort?). I just dont have any code that's really notable other than C++ schoolwork. I have some VHDL that's kind of neat and am learning assembly right now so I'll have some of that eventually.

I cant delete the Uncategorized category without messing up my theme. I can, however, change it to Announcements which sounds better.

I have a youtube channel but I havent done a very good job of setting it up. My camera gear is... my cellphone. It's not very good. I used to teach so I know I can at least present topics well. I just need something better than aiming my cellphone at what Im doing.

I decided to just drop the tags. I'm not entirely sure what they're there for anyway.

I'm going to hire a graphic designer I know to make a logo eventually. I just have no clue what to go for.

Plugin-wise:
All in one Rich Snippets
Google Analytics
Google XML Sitemaps
Jetpack
Symple Shortcodes
Pinterest Automatic
Wordpress SEO

I've made most of the suggestions from above. What plugin should I use for mailchimp? I see a lot of them and I'm sure there are some unsavory ones out there.

Looks a hell of a lot better. Have you thought about a background image instead of the grey? A circuit board or an electrical field related would go perfect with this. Something like the below image but work it so your blog is in the middle and the electricity from the wires are energizing it. Or something like a Tesla Coil. Make the blog eye-catching even before someone starts reading they know what the blog is about and are interested in reading what you have to say. People are very visual.

Yes, I know that image is lame but it's the best I could find quickly to get my point across.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yeah, do this. You didn't do anything wrong and should have no problems doing this. I don't know if the lawyer statement was just a joke because there is nothing the guy can go after you for.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KetTarma posted:

I copy pasted from http://moz.com/learn/seo/domain

I really need to figure out how to get more people to click ads. I've had nearly 2000 visitors and about 7 clicks. WELP

Get rid of the ad at the bottom of the pages and put a horizontal large link ad below your menu instead.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Omits-Bagels posted:

Jesus H. Christ... why is my bounce rate so drat high? It's sitting at like 65%. Backstory: On my previous wordpress theme my bounce rate was like 5%. Then I switched themes and it shot up to 65%. None of the content has changed and I think my new site looks a ton better then the old.

Post you site, please.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

dhrusis posted:

This is great and it pisses me off at the same time.

We have about 1100 likes, and we paid for them mostly, to get things started with our promotions. I need to go back and see if they are legit or not. We have very low engagement, and I previously thought it was because of how we posted stuff, or the fact that folks are overwhelmed in general with facebook so only the 'best' (most colorful, easiest to understand, least text, etc.) stuff gets through. That may still be the case.

Either way I need to get some new promotion out. Whats the new hotness?

If you paid for likes then they are not legit. The very act of you paying for them makes them not legit. Think about it for a second.

Edit: Paying for likes is good for unlocking all that extra crap Facebook puts behind how many likes you have but you aren't going to make money from a bunch of bot accounts.

jabro fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 17, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

dhrusis posted:

I "promoted my page". I didn't buy them on fiverr or something. I was under the impression that paying facebook to put your page in front of people that you've targeted with specific keywords was legit. That's what I meant by that.

That's different. When someone says they paid for likes they usually mean they paid some guy to give them a bunch of likes.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

KetTarma posted:

Recently, one of my articles on my blog got a pretty good bit of comments (100+). It became a nightmare to try to navigate the comments section. Since the subject of my blog is science and engineering, I was thinking of adding a full featured forum for people to a) comment on articles and b) ask for help on their own engineering projects/homework/whatever. A handful of readers have suggested something similar so I know it'd see at least a little use.

Right now Im using Jetpack comments. Is there any type of Wordpress-integrated forum software that will create a new thread for each article I publish, let people comment on that thread via the comments section of the article, and also have a full featured forum where people can also post? I don't mind spending a little bit of money if necessary, especially if it means I can use my own ads.

I was looking at Vanilla Forums but wanted to get some goon feedback. For reference, the article on my blog where the comments became unreadable is this one.

Either Ann is nuts or the greatest troll ever. I love her.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Moniker posted:

Here's a question. I'm a web developer by trade and I recently started a freelance portfolio and a blog to go along with it.

Most of the freelance work I get is through word of mouth. I'm writing in the blog more so for my own enjoyment. However, there's always the chance that someone could find me and contact me which brings me to my question!

Normally I have no qualms about advertisements on blogs or anything but because there is a a small chance that someone could find me and hire me I'm curious as what your thoughts are about placing one tasteful ad on my blog posts even though the site is an online portfolio of sorts? Tacky? Go for it? Thoughts?

I think it's tacky but that could just be me. Also, if I had a blog where I was selling myself I would want the attention on me and not divert to something for them to click to leave.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

dhrusis posted:

hey guys I need some HTML help on the theme for my Wordpress/Woocommerce online store. I figured one of you guys could look at the code in about 2 seconds and tell me what to change to make this work:

The page is here: http://livefreecoffee.com/shop/

The issue I'm having is the sidebar is too far down on the page instead of being on the right, like on this page: http://livefreecoffee.com

It seems no matter what I do with the DIV code it wants to move down there. I'm sure I can fix it with time but its annoying me and I know someone on here has the chops I'm missing:

I'm on my phone so can't really check anything but since you're on WordPress the first thing I'd check is my widgets and see if there a sidebar one that is not populating correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FCKGW posted:

Anyone have any experience contacting companies for review products? I need to get a handful of electronics for review, if not then it's time to abuse some store return policies.

I indirectly worked with this while contracting with a popular tech start-up. Most companies probably are somewhat like this but with some variation. With the explosion of YouTube review videos, companies like ones in your niche get a lot of these requests a day. Like a lot a lot.

If you have a decent YouTube following or are a very popular blog it's pretty easy. Just email Marketing with links showing who you are and they'll set something up. Anything of decent value they will more than likely want the items back. If you're a smaller blog or YT channel link them some posts or videos showing your personality or likability, they'll sometimes throw you a bone on some of their cheaper products. If it's a highly sought after item not out yet don't try.

Still doesn't hurt to try.

• Locked thread