Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Also, unless you can flip the screen around the Apple watch will be unusable for lefties. The knob is an integral part of the user interface and it's on the wrong side if the watch is on the right hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Having owned a lg g watch for a month now, I won't be getting another smart watch unless it has an OLED screen. The brightness of the LCD screen at night time makes it unappealing to use as an always on display.

The OLED screen at night with a black watch face should much be darker and cause much less glare.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 12, 2014

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hooah posted:

Is there a way to turn it off? My wife turns into one of those creatures from the deep sea at night and hates any light in the bedroom.

You can just flip it over

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hooah posted:

While it's charging? I don't think it can charge through the screen, unless I'm underestimating the range of Qi.

Doesn't the charging dock have magnets to keep it attached to the back?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Radbot posted:

Wouldn't the 360 get Wear 2.0 anyways?

I'm considering selling mine, I've worn it for about a week but otherwise it looks perfect. It's the grey leather version. Anyone here want it for $250+shipping? I'd provide you pics, etc. of course.

Go to the goonmart forum. We're not allowed to sell outside of there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

JoeMB posted:

Pretty much. I doubt many people will use it but its nice to have.

It's for running. Leave your phone at home and take your GPS and music with you.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Manky posted:

Less than that - Qi drops your efficiency by about 30%, according to this. Makes it seem like a bad thing on a power bank. (Yeah, 7 charges is still plenty for a watch, but it'd be wasteful for a phone.)

Not having to carry around wires is nice

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Folding my arms catches me out. I usually trigger the watch face change.

I like to fold my arms during a movie so I get this buzz happening every few minutes as it switches watch faces.

Also I'm left handed so I kinda need to take the watch off when I use a computer because it affects my mouse hand.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sterf posted:

Not using an English accent fucks it up too, I tried it out with 'Check the weather' and gave me 'chicks with dicks'. wtf google

Using a thick american accent works perfectly, but it's idiotic enough talking to a watch so...

What's a thick American accent? John Wayne?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

codo27 posted:

I was considering buying a Band, but I've wisely switched back to android finally and now there are a variety of watches compatible with my device. I want something that isn't a hybrid/analog watch with a little notifications area, but the main thing for me is media controls. Skipping songs will suffice. I'd rather not spend ~$300. Fitness features aren't necessary. My blood type is gravy

It sounds like a wear device is what you want. Get an LG G watch for under $150. It may not be the prettiest thing in the world but it'll do everything you need it to and has a battery that will last about one and a half to two days.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ok facer is pretty great. I was finally able to get just a plain black background with text for the time without all that crazy bullshit that other premade watch faces include.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Don't get the http://www.amazon.com/Ritche-Stainl...22mm+metal+band

It literally fell to pieces after about a month of use and I had to get a new one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Logikv9 posted:

I'm returning the 360. Maybe my phone sucks, maybe I got a defective one, but whatever the case it's just not workable.

1. It loses connection often, for no apparent reason. This sucks because obviously it renders it useless for notifications, but also it occasionally happens without the watch even recognizing it. So I could be using an OK Google command and it would take a minute or two to realize that it has no idea what I'm saying because it's not connected.

2. Battery life is poo poo. From what I've gathered, I'm special and unique because it sucks compared to everyone else here. Even with airplane mode on, ambient mode off, it has an (estimated) time of less than 20 hours, a far cry from the 2 days that people seem to be getting. It also gets warm randomly, which is probably where all the power is going. This is also after I removed literally every app apart from Wear Battery Stats, which would be ironic if it was causing my battery woes. I even reset the watch to maybe fix it, but instead that actually made it worse. -10%/hr on airplane mode, everybody?

3. It's really... not that useful. My pebble did the same thing in a not-as-nice package with a better battery life, which made it basically worry-free. I'm all in for the second generation of Wear devices, and maaaaaybe even the G Watch R. Maybe with the next version, it will become more useful. It's a massive shame because the watch is legitimately beautiful and I wouldn't mind wearing it just as a watch, if I had any taste in regular watches.

I'm also very, very cautious about first generation devices, especially Motorola ones. I'm in massive loving idiot that sprung for the Xoom when it came out, and that was literally The Worst Thing Ever. That was too much money down the drain, and I'm anxious to avoid the same fate with the 360. Luckily it's still within the return window, so nothing is lost :unsmith:

I used to be able to get a good 2 days out of my LG G Watch. Now, I'll get a crazy battery drain that'll happen nearly every day. It'll burn through half of the battery in like 2-3 hours. My usage pattern really hasn't changed either. So my typical battery will last less than 24 hours now.

I noticed this happening with the update that added the "find your phone" function to the launcher. Anyone else experience this?

I also had the frequent disconnections as well when I was on the pre 5.1 lollipop builds for my Nexus 6. It would often say that it wasn't connected when I was trying to give it voice commands, despite the fact that it had just received notifications. Furthermore, when it would recognize that it was connected to my phone it would often fail to pass the voice command through. Like, I would say "Okay Google, navigate to home." It would correctly figure out what I spoke, then say it was sending the command to my phone, but then nothing would happen on my phone. I counted once, and it once took 9 tries for it to successfully pass my voice command to my phone and have the phone open Google maps and do the search.

Ever since my phone updated to 5.1, however, I've had a much more consistent connection to my phone. The watch will almost always correctly pass the commands to my phone, and the phone will correctly respond when it receives them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Rastor posted:

Regarding the first point, the Apple hype machine is a monster. Only Samsung comes remotely close, and Samsung has chosen regarding smartwatches to have a little fit about their reliance on Google instead of throwing weight behind Android Wear. So yeah, duh, the Apple thing sold a factor of X more than the non-Apple thing. That's because the hype for the Apple thing was 10X the hype for the non-Apple thing. Keep in mind, many super-hyped products that did well on day 1 weren't looking so good after 1 year, and vice versa.

Regarding the second point, that's partially true, though I thought the Moto 360 and G Watch R were pretty good considering they were first gen products. We will now be getting the Moto 360 gen 2, LG Watch Urbane, and Huawei Watch. Which are all looking to be products I would hold up against the Apple Watch with a straight face.

Internal hardware aside, I think the casing for the apple watch looks like trash.

I have an LG G watch not because the square look was nice, but because I wanted an android wear watch near day one.

My watch, and the apple watch, both look like some crappy 80 calculator watch. I really don't know why people would want to spend $400, let alone TEN GRAND on something like that.

Also, relying on the crown for controlling many of the functions of the watch just seems like a lovely ui decision, one which I really can't grasp as to why they thought it would be a good idea instead of using its touchscreen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The problem is that right now a "stylish" Smartwatch is simply what watch looks most like an expensive (or lower end nice looking "Fossil") mechanical watch. That's all people have for a basis of comparison and that is supported right now because AW producers have bought into the idea that a Smart Watch should closely approximate existing watch options while also having new features. However, Apple is taking a risk and saying "this is what a stylish smart watch looks like" (supported by their incredible branding and intelligent move to make premium expensive variants). When 80% of Smart Watch wearers are wearing a square Smart Watch with a crown then that is what will become stylish. AW had a chance to define "cool" and they didn't do it, which is just mindboggling. Instead they allowed Tissot and other manufacturers of mechanical watches to define cool and stylish and they just tried to buy into a saturated market.

How is apple taking a risk making a rectangular smart watch? Its not like they are stepping out there and doing something different from what other smart watches have been doing in the past. Rectangular smart watches were that ONLY kind of smart watch until the round GW devices started coming out.

Apple is even sticking with the old "throw everything and the kitchen sink in the watch" that pre-pebble watches were attempting. Modern smart watches like the Pebble 1 and 2 and AW focus on what you can reasonably do on a 1 inch screen, see notifications, and deliver quick, short commands to your phone.

The apple watch looks and feels like a watch designed 5 years ago.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ninmeister posted:

This right here blew my mind when I got my 360. You would think that the Google IM program would be a native function of your Android watch.

You would also think that it would send texts through your google voice number if you have it linked to hangouts when you use a voice command to create a text message.

Instead it will only use your phone's number.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is there a decent way to do navigation notifications on the Garmin vivoactive 3? Trying to use this thing like a smart watch and it's a real nightmare compared to Wear OS. I just spent about an hour figuring out how to get notifications to show up at all. Having to jump into and out of a widget to look at notifications it's kinda really bad and turn by turn directions don't show up at all even though I've selected show all notifications.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh this took me like 7 seconds and they showed up automatically. What were you doing?!

I have no idea if it even can do turn by turn directions. It's not a full featured smartwatch, it's a fitness tracker with some basic smartwatch functions. Don't try to make it be something it's not.

They defaulted to off for me for some reason, and the option to turn them on is kind of buried in the application.

Turn-by-turn directions are probably what I used my previous smartwatch the most for since I live in a very walkable city.

I really like the screen out in the sun, it's excellent for that. And for a run today the gps and heart rate sensors worked really well.

I'm really not a fan of the OS though and slim smart watch functionality doesn't really cut it. I'll probably be returning it tomorrow.

I'm thinking I'll either get a Misfit Vapor or wait for the LG Watch Timepiece or Samsung Gear 4.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

My vivoactive 3's Bluetooth radio, gps and step counter have all stopped working at the same time. It'll still boot and tell the time, but is essentially a dumb watch

Did this after only two years of ownership. Really unimpressed.

What's the new hotness for smart watches?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

Do you want a fitness tracker that’s also a mediocre smartwatch or a smartwatch that’s also a mediocre fitness tracker?

Things seem a bit up in their air at the moment, but mainly the answer to what you’re asking depends on whether you’re using an iPhone or Android phone.

I have an android phone.

I'd favor having a smart watch a bit over an amazing fitness tracker. I've heard good things about the new Samnsung one?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Anyone had any luck getting the work profile notifications and calendars to show up on their Samsung watches. I can get the main accounts notifications but not the work ones

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

No clue if something like these exist for the Galaxy Watch, but I really would like these apps for my watch, so I don't have to take out my phone:

-Shazam/Soundhound song detection
-Google Maps navigation directions
-Transit app next bus/train times, this one is a pipe dream probably

For Google maps directions (walking, driving, and transit)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=smartwatchstudios.app.gears3navigation

And the companion app for the watch.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

iospace posted:

Instinct Solar. We have two people here who love theirs.

Garmin is platform agnostic so!

Does the instinct do topographic maps while on an activity like the Fenix 6 does? I would really like to use it for hiking and backpacking but it looks like it might only do breadcrumb trails which would make it significantly less useful.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not that I have found. Its screen is too basic for that. That said, it will sync your location/track with the Garmin Explore app, which has full colour offline topographic maps, and I actually think works better.

My hope was to avoid taking out my phone while I'm out hiking since using that to navigate through the trails drains it pretty quickly. Using a watch that can more or less top itself off with solar for my navigation while out hiking would dramatically improve my phone's battery life since I would use the phone significantly less.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 got OS update to Tizen 5.5 and the ECG feature unlocked finally in the US:

https://www.sammobile.com/news/updates-ecg-galaxy-watch-3-usa-tizen-5-5-active-2/

Also:

VO2max readings, advanced running analysis, the long-awaited Fall Detection feature, better notifications, and AR Emoji/Bitmoji support.

Does this require an update of the watch? I'm not seeing the ability to do this on mine.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Cool cool, my Samsung Galaxy Wear 2's touchscreen started picking up phantom touches, and then over the course of the next 48 hours progressively got worse until half of the touchscreen stopped responding to actual touches. It started three bike ride exercises while I was sleeping thanks to the phantom touches.

At least it did this a month before my warranty runs out so back to Samsung it goes for an RMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Cool cool, my Samsung Galaxy Wear 2's touchscreen started picking up phantom touches, and then over the course of the next 48 hours progressively got worse until half of the touchscreen stopped responding to actual touches. It started three bike ride exercises while I was sleeping thanks to the phantom touches.

At least it did this a month before my warranty runs out so back to Samsung it goes for an RMA.

So an update on this.

Samsung wants to charge me for a whole new watch because there has apparently been water ingress into the watch. Of course I've never taken the watch beyond its IP rated ranges.

It's just been used in normal day-to-day wear including wearing it in the shower or while doing dishes but neither of those should have caused it to get water inside if its five atmosphere and IP68 seals were intact.

Guess I'm never buying another Samsung device ever.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 30, 2020