Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Absentlife posted:

Imo the Noble was the best looking of the three. The Lamborghini is a breathtaking car, but I think they went a little overboard with it. It's way too wide and compared to the other three almost vulgar. I still think the Gallardo is the best looking from their line up.

On the other hand the McLaren looks way too "safe". Looks too generic for a supposed super car

"Almost vulgar" is a perfect description of what a lamborghini should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I got the impression that the whole car chase bit was them being subversive. It was like a pantomime, where this movie (which they were probably told to big-up and make look exciting) is supposed to be a Serious Production, but everyone knows it's just going to be a laughable caricature, so they just piled on their own caricature on top. And the "final edit" was Top Gear saying "this is what a polished turd looks like". Am I reading too much into it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Payndz posted:

Turns out the bit with the jam of learner drivers was staged, which didn't surprise me for some reason - but the bit with the schoolkids running after Jsmes in the Ferrari, they insist, was real.

well, yeah, that was pretty obvious. It would be too convenient to actually run into something like that while filming. But it is a (slightly exaggerated) thing that you can and do run into fairly frequently... Driving schools parallel parking on streets like that, being boxed in on streets like that, having to reverse out of the way to let someone past, etc. If they had enough time and film, they would have found themselves in a similar situation eventually, just driving around.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You Am I posted:

Driving through London during the middle of the Olympics, dodging SAM sites :)

not a race so much as a challenge; how far can you get down the M4/A4 Olympic lane before you get fined. In the slowest road legal vehicle possible.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 13, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You Am I posted:

It was the same reason why The Young Ones used to have a musical act during the show, it meant that it got recategorised as a light entertainment show, rather than comedy, and got more funding that way.

The Young Ones had funding??

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

And Shell gas is what makes Ferrari's so fast!

You'd think so, but F1 cars use fuel that's nearly the same as pump gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_car#Fuel

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/08/how-close-is-f1-fuel-to-road-car-fuel/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

I hate it when I hear someone say "Coop" instead of coupé. A coop is where you keep chickens.

Check out my mad coop, bro!

"chicken trucker"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cached Money posted:

The Huayra was amazing, I need to try that out some day, seems like the most amazing car to drive ever.

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SpannerX posted:

Well, yes, I do want more reviews of cars that normal people might buy. Sure, the super/sports cars are all well and good, but there is now way in hell I'll ever own a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Actually, I'd like to see them tell everybody the cost of maintaining those hypercars. Granted, if you can afford that new Pagani, you're not going to worry about how much it costs to keep it running. It would be interesting to know.

From a purely AI perspective though, the supercar reviews are useful. Because in 20 years when an Aston V12 Vantage Ultimate Super Edition and an AMG DoppelBlack is worth less than %10 of its original value and can be bought from a shady used car lot in the bad end of town and gas costs more per kilo than cocaine, you can look back at those reviews to help you decide which is the wiser investment for your hard earned kid's inheritance.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Hmm, the SIARPC is quite good this week, if you usually skip it, I'd give it a chance.

her voice could put you to sleep. She could be telling me exactly the precise steps I need to accomplish to save my life from impending doom and I'd probably tune out and start thinking about anything more interesting like how chip board is made or what that dark stuff under my fingernail is. I don't even remember what their her and Clarkson were talking about.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Golf money for the Toyota? Hell, the Vauxhall Corsa, in VXR Nurburgring form, is £22,380 before you look at the options list.

I think you just answered their question about what car yobbos will drive now that the impeza is gone.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

he probably would have won if he'd taken the Eurotunnel. Honestly, who takes the stupid ferry when the tunnel gets you across in 35 minutes?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You Am I posted:

Because then he'd be on a train, making the race invalid :colbert:

The Stang looks great, and sure it copped a bit due to its NVH compared to other Euro/Japanese. Clarkson slammed the Falcon GT in a newspaper article for the same reason, even throwing in "it can't corner" which is something the Aussie built muscles cars could do compare to US models.

I don't see much of a difference between the ferry and the train, other than the obvious 'one is a boat, the other is a train'. You drive your car up a ramp, park, then drive out the other end when you get to the other side. In fact the ferry is more like a passenger train than the eurotunnel, because you can have a wander around and purchase a selection of snacks and hot and cold beverages onboard.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

You're a monster. She's adorable, her accent is adorable, and she has fantastic taste in cars.

counterpoint: she's boring, her accent is the same as the one they use to sell you stuff you're not interested in on the telly, she's owned several Audis.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I love how after each new episode, this thread can be summed up by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7PkWE

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Presto posted:

Eh, that's a range of 384 miles of highway driving (24 mpg EPA estimate). Of course, that's not at whatever speeds Clarkson as driving, but you still should be getting a drat sight more than 140 miles. I wonder if he wasn't cruising in.... top gear.

Does the epa test on road or simulated on a dyno with no air resistance?
In any case, other than the bit of road construction, even without speeding the entire trip across France would have been done at a sustained 80mph (130kph) which is the speed limit. That would significantly affect fuel consumption; the mustang doesn't look particularly slick aerodynamically.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Data Graham posted:

And how vulnerable is the lidar turret to a single sniper?

My guess is less than the head of a real driver in the front seat.

Besides, an rpg round to the front of the truck is more likely and more effective than someone camping in the hills waiting to take out supply convoy with a single rifle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

it's gonna be a Dacia. It has to be.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The peu is pronounced peuh, like un petit peu, s'il vous plait. In British English that ends up coming out a bit like 'peur' or 'purr' (or more accurately, puhh, because brits don't voice their r's (non-rhotic)). Geot is like joh, with a soft j sound (closest I can think of in English is 'Hajj', but some people probably pronounce that like 'Hadje')
the British pronunciation is probably closest to the French, as imagined by a British speaker. The main difference is that the Brits put the emphasis on the "Peu", whereas the French put the emphasis on the "Geot".

http://translate.google.com/#auto/en/peugeot

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sincx posted:

I believe Kanye West was the first to come up with this Hyundai-Sunday-Super Bowl connection.

Nah, it goes back to when they first started importing to North America in the 80s. I remember cheery ads for Hyundai Ponys or whatever in Canada where they told you that it rhymes with Sunday, because stupid roundeye couldn't figure out how to pronounce it I guess.
I guess they never ran that campaign in Britain though, they must have realized the futility of trying to tell a brit how to pronounce anything.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I liked the taxi race, it was like watching me play Gran Turismo, only for real!
That Mono and Ferrari are incredible, and it finally looks like Ferrari has remembered how to make a pretty car.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

So the Brits consider it British, and everyone else sort of disagrees, but can't be arsed to do anything about it?

the people who live there consider it British, and the country next to it sort of disagrees, and nobody else really gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Lamborghini found out the hard way with the Miura it had to go in the middle. When it wasnt busy spraying gas onto the exhaust manifold and exploding, the front mounted gas tank would become lighter as it got empty lifting the front to a point where steering turned into a mere suggestion rather than a command.

I also kind of got mad at James for not going into the crazy detail that the Singer has to offer and explaining why it cost so much aside from the man hours. Such as every little fitting and linkage plug and wire was completely professional race grade. (IE the 30,000 dollar wiring harness)

if he had, Clarkson would have forcibly cut him off for being a boring anorak.
Besides, a $30k wiring harness isn't going to be $30k in parts, it's going to cost that much because you have to pay an engineer to design it and a professional builder/installer to manually assemble it.