Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Timeless Appeal posted:

War Rocket Ajax has a podcast up right now with Ben Jones, director of Batman: Brave and the Bold. He shared a failed potential episode idea:

I've never wanted anything to exist more than this.

I dunno. It seems like the Coyote came from a cartoon world and was cast down to the comic book world. Going cartoon to cartoon doesn't have that punch.

They could have done a fun one with the Arkham and Psycho Pirate stuff from near the end of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Different strokes. Not everyone is going to like the Avengers, but it is one of the best Marvel animated series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nilbop posted:

That looks ... spectacular.

Amazing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It was decent. Cyborg was included pretty nicely. Kind of reminds me of what Dwayne told me his JLA would be like if DC didn't micro manage the book to death. He wanted all the big guns, and one of his characters (either Static or Icon I assume) to be the point of view character.

It wasn't any better or worse than your average Justice League episode.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Is that what that was? I was just happy that they gave her some sort of ethnicity.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They probably wanted to avoid any Dick Rider jokes, and the comics is probably using the same character because they think Nova works better as a younger character instead of Dick Rider the Super Nova Prime.

EDIT: You guys almost had me worried. Ultimate Spider-Man was tons of fun! A lot of great characters, and plenty of humor. Kids are going to love this show to pieces. Bravo, Marvel! Thwip thwip!

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 2, 2012

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's not like Power Man and Iron Fist were bastions of maturity anyways. Nova started as a teen hero, and nobody cares about White Tiger.

Does anyone have any kids that they watched the show with? I'd really like to know what the target audience thinks, because only seeing adults analyze a kids show is always kinda weird.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Zen surfer is a pretty good personality for him. Each character has their own distinct personality that I think will gel well. We also have Jameson, Fury, Coulson, May, MJ, Flash, Harry, Norman, Connors, Octavius, Stan "the janitor" Lee, and probably a few more I'm forgetting. Hell of a cast so far.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's not a terrible theme. Kinda grows on you. Isn't it the kind of poo poo kids listen to these days?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Love that one of Wasp as Captain Universe. That's probably the most bad rear end thing they could possibly do with Janet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I won't lie - I always, always thought it was dumb that an immortal god would be chilling with these guys. I'm sorry, there's just no way around it. Even using the ever-popular D&D definition of god where they're just levelled-up immortal heroes.

Why? What could be more entertaining than hanging out with super heroes? Plus he likes helping people.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm making my way back though my Justice League dvds and I had forgotten that the Eclipso episode ends with the Flash throwing a wormhole generator at the sun after running to it on a space road Green Lantern makes.

It's basically the silliest thing I've ever seen.

If you could sum up Silver Age DC it would be with that image. There's a Heroclix figure of Hal and Barry doing pretty much the same thing. Only in comic books can you find something so wonderfully absurd.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Haha. Bendis' first episode, and the introduction of Wolverine to the series, is going to be a sort of retelling of the Jump the Shark storyline from the Ultimate Spider-Man comic.

I had a feeling that was going to happen, and I'm glad my hunch was correct.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The Avengers thing isn't surprising at all. I'm sure a Disney exec caught some of EMH season two and found it totally inpenetrable. Animation has gotten much more manic these days, preferring quick gags to methodical plotting.

Oh well. As long as the kids enjoy it, I'm not going to argue. EMH has probably been my favorite Marvel show, and I've seen nearly all of them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Why not? He has a good power, he's hispanic, and he's from Detroit. Most of all he's an original character, and not just a rehash of an existing one. Not that I don't love the characters you listed, but the smart money goes to Vibe. Maybe they'll bring back Citizen Steel and team them up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

TheHan posted:

Static can fufill two of those requirements at least. Of all the minority superheroes with electricity powers why does nobody remember Static...

Vibe doesn't have electricity powers. I'm sure Geoff Johns took Vibe as a personal challenge. I'd like some more Static, but we see how his last series turned out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Well true, but considering that we've seen 1) the reboot is not generating significant numbers of new readers and 2) Vibe and the entire Detroit League were so reviled, it surprises me that DC thinks he should get a push.

But then, DC's made a lot of decisions lately that I just don't get, so maybe it will work.

It was Geoff Johns' idea. It's the logical extension of his "You think character X is a joke? I'm going to make you like him, and there's nothing you can do about it!" philosophy. I bet he's going to flip the script on the Detroit League and make them like the New Avengers to the Justice Leagues Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I know some people will think this is weird, but I think my favorite Martian Manhunter was written by comedian Patton Oswalt. J'onn was a cop that hung out with the main characters firefighter father, and knew all along that he was stowed away on the JLA's moonbase.

Welcome to the Working Week is one of those JLA stories that doesn't get talked about enough, like Heaven's Ladder.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He's a horse/robot/alien Thor that has an excuse to be in space all the time. After reading Kirby/Lee's later issues of Thor, I find Bill sort of unnecessary. Thor can do cosmic just fine.

People mark the gently caress out for cosmic characters.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Realism posted:

Anyone have any info on the next Batman/Superman movie?

If they already done Public Enemy and Apocalypse. The next one has to be Absolute Power right?

Don't tell me they're not doing that one cuz it's too "dark".

That will piss me off

That's my favorite arc, but it's way too insane to be animated. I don't think we'll ever see any more of Loeb's S/B. It's nice to see someone else appreciate it though!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Srice posted:

While the EMH version of Spider-man was pretty bland, I would take that any day over the incredibly unlikeable manchild version of him in Ultimate Spider-man.

Man child? He's a teenager, more child than man.

And the clusterfuck plot of EMH is probably why they're canceling the show. Disney wants a show for kids, not for man children like us.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

TwoPair posted:

How is the plot a clusterfuck? I'm not trying to be hostile, but I genuinely think it's pretty easy to grasp.

Probably not the best word for it, but I don't think the show is hitting it's target demographic like it should be. I love EMH, but catering to an older audience probably shouldn't be the show's aim. I'd rather see something that will hook the next generation, than something that will cater to mine.

I remember Dwayne McDuffie explain to the person in line before me that it was ok not to like Ben 10 because it was meant to be a kids show.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just finished watching DKR Part 2, and it was truly amazing. Keep an ear out for Frank Welker doing his Real Ghostbusters Ray voice as the mayor of Gotham. Conan O'Brien was a nice bit of casting as well.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'm excited. Flashpoint had a lot of fun ideas, but got too caught up in all the tie ins and continuity re-writing. It will all be worth it if they include S.H.A.Z.A.M., which I'm disappointed didn't carry over to the New 52.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wasn't the stomach sinking to testicles line from Batman Year One? I still argue that it's a real feeling. Like when you get blindsided by the worst news you've ever heard.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Conroy was the Batman of Zur En Arrh in the The Super Batman of Planet X! episode of Brave and the Bold.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

He was created in a time when most superheroes were the exact same character aside from powers and costumes.

Barry Allen was total whitebread, while Hal was the kick rear end space cowboy. Test pilot was as cool as it got back in the early sixties. If he was created a few years later he would've been an astronaut.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

FutureBoy posted:

There's the classic fight between him and the Champion of the Universe. Don't ask me where it was though.

Second episode of Dexters Lab has pretty much the same story, but with Thing replaced with the Monkey, and the Champion replaced by a blue Champion in a luchadore mask voiced by Macho Man. Also, it's kind of strange they're called the Justice Friends, but they're all takes on Marvel characters.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

The Fantastic Four cartoon had such a bad theme song/intro that it pretty much turned me off the whole show (not that it was great to begin with)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XggH5-vLlUQ

DON'T NEED NO MORE

I think we mentioned before that the second season of the FF cartoon was ridiculously good because they adapted a bunch of old Kirby/Lee issues of Fantastic Four.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Am I allowed to enjoy the Ultimate Deadpool episode of Ultimate Spider-Man? It was drat funny.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

They wish they could hold a candle to the majesty of the 60's cartoons.

Never seen a single episode, but I like the idea of Agents of S.M.A.S.H. Kind of reminds me of Nina Turtles, or at least Street Sharks. Plus, there's always room for Devil Dinosaur.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Seeing Damian animated was the only shred of joy I could find in that movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

That is an incredible amount of spite on CN's part.

Somebody probably lost their shirt because they thought any Batman cartoon would mean guaranteed toy sales.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Loeb with creative control over Miles... at this point I fully expect some sort of murderous rampage by Bendis by the end of the year.

You know that Bendis wrote a couple episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man, right? Might get a couple more now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Now I just want to see Batman in Gemworld.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Yes. Spider-Verse Team Up #2 has Spider-Man from the Ultimate universe team up with Spider-Man from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon to rescue the 60's cartoon Spidey. The world and characters look and act like they would from the old cartoon. It was pretty drat good actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's a one and done story. Also check out Edge of Spiderverse #2 and 5 for Spider Gwen and Gerard Way's anime Spider Mech. Both are pretty drat great.

• Locked thread