Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just a reminder: US Top Gear comes back tomorrow night (1/29) on the History Channel at 9pm (EST).

The guys are going to find cars they drove in college and take a road trip through Mexico.

Thanks! I never watch that horrible channel otherwise so I would have never known that was coming back. Hopefully they keep the changes they made last season, tightening it up to just the stupid competitions. As for the original version, I laughed like mad every time his face slammed into the visor of his awful transformer car. Do they do anything to let the other cars know they're filming while on the crazy busy roads or do they just hope for the best? I still think this was less terrifying than Jeremy's gigantic camper (I can't remember what the Brits call them) on the highway blowing him all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Keep in mind that the TGUK guys have been car journalists for decades. Clarkson and May have been doing it since the 80s, and I don't really know when Hammond started. They've had years and years to perfect their driving. Tanner has been racing his whole life, so he's good at that. Rutledge reported on racing, which didn't require driving a car. Adam is a comedian which for some involves never even owning a car. He may own lots of cars, but that doesn't mean he gets a chance to drive them at the limit. They seem to know a lot about cars they have owned. Rutledge knows a lot about volkswagens, Adam knows a lot about GM landbarges. They should have found people who had more automotive background.

They had Adam Carolla for a minute but they took too long so he went and did that other terrible car show. He owns a bunch of nice cars and does amateur races so he's at least competent at driving. I think it would've been much better with him instead. Watch Fererras stand up and you'll see he's not very good at anything.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

So maybe Seinfeld?

Sadly, I have to agree that Adam is the weakest link. Rutledge has this goony persona and Tanner is all "POWAAA!!" like Clarkson, except actually capable and less offensive. The show could do a better job of using them, certainly, but it's only Adam that doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table.

Seinfeld has more many than Jesus, so I couldn't see him doing anything where he didn't have complete creative control. I think they need someone that certain people find offensive like Clarkson. It's much more interesting than the presenter's milquetoast personalities. Even with all of it's faults, I will continue to watch Top Gear US because it does keep me entertained for an hour once a week.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I hate TGUS because they're filming right now on the Skyway in Buffalo and I hate traffic. If I had known that's what was going on, and it wasn't Florida hot out, I'd have tried to harass the fat one instead of swearing and getting lost.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

OptimusMatrix posted:

I was dying when they got stuck on the tree and it came through the window. Because I'm pretty sure that wasn't faked and it was hilarious as hell a whole drat branch came through the window.

That happened to me about twenty times when I decided to go canoeing for the first time in the Everglades. I looked exactly like them, bouncing back and forth into trees and spinning in circles.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Simkin posted:

Somehow it just felt kind of flat. There wasn't any real sense of drama, just the three of them driving cross country in brand new, expensive supercars. None of the 'challenges' were particularly taxing or even all that exciting. Usually I'm of the "gently caress it, it's better than Motorweek" mentality, but they could have at least done it in old/cheap/dubiously reliable supercars, or something improbably small. :effort:

The tunnel challenge was about the only interesting part, and even that didn't manage to convey a very good sense of 'holy gently caress I'm doing 250km/h in a tunnel with lovely, frost-heaved pavement'

Pretty much this. The stadium race was way too fake. I really don't like Vipers. I did enjoy the Amish bit because I've spent a lot of time around them and I know how much they like cameras and sports cars. Dolph Lundgren seemed too weird to be staged, but they might just be clever. I'm happy they stuck with the no star/straight competition because those are always the best bits of TGUK. I usually skip past the SIARPC segment completely nowadays.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

pik_d posted:

So did Adam really break his arm in that truck last week? I thought it was a gimmick then but with him still having the sling I guess it's real?

He fell down:

Adam Ferrara on twitter posted:

Adam Ferrara ‏@adamferrara 19 Nov
@smoke14jr88 i fell and separated my shoulder ...drat gravity

Adam Ferrara on twitter posted:

Adam Ferrara ‏@adamferrara 19 Nov
@jaccat365 it was windy

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

mustard_tiger posted:

Making fun of Americans is funny for British people, it's really not that hard to grasp.

I prefer when they make fun of Mexicans.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

mustard_tiger posted:

Seriously, I find it really amusing to see (what I presume are) Americans getting butt hurt over a couple nonsensical jabs.

I don't think anyone got butt hurt, but some people were genuinely curious as to what he meant by "strawberries on everything" because it is nonsensical and they were wondering if it was based on anything. I prefer when they make fun of Mexicans because it seems quaint when they do it, like an American making fun of Eastern Europeans.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
You can always just go inside and pay with a credit card. They won't ask for your zip code there and you can help stimulate the local economy with some coffee or a Cheezy Jalapeno Rollup.

edit - well poo poo murphle

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Gasoline and whores are the only things I prepay for in America.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ola posted:

Mods, are there not rules in place to prevent posters using twitter screenshots as touchés when they themselves have favorited them?

Can you explain this sentence to me?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

If you gave me overhead switches for everything and a starter button in the shifter like on the SLR McLaren, I could drive literally anything and feel like a cross between James Bond and a fighter pilot.

My dad's old work van had overhead switches for the electric windows. It was completely nonsensical and totally awesome.

I used to have one for my sub so I could turn it off in residential areas. I'm now a grown-up but I'm trying to figure out a reason to rig something up to them. The windows sound like not the best idea.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Take the third Reich. :ughh:

I hope that 58 minute long James May bike maintenance documentary is real.

That was my thought too. I would watch it every night to help slow down the brain, just like with Bob Ross now. He's great for long form perfection.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Zmup4TfVg

Oh to be a rich man in the Middle East.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Wonker posted:

My favourite was James's reaction to that comment - didn't even feel scripted!

I think a lot of it isn't as scripted as people make it out to be on here. I'd imagine they script the major points, but they let the guys play off each other a lot as well. I don't think every word that comes out of their mouths is part of an iron-clad script.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Private Eye posted:

Sorry guys I don't think there's anything in this one. We don't use the word slope as a slur over here. You'd use it when something has a slope in it, like when you'd literally build a bridge with no knowledge of civil construction, and it had a slope in it.

Are you sure they weren't purposely using a racial slur from another country to get around the censors? I need to feel outraged as often as possible.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I think what he said is horrible. Even if he didn't actually say the word, the sentiment was still there. I think he should not receive another cent from the viewing public.

I think what he said is not horrible. He's an old man and he didn't actually say the word. They hired a loving forensic speech expert on their own dime so it's obvious someone just had an axe to grind.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

While I agree with this for the most part, it's just as dumb as John Stewart claiming that because the Daily Show is on Comedy Central, it should just be viewed as comedy. Both of them, especially Clarkson due to how viewed his show is around the world, are on huge shows who are seen by more than just people who see them as comedy shows.

The BBC is technically governmentally sponsored programming, so when you have Jezza being a racist (and his schtick is, whether he is or not. Or gently caress, James the colonial and Hammond the modern yabbo hating the foreigners whoever they are, mexicans cough cough), it is obviously going to offend someone.

I still love TG but any of you denying the fact it's a bunch of middle aged, anti-modernization guys, jerking off about super cars; are out of your mind. They poo poo on anything that isn't made by a white person from the EU and even if they give props to an Asian car, there's always some snide comment.

You are insane or have a very selective memory. They make fun of Americans and Europeans far more than anybody else.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly, giving those cars thousands of miles and putting it through hell and back would probably only increase the cost simply due to the fact that it was on Top Gear and driven (and potentially customized) by one of the hosts.

I'd pay top dollar for Oliver, even though it went underwater.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
A ranch the size of Connecticut? I like that they're still editing everything.

edit - Who is that guy and why is his face so loving shiny?

Ariza fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 18, 2015

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

keevo posted:

We're getting Top Gear USA vs Top Gear UK! :getin:

Are they going to make Tanner race the Stig?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

So how is everyone's Sunday going?

Is this going to be simulcast all over the world today? Does that mean BBC America?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

pik_d posted:

My TV listings show it as a 90 minute block on Monday night

I thought they said something about it on that long interview posted the other day and Clarkson said "take that, pirates!"

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
American interest in the ute died with the El Camino. Subaru made that awful looking thing a decade ago that always make me chuckle when I see them because of the terrible 90s color schemes.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

T1g4h posted:

I'm pretty much convinced I'm one of the only people alive who genuinely likes the Chevy SSR. And I can never explain why I like it, just that I do.

I worked at an auto auction a decade ago that had a few of the first ones and they went for a ridiculous amount of money. I thought that bode well for them but then they went the way of the Prowler.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

KillHour posted:

The thought of scared people huddled in their tank-cars expecting every stranger to kill and rape them sounds absurd, but makes way too much sense when you think about the cars people drive in America.

Then I think about all the other things people here do and say, and I suddenly realize why there are so many paranoid bigots.

Then I get pissed off and want to ram people of the road and beat them to death with the spoiled brats they call children.

So in a roundabout way, they're right!

Are you drunk? What time is it in Britain?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Will Smith was hilariously unprepared. He was just bullshitting his way through that entire interview.

Innate charisma is a wonderful thing. Sparkly eyes and a nice smile help too. It was good though. Too bad that movie will probably end up being garbage that's quickly forgotten.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Yes, it's Captain Slow versus one of the very fastest road cars in history, Italy's 950bhp petrol-electric masterpiece

Sunday's show also sees Richard pit the new Corvette against Porsche's Cayman GTS, a battle of American muscle against German precision!

Should be good!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So today is Agent Scully and the Velociraptor. I'm pretty stoked to see if that thing is any good.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I thought you guys were supposed to be tough.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

I seem to recall that when the reviewed the Escalade in season 4, they openly said its a car for black rappers.
They basically said, its a terrible car, but we totally get why black people like it.
Where was all the outrage?!

That was years ago before impotent boring people realized they could feign outrage and feel like they had power by getting people into trouble (see people's glee on this website at getting normal people with families fired for a tweet to their 7 followers). The backlash has started I think, so hopefully they'll go back to crying in the corner like they used to.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

sean10mm posted:

I feel like there is some bizarre cultural gulf here because as a non-Brit well on the left, getting so spun up for so long over what's fundamentally a comedy built on old buffoons driving in circles is in all sincerity the stupidest motherfucking thing.

They should be more like Americans. Chris Brown beat a girl broken and most people still love him. Michael Vick went to prison for dog fighting. As long as you're not diddling kids, you're still welcome (so the opposite of the UK).

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Just then I was acting concerned about your opinion. Inwardly I was caring about the fact it's 3AM SUN here and I've got to process all my tax info Sunday evening in order to meet with an accountant on Monday at 9AM.

You've obviously got an ax to grind with the show, so you probably should go do something else. It's one of the most popular shows in the world based on the hosts, not because it's about cars. If you think replacing them wouldn't tank the show then I believe you're being willfully dense or slave to your weird hatred.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I wonder if the government will put some pressure on the BBC. Ignoring the PM's friendship with Clarkson Top Gear is the biggest advert for a positive view of Britain we have. All around the world in places you would normally expect people to burn the Union Jack they love Clarkson, Captain Slow and the Hamster. I expect they are the only BBC presenters that would get complete access to the entirety of Iran for example.

Loosing Top Gear would hurt Britain's international image. Just think what people all over the world now think of the Argentineans after the Patagonia special?

Well yeah, but he said a mean word once and almost did it again once. Plus he may have punched somebody. You can't come back from that, even if you're one of the biggest stars on the planet.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

That AutoEvolution article a few posts north was updated that May confirmed the show being dead? Where did that come from?

I'm hoping it's just a bargaining tool for next month, but I'd prefer it goes out for Jeremy being an rear end to it just slowly fizzling out. They all have to have more than enough to do whatever they wish for the rest of their lives and the other British networks will let them make whatever shows they want.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I've never understood where that one comes from. Is it a holdover from opinions formed by Americans over here decades ago, before there was NHS dentistry? Or just reflecting that the UK tends not to go in as much for almost fake-looking whitened teeth (Hammond excepted, of course)?

The second part mostly. Everyone on TV (from cartoons to shows seemingly showing people from thousands of years ago) has exceptionally perfect teeth because we spend thousands of dollars to make it so. It's a bit odd, but we're fatter than most countries so we need to make it up somehow.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Scherloch posted:

London cabs driven by foreigners smell of sick, says Clarkson (according to the Guardian).

This is some tabloid level reporting. I always thought the Guardian was a serious, somewhat left-leaning paper, not a some clickbait shithouse. I mean, I know they hate Clarkson, but now they're just being willfully (I hope) dense in order to be offended. It's on the same level as the people who get all, "You calling me an idiot?" when you tell them that something they said or did was idiotic.

It looks like a HuffPo/Gawker copy for rich white people, full of garbage articles to reinforce their beliefs and give them something to tut tut. Maybe they were a decent paper at one point, but then clicks drop so they turn to yellow journalism to get people to look at ads. It's a race on all sides to the bottom as far as internet "journalism" goes.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Everyone who has posted more than 10 times in the last 48 hours: go jump in a river or lie down in the street somewhere. The world will be a better place without you here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, it was Doug Stanhope and Joe Rogan. Doug is one of the most aggressively horrible human beings alive and Joe thinks Bigfoot is real and believed the moon landing was faked for a long time.

You're very dumb and probably shouldn't comment on comedians anymore, as it's obvious you have no idea how they function.