Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

quote:

Bobby Flay :words:

I used to always think that he came off as kind of douchey in a good chunk of his early shows. I made the mistake of eating at his restaurant when I went to Vegas years back. I found his food to be generally bland, which surprised the poo poo out of me because he had a few good recipes back in the day. His show where he had other people on, can't remember the name of it for the life of me, was pretty good and seemed to show some personality in him but he seemed like a double dog douche in half of the throwdown episodes I watched.

I can't comprehend how or why he got all that play on Iron Chef America though. Was it the fact that he was on the original and people wanted to go against the weaker of the Iron Chef Japan tested competitors? Or did Food Network really just want to push his brand that badly?

It seems like Symon cooking and Alton Brown being :smugdog: is the only reason to watch Iron Chef anymore. I have hope for Zakarian, though, if only because of that Chopped Champions episode he was on where he ended up going head to head with Aaron Sanchez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

axleblaze posted:

He wins quite a bit but it's almost always in places where even he feels he has no right to win (like he won the cheesecake battle).

A quick wiki search indicates that he's only won about 25% of the episodes. Most are cake/desert or sweet items. It's sort of silly.

quote:

Iron Chef

I vaguely remember watching a special on the original Iron Chef in that they'd have the chefs wait it out and see who got picked each week. I think they taped like 4 or 5 episodes at a time to reduce cost as well. I also recall there being an episode where the Iron Chefs actually fought it out off screen to have a shot at one of the dudes that Kaga brought in from overseas. I could be mistaken on the last part of that though.

Frankly, I don't see the problem with them getting all the chefs together and making them wait. Most, if not all, are local. I think Michael Symon being one of the only ones without a NYC eatery.

I'm torn on whether I'd want to see Batali back in Kitchen Stadium, though. He's funny as hell, cooks up some drat good looking food, and brings out the raging italian national in me, but I think I'd rather see him get an hour long show ala Emril Live and enjoy the chaos that would ensue.

I also feel the need to thank the thread for the Tony Bourdain stuff. I always meant to watch No Reservations but never got around to DVRing the poo poo out of it. You guys gave me the impetus to watch an episode and now I need to see it all.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Chen Kenichi posted:

As for the bonus time I believe there was some concession given for the chefs due to the length of time for tasting (mostly if not always for the IC due to going second obv) so they could present their dishes in the proper way instead of after sitting for 30 minutes getting cold/warm.

I think it's different for the US and Japanese versions. The Japanese version seemed to have multiple plates done at the same time while the US version seems to be "get one plate done, make more later." Maybe it changed somewhere along the line and I don't remember though.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Ozmaugh posted:

I have to make ranch dressing from scratch!?!?!?!?!?!?

Goddamn but that face he made was almost as good as when it was tasted for the first time.

I'm actually quite interested in how this show turns out. If only to see what Coolio can come up with week in/week out.

PS~ You're an Iron Chef, you chucklefuck. You should know how much fish you need for a tartare. :frogout:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I, too, thought that it would be a wonderful trainwreck and felt pleasantly surprised.

Elliot Rosewater posted:

None of the celebrities can cook, none of the celebrities are celebrities, and it looked like hardly anyone showed up to the outdoor cooking event they had.

I'm gonna humbly disagree on that. Some of the celebrities can't cook, but I think that's the point. There were a couple dishes that had my fiancee and I interested though. Fatone's shrimp and Cheech's little burrito things standing out.

150 people also will look a lot fewer when spread out over that area.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Ozmaugh posted:

"...to tone down that overwhelming jerky flavor"

things we now hear on food network during a cupcake cooking contest.

I can barely stand watching the competitions anymore. It's gotten so bad with this rear end backwards focus on :black101:EXTREME:black101: gimmicks. Cupcake Wars seems to skirt that line but I just can't stand the judges half the time.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Ozmaugh posted:

Curious: this woman on Fat Chef or whatever not wanting to talk about her lap band is making me wonder how easy it is to just burst/snap it or make it fail. Do you really have to work at that, or is it something that happens more frequently than I realize?

As someone who works with people who've had Lap Bands done, making it fail is pretty easy to do. A 10 year study basically found that only about 60% of people go the ten years without the surgery being considered a failure. Mostly due to too low of a weight loss ratio, but you've got about a 15% chance of having it slip or various other complication thrown in there as well.

Basically people think that this surgery, like many others, is something that will magically make them thin. In reality, you still need to change your diet, exercise, and basically do all the stuff you should be doing from the start to make it all work out. The Lap Band is a tool to help you along the way, not the holy grail that will melt fat off of you as if you were in a Showtime Rotisserie.

I've yet to see an episode of Fat Chef but the commercials make me just kind of hate it. Dunno, maybe there's a good show in there somewhere but the marketing just makes me kind of hate it. I have friends who work in the food business, all thin as rails. The line they keep spouting about "the food's right there" just makes me feel my blood pressure rising. I hope they at least get these people to realize that it's not the food that's causing the problem, it's the habits.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I can't stand Bitchin Kitchen precisely for the character. She brings out the kind of nationalistic vitriol in me that I get whenever I hear about Jersey Shore.

All that being said, I hate that her recipes look so drat good. I wouldn't qualify Good Eats as High Food Art, but they definitely seem more like something I'd make around the house.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Ketchup is very much an american thing. I still remember sharing similar what the gently caress looks the first time I ate a hot dog while visiting family in Italy. Me with my ketchup, they with their mayo. I was so young and naive back then.

And then we discovered that mixing both was where it's at and lived happily ever after. 420 Fry Sauce erryday, etc.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

ARguably, it's Roman actually. It was originally Garrum, and things were added to it, and subtracted from it until it evolved into what we now have.

I was always under the impression Garum was more like soy sauce or fish sauce.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

ToastyPotato posted:

Amanda Freitag was on ICA last week and there was a shot of her taking a swig from a vodka bottle as she walked it to the chiller. This marks the second episode of a show in which a FN personality either associated with Chopped, or actually competing ON Chopped has taken a direct swig from a bottle they are using to cook.

I don't think she actually took a swig of it, though. If I recall correctly, Madison spun the bottle as he handed it to her and then she brought it up. Unless he corked it for her, spun it without spilling a drop and then she put it into the freezer uncorked; she didn't take a sip.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I'm kinda coming around on Alex, but yeah- I expected Marcus to win that one.

I found the fawning at the beginning of that episode to be a little ridiculous. Eh, whatever.

If Marcus can cook the way he did last night, Michael Symon is gonna have his work cut out for him.

I want to like Alex but... I just can't. Something about her attitude just rubs me the wrong way. She cooks fantastically but I just feel like she's absolutely insufferable to be around.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Since there's been a little Iron Chef chat:

New Iron Chef Episodes to Start Airing in Japan.

If the show is a shadow of what it was, it'll still be magnificent. :getin:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

osukeith161 posted:

Kobe-san! Make me some pasta. I had no idea. They are still using the same actor for Chairman Kaga? I would pay-per-view that poo poo at this point.

And the Ota faction was by far the baddest rivals of the Iron Chefs, but they were routinely defeated and I loved the chagrin of the fat leader in the royal box. And now that I typed that, Vince McMahon would be jealous of the theatrics.

Considering that the actor playing the chairman is still working on stage, in TV, and voice over work, I would hope so. The really interesting thing is that it's being called a remake and not just new episodes. I wouldn't mind if they kept the old format but found new Iron Chefs. I got the feeling that they have a better idea of what kind of chef the Iron Chefs should be after Nakamura.

Or burn it all down and start fresh with a new chairman and new Iron Chefs. Then the old chairman can come back as the leader of the old Iron Chefs for more faction warfare.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

gret posted:

Sakai lost to Ron Siegel in battle lobster. Pretty sure during that episode they mentioned that he'd lost other lobster battles.

He also lost a snapper battle for the 21st Century Battle special.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

CrushedWill posted:

Bourdain is a grade A douche bag as well. He has been openly critical of chefs that put celebrity over cooking, yet he has a media empire which includes books and TV shows. He recently bailed from Travel Network to try and get an even bigger presence on CNN. He is becoming what he previously despised.

He's not trying to sell his own line of kitchen wares like most of the celebrity chefs do. If wanting to keep your standards high on your show and writing memoirs makes you a sell out, I really don't know what to tell you.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Pretty sure one of them is. They're both established Food Network personalities, so it's better for one of them to be added as an Iron Chef than to bring in some new person. Plus, Alex is/was Zakarian's sous chef on Iron Chef, so she's got the experience.

What I'm saying is this show isn't so much a competition to find a new Iron Chef, as it is promotion for an already-chosen new Iron Chef.

I hate to get all :tinfoil: but this entire season kind of lost my interest since it seemed like they've had a heavy Alex bias in the episodes I've seen. I remember seeing her as a competitor and flat out saying it was all just for her to actually win it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

New Roster for Chopped All-Stars is up.

Is this the first time Scott Conant has cooked? How much do I need to bribe a judge to complain about uncooked onions to him?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

Just make all 4 ingredients in the basket onions.

Chopped Judge posted:

This dish is just missing something, maybe some raw onions, I don't know....

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm watching the ice cream episode now. Mike is either allergic to milk or faking it SO hard.

Both I and my boyfriend have lactose intolerance. If we eat anything with dairy, we'll get major stomach aches, sometimes cramps, nausea, and/or gas. Mike is claiming he's dizzy, confused, sweating..basically dying. He's either allergic to milk (and not intolerant) or he's faking it.

An allergy to milk is different than an intolerance. An intolerance actually gives you a sort of limit (for example, I can drink about 16 oz of 2% milk before feeling affects); an allergy would be a complete "stay away or you could die" situation.

Since he claimed he had an intolerance, I think he's faking it because those aren't really the symptoms. He'd have stomach issues, not dizziness and about to pass out. If he does have an intolerance, he ate way too much of that gelato during the initial tasting.

I don't know why I'm so upset about this but it's probably because he's faking everything else.

e: Also, he could've taken Lactaid or some other dairy supplement but they must've kept him from doing that as if he took one (or two, actually), he'd be fine.

I've never seen this but hearing about it, he's completely faking it. I can't think of a single allergy aside from seasonal hayfever that would make you dizzy or confused. Food allergies generally result in anaphalaxis, skin rashes, vomiting, gastrointestinal issues, etc. Not dizziness by a damned long shot.

I've got a mild nut allergy and even that makes me puke for a good long time. My seasonal allergies are what make me dizzy. Unless he's snorting milk, he's a lying fool.

Edit: Just got schooled by a doctor I work with and food allergies can rarely cause dizziness. So you're absolutely correct. He's either allergic or completely faking it.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 8, 2013

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I'm five minutes late turning Chopped on and Scott Conant is cutting up a red onion. What loving bizzaro world did I tune into?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Miss Kalle posted:

Am I the only one who's been irritated at the fact that every Chopped episode this season apparently needs to have some sort of 'theme' to it? Like, I can understand the mom episode, since it was aired close to Mother's Day and all. But we had an Australia episode, an all-women episode, an amateur episode (and holy poo poo, the 'ALLELUJAH!!' guy was annoying and I'm glad he got chopped first) a grilling episode and now we're getting a weightloss episode. Would it give FN an aneurysm to just take four random chefs and four random baskets without feeling the need to tie everything together somehow?

(and yes, I am aware that there's some precedent for the grilling episode at least, since they've done it a few times before, but it's just the concentration of all of them like this that just boggles me.)

I think they're actually going through a list. My wife saw open call for the amateur episode months ago and said I should sign up for shits and giggles. I remember looking at the sign up site and there being about 5-10 different "theme" shows you could apply for. I haven't watched much Chopped lately because I haven't had the time but holy poo poo it doesn't sound like I'm missing all that much.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I can kind of understand why she does it. She moved to the U.S. at the age of 7 and goofy as it sounds, it's really hard to let go of how you say some words, especially if you think everyone else is saying it wrong.

That's most likely exactly what it is. That's probably how she was raised pronouncing it and that's how she'll always say it. I grew up speaking a dialect from the south of Italy and my cousins from around Rome and I pronounce things different all the time. It's part of the language. There's the official way, the way your parents were raised saying it, and for those of us who's parents immigrated you get the bastard way we tend to say it due to our English vowel habits.

All that being said, she needs to stop butchering the damned word. It's not some rustic culinary golden cow. It's spaghetti.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Jamesman posted:

This morning, they showed an old episode of Throwdown. Remember that show? Where Bobby Flay would surprise someone known for a signature dish and try to make a better version of it? The person in this episode was the pie guy from Food Network Star.

The best part about it though, was that Bobby won. I best remember that show for how often he would lose, because really, he comes up with some dish on the fly to challenge someone who is an expert in making that same dish. But he beat that pie rear end in a top hat.

As much as Bobby seemed to lose, he always seemed to win at stuff he had to bake. Pies, cakes, etc, he seemed to always have a winning record. I got a feeling he took those episodes a little more seriously because he didn't let his "I can cook everything southwest style" get in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I'm still convinced that the only reason we had the last season was to get Guarnaschelli in. They should have just appointed her since that seemed to be their MO and she bombed out of the competition. God drat but do I remember that finale with Zakarian vs. Guarnaschelli to be horrible. And of course she became his sous chef. :jerkbag:

• Locked thread