Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I wonder if they were under some sort of rules about not driving in certain areas or something. For a Top Gear Special there was very little driving. I think that is what hurt it the most was a utter lack of them in the cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DarkPrime posted:

Are the episodes on the DVDs the same as the ones that aired, or are they the edited down with different music versions like on BBC-America and Netflix?

Same as BBCA/Netflix.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
God Will I AM or whomever he is looks so silly.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think the car chase segment would have been better if they actually took the job seriously. The bits where Jezza was explaining the bits about the camera systems and whatnot were very interesting. Sometimes when they goof off with things works better (the one where they try to fix the road for example), but in this case I believe a more straight approach would have been the winner.

All in all though it wasn't a awful episode, the weakest this series for sure but still better than a lot of the awful episodes the last few series.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
That ice track looks awesome. So far much better than last week.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
They are replaying a film from the last Top Gear DVD?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ariza posted:

They had Adam Carolla for a minute but they took too long so he went and did that other terrible car show. He owns a bunch of nice cars and does amateur races so he's at least competent at driving. I think it would've been much better with him instead. Watch Fererras stand up and you'll see he's not very good at anything.

Yeah Adam wanted to do it but by the time History got their act together he was locked into a sitcom that never got picked up.

I know he is a divisive character but I can't feel that he wouldn't have been a better choice as a host. He would have been the perfect US Jeremy Clarkson.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Data Graham posted:

The first time they took the carloads of brand-new stuff from Home Depot to the "tip" and deadpan tossed it all in, I missed whatever they said for the next two or three minutes from laughing.

I love that it was all stuff you would use to kill someone and dispose of a body with.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Vindolanda posted:

Bloody, bloody good one tonight.

Yup the ending had me tear up a bit. All around good episode this series was a little hit and miss but they killed it tonight.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The strawberries thing is very much a LA high end thing. For whatever reason in LA they love putting strawberries are decor. You check into a high end hotel and there are strawberries, get you cleaning with strawberries.

It is a odd thing and I have never seen it anywhere else. Also strawberries and very common in the US where in much of the rest of the world it isn't, especially the UK. It is like peanut butter or maple syrup, you won't see it anywhere but the US.

The cheese thing is probably a better joke and less inside baseball. I can't believe what Americans will put cheese on.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Alighieri posted:

I want that alfa, the disco volante. I will give up everything to have it. Also enjoyed the new outside camera angle that faces in from the windscreen.

I agree wholeheartedly. That car is the sexiest thing I may have ever seen. I have listed after various cars over the years but that thing is on a other level entirely.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Wow the first half of the Burma special is fantastic. Not as much silly as the last couple has been. I think this will rank ultimately right behind Vietnam for the best special they have ever done.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Clarkson tweeted that this weeks was just "ok" but next week is going to be "something special". As if I couldn't be any more excited.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Wow that was pretty epic. I totally lost it when Bridge over the River Cock happened.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
drat. As awesome as that looks to be I was really hoping for more Man Lab.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

open24hours posted:

If nothing else hopefully this raises the profile of lamb in the US. Lamb meat best meat.

Nonono it is like this:

1. Pork
2. Goat
3. Lamb

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Here is the thing, while the BBC might be offering what is a obscene amount of money for them, pretty much every other player out there is likely offering the same if not more money to all of them along with other perks like owning the show and having a piece of the merch.

I think this might be a case of the BBC realizing that they killed the golden goose and are trying anything to come out of this in good shape. They know May and Hammond aren't going to resign with them but they can throw out a big money (for them) offer and leak it to the press. In their mind it looks like they are the good guys and the Boys are being unreasonable. Honestly it would be the best for the BBC to just let the Top Gear name rest for a bit and then bring it back with a new format. You can recreate the wheel so don't even try.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

They were goofing on Chris Evans since he said he was filming a secret Top Gear project on a TV interview the other day.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

drunkill posted:

Yep, I wonder if they'll do TV deals for worldwide distribution, otherwise it'll be a very pirated show, which the BBC didn't mind too much because of how they got their income.

In the WSJ article they said that they will be making local TV deals for countries without Prime Video access.

I wonder how much Amazon spent on this, you have to imagine it is a astronomical amount of money since iTV, Sky and Netflix all have deep pockets and wanted them badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

hopterque posted:

Probably more money than the rights to any tv show in history, by quite a margin.

But it'll be absolutely worth it to them, especially if they actually want to make prime streaming a competitor to netflix.

I always considered the Prime streaming a nice little bonus to the meat of Prime which for me is the 2 day shipping. Although honestly the only thing I have ever really watched on it has been Alpha House which is absolutely fantastic.