Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

makere posted:

I just noticed that Gaming CX has 25716 subscribers in youtube and Battletoads has been viewed 78173 times :stare:

Not sure what to make of these numbers, except they seem kinda large to me.

Lots of other subbed eps are well into the hundreds of thousands of views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

the least weasel posted:

Why does that guy have Twitter at all if he only ever replies with snide one-liners

You're asking this about Twitter?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I wish Arino and Inoue could co-op Goof Troop or Chip n' Dales. Duck Tales would be cool, though, that music owns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_80PQ543rM

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Oh man, 60+ replies in a day, they must have subbed some awesome episode can't wait to

:negative:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

TemporalParadox posted:

Great contribution to the thread.

Stellar addition. Be sure to call me a nerd next time, you burn everyone deep with those retorts.

NBHS posted:

If it ends up on Hulu or Crunchyroll, it'll most likely be the subs. They have enough of an audience for K-Dramas and old postwar Japanese films from the Criterion Collection that it's not really a stretch. I can't say one way or the other for Netflix, though.

I'd be shocked to see dubs, really. Wish there was an avenue to let them know how people feel regarding subs and dubs.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 18, 2013

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Doubt anyone but Fuji TV was behind that.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Great segment. I love how people are mystified by his popularity overseas.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Azazell0 posted:

I was kind of wondering are they really that mystified or just hamming it up for TV. Especially that middle guy seemed like his whole schtick is to shout and yell loudly. I mean, surely they do some research on what to talk about with their guests?

But I did love the old guy looking puzzled the whole time going "I have no idea what you're talking about."

I imagine it's a little column A, little column B. In our little world Arino is king but in the vast sea of Japanese comedy he's nothing more than a medium-sized tuna at best. For him to be openly recognized in a foreign country is a huge deal and for foreigners to be drat near half his Twitter followers is another one that such an insular culture would be puzzled by.

"Ehhhhhh?" is a second-nature reaction for any Japanese person for well, anything, but in this case it really is warranted.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I think it'd be drat near impossible for the average American to name 2-3 Japanese actors let alone 5. Ken Watanabe is the most recognizable but his name alone isn't that well known and after that you're basically depending on them to know Toshiro Mifune, Sonny Chiba, or Beat Takeshi. Maybe there's a handful who could be recognized for their work as minor characters like Hiroyuki Sanada(The Last Samurai, Lost) or Chiaki Kuriyama(Kill Bill) but would have no chance at being named.

And then after that the only other ones would be Downtown/the Gaki crew for their batsu exploits or the chinko machine clip and then Arino. This GCCX thing is still a hell of a niche but it's a very dedicated overseas fanbase and thus makes him recognizable, even on a minor scale, which is more than about 99.9% of all other Japanese celebs can say.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Now that I think about it the most recognizable Japanese person to Americans is almost certainly Ichiro Suzuki.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

I wonder if Downtown would get some callouts here in USA. I mean, it seems like as many people get into the batsu games as people that watch GCCX. And a good bit of overlap between the two audiences.

Most likely, yes.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 1, 2013

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

That's understandable. GCCX has probably blown up like crazy in the last 2 years (especially due to the AWESOME efforts of the SA-GCCX team) And they managed to get an English DVD released. Which Downtown hasn't achieved as far as I know.

But Downtown has some of their videos floating around the internet for years, and don't forget it's not about just the batsu games, some of their other stuff like Absolutely Tasty can have quite some appeal. They have a ton of translated content. (http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/p/complete-download-list-page.html)

More people have probably seen the chinko machine clip and Jimmy Onishi counting to 100 than I think most realize. Those are 2 insanely popular clips and the chinko machine in particular is basically a top 5 "funny poo poo Japanese people do" clip you might find on some website's list.

And the reason Downtown's never seen non-Japanese media releases is because they don't care about it. They've repeatedly stated they make comedy for Japanese people and have zero interest in how popular the show is amongst foreigners and don't care about releasing subbed DVDs for gaijin.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Yeah. No one likes TVN's choices usually. But fortunately, this group apparently made the colors based off of the GCCX subtitle colors. So I guess it's in-between? Call me a purist, though. I prefer one style all throughout. Less confusing on the eyes.

It only seems this way because you're not used to it and frankly, GCCX doesn't have a lot of actual dialogue between 2+ people in it and if it is it's very call-and-answer. When they do GnT subs or other variety show subs it becomes necessary to sub everyone as a different color because there's often multiple people talking over each other and it can become very confusing to follow unless you're familiar enough with the voices(and sometimes with the language itself) to sort out who is talking without having a guide.

For GCCX one color is fine because again, it's usually only Arino talking and if he is talking with someone it's in a banter format so you can always tell who is asking the question and who is responding.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Keyboard Kid posted:

I really don't think multiple colors is necessary for any situation. It's always, always some weird ultra fan stuff. I don't think a lot of people can even connect the colors to characters unless they've been watching more than long enough to become familiar with voices.

You should watch Japanese variety shows. The Japanese themselves even make color-coded subtitles for certain shows or people just because it's easy to either miss the comment or be unaware of who said it unless they're being focused on by a camera.

For a show like GnT the color-coding is a very beneficial learning device for people to ease into the show. A color is always associated with a certain character and that makes it easier to process stuff in the early going before you learn the voices. Subtitles can move very fast and having to process context and other things while looking at white text when 4 different people are talking over each other can bog down a lot of people.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

univbee posted:

(which isn't helped by the fact that "chichi" can mean "dad" and "breasts").

VV This is also true.

Bless that line they made Fujiwara say a thousand times in the 24 Hour Tag game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

zari-gani posted:

There's no wordplay involved in that particular line. What he's really saying is chichi, yosemasse (乳、寄せまっせー), which means "[I'm] squeezing [my] breasts together." (I'm guessing the translator knew the words "breasts" and "come together" but didn't know they were supposed to relate to each other.) He's dressed like an ouendan male cheerleader, to go with the school gym theme, and he delivers the line in the way a cheerleader would. It's meant to be a bizarre cheer.

This makes more sense. I've always kinda been iffy on the quality of the earliest batsu subs because it really took some years for the community to really form and put together solid efforts towards proper translations.

And yea, anyways, they'd absolutely be that blunt when it concerns Fujiwara. Matsumoto goes out of his way every year to crack jokes st his appearance and he's put into ridiculous outfits every year.