Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well we have an answer on the Qualcomm Toq which I thought was the most interesting offering between the Galaxy Gear trainwreck and the somewhat boring Pebble. December 3rd and $350. :ohdear:

This is pretty disappointing, giving it's wireless charging and color screen I expected a premium over the Pebble but I was thinking more in the $250 range, $350 is a ton of money for a watch that isn't much more capable than a Pebble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maneki Neko posted:

I'd be more interested in this if it was't Android only.

On a different note, did anyone get in on the Agent kickstarter? Seems like it might actually ship at some point? Not sure if backers are getting any more info than regular users. I was vaguely tempted, but I've been waiting over a year for the last electronics project I kickstarted so I shied away.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/secretlabs/agent-the-worlds-smartest-watch

The Agent doesn't look much better than the Pebble and I have to say I'm happy with the Pebble, it's a solid product moving forward. As for Toq being android only, it's incredibly stupid since Apple has opened up all notifications and is allowing full time background app internet connectivity over Bluetooth. It's moved a bit backwards as Pebble broke everything with it's 2.0 SDK but there were iOS apps that I assume are being updated that tied in with calendars and messages, even phone finders, GPS, etc.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Eh, don't love it but I'm buying it or the Moto 360, they can battle it out over pricing and availability, I think that's how most people are going to feel. The tick marks were a huge mistake though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
It started out where I was ready to put in my credit card this morning, then I was like, eh, I really don't like leather watch bands, I think I will hold off until the metal, I dunno, I will probably go to Best Buy and see the leather in person and see if I just want to add the metal later.

Then we get to 12 hour battery life, you have to be loving kidding me, that is bury the lede. I'm fine with charging every night, that complaint didn't make much sense to me, I charge my phone every night, I don't wear a watch when I sleep, I have no problem throwing the watch on the charger every night. BUt 12 hours? Nope, I'm not charging my watch twice a day every day under any circumstance.

I think I am going to agree with the 18 hours, a firm 18 hours worst case.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
One note on the 360 is for as rigidly as Google has enforced the wear platform they are using what is basically an EOLed TI processor using an old fab processes so for one that is a power suck and it makes me kind of concerned that LG and Samsung are sharing a chip platform and not Motorola as far as support moving forward.

The LG round watch is using an OLED and the Snapdragon that the other watches is using so support and battery life could be tons, tons better. I decided to hold off on ordering a launch 360, we will see if I get impulsive and buy one at Best Buy when they get some in store but now would be a really, really good time for LG to share price and availability. Oh and get rid of those stupid tick marks on the bezel.

Nut Better posted:

Oh right, I always forget they marketed it as e-paper not e-ink. They really did a good job with it though.

They were trying to make the point that the display retains it's image with a stupid low amount of power thus the always on display wouldn't be a huge battery suck. Which is true, I have been extremely happy with the battery life on my Pebble, I've never had it die, when the low battery alert turns on whatever time of day it is it always has enough juice to make it to the charger at the end of the day.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sold on the proportions though. The display is smaller and the watch is thicker.

Honestly the display on the 360 has seemed a little on the disproportionately large side to me based on photos, I might feel completely differently if it was on my wrist though.

I like the design of the LG watch, I like the design of the 360, the LG has an OLED display and a newer more power efficient processor both of which could dramatically sway the battery life which if we are talking the difference between maybe getting through the day if you don't use it that much to easily, easily getting through the day with heavy use and then some I may be more than willing to deal with a smaller display and some tick marks.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Qualcomm seems to be doing alright getting Snapdragons into Android Wear, maybe it is time for some Mirasol action?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Mirasol would be the perfect application here, but I can't help but think it's still too expensive or we would have seen it pop up by now.

I think this is where Apple might not gently caress up watches, do it right or just don't bother. I would much more interested in a Moto 360 had they not crippled it with lovely battery life, price it $100 more, don't put a crap processor in it, put a OLED display with a low power mode in.

I get that it is a relatively new category and they are trying to be price sensitive but what is the point of saving $50-$100 if we are still talking $250 for a crippled product? We aren't exactly at the impulse purchase range.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

As great as Apple is about launching stuff, I don't think they are going to pull off a watch concept that anyone other than the diehard Apple fan will buy. Pretty much the same thing right now with all wearable tech, the general public just isn't into it yet.

Not to be all Apple fans :jerkbag: but unless the iWatch is so bad that someone like Mossberg says it is utter garbage I find it hard to believe that Apple won't be minting cash with the iWatch as even just a fashion accessory. It would have to be bad, bad, bad for them not to sell a shitload of them, like Fitbit Force contact dermatitis bad.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 8, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

iFix it posted:

As for other shortcomings that accounted for a 3 out of 10 repairability score, iFixit found some issues with advertised battery life vs what the device is actually capable of: Talk around the water cooler is that the Moto 360 suffers from an abysmal battery life. Motorola claims 320 mAh. Inside we find a 3.8 V, 300 mAh battery rated for 1.1 Wh of energy. We did some mathemagics, and 1.1 Wh / 3.8 V = 289 mAh, a full 10% less than advertised on Moto’s site. We’re not sure if that’s a rounding error or what; we just reports what we finds.

That is straight up bullshit, what the hell Motorola?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Looks like Jawbone's adding support for the whole stable of wearables - Android and also presumably supporting anything Apple announces next hour provided it ties to Healthkit. I wish Fitbit would do this; they already support the step counter in the iPhone 5s and this year's HTC One.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/jawbone-up-android-wear-healthkit-windows-phone/?ncid=rss_truncated

I'm pretty sure that Fitbit sees HealthKit as more a competitor than a way to sell more devices, Fitbit has always seemed to want to be in the service market more than the device market.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having owned a lg g watch for a month now, I won't be getting another smart watch unless it has an OLED screen. The brightness of the LCD screen at high time makes it unappealing to use as an always on display.

The OLED screen at night with a black watch face should much darker and cause much less glare.

I keep going back and forth on picking up a Moto 360 or waiting for the LG R and while I don't like the overall design of the LG R as much as the Moto 360 I keep leaning towards the OLED screen making a huge difference in usability. With a black face not only should you get great battery life but it will probably come pretty close to passing for a non-smart watch day or night. I can't help but wonder if some of the meh about it isn't that it feels too much like a non-smart watch while the MOto 360 just looks like what you might think a smart watch should look like.

It seems like the resounding complaint about the LG R is that the bezel is too big, high end mechanical watches tend to have large bezels.

A Moto 360 is just never going to pass for a regular watch, I don't think anyone would give that a second glance.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

The official bb launch isn't until the 14th

Is there anywhere confirming this? I was going to make a trip around BB anyways this weekend so I might push that up to early in the morning and see if I stupidly impulse buy a Moto 360 instead of waiting for the LG G R which is currently my plan.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Another review:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/12/moto-360-review/

It again highlights the spotty battery life, I kind of thinking that there might be something else going on with the battery.

Also, maybe this is crazy but I played with the G watch a little bit at the AT&T store on Friday and honestly, I don't hate the looks of it, it certainly doesn't look any worse then my Pebble which I am pretty happy with. With the price slash I am honestly considering just picking it up. With first gen hardware and software all around and lovely compromises everywhere I'm kind of feeling like solid all day battery life is kind of king and since I'm making all sorts of lovely compromises I might as well get something cheap.

Someone talk me out of it please.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Besides the fact that Google's resources are apparently stretched pretty thin with Wear already I can't see much reason Google Wear couldn't run on iOS, Google certainly hasn't had any general opposition to any of their services running on iOS including Google Now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

dazjw posted:

I have no idea if anyone's looked into Wear for iOS specifically but phone calls/SMS-es are basically off limits for apps on iOS, so they'd be out, and there'd be no way to hook into app notifications without cooperation from the notifying app (and it would be a bit of a hack that for all we know might even get declared off-limits by Apple).

Apple notifications over bluetooth are solid and has a published frasmework, basically any notification can be pushed to a bluetooth device including SMS and telephone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Something I was thinking about today was does a circular smart watch make any sense? Analog watches are circular because the mechanism is circular but the top of wrists are not circular therefor circular watches aren't more comfortable or maximazing display they just cut display space, they are just cutting functional display for an outdated aesthetic. Well that and the gee wiz you don't see many round displays like we had blue LEDs loving everywhere for a while.

Which is fine but for something that isn't going to pass for analog it seems like a big trade off for questionable aesthetic reasons, I wonder how common they will be in a few years if the concept of the smart watch takes off.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So my G Watch is on it's way, after arguing with AT&T for two hours on a insane billing issue keeping me from adding a tablet because AT&T wireline said I owed them money that I didn't owe I ended up with a $166.19 credit on my wireless account, the invalid AT&T wireline charges removed, an LG G watch for $114.50 billed to my account, free 2 day shipping and I still have $70 on my AT&T promo card for the $200 they gave me for my iPhone 4 after paying my bill.

It's been a good week for me with AT&T.

It looks like the LG G watch on Awful Mart went like lightning with several backups for $100 used no packaging so for anyone that has used a Moto 360 and a G Watch do I parlay my free G Watch into a $150 Moto 360 whenever I can get one? $179.99/$249.99 seems more like a toss up than free/$149.99. I'm happy with my regular Pebble now appearance wise with a replacement strap, any reason I would be less happy with an G Watch besides battery?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ilkhan posted:

My 360 is getting returned. No major issues, and battery is fine for me, I just don't love it and have better things to spend the $250 on. It would be the full $250 and I'll cover shipping (which is what Id get for the return). The watch itself is pristine. Is it worth throwing up an s-mart thread?

See this is where I stand right now, I'm sold on the idea of a smart watch, I love my Pebble, it just feels like there are so many compromises on wear right now that as nice as the 360 is I would rather be trying it cheap and investing more money when it isn't so gimped in hardware and software.

I think I'm willing to be a lot more forgiving towards the platform for $115 than $250.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/19/the-moto-360-display-may-have-a-problem-with-image-persistence-from-the-charging-screen/

There has to be a very interesting story as to why the Moto 360 has been simultaneously one of the most interesting and appealing pieces of bleeding edge personal technology and an inexplicable trainwreck.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I mean at this point all Motorola has to do is put an OLED display and a Snapdragon chip in the Moto 360 and you get to blame anything lovely on Google's platform.

I don't understand why they turned something so interesting into crippled poo poo, let's forget the apparently lovely LCD for a second, if they just spent what a few dollars more per chip they could have been using a faster processor that at the same time has better battery life? Strip the useless heart rate sensor and QI charging to cut costs, don't cut corners on the stuff makes it even functional in the first place.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I thought the QI charging on the 360 was technically QI but didn't really play well with most QI chargers. If you are using a proprietary dock anyways pogo pins vs induction seems trivial if you are cutting major corners in important places like the processor/display.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

Samsung gave us a glimpse at its next smartwatch (there have been a few) at IFA, and tonight it's announcing that, surprise, you'll be able to buy and use the Gear S in the US this fall. There's little in the way of details, but it's coming on all four major carriers -- AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile -- and promises more information "soon."

Hold on with Samsung's solid record of making poo poo watches that no one buys and all indications of this being in the same boat, basically zero demand for a watch that makes phone calls and both Google and Apple making big and solid smartwatch pushes why are all the carriers signing up for this?

Part of me admires Samsung's willingness to throw as many turds as they can come up with as fast as they can at the wall and carriers now willing to take some risk in devices but come on. I mean this isn't hard, Samsung knows how to make OLEDs, they know how to make watches, put a OLED with a decent battery in a case that doesn't even have to be round designed by a competent watch designer with Google's software that most people agree isn't complete poo poo unlike the Gear and the Fit and you could probably move some units.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I've had my G watch a few days now and I have to say Google Wear is just so immature I'm glad I only paid $115 and not $250 for a Moto 360. In raw actual functionality I would put it just a step above my Pebble once you consider the readability of the ePaper display coupled with the battery, size and weight.

It's probably worth $115-$150 but there are a lot of Google now voice commands that work well on the phone and would work well on the watch but are inexplicably broken to the point where it makes a lot of it seem pointless. Wear 2.0 is apparently imminent and it's been heavily implied that is going to be fleshed out a lot more so I would suggest holding out until 2.0 and seeing if something launches with it that isn't making a bunch of compromises.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Well you actually received it so that's a bunch of steps above a Pebble.

What? Is there some Pebble shipping problem I hadn't heard about? They have been widely available in stores for months and months.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Radbot posted:

Wouldn't the 360 get Wear 2.0 anyways?

Yes but the processor/display/battery life are way behind the other devices which are majorly flawed for their own reasons. $250 is a lot to pay for a meh device running meh software, 2.0 could bring massive improvements in software/battery life that change that calculus or we could see new hardware launch alongside it that isn't making so many major compromises.

Put an OLED and a Snapdragon in the Moto 360 and I will pay $300+ for it right this minute (Assuming battery life would improve as dramatically as one would expect), make major improvements in the software and I might overlook hardware deficiencies but as it stand now $250 just seems like a lot of money to pay for something half-baked all around.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I'm sure Motorola executives are quite aware of the sunk cost fallacy and why would google put up with supporting such ancient SOC on a nascent platform that they consider very important?

The only thing I can think of is Google fully intends on supporting poo poo chips long term on the platform to get watches at very low price points going forward and having a flagship using poo poo chips sends a message that if someone wants to get into the game with poo poo chips that meet the performance specs they aren't going to be abandoned by Google.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

smackfu posted:

A wrist pedometer is pretty fundamentally inaccurate. But as long as it is somewhat consistent relative to reality, it's useful for its purpose.

Maybe I fit into some perfect sweet spot in stride but I've checked my Fitbit Flex against GPS and mile markers on a trail and it was almost dead accurate, like +/- 1% over miles.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I'm really not getting the complaints about the appearance of the G Watch, like every single review says it looks like terrible huge geeky poo poo. After putting a different band on it I'm completely happy with how it looks and wouldn't think twice about wearing it most places, I think it is a great size. :shrug:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Android Central is saying iHeartRadio for Wear is dropping on the 15th, I can't comprehend why anyone would go to ClearChannel for personalized internet radio but since the 15th was the rumored release date for the next big Wear upgrade that adds some new evidence for it.

It's round, that's interesting I guess, I still don't think it is is some sort of massive visual upgrade over the G Watch which gets a day+ at full brightness with always on screen.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 9, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/sepm-lg-g-watch-124442

$159 for the G Watch. I've used it for a bit now and for $229, no but I would pay $159 for it today.

grilldos posted:

That's with ambient mode ON, so that's pretty good for the 360, man.

Oh and no guessing on if it will get through the day, I get all day battery with full brightness and always on screen.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Too bad it's half as good looking as the 360. Seeing as how these are definitely luxury items, I'll be waiting for the next generation where I can get something that looks good and has solid battery life.

I'm a boring Gap/Polo/J.Crew/Etc dresser and I've run the G Watch by my bitchy fashion forward friends and none of them have said anything negative about it, it doesn't look geeky at all. Actually the only comments I've ever gotten about it have been "Oh wow, is that one of those internet watches? Can I see it?" from people like cashiers or guys at bars.

I get the watch as jewelry concept but I'm a convert since the Pebble, the smartwatch is surprisingly useful and practical for a concept that was sort of written off as just a superfluous fashion accessory after the days of everyone having a cellphone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I guess I missed that this was running Wear, I thought it was some random ASUS OS.

Swappable bands, attractive, OLED, stainless steel case, Snapdragon 400, if this has a decent battery and an ambient light sensor this might be the Wear watch to hold out for, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 14, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Super Dude posted:

All of the Nexus/Android news has come out, have we heard anything about this yet?

No but iHeartRadio hasn't pushed out their big update with Wear support and they have been very clear that it was coming out on the 15th specifically so I'm still holding out hope.

Nevermind, it is out, well I am kind of disappointed. :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Square analog watches go way back, like as far back as watches go, they are current now, expensive square watches, like current analog watches that costs tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A round LCD is unique, it stands out because round LCDs are rare and as such considered cutting edge tech but there isn't something inherently more watch like about them.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That's a pretty stupid argument.

They have square watermelons too. Just because something exists in a different shape doesn't mean that they're all equal.

https://www.patek.com/contents/default/en/5940J_001.html
http://us.tagheuer.com/en/luxury-watches/monaco-watch

This argument is insane, you can say you think the G Watch and Apple watch are ugly, that you are personally more attracted to round watch faces as a fashion accessory but the just say they inharently are more watch like or look more high end in the context of analog watches is just not substantiated by the current or past high end watch market.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 18, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ninmeister posted:

What a world that we live in, where we are bitching about how much RAM and what kind of goddamn processor is in our watches.

Are people actually seeing a performance issue with the older processor in the Moto 360? I ask because I sure don't. It's a tiny device that is used to show you notifications. How much goddamn processing power do you need for this?

There are two issues, it's less power efficient and TI has basically discontinued support, it was a stupid, stupid design decision. I'd be fine with a slower processor if it meant better battery life but there is no good reason to put a barely supported slow power hungry processor.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I was hugely disappointed, not enough functionality for a smart watch replacement in any of the devices, limited water resistance (Can't shower in them) large size, non-replaceable wristbands, basically a huge step down from the Flex as a everyday wear device, extremely limited functions as a smart watch along with a high price. I wear my Flex with my Pebble or G Watch but I wouldn't wear any of these instead of a more mature smart watch.

The nice thing about the Flex is I don't even think about it, sleep in it, shower in it, charge it like once a week.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Behold the Microsoft wearable:

With the same idiotic screen as the Gear Fit, is there anyone on earth that can comfortably hold their hand to make a screen like that usable in landscape? Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The HP Smartwatch starting at only $350. It's better looking than the Pebble Steel but with way less functionality. I say Pebble Steel because it has iOS compatibility which is big for a new smart watch but at that price it is going to get murdered by the Apple Watch so eh, try again HP.

Actually, I take that back, Pebble owns the iOS smartwatch space now and with a solid development community and hardware I think it would be very difficult at this point to undercut them with the Apple Watch taking all of the higher end for obvious reasons so just give up unless you are going to license Google Wear or Pebble OS.