Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any awesome VSTs recommended for crazy-weird sound design? Obviously, you can get a lot of sounds from any good synth, but I'm looking for ones (that hopefully have a trial/demo mode) that are specifically design for sound design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by sound design specifically. Maybe there's a youtube link with the sort of sounds you're after?

If it's what I suspect, maybe Absynth is something to look at. You can create some terrifyingly weird ambiences with that, way into non-muscal territory.

Ah, sorry for being vague; I actually have Absynth (version 3) and you're absolutely right. I'm looking for both non-musical synths, as well as those that can take samples are REALLY change them around to something unrecognizable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Alchemy

Holy poo poo, this! What's sad is that I've already seen those Jim Stout videos, but had totally forgotten. Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If anyone's looking for a good retro synth sound, I highly recommend stopping by GForce Software's site. Years ago, I got their Future Retro Pack, which included the ImpOscar, M-Tron, Oddity and MiniMonstah plugins, and use them constantly. Both the ImpOscar and M-Tron have seen updates since the pack came out, and I'm wondering if I'd enjoy them even more now, but holy poo poo, are these synths worth it anyway. Oddity is great for weird sounds, M-Tron actually beats it's real-life counterpart, the Mellotron, as it doesn't warp, and is easily expandable.

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/

Check these out, for sure. Though, I'd be surprised if many of you didn't already know about them. Just wanted to chime in to say how great they are.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In this whole Iris vs Alchemy debate, isn't Iris cheaper than Alchemy? Alchemy is $249, Iris (basic, digital download) is $149, with Iris+2 (again, digital download) is $199.

Not saying it's a big difference, but it's at least something to consider when comparing the two.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ah, ok. Fair enough. My girlfriend actually just asked me what I'd like for my birthday, and I told her 'Alchemy'.

Got a general question. Jim Stout's tutorial for making monster voices involves vocoding his voice alongside a dog growl and a pitched down horse breathing sound. I'm mostly green to the whole vocoder world, but is this something that most vocoders offer as an option?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Z_Rop_iGk&feature=channel&list=UL

He's using the Roland V-Synth for all of this. I'm hoping (and betting) that this isn't just a VSynth-specific feature.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks!! ^^^^

Also, good news, everyone!!

Modartt releases Pianoteq 4, a $40 upgrade for current users, and free for those who bought Pianoteq 3 after Jan 1st, 2011.

http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq4

For anyone who has never used/heard Pianoteq before, it has to be one of, if not THE best, most realistic piano 'synthesizers' ever made. Not a sampler, it actually models the sound right then and there.

Oh math. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yes, anyone who doesn't already own Amplitube 3 best get on this deal, it's amazing. I love the poo poo out of AT3 (really liked AT2 as well, thought not as much), and it's the only guitar amp sim I'll need for a while.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just a heads-up, today I got an email from XLN Audio. They're having a sale on the upgrade from Addictive Drums to Addictive Drums 2. Use the code HOLIDAY2014 and it'll cut the $80 down to $40. They're also offering 50% off the price of AD packs, using the same promo code. This is only valid until Dec 14th.

http://www.xlnaudio.com/

Great for me, since I loving love AD. Can't wait to get home to try it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, so what will that mean for Alchemy?

EDIT: I hope it just means that they're sold, and Alchemy will live on forever. It's one of my favourite synths :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 8, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

W424 posted:

It would be pretty cruel to put Alchemy into a DAW that no one uses.

You shut your whore mouth! :clint:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Hey, anyone else remember when iTunes was actually a 3rd party program called SoundJam MP- and at the time it was the hands-down best way to listen to and manage MP3s on the Mac?

In the years since Apple bought it, it became the worst, least intuitive way to do just about anything on the Mac (or Windows).

Before I did sound editing with Reaper and used their Media Explorer/Bin function, I used iTunes for sound effects organization. For a free program, I found it worked well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wow... to write in Sound Forge is kind of :stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, I was JUST about to buy Stormdrum 3, but I have a question. It's been 9 years since I've used iLok for my personal audio stuff. I'm able to log into my iLok account, there's no way I can get by without actually buying another USB key, is there? I lost my old one, and it'd be nice if I didn't have to dish out $50 just to say 'Hey, I bought this software'. I'm doubting there's a way to just tie my (potential) Soundsonline.com purchase to my Mac.

EDIT: nm, I definitely need the key. Spelled out for me in the PLAY manual. gently caress.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 13, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

So the rumors have been confirmed: Apple did buy Camel Audio.

The PC user outrage on KVR is off the charts; people swearing never to support anything those developers do in the future. I'm sure the Camel guys are crying all the way to the bank.

Logic is my DAW of choice, so I'm actually pretty happy with the news.

Also, what stops these guys from continuing to use what they already bought? Jesus, I'm running a legacy Firestudio 2626, and they offer NO support or drivers for 10.9, but whatever, I'm fine, because a new system coming out doesn't mean I can't keep working with what I have.

Some people :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So this Cthulhu is worth it, huh? I could definitely use a bit of help coming up with new stuff, thanks for posting about it! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Actually, just watch this video to see if it could improve your workflow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t2yD1kX2_w

I haven't even touched the arpeggiator part yet, but it looks neat.

Watching this now, oh my god :allears: I can't wait, going to probably pick this up in the next little while. Goddamned taxes were rough this year.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

That does look really interesting, but it sounds like it's a pain in the rear end to make it work in Logic. Anyone have experience with that?

I think you can just use IAC to fix it. There's a walkthrough on the website I think, plus they say (for Logic 9) to read chapter 4 of the manual.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

FXPansion is selling BFD3 for half price, but they hadn't cut the price on the upgrade from BFD2. I just asked them about it on Facebook and they said "just submit a support ticket and we'll cut you a deal". I did, and they did - upgraded to BFD3 for $75! Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but it sure looks neat.

I upgraded to XLN Audio's Addictive Drums 2 months ago, and still haven't really messed around with it :smith:

After work, man, I don't want to even bother, and I hate that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Stupid question, but 'requires an iLok account' means that it also requires having the physical iLok key too, right? Because if so, drat... I lost mine years ago.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Not any more. iLok now has a software solution that requires no physical key, and that's what this one is. It's basically like NI's Service Center.

I also am not a fan of iLok, but you don't need the physical key for this. I don't have one, and I have already installed and used Alterboy.

I wish Soundsonline would use this for the East West and Stormdrum stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never found much problem with the EW sample player, but I've only really used it at my old job. And I think I'm the only person who's never used the Kontakt player :ohdear:

I bought the Kirk Hunter Emerald and Ruby orchestral sample set years ago, and foolishly bought the non-HDD, EXS24 version. I mean, it works and all, but from what I've heard, I would MUCH rather have both the Kontakt version. :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Everyone here already probably knows about this, but in case you don't, and want the Waves L2 Limiter, but don't want to pay for it, check this out:

http://www.yohng.com/software/w1limit.html

I used to use the L2 every single day in my old job (yeah, dynamics be damned), and now that I'm doing freelance work, this has done a great job in taking care of the same thing, and it still sounds great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SineRider posted:

I know people poo poo on iLok stuff a lot, but I never really had any issues with mine. The worst plugin company I have to deal with is Waves imo. They probably have the least responsive support system ever. I changed out my hdd with a sdd not too long ago and in the process waves licensing center broke.

I sent in a ticket months ago and never heard back :v:

I genuinely don't mind iLok, except that I lost my actual key, and don't want to spend another $50.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SineRider posted:

That's totally understandable. $50 is a ridiculous price for a replacement key. The only thing that I hate about iLok is having to use up a usb port for it. Especially when i'm on my laptop.

I'd think that a hub would be ok for that, wouldn't it? Then just put any and all of your low-power devices on that. At my last job, I had the iLok and the Reason key (igniter?) on one of those, never a problem.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

that vst looks like a lot of fun but personally my favorite fake sax is the tenor sax sample from the original mellotron sample sets (which you can get in sampletron and a few other places), obviously much less real but I love the sound of it

I have the M-tron, I'm going to have to check this out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

just fyi if you are using it in Ableton you have to use the AU version unfortunately, as the VST version will cause ableton to crash every single time you either remove the instrument or close the session

Running Logic, AU's are all I use. :smug:

I only really use VSTs/VSTi's in Reaper

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://outputsounds.com/products/signal/

Oh my god, this sounds so good. A friend of mine bought it and he absolutely loves it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

http://www.soundsonline.com/composercloud

So, the East West composers collection is now available on a subscription model. Thoughts?

Two tiers, sort of:

- $30/month gets you 7 packs of your choice, plus an additional pack with every 3 months of service.
- $40/month for everything, as well as all of the new stuff the moment they're released.

Right now, if you're a Soundsonline customer (or a friend of one, and they sent you a coupon/offer), you can get the full $40 version for $30.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I took the stuff that's available for the cloud subscription (the gold stuff, not the diamond, but who cares, really?), and added it together in a package. Came out to something like $3820, and that's not even including some stuff that I couldn't add, like the BT packs. I divided that by $30, and it would take someone 127 months (over 10 years) for the subscription to cost that much. Of course, this is assuming you're taking advantage of all of this stuff, and not just loading up Stormdrum to gently caress around once or twice a month.

If I had more regular sound work, I would sign up, at least for a few months. Finish a project, bounce all of the EW tracks to audio files, archive it, done. So you might not be able to edit it once your subscription runs out, but you'll still at least have the actual project. I can absolutely see why one wouldn't want their projects to rely on kind of a revolving debt situation and would prefer to actually own what you buy, but... poo poo, that's a huge selection for the monthly fee.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What I can say is that this doesn't need iLok! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

0dB posted:

With at least 20 identical sounding pianos.

Modartt's Pianoteq is the only one you need. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SineRider posted:

Pianoteq is seriously the best piano plugin out there imo. Never going back to sample based pianos again

The fact that it allows you to change the piano sound to exactly how you want it, move mics around, change up tunings, 128 (well, 127) true velocity levels, and even play/record in binaural mode, all at < 100mb, is a thing of beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=426eTR-Tpw8

No samples whatsoever! :toot:

I doubt that anyone in this thread hasn't heard of it, but hey, in case there's anyone out there, check it out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sizone posted:

Am I the only person in this thread who uses a desktop computer? Seriously, what do you guys play steam games on?

After using a laptop for years, I went desktop. Do you know how often I travel and work on audio? Never. I prefer having a home-base.

And as for Steam games, I installed another hard drive and have a separate OS X installation (Mavericks) for that, whereas my audio side is running 10.7 or 10.8, I can't remember.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

I use a desktop hackintosh and deliberately omitted an optical drive when I built the computer two years ago. Since that time Komplete has been the only piece of software to have necessitated such a drive.

I would totally have bought a digital-only version, but it's kind of cool owning a fat box of software with a binder full of discs, you just don't see that sort of thing anymore with anything still offered as physical media coming in a slim dvd case.

I'm with you there, I have this:

... and love having it on my shelf. Helps that they're awesome synths.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The default glockenspiel in Logic is... better than the Kirk Hunter one :stare:

Edit: oh, word of warning to anyone who wants to buy Kirk Hunter's orchestral collections, they're awesome but a) go for the hard drive option, and b) choose Kontakt over EXS24.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 17, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

When most people say drums sound fake it's usually because of the perfect timing and lack of variation and flourishes in the rhythms. But it sounds like you're more concerned with the actual tone of the drums.

This is very true, which is why I really love Logic's 'humanize' function. I hit that about 3-4 times, ensure no note starts before any given region, and I'm all set.

EDIT: Also, I can't recommend the Kork padKontrol enough. This thing is my go-to drum accessory, and I wouldn't want to write without it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 5, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy mother of god, that's terrible looking. :wtc: is going on with the keyboard image at the bottom?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I remember how one softsynth, I think it was OLGA, had a little spot near the top that you could click, and it would put a piece of junk up there, like an ashtray. Looked great, too.

I do enjoy the coffee stain on the M-Tron, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

Pianoteq has a physically modeled piano that kicks your CPU in the nuts but does not consume a gazillion gigabytes of disk space.

Kontakt's own library is pretty good but it's a gateway drug, NI really wants you to buy Komplete.

Most computers made in the last 5 years should be able to handle Pianoteq just fine.

Also, it's loving impeccable how nice it sounds, being completely and totally, well... math-driven. I'm always having to remind myself "none of this is sampled". Well-worth the price.