Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Two Finger posted:

Does anyone know the episode where Clarkson is reviewing a supercar that is so easy to drive anyone could, and then it shows a dog driving it?

Season 12 Episode 1, Gallardo LP560-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Sormus posted:

I agree, if it was hazard flashing when hard breaking they would be more evenly timed and not as rapid. Also not sure if they should flash when "parked":

I suck at optimizing/compressing gifs so i'll only link it
http://i.imgur.com/2F4TP.gif

That's the standard "oh gently caress I'm a supercar stuck in the now" blink, actually.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

kombatMedik posted:

I loved seeing the Stig drive the Morgan around the track. That was awesome to see him spin it into the finish.

Stig looks so pleased with himself.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CornHolio posted:

I love it for so many reasons. Is it even rear-wheel drive?

It did a donut, didn't it?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

djdanno13 posted:

I only remember him trying to do a burnout (elevenses) with a Cadillac STS and almost crashing in the ditch.

That was a CTS if you're talking about the American episode where they had a CTS/Vette/Challenger.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

2ndclasscitizen posted:

He's no worse than Clarkson.

Clarkson has a little more variety though, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Range Rover, and in most cases Mercedes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ColHannibal posted:

That interview quells all "get someone who knows about cars" arguments.

To me it was more Clarkson just asking all the obvious questions "haha this thing you did was soooo wacky and this other thing and that thing and all these things. Oops times over well there's your lap off you go."

Clarkson made that a bad interview, not Kimi.

Rest of the episode was good though. I enjoyed the Slash interview and while I wanted the rallycross segment to be even longer I looked back and it took up a full 1/3rd of the episode.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 13, 2012

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Vivec posted:

So, apparently there's 16 seasons of top gear on netflix, what are your guys favorite episodes? I usually just watch the show when it's on TV and have no familiarity with the show other than enjoying watching it.

Either start with the 1st season or never watch it at all.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

drunken officeparty posted:

I have never cared about cars at all, but I saw an episode of Top Gear a week ago and absolutely loved it. I blew through Series 17 and am halfway done with 18. Are the early seasons as good? I know a lot of shows don't get into their stride until later on and don't really want to waste my time starting from the beginning if they are going to be bad.

I've seriously learned more about cars in the last week than I have my whole life. There's still a lot of stuff I still don't get (what the gently caress is a brake horsepower) but I'm tryin. It ends up taking me 2 hours to watch a 1 hour episode because I keep pausing it to go look at wikipedia. I might even try to change my own oil this week :v:

Season one and to some extent two were not really the same show as everything after them. They were way more serious and season one had some fat guy that did nothing interesting ever instead of James. I'd still watch them (first, going back to them makes them seem worse) but season three on are all fantastic.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CannonFodder posted:

So basically they are missing Australia and Antarctica for continents they haven't trekked across. Australia has their own Top Gear, but that hasn't kept them out of the US.

They could go to New Zealand and drive cars worthy of hobbits, I guess.

They've been coming to America for years now, and I think Clarkson popped down to Australia for his low-budget review of the BMW X6.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

They came from topgear.com:

nmfree posted:

I can hardly wait for January 27th! :derp:

wha...what? They filmed trips in 'Murrica and Africa? :aaaaa:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Measly Twerp posted:

Why the gently caress didn't they get out of the bus and walk that 50m?

Assuming "they" is the passengers as nothing else makes sense, did you even read the link you posted? It specifically states "killing driver" and "It is thought he had unloaded his 50 passengers before attempting to negotiate the deadly road."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

KozmoNaut posted:

Explain to the nice people in the thread why you think it isn't a hatchback.

It's a 3-door hatchback. The only exception is the convertible, which has a trunk lid that folds down.

Jeremy Clarkson and James May said it's not a hatchback so it's not a hatchback.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

G-Mach posted:

Are any of those three real car journalists? (Covering NASCAR doesn't count.)

Why doesn't covering NASCAR count?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Aargh posted:

There was an ad in Australia "All day, every day, high oon day"

And there was an add in the US during a Super Bowl that said "Hyundai, rhymes with Sunday". This is all too confusing now.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Eat poo poo ClarksonEngland :fsmug:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I was surprised that Jeremy didn't say anything about the name "Mono" given how he goes off about ST whenever he reviews a Ford hot hatch.

I have to say though that I enjoyed each segment, even though one of them didn't even have a car. Maybe the fact that there were four segments (not counting news/SIARPC meant that none of them went on too long.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I just realized one of the hovercraft's fan blades is missing:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Sir Tonk posted:

Was that before or after it was fished out of the boat ramp? And that was the first iteration, so not all that surprising given its performance.

It was right before they drove in.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Apparently a lotsome people got mad when they found out that Top Gear staged the bit when their hovercraft ruined a bunch of peoples lunches. Other people then called the first set of people stupid.

The Mirror posted:

Top Gear fans claim viewers "stupid" if they didn't realise 'faked hovercraft stunt' featuring actors was a set up

Actor blogged about how extras were brought in to play outraged observers - and captured footage of repeated attempts at stunt

Top Gear fans have reacted angrily to claims that a stunt on last week’s show was faked, tweeting that viewers would be stupid if they DIDN’T think the show contained elements that was staged.

Newspaper reports have today claimed that scenes showing presenters Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond leave a trail of destruction along the River Avon as they piloted a home-made hovercraft took several attempts to film.

It has also emerged that actors were booked to play extras for a scene where diners at a riverside restaurant in Warwickshire were left fuming after being drenched with water by the customised Ford Transit van.

Michael Bott, an actor who has appeared in TV shows such as The Bill, wrote in his blog on his how he was hired to play one of the outraged observers.

Describing his two days of work for Top Gear as “his silliest job to date”, the 58-year-old explained that he was not the only thesp brought in for the stunt.

He said: “By the riverside is a very nice restaurant with windows overlooking the Avon and a decked balcony for outside dining.

“I meet the very nice producer and my fellow talent for the day – two girls and a gent – all pleasant and relaxed. Chairs and tables are arranged, close to the river bank. We are now diners enjoying a peaceful meal.”

Adding that “a serious reality check is often needed” for such “beyond bonkers” capers, the RSC and National Theatre veteran also captured footage of other attempts at the feat by Jezza.

A spokeswoman for the BBC said: “I think Top Gear viewers are intelligent enough not to have been taken in.”

Some fans on Twitter agreed - and insisted that it was 'obvious' that the hovercraft exploit was set up.

Trainee solicitor Lloyd Rees (@Lloyd_Rees) wrote: "You were stupid if you thought it was real".

The video that tipped off the angry people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynPbN0v-sHw

Source: The Mirror

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Is France really the only country that doesn't watch any British made motoring shows? It seems really weird that they wouldn't but the rest of the segment was pretty serious so I'm not sure if it was a joke or not.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

So did Adam really break his arm in that truck last week? I thought it was a gimmick then but with him still having the sling I guess it's real?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

opengl128 posted:

This was posted then deleted from Clarkson's twitter.

Can't wait for the new season

I can see why he'd delete it. It'd tarnish his reputation if people saw him on public transportation.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Cojawfee posted:

So, Top Gear US?

Top Gear US would have been one long hot hatch segment interrupted only by commercials for F-150s and shaving cream, then a short supercar segment with POOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that Tanner would drive.

I thought this episode was pretty awesome, the scripting didn't bother me at all. Looking forward to the P1 next episode.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

OptimusMatrix posted:

The P1 is the one car I've been waiting for since it was announced for Top Gear to test. I can't wait to see the cinematography for it.

I feel like it'll easily go top of the lap board, I wonder by how much though. Then I wonder if the LaFerrari will beat it assuming they get their hands on one

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

a primate posted:

I love the 4C but I have a soft spot for Alphas. I'm most looking forward to the P1 though. Should be interesting to see it shred it's tires. I can't imagine why they didn't go AWD with it - to save weight, I guess?

It's Alfa, not Alpha.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Because 4wd cars are boring and fail. Essentially the opposite of what an alfa should be. Argh.

The P1 isn't an Alfa Romeo, it's a McLaren (which also shouldn't be AWD).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

FogHelmut posted:

Alfa made of plastic - innovative weight saving design.
Corvette made of plastic - ghastly American design.

You Officially Get Top Gear. Congrats.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

EvilMoFo posted:

I can't even remember when I saw a gas station that wasn't prepay. What loving decade/part of the country are you living in?

Where do you live? I hardly ever see them in North Carolina. I mean there is an option to do so with cash, but there's no requirement to do so.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ApathyGifted posted:

I live in North Carolina, and the only gas station I know of that isn't pre-pay only is the one that I have a tab at because my family has been getting gas there since before cars were a thing.

Which is awesome. I drive up, gas up, drive off, the guy at the counter knows my car. Get a hand written bill for the full tab once a month, which I pay for the next time I get gas.

Your sample size seems rather suspect if that's it. I've been around our state plenty and cannot remember the last time I had to pre-pay.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Propaniac posted:

I think maybe there's confusion here between "places that force you to prepay" and "places that force you to prepay WITH CASH, ie no credit-card-at-pump option." Does anyone disagree that practically all US gas stations are the former and almost no US gas stations are the latter?

Ah, I guess I got caught out by Clarkson making the point that you don't know how much you want when you pre-pay in America. That would, of course, be classic Clarkson to be completely making up bullshit to make a "point".

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

triple clutcher posted:

I'm usually pretty good at suspending disbelief/being clueless during the scripted parts, but watching Hammond 'pilot' the 6x6 over the sand dunes was cringeworthy.

*Hammond screaming in truck with stationary background*
*truck flying off a sand dune*
*truck rolling down sand dune*
*truck driving onto onto level ground*
*Hammond talking about how scary it was while driving away*

That didn't happen though. They slightly messed with the camera angle to make the steep dune look a bit steeper, but I didn't see any of what you're talking about, and I just re-watched that segment to check.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Kenshin posted:

Top Gear needs to get their hands on the Koenigsegg One:1 and do a shootout with it, the 918, and the P1.

And the LaFerrari

pik_d fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 6, 2014

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

You Am I posted:

And a Morris Marina

Bought sight-unseen, from The Internet

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ColHannibal posted:

I liked the season and all but it cant be over, there was no P1 or 918 on the track.

They said that would happen sometime in June or something.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Cojawfee posted:

New top gear us was pretty good. Off road vehicles near the grand canyon. Ended kind of abruptly though.

Yes but where IS the pilot taking them?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

VodeAndreas posted:

I think I've only watched the first season of Top Gear US, what's a good place to try out the more recent stuff? Should any episode from the newest season be a good starter?

Hopefully you're watching it now, but essentially they dropped the segments that they were bad at by Season 3 so it's one big long challenge. From then on it's good.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Powershift posted:

The big problem with top gear US is they try to make it about the personalities, which the hosts completely lack. They just blandly recite poorly written lines.

I dunno, seeing Lou Ferrigno own Adam just now made me really feel the schadenfreude because he does a good job of making me dislike him.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Data Graham posted:

Surprise! Tanner gets the Ferrari in an upset nobody could have predicted! :vince:

He won fair and square :colbert: Besides, Adam might actually kill himself in that car.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mister Kingdom posted:

Anybody catch this week's Top Gear US? Jesus, that was awful. I'd rather have watched MotorWeek.

I don't like this opinion. Personally I'm enjoying the weekly trio-do-a-challenge-then-Tanner-drives-a-cool-car thing they have going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Stig is making a return on Top Gear America, I wonder that all that's about?

:siren: Top Gear America is moving to Sundays at 10 PM in future episodes :siren:

pik_d fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 9, 2014