Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The latest episode with Danny McBride is a lot of fun, and McBride is way more likeable than his roles would have you believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Neal Brennan totally called Marc out on his poo poo on that live episode. He absolutely does talk down to some (Younger) comedians whether he realises he's doing it or not. It's great to hear someone do it but it's a shame it gets brushed to the side.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I really liked the Seth Green interview, he's a lot smarter than I assumed he would be, particularly on journalism issues post 9/11.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Excerpt from the upcoming episode, featuring the hosts of Uhh Yeah Dude. Uhh Yeah Dude rules so you should listen to this episode and that show.

Oh this is awesome. It's already better than their appearance on Jordan Jesse Go or whatever it was.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

That's not weird at all. Some people can write, some can produce and some can act. Some can to all or some of those. Acting, even as a character named Marc Maron, is very different from the director telling him to just act like himself.

You really come to appreciate Eminem's performance as 'himself' in 8 Mile when you see 50 Cent try to play 'himself' in Get Rich or Die Trying.

Acting is acting, whether you're playing a version of yourself or not. It doesn't just come easily. For the record I thought Maron started a little stilted but got better.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I liked that interview with Pegg. Maron was oddly prepared for once and he also avoids the thing a lot of interviews with Pegg have done and that's just focus on his friendship with Nick Frost. I'm sure Pegg appreciated talking about himself for once.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

Isn't he straight edge because his parents are terrible, abusive alcoholics?

His father was. He told a story once of how his Dad would pick him up from School or something and just roll the window down and just throw up while driving. Punk was upset because he thought his father was ill but once he realised it was down to the booze he said it was enough to put him off anything like that.

Him disowning his family is nothing new to hear about. He moved in with his other 'family' from a pretty young age. The fact that he's actually had to have a sort of restraining order taken out against them is crazy though.

The Edgar Wright interview was great. Wright is usually always asked about movies so it was good to hear him talk about his personal life a little more.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jippa posted:

Yeah mike myers is amazing. Genuinely nice/funny guy.

Except when you work with him, and then he's meant to be horrible.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

I agree Mord. As a big fan of classic Loveline it's nice to get an update on how he is doing and listening to him being quite open about his early days.

Curious as to why you dislike him from his pre-reality tv days!

I was a fan from his loveline days, though I think he was a little narrow minded. However his early book is pretty fantastic, the rot set in when he decided to be a celebrity doctor.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Linklater and Paul Thomas Anderson interviews were great.

Also, Cosby refused to do the show because it had 'gently caress' in the title.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

What Marc said is not really anything to get pissed about.

Agreed. But I think it's the second time Maron has thrown shade at Miller now, and I did read something which said that Miller was just loving with Maron to annoy him rather than being genuinely pissed off with him.

However, it will make a great episode if he gets him on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

JFC posted:

The thing that was so bad about this, and what got a few other comedians mad at TJ, was that he started live tweeting the actual jokes that Dane was working on, not just talking poo poo about him. Lots of headliner comics pop into clubs to work on new material and as a consequence other comedians have to wait for them to finish before they can go on. Unless its Dave Chappelle who will drop into a club and do two hours, its usually only 10-20 minutes of a comedian working on a premise or two, fine-tuning them to take on the road, for a tv spot, or for a special. Any hour special or late night talk show you've watched where a comedian has performed, they have bumped a lesser-known comic in a club to refine a bit or get the timing down for a tv spot. It happens and is accepted. To bitch about it can be understandable, but to tweet the actual content of a work in progress is a really lovely thing to do.

Even if it was Dane.

You could even take this into a discussion of west coast versus east coast comedy and how the clubs and comedians themselves are different, but that's a lot to talk about.

Yeah it's pretty much something that every comic does to try out material. Chances are if you hear about a comic meeting their idols they'll always tell a story about how so and so showed up that night to do a set and just went on at like midnight or something and yes, it's always at the expense of someone else.. It doesn't matter who the comic is, livetweeting their in progress stuff is something to be frowned upon. I mean Cook is still an rear end, but it's like why bother ripping the piss out of a work in progress?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Harry Shearer interview was great. He's a testy fellow but he isn't afraid to tell a story. His time on SNL sounded like a nightmare.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Oh yeah of course Shearer is a dick, he just seems to have accepted it and I think it was refreshingly honest to have someone talk about their lovely reputation and just say that yes, I am a pain to get on with. He strikes me as someone who's probably a perfectionist, which is why SNL sounded like a nightmare for someone like him, and seems to have a bit of a chip for anyone he thinks has hosed him over.

Guest is a pretty dour fucker himself so I can't imagine what it's like to be in a room with them both. Poor Michael McKean.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I felt like Marc could barely contain his disappointment that Hayley Joel Osment was not some hosed-up former child star. He seemed like a nice down to earth guy who had good parents.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jippa posted:

I think it just makes for a really bland interview most of the time unless the person is incredibly interesting and can discuss other topics.

To be fair Osment brings up politics at the end and Marc briefly livens up, so if he hadn't kept trying to find dirt he might've got a better interview out of it. I just thought it was hilarious that Maron seemed insistent on getting to the bottom of this whole Osment thing and was clearly disappointed when he turned out to be normal.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Ian Mckellan interview was fine and he opened up a lot more when he realised what type of interview he was doing, but that moment of Shakespeare at the end was great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

Michael Bay didn't even care about the comment too, Spielberg insisted he fire her.

Yeah. It's something that got overlooked. She said that on the set he was like Hitler because he was such a Tyrant. Bay took it all in good stead (And while he probably didn't like being called that, he will admit that he can be a dick on set). It was Spielberg who got her canned while Bay was happy to keep her on. Bay just went and cast her in TMNT instead because he likes working with her (Or insert your own 'creepy man being a lech' narrative here).

Anyway, I liked the Segel interview and apparently I'm not up on my gossip because I had no idea he was an alcoholic. Nice to see him be open about his movie career as well and admitting he did stuff because there's a fear that you'll just be forgotten.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I liked Patricia Arquette's reading of Lost Highway. I never considered it was Lynch writing a response to the OJ trial. On the whole it ended better than it started, since she clearly didn't want to discuss much about her childhood, even though it sounded pretty crazy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What were some of the best WTF episodes with former SNL cast that revealed something about Lorne? Especially about Lorne's meeting with Marc? Most of those episodes, the guest has glowing praise for Lorne (like the Mulaney one) but there are a few exceptions:

*I think it was Jim Breuer who revealed that Lorne probably only interviewed Marc for Weekend Update as a ploy to get someone else.
*Jay Mohr had some awkward stories about his short time on SNL.
*Harry Shearer is a noted rear end in a top hat and had nothing but bad to say about his time there.

Am I forgetting any key episodes from 90s cast members who helped Marc put the pieces together?

The Michaela Watkins one was great for just going into what an unhappy experience it was, and the weirdness that goes with working for Lorne, such as thanking him for letting you work during the summer break.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

A key quote in the Michaels episode: "God, you really remember a lot of this."

It's weird, as a Brit I don't think I've ever quite understood the institution of SNL. I know what a breeding ground it is, but every episode I've seen - even from the 'glory years' - has a pretty crazy hit/miss ratio. It just feels like one of those things that is held in reverence because of the name only, and not because of what it actually does.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

For being a dick

Lorne was an incredible rear end in a top hat to him, and is a weird guy people are afraid of because of his power in showbusiness. Marc was afraid to confront him and blew smoke up his rear end for two hours about how he changed comedy, and Marc even backs off like a little baby when he says first season and Lorne goes you mean first five years and Marcs just like yeah. He was sniveling

"Incredible rear end in a top hat" according to Marc, who doesn't have the best of memories about these things and has built it up for 20 years or whatever it is into something it clearly wasn't. I thought Lorne was fairly level headed in his answer, though I got the feeling he was sparing Maron the embarrassment of saying that yeah you just weren't very good. Is Michaels dickish? Of course he is. But not everyone is Harry Shearer and willing to talk about that, mainly because he probably doesn't think he's being a dick.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Lorne didn't deny anything Marc claimed he said and said saying "Nothing you're doing matters" was "playful"

So? Truth is that we don't know if it was or not. It's clear that Michaels does this poo poo to people to see how they react (Hence the various stories about how he keeps people waiting an unreasonable amount of time) and it's possible that he was joking, just like it was possible that he was being serious. Thing is I doubt Lorne himself even knows. It was 20 years ago.

I fell like anyone arguing that Maron should've taken Michaels to task don't understand how social interactions or interviews work. As it was, it's just a largely average interview in which the biggest issue was dispensed with immediately.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

Marc should understand (and he probably does) by this point that his attitude and ego was unfit for SNL anyway, he would've been booted from the show faster than Damon Wayans.

I've always thought it was such a weird hangup for Marc to have. He knows he doesn't particularly play well with others, just like he knows that he wouldn't have been a good fit for that show. When he's spoken to people who have been sketch stars he's made his slight disdain pretty clear. So why really care? It's why I thought that resolution was pretty funny, because it's so not a big deal. All of that and it ends with the smallest whimper.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Why would anyone care about tons of money and prestige in their industry with a defined role (Update) thats suited to them? I just cant wrap my head around it

Being obtuse is fun, but that's not what I'm talking about. Maron's whole thing is about how he seemingly couldn't please Michaels and become part of this institution. But what was he expecting really? He was by all accounts a massive dick at the time who couldn't play well with others and who had never worked in that type of environment before. This isn't like it was snatched from the jaws of victory.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah Radcliffe was nice enough and I do respect him saying that he would talk to Maron privately instead of airing it out in public. He's self aware enough to know that he'll be in the news cycle for a week or two.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I quite liked the Crispen Glover interview. He's surprisingly normal and just seems to like exploring his art in certain ways.

It's easy to see why he's be perturbed by the implications of the BttF ending (It's a total Regan's America end to that movie), but I still can't believe they honestly thought they could just get away with putting a mask on another actor.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Astrochicken posted:

Yeah that interview really made me want to watch The French Connection and Sorcerer. The Exorcist is a movie I make people watch when they say they're only peripherally culturally aware of it or whatever. They're always blindsided by the quality of it.

CRUISING is actually great as well. It's kind of conflicted, but it only really serves the narrative in that regard. Pacino refuses to talk about it, which is a shame because it's really one of his best performances. It got overshadowed by the protests at the time. I understand why they happened, but it also created counter protests in which the patrons of somewhere like The Mine Shaft were counter protesting because they felt as though they were being told their lifestyle was being criticised by the protesters.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I actually liked the Steve-O interview, and Marc seemed to genuinely like him too. Its good to see that he's got his life together

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Ron Perlman episode is essential. He tells an amazing Marlon Brando story.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Of all the Dana Carvey podcast appearances that came about recently, I think his one with Marc was the best one. You can tell he's a dude who so wants to stray from the comfort zone of doing the same act he's always been known for, he's just not done it yet. He has this idea that hey here's what people know me for and what they've come to see, so I'll keep doing that. He's also surprisingly open about what a lovely childhood he had.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

rotinaj posted:

I honestly just wanted to hear the details of his childhood. It's painful and lovely and awful, I get it, but I always am fascinated to hear that famous people had hosed up stuff happen to them too. I also wanted to hear a solid reason for him walking away, like Rick Moranis.

Good, good interview.

It was interesting to hear him just be like yeah so I made some really lovely choices but got paid well, then just did corporate gigs for the money.

Also interesting to hear him talk about, albeit briefly, Williams stealing stuff. He has a very diplomatic view of it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I thought Anne Hathaway came across really likeable, and it was one of those interviews you feel could've gone on twice as long and they both would've been happy. Also, she has a killer laugh.

And weirdly, despite it being something that Marc actually saw for once, they barely talked about the movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Pretty good talk from Marc about the Louis CK situation. He actually gives the same account that Jim Norton did; they heard rumours but with no names attached. Both asked Louis directly and Louis denied it to them both. Sometimes it's times that like that frames Marc at his best because you're witnessing the honest growth of a person who was once lovely and is learning those lessons.

Also, that professor story...

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 19, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's a surprisingly good interview with Jay Leno. There's a lot of comics who have always had a kind of reverence for the early career of that guy and couldn't understand what he had become, but it seemed to me that he just had an opportunity to earn a ton of money and took it instead of working comedy clubs all the time. I guess his journey is essentially the exact same as Letterman's was, it's just one of them is well-regarded.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

mrfart posted:

It’s the first wtf I have listens to in a long time. The last ones I tried were always Marc interviewing actors and going down an IMDb list, and i turned it off before the end.
But with Leno he has a specific common history to talk about and it becomes very interesting. And there’s always good stories with comics.
I guess the only guys he needs to get on now are John Stewart (hates him?) and Seinfeld (might happen if he runs out of comics for his comedians in cars. I wonder what car he’ll get for maron).

It's never going to happen with Stewart.

quote:

“Jon always represented to me why I was failing. I’m a smart Jewish guy, we’re about the same age, and yet… He’s very calculated, you know? He knew where he wanted to go and how to align himself, whereas I always saw agents and managers as the enemies – the suits. I had a lot of ‘gently caress you’ in me. I come from that dumb rebel mindset. So when I’d see him [in the 90s and 00s], I’d act like he was personally destroying me,” he says.

As Maron floundered throughout the 90s, Stewart started getting TV slots, including a talkshow on MTV, and when he’d come to see Maron perform in comedy clubs, Maron would heckle him from the stage: “Oh, there he is, Jon Stewart from MTV. How does that feel, you sell-out gently caress?”

Nonetheless, Stewart invited him to appear on his various pre-Daily Show TV programmes, and Maron would turn up and sneer, “Oh, so you’re the big shot, huh? Mr Big Guy?” Eventually, after years of this, Stewart got fed up and, backstage at an event, as Maron started in on him again, he said, “Why do you talk to me like this? I don’t need to take this from you any more,” and walked away.

Maron admits now he was “horrible” and “Jon didn’t deserve all that”, but his attempts to reconnect with Stewart have been rebuffed. Does he regret his behaviour? He laughs. “No, I don’t regret it! It was who I was.”

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

That quote was from this year. I assume at this point though that Maron has probably given up on trying to get hold of Stewart.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Yeah I just gave this a try. The way he talks reminded me of his book, like every sentence comes with some cherry-picked word from the thesaurus. Switched it off after 10 min tbh.

It isn't good and in Maron's later interview with Josh Brolin he indicates that it was sort of difficult, though he did supposedly get him to lighten up towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Marc had a pretty good chat with Anna Faris. They have a kind of chemistry that he doesn't usually get with most guests. Though, that moment when she almost talked about her thoughts on childbirth and religion seeing meant she was clearly about to dunk on Chris Pratt, who is very much on the religious side of things. I understand why she didn't do it though.

The last few weeks have been pretty good I think. He might not have had the biggest names on but he's been having a lot of interesting chats.

• Locked thread