Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

CornHolio posted:

The super-long Vette actually doing the slalom had me in stitches, as did the ghetto popemobile. I think, overall, it was better than the TGUK limo episode.

Yeah, I was pissed when they basically just stole the ideas of TGUK (for the first 2 limos), but I do think I ended up laughing more at the US version than the UK version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Vivec posted:

So, apparently there's 16 seasons of top gear on netflix, what are your guys favorite episodes? I usually just watch the show when it's on TV and have no familiarity with the show other than enjoying watching it.

The polar special, all of season 10, and the south american special (s14e6) are all great.

EDIT: The Economy race (s12e4)

EDIT 2: Attempting to destroy the hilux (s3 e5 and 6)

EDIT 3: Amphibious cars challenge (already been mentioned, but S8e3 and s10e2)

EDIT 4: The race to the north (train vs motorcycle vs car, s13e1)

EDIT 5: Ok, this is getting stupid. I'd just watch it straight through. The first few seasons aren't great, so if you wanted to start on season 3-5, that would be ok, but I'd just start from the beginning. That way you have more to look forward to, instead of just cherry picking the best episodes.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 14, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

nmfree posted:

No, it was staged like pretty much everything else that they do.

They swear up and down that it wasn't. Whether or not you want to believe them is another conversation, but they have stated, on the record, that that really happened.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I know this isn't the Fifth Gear thread (I doubt one exists), but I wanted to point out that this season has been pretty solid. In this most recent one, Tiff races in a Lambo sponsored race against professional drivers, and does quite well. FG having a racing driver with a personality does give them some flexibility to do some things that TG can't. It's still a worse than either TGUK or TGUS, but I do think this season has been decent enough to watch.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

Top Gear UK is totally played out. I loved the show through series about 12 or 15. However, the trio seems completely lifeless and bored with what they are doing now, hollow caricatures...of themselves. "Oh god I have to hammer this 3 billion pound hand made jalopy around our track. How dreary." The show desperately need some new life breathed into it. Absolutely fantastic - until it wasn't.

I can't even bear to watch Top Gear US. A complete abomination to intelligence and another notch in the belt of American Culture.

There were definitely some weak series in the 12-16 range, but in my opinion, the newest ones have gotten good again. Not quite series 10 good, but worth watching.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Yeah, really great special so far.

I assume they were referring to a Richard Hammond hosted animal special when they were joking about Hammond seeing animals that no one else could see. Anyone know what that was?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I decided to start from season 1, on season 4 now.

You're in for a treat. You've gotten beyond the seasons where they were figuring out their formula, and starting to get to the very good stuff. Season 10 is my favorite.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I thought that was a great one. Hot hatch reviews are always good, if only because I might actually own one some day. The SIARPC was fun, and seeing the America Cup boat was really cool. I enjoyed watching Jeremy beat the crap out of the rental car too.

I'm really surprised people didn't like it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The Fiesta ST is great. I got a chance to beat on one this past weekend (along with the Focus ST) and had an absolute blast with it. We had 4 of the (supposed) 12 Fiesta STs in the country. It won't win you any drag races, but it'll lift a tire in the corners and put a big smile on your face. Don't forget that the US version is getting 2 more doors and 20 more horsepower.

I'm very interested in hearing more about this. I might be in the market for a car in the somewhat near future, and both STs are really intriguing to me. Have a favorite (or any other impressions)?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

You Am I posted:

After watching this week's episode I really want a Focus three cylinder.

They do look tasty!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Clarkson's timing with "Maniac!" was amazing.

I've found myself saying that when driving now.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I made his shepherd's pie (although as Matt mentioned, I used beef instead of lamb). It was really good, and quite easy. I'll probably make this too, because James May.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

sean10mm posted:

The old Mercedes Grosser vs Rolls-Royce repair cost comparison was pretty funny too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GFNxvauy28

"What'd they do, buy you a Golf?"

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I'm rewatching some older TGUKs. In s7e3 (Supercar road trip), they start out in studio with Jeremy's Ford GT. I've seen it before, but I'm pretty sure I noticed something new this time. I think there's a blue tarp under the GT, presumably to catch fluids leaking out of it.

It's hard to tell exactly, but that would be very funny if it were true.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Normal Person posted:

Not a tarp. That's a light bar underneath the car, which is how they often presented cars in the studio.

Ah drat, you're right. I guess they would have mentioned it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

88h88 posted:

Country roads like that are certainly nerve wracking. At night it's not that bad because at least you have headlights to spot barreling down the lane towards you. Daytime though? Yeah good luck with that. A friend of mine lives out in the countryside and the lane up by him has had huge 5ft deep ditches dug out either side of the single lane road to aid with flood protection and gently caress me is it off-putting.

Shout out to Irish country lanes where every driver you meet coming the other way is living the rally car driver dream and going 90mph everywhere because they know the roads.

Yeah, we went to Ireland on vacation when I was in high school with my family, and no one would sit in the front seat because we were all convinced some rally guy would slam in to us coming the other way.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I couldn't pay attention because they were all so sunburnt.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

wolrah posted:

Happy to see that but still annoyed that it's even news or that it's still partially restricted. This is a show being paid for, produced, and distributed by an internet company using the internet. There was never a good (for consumers, not for useless middlemen) reason to have any regional limitations at all. The assumption for modern digitally distributed content should be a simultaneous worldwide release.

It's hard, even for Amazon, to launch a hugely popular, 4k show (so a ton of bandwidth needed) around the world, especially in places where prime video isn't available (so they don't have infrastructure available). I'm sure they'd rather launch it simultaneously, but at some point, if the stuff isn't ready, you just have to go.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I enjoyed it also. The celebrity bit was bad, and I didn't love all the set up/explanation of things like the new track and the driver. It felt a bit too much like a live show, but the hope is that a lot of that goes away after the first episode. I was a little worried that the visual and sound design would suffer a bit as the new team got accustomed, but both were really good (although I missed the BBC's music license. The music was a bit generic).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

New Episode is out

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I'm so excited. As my brother called it, the most riveting, fascinating boring show ever.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

New Episode is up

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

It's also how they killed the original stig

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Budgie posted:

I like to think Hammond was just observing everything he ever wanted to say about Clarkson in this clip.

That'd take way longer than 9 seconds.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

net work error posted:

Well new Top Gear started again and honestly, it's not terrible!

Yeah! It was helped by the fact that Ethiopia seems absolutely amazing, but that was a very good episode of Top Gear.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Budgie posted:

What episode of TG did they find the roadkill cow and then asked "How do you... peel it?"

S09E03, the America special.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I was surprised to hear how negative the reactions were here. I didn't think it was A tier classic stuff, but for late grand tour, I really enjoyed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I make it a point to watch anything James May is in, regardless of how dumb it sounds.

To that end, Our Man in Japan is top rate. Lots of prime James May laughs (worth it for the robot episode alone imo). Our Man in Italy is fine, but definitely missable.