Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

squeakygeek posted:

I think it's ironic just how well you illustrate the politics by making this statement.

I don't understand this post. What are you saying here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

When does it stop being

Trabisnikof posted:

Except make new farm land, grow different crops, build greenhouses, have a few million/billion people starve while the rich eat grapes, etc etc etc

Exactly. Humanity as a thing isn't going anywhere. Bangladesh on the other hand.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Solution to what? I have a feeling that some people wouldn't be happy so long as land use change occurs (unless it was changing land use to parks or wildlands).

I don't understand this post. Who are these people and what exactly are they unhappy about?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Arkane posted:

This is unironically exactly what is going to happen and it's going to be awesome.

Why would it stop?

Ladies and Gentlemen, Thankyou and Goodnight.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

If you talk about meat somebody will bring up their sister who can't process plant protein and if you talk about children somebody will talk about stupid hippies who care about plants more than people. How to get around this? Your guess is as good as mine.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Inglonias posted:

On a related note, I found this article interesting as well. It links to a National Wildlife Fund report about the psychological effects of climate change. Those aren't looking so great either.

Cool article, thanks. Turns out climate scientists are people too. Having reactions not unlike people have been in this thread periodically since the op.

quote:

“I don’t know of a single scientist that’s not having an emotional reaction to what is being lost,” Parmesan is quoted saying in the National Wildlife Federation’s 2012 report, “The Psychological Effects of Global Warming on the United States: And Why the U.S. Mental Health Care System is Not Adequately Prepared.” “It’s gotten to be so depressing that I’m not sure I’m going to go back to this particular site again,” she says, referring to an ocean reef she has studied since 2002, “because I just know I’m going to see more and more of it dead, and bleached, and covered with brown algae.”

Lise Van Susteren, a forensic psychiatrist based in Washington, D.C. — and co-author of the National Wildlife Federation’s report — calls this emotional reaction “pre-traumatic stress disorder,” a term she coined to describe the mental anguish that results from preparing for the worst, before it actually happens.

“It’s an intense preoccupation with thoughts we cannot get out of our minds,” Van Susteren says. And for some, it’s a preoccupation that extends well outside of the office. “Everyday irritations as parents and spouses have their place, they’re legitimate,” she says. “But when you’re talking about thousands of years of impacts and species, giving a poo poo about whether you’re going to get the right soccer equipment or whether you forgot something at school is pretty tough.”
It shouldn't be surprising, it's some scary poo poo and they don't really have the luxury of denial.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 3, 2014

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Or dump them in the ocean.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Randandal posted:

I don't think Arkane can be described as a climate denier as much as a climate skeptic. Two totally different things. Skepticism is always a healthy thing.

Actually they're the same thing.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Odonata posted:

Except out here in western Massachusetts every other house has a "Stop the Pipeline" lawn sign. People are pissed at the idea of expanding our natural gas capacity, even as our electric rates just shot up 40% due to a lack of capacity in the system. The Mt. Tom coal plant shut down a few months ago. Popular opinion has killed biomass, solar and wind projects. Even getting more hydro power runs up against opposition. In short, we demand safe, clean renewable power- just as long as somebody else has to look at it.
If the rest of the country is like my neighbors we'll just keep watching the old power plants go offline with nothing new to replace them until... back to nature, I guess?

Popular opinion can stop renewables but not natural gas?
E: can also stop nuclear but not coal, oil or wars perceived as related to them?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 31, 2014

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

So the federal government could overrule the nimbys tomorrow if it wanted to? Like it has with gas? It sounds like nimbys are allowed to stop renewables.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's the problem of votes, though. If a Democrat politician came through a neighborhood and was like "hey by the way, we're going to build a shitload of things here all of you deliberately voted down in location elections" you can bet there'd suddenly be a lot more Republicans in the area next election.

Like it has with gas?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

bpower posted:

"As inequality soars, the nervous super rich are already planning their escapes"

http://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2015/jan/23/nervous-super-rich-planning-escapes-davos-2015

These people have too much power with no accountability. Its absolutely essential we strip them of their power of we want to civilisation to survive. Yes, that means taking all their stuff by force.

I look forward to this making its way into the mainsteam consiousness, it's about time we had a new trope for villians. An American version of Let's get Skase, new COD DLC involves "renationalizing" assets from a US expat living in a compound in the dominican republic.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 27, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ccs posted:

I guess my issue is that consuming resources that are immediately available in order to gain more immediate comfort seems like a human nature thing and less like just a "capitalism" thing. Like, if humans lived for 1000 years I could see a venture capitalist going "It is not rational for me to extract this oil, because it will harm me while I still expect to be around to experience life. So I will invest in alternatives." But since the alternatives may not be able to ensure the same quality of life, and because human life-span is only around a century, we ignore matters that may harm future generations.

It would be unfortunate if I'm right, because while overhauling the economic system is incredibly complicated and failure-prone, changing human nature would basically be impossible with the time we've got left. So I guess our only hope is economic change, and see if human behavior is radically altered through this.

People are capable of the sort of long term planning required, it's just selected against by market forces. The first example that comes to mind is planting forests to be harvested generations down the line.
http://www.longfinance.net/groups7/viewbulletin/35-maintenance-planning-over-millennia-or-how-to-cash-in-a-forest.html?groupid=4

quote:

About 100 years ago the college authorities found that the 500 year old roof beams were infested with beetles and needed replacing. They called in the College Forester and asked this worthy if there were any suitable oak trees on the rather extensive college-owned lands. His reply is supposed to have been “well sirs, we was wondering when you’d be asking.” Upon further inquiry it was discovered that when the college was founded, a grove of oaks had been planted specifically to replace the beams in the dining hall when this eventually became necessary. Successive generations of foresters had passed on the knowledge that one day the college would come knocking for wood.

On closer enquiry it appears that there may have been an element of poetic licence in the telling of this story. It was normal practice for mediaeval foresters to plant oaks alongside the faster growing hazel and ash and to accept that it would be a hundred years or more before the oaks would be harvested for use not only in roof beams but also in ship-building. 

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 5, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The senator with the snowball lol. Inhofe is such trash.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So...are humans about to go extinct? I'm 22 now, and I have trouble with this, and the realization that my life may end with intense starvation and thirst experienced by all other humans on the planet. I read reports on how we're doomed, no one is going to acknowledge it, and within this century we'll just die out. Are these just from the pessimists, and there is real reason for hope and belief that, while things will be bad, humanity will survive, or am I just fooling myself and it would be better to just die?

If you're in the first world you'll probably be fine, on the whole. Depending on how young you are you might live to see some very interesting times before you croak. I wouldn't want to be a member of the post-millennials.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How likely is near-term human extinction at this point?

What's the smallest number you can have that isn't zero?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

So are you arguing that it is better to not adopt kids from the 3rd world because if you do they might consume more?

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Batham posted:

At least for me it has nothing to do with wanting children or not. It has everything to do with some posters seeming to treat children as a single derived negative number instead of a collection of variables, variables that can be both helpful and not.

Because of that, simply giving "don't have children" as advice to just anyone feels like an enormous simplistic and pessimistic look at the footprint number of children. If you choose to go down such a blind and extreme route you're coming off as hypocritical to seemingly not advocate the other extremes just because they are in your comfort zone.

This is wrong and why people are making fun of you.

Hello Sailor posted:

Lookit this guy who think genes are important when GMOs are already a thing.

Also, https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption. It's perfectly possible to raise a child that you weren't involved in conceiving, something that seems to have escaped Trabisnikof and the rest of the Drax Cosplay Circlejerk Circus.
My partner and I plan on adopting, if we can ever afford it. :ohdear:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Awkward.....

Which axis is insurance company activism?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

The whole not have children thing is pretty hilarious, even by D&D standards. Do you guys live in the real world? Sure, some people will not have kids willingly, for a number of reasons related or not related to climate change. Good luck convincing a sizable amount of the population to follow suit. You have everything from societal norms, to religion in your way before you can hope to get anywhere. Greedy or unreasonable as it may be to some of you, many people put a fairly enormous value on passing their DNA on, a lot of evolutionary bits there.

Again for emphasis, people are not logic processors who will just see not having kids as some simple logical solution to a long term problem. Remember, this is a problem many are not even aware of the severity of which. Hell, many simply refuse to believe it. I sympathize with the posters who think the future generations will have a miserable time of things, I agree. That is enough of a reason for myself to be hesitant, but that is a minority view most will not seriously consider.

Edit: if you want a miracle fix that is almost equally dillusional, figure out and implement a framework to shift international government policy towards carbon neutrality irregardless of cost to wealthy nations.

You're really against a thing nobody has argued for and you're smug about it.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Arkane posted:

I was highlighting the fact that Vice presented a study out of context to make it scarier, as an example of political views clouding the science.

I never address you becauses lol what's the point but, No, You were using a vice documentary to try and prove that posters in this thread would be upset if climate change never ended up happening. You slimy piece of poo poo.

Durr people tell me to gently caress off when I tell them science isn't real ergo they must be an apocalypse cult. For my next trick I'll poo poo my pants.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Arkane posted:

You're frothing at the mouth over me pointing to a Vice episode as an example of political opinions skewing science? Might be time to calm down a little.

Nobody is frothing at anything. You're a disingenuous piece of poo poo because you pointed to it as an example of people wanting to accept climate change is real out of an apocalyptical desire and who would deny accepted science if it ever swung against them.

Arkane posted:

There is such a political element to this debate that the science gets lost in the shuffle. So would there be people who would reject the science if it were pointing to an okay future? Yup, and this thread is a testament to that.

It's the laziest and most transparent bullshit.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Arkane posted:

Yes I think it is a great example of fetishizing climate outcomes for political ends. Another example would be duck monster's posts in this thread. Paraphrasing one of his posts, "the hiatus doesn't exist because it is getting warmer in Australia." I mean if you're telling me that people aren't completely committed to climate change bringing an apocalypse, I'd say click on page 1 of this thread, buckle up/secure all small children, and then start reading.

And you still sound really angry for some reason. Did I insult your mother at some point or something?

"You secretly love climate change."

"You mad bro?"

You're good at this.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Seeing danger on the horizon, Wisconsin dons a blindfold.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Arkane isn't a paid shill they're just really stupid, jfc.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Is there anything to recommend to read that goes into how a technologically capable hunter-gatherer civilization of the future might look like?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zombie #246 posted:

Can we please start to talk about what badass post apocalyptic outfits we'll have, I'm going with a tire on the left shoulder and a breastplate with a faded nuke symbol embossed on it

I'm going to print out and wear an outfit made of all good posts made by forums users "computer parts." I will be naked.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I had to explain all day, every day that we got all the pumpkin we could, nobody had any, and we couldn't get any and no I won't check in the back, I'm serious, we don't freaking have any pumpkin. It looks like global warming is a component of it, if not outright the cause, but all people do is blame the store.

Come on, we know you keep the good ones out the back for you and your friends.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

WaryWarren posted:

Greenland is melting away

Some award winning page design from the NYT, if nothing else. :eyepop:

You were not kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Radbot posted:

"Skyrocketing downward", that's a new one.

If you look at everything upside down it makes perfect sense.

• Locked thread