Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

eh4 posted:

Re the Watts-Muller hoohaa: Crikey reports that neither scientist had their studies peer-reviewed and went publicity-hunting before even publishing. Our own village idiot Andrew Bolt even claims Muller was never a sceptic. Hilarity ensues.

All that's left now is to dig up skeptic's public support for Muller when he first started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Hedera Helix posted:

It appears the eastern seaboard was getting jealous of the methane seeping out from the Arctic Ocean, and has decided to get in on the action:

For what it's worth the estimate is these are seeping ~90 tons per year which is a drop in the bucket compared to everything else. It's not really worth getting worked up over especially because it doesn't stay in the atmosphere for that long.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The problem is that we don't have time for baby steps.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
No comments about the new agreement between China and America?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
What I'm troubled by is that saying 'our emissions will peak in 2030' can mean there's a whole lot of pollution still in the pipeline. I wouldn't even call it a victory like it's being hailed as in the press.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Claverjoe posted:

On the other hand, older, and cheaper AGM batteries have more tolerant operating ranges and half the self discharge rate... at a cost of weight and volume, but who gives a poo poo when you are looking at a static application? Dude is betting on the power of marketing to blast past those obvious drawbacks. Doesn't mean that he won't succeed, but it does mean it looks like pouring mercury down your junk instead of taking antibiotics to cure the syphilis.

He already lost his bet. He believed they'd be able to pull the cost of their cars down enough to enter a mass-market and began building the batteries pre-emptively. Now he's stuck with all these batteries and trying to find something to do with them.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
http://www.ktoo.org/2015/09/09/coast-guard-cutter-healy-reaches-north-pole/

A US Ice-Breaker has reached the North Pole unassisted for the first time

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 10, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

mdemone posted:

Emissions tests are done by elevating the car and running the front wheels only. The VW system detected when the drivetrain was only running the front wheels, and did…something…to reduce engine emissions drastically. Like maybe the diesel part was temporarily disconnected, I dunno. But anyway that's how the car was able to detect that it was being tested.

The unbelievable balls this must have taken. I wonder how high up the chain of command that decision went -- as a CEO, shouldn't you be paranoid enough to imagine that someday, somebody's going to catch you out on such a simple trick?

I imagine this was an 'open secret' among the German manufacturers and I really won't be surprised if it turns out the German gov't was in on it too.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Banana Man posted:

Hi I'm just now learning about this, are we as a people prepared for the changes?

If you want a summary of the thread so far just read the thread title.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

CommieGIR posted:

This is asinine.

Not really. Actually just this morning I was wondering how much effort it'd take to be able to reign in a hurricane. Now I know

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Your Sledgehammer posted:

The other day, I stumbled across a pretty awesome video that covers the majority of the issues that our fossil fuel based society faces in the coming decades. Lots of detailed information presented in an entertaining, easy to understand format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMWzjrRiBg&feature=youtu.be

Sort of disappointed that this video entirely handwaved away breeder reactors as a failure neglecting to mention that said failures weren't technical but entirely political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Squalid posted:

Millenarian christian? Use an argument about our responsibility as Stewards of God's creation. Libertarian fanatic fearful of an expansive government? Maybe you can't convince them of the need for more regulation, but if you can get them excited about the latest Green Economy tech start-up they might start paying positive attention.

Yeah a study was done that showed if you couched it in terms like 'sticking it to the Arabs by achieving energy independence' WAY more people were on board.

• Locked thread