Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I've been waiting around a bit for a new chili thread since the previous one was closed, but seeing as it didn't seem to be forthcoming, I decided to make one in order to obtain some tasty advice.

The chili that I've grown up eating was basically ground beef + spice kit + canned beans + tomatoes and whatnot. This is apparently not very good chili, so I'd like some advice as to what I should be going for.

Ingredients on-hand:
  • Ground beef (Tons)
  • Stew meat (Also tons)
  • Miscellaneous steaks/roasts
  • One whole chicken
  • Onions, garlic, bell peppers, other assorted vegetables
  • Something like four plants of small, unidentified, dried chilies
  • Spices (Just about anything; cumin, cayenne, fresh(ish) chili powder, etc.)
  • Canned tomatoes, chilies, beans, broth, corn, etc.
  • Dried beans
  • Other common foodstuffs

Something important that I've discovered in past cooking endeavors is that the people I'm cooking for don't seem to have much tolerance for heat... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

QBit posted:

Is the topic of starch pairings with chili as divisive as beans?

I prefer rice as the foundation layer to serve chili on, but that's probably because it's what I'm most used to. Is there a regional breakdown of preferred sides to chili like there are regional trends in other foods?

I guess it mostly depends on personal preferences, I haven't heard of rice or whatnot being too common in a region, but then again, I haven't traveled the world searching for awesome chili. If it's really spicy though, rice can be very good with chili.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So, I ended up burning a batch of chili slightly when I got distracted for a few minutes. I ended up putting some peanut butter in it and that helped a bit, but it was never quite the same. :gonk:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The one true chili recipe (tm) is meat + meat liquid + chili peppers. Anything else is insidious anti-chili.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm not really sure what people think when they write/cook recipes like that. "Yep, this is totally not slightly flavored meat-water." :psyduck:

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

THE MACHO MAN posted:

You could just also use a good bacon if you don't give a poo poo about health, correct?

If you don't mind your chili having a strong bacon flavor. Something that may or may not be a good thing to different people.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Whilst I wouldn't make it purely from hearts, heart does stew well and throwing some in a chilli would be good I think.

The perfect chili is 90% hearts.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So what are the differences between using your own chili powder as opposed to the paste made from dried chilies? I've always done powder but I am curious about this alternative.

I'm curious about this as well, what kind of flavor difference is there from ground chili powder vs. chili "paste"?

Syenite fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 28, 2013

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Walk Away posted:

I use a little mini-food processor for making chili powder and nothing else. Even after washing the plastic, the chilies can leave a flavor that you might not want in a smoothie, for example.

Nonsense, chili smoothies are the best smoothies around.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Disco Salmon posted:

This is from some time back in the thread, but I made this recipe last weekend for us and it was a huge hit. I ended up adding some beans to it because, well, in this family chili has beans :( Anyway...to whoever originally posted this recipe, thank you! It was wonderful and much enjoyed by the family.

Beans are pretty cool to put in chili in my eyes.

Unless it's made by one of those bastards that puts in what must be 12 cans of beans holy poo poo.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I often use ground beef in chili, and it is always delicious so..........

Also beans

Syenite fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 9, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
People going on autistic rants about how chili (1 'L') isn't chili (1 'L') because it has tomatoes and/or beans and/or ground beef is always the best thing about chili (1 'L') threads.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 10, 2015

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Much like pineapple pizza is very good, despite what naysayers might think.

Woah woah woah let's not say things we can't take back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Take a big-rear end needle, fill with chili paste, fill meat with chili paste.