Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
ADSR is running a summer sale now. Of what's on sale, I have:

Instruments
  • Electrix - Electric piano with a very 70's feel. Not the most versatile, but if that's the sound you want, it's great.
  • Dark Grand Piano - Exactly what it says on the tin. It sounds beautiful. I really like this one.
  • DB33 - Hammond B3 simulator. I've been using this one a lot. It's fun, versatile, and sounds great.
  • Tape Piano - Lofi piano samples mangled by analog effects. This is my go-to loving around instrument.
  • minibit - 8 bit synth. Sounds like an NES and has a powerful wave shaper for extra fun.
  • Hybrid 3 - Extremely powerful, professional synth. Lots of presets, lots of fun, highly recommended.
  • Vacuum Pro - Tube based analog synth simulator. While not as flexible as Hybrid 3, it is still plenty powerful. Just be careful, because this one is LOUD.

Other plugins
  • Rule Tec EQ5M - solid state hardware emulated EQ. I wound up using this one a lot more than I thought I would, and it's become the first thing I throw on any guitar or bass track I record and on any song's drum buss.
  • Creative FX Collection Plus - This is fine if you want a one stop shop for every kind of basic plugin you could need, but I haven't really used these much. I have other plugins that serve these purposes that sound better
  • Analog Pro - I love this one. It's a saturation effect that emulates different kinds of hardware from solid state circuitry to vinyl to VHS tapes. The presets take a little tweaking to sound good, but it adds a lot of character to tracks that need them. I've used this one on my master buss to add some vinyl flavor to a spooky groove I'm working on now.

Anyone else have any recommendations? I'm interested in Super VHS and the AudioThing Springs reverb, specifically if it can get a good, splashy surf sound used on guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
SoundSpot is running a 90% off four or more plugins sale now. Union is a solid synth, Kinetik is my go-to guitar compressor, and FireFly is great on drum busses.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got the plugin pack, but haven't messed around with it too much. The saturation and reverb units are solid, though, especially for free.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Joke's on me for buying a couple cheap Kontakt instruments with just Kontakt Player. I get 15 minutes of editing and playback before having to restart Reaper. That's enough for me to use it for programmed midi lines, but sucks for exploring an instrument.

Does the full version go on sale regularly? $400 is really steep.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I hosed up there, but I can wait for the next sale to upgrade. I'll look into the cross grade path, too.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

excellent bird guy posted:

Just wanted to say, lmao Antares Auto-Tune is $400, what a stupid expensive price.

Can confirm ReaTune works fine for the tone deaf hobbyist.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Here's a list of 14 free autotune plugins. The free version of Grallion 2 has some neat spatial features in it, but I haven't played around with it enough to give it a recommendation.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a Paino VST that's better than Keyzone Classic (free or cheap preferred)? It's fine for a placeholder but I want something a little better for a finished song.

Air Music's Mini Grand is solid and currently in a bundle for $20: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/58-Inst-Bundle/1685-AIR-Creative-Collection

That also includes a really good B3 sim that I've been using quite a bit, too.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you're looking for a cheap Decapitator like saturation that will most likely get you 85% there, Audio Assault's Head Crusher is on sale for $7. I quite like it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Do any of the major acoustic drum VSTs (addictive, superior, ez, etc.) tend to go on sale on black friday? I have the packs that came with Ableton but it'd be nice to have something really full featured for when I'm doing rock/rnb type stuff

It isn't one of the heavy hitters, but I've been using and satisfied with SONiVOX's Universal Big Bang for a little while now, and so far its handled new wave, post punk, surf rock, funk, and 80s lofi goth rock really well. It's on sale for $4.99.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

Komplete also has some really good drum libraries, and I think there's a holiday sale on now.

1/2 off. I picked up Kontakt as my big purchase for myself this season for $200.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pretty much. It's a powerful, easy to use sampler that is easy to make libraries for, so there are tons of incredibly high quality sample libraries for it.

I'd rather use vst synthesizer plugins for synths for the flexibility, but for stuff like strings, horns, and other, weirder poo poo, it's hard to beat. I picked up Audiothing's Organetta on sale a while back which is a sampled toy organ from the 60's complete with a mix knob for the sound of the fan. Can't get something that out of the norm anywhere else.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have two of the four freebies they are offering. Royal Compressor is nice, but doesn't do anything really special. It saturates nicely when pushed, but it tend to go for a light touch with compressors and don't get much out of that.

Fundamental Bass, on the other hand, goes on every synth bass track I make. Being able to select a frequency at which to split the signal between bass and treble, with bass and treble both having independent stereo imaging letting me keep basa frequencies dead center mono and anything above the cutoff at some point in the stereo image that doesn't clash with anything else in the same frequency range, is incredibly powerful, especially with a strong envelope filter.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I use this, but have seen it (and got it) cheaper that the $20 sale price here: https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/software/air-music-tech-db-33-virtual-organ-instrument/

I'm very satisfied with it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Plugin Alliance is running a coupon code for any plugin outside of a handful for $29.99. Bx_Masterdesk and bx_console N are really nice for that price, with Masterdesk being the last plugin in my mix bus on my standard template. VSM3 is an awesome saturated that I've been using frequently, too.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
For reverb, Orilriver is a great free verb, and Devil's Spring from Lostin70s is the best free spring reverb sim I've ever heard. I use that over some paid spring reverbs I have for surf guitar lines.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
ADSR Sounds has Melda's MTurboEQ as its free with purchase promotion this month. Here's their on sale listings, annoyingly not showing prices, but you can still sort by price. https://www.adsrsounds.com/sale/plug-ins-sale/

I'll probably pick up that SONiVOX vocoder for $15 to get that equalizer. I could always make a song more annoying with something like that.

Wave table synthesis is something I've been meaning to explore more thoroughly. One of these days I need to sit down and watch a few videos on it, because right now I can't wrap my head around it beyond pretty basic sounds.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you can't afford Decapitator, Audio Assault's Headcrusher is close to it for $7. XCTR is a really nice multiband saturated for that price, too.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The GVST suite is really nice for basic, free, and old. GHi is the first plugin on most of my tracks as a simple, resource light high pass filter.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

2DCAT posted:

TAL Jup owns... New Softube Juno-106 also owns

The Cherry Audio DCO-106 is really nice, but it's somehow the most CPU heavy synth I own. It can eat up 4-5% of my CPU alone, whereas my second biggest heavy hitter, BIAS Amp, eats 2%.

x64 Reaper has jbridge automatically configured, so running 32-bit plugins work out of the box. I can see why it would have a fail safe for not automatically switching out .dll for .vst3 or 32 for 64-bit versions, though. Ita probably the same logic I'd it sees two plugins with the same name but different contents.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thanks for the feedback above. Between Vital (which looks great) and the free Native Instruments stuff, I imagine I will be limited by skills rather than "stuff" on the synth side for a long time.

Follow-up: recommend me some good general-purpose piano VSTs to look at, budget $0-$100. Must be beginner friendly (eg no need to do tons of fiddling out of the box). UVI Model D seems like a good middle of the road option?

I was looking at free options like the 99 Sounds Upright and Spitfire Soft Piano, but I don't mind splashing out a little if it makes for a much better experience.

ADSR has an AIR bundle with Mini Grand (sampled grand piano, sounds great but its ~2GB if I remember right), Hybrid 3 (modern synth with a nice sequencer), and Velvet 2 (Rhodes emulation) for $10, with FirePresser as the monthly freebie (nice compressor, allowing blending of 4 types of analog modelled compressors).

$10 is a hell of a deal for any one of those, let alone all 4. I definitely recommend it.

https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/software/air-music-tech-aip3-intro-software-bundle/

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah these are perfectly serviceable. But it's worth noting that they haven't really been updated in about 10 years, and regularly go on sale for $10 or less.

Air Music got bought by inMusic at some point, who also own Akai, M-Audio and Alesis. Like Sonivox, they're just being kept around as a shell so their VSTs can be packaged for free with cheap midi controllers. I don't think they're funded to do much more than maintain the plugins, though.

Huh, didn't know that. That explains the lack of updates beyond Big Sur compatibility. Still, old isn't bad, and my last and next album both use Air Music and Sonivox stuff on almost every song.

That said, if anyone knows of a synth that can thread the needle through functionality and old, dusty junker found in a closet after 40 years better than VacuumPro, I'd love to hear it. I picked up Knifonium last big sale, but that doesn't quite scratch the same itch, and more modern synths sound too pristine for the heavily punk influenced stuff I make.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I keep saying that I'm going to try and master a synth, specially Serum, and I never do.

I really gotta get on that.

Same, but then I get distracted by a bunch of free stuff like this and this, one thing leads to another, and, oops, have enough songs to start another album.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Iris is definitely worth it. How is Breaktweaker? I think I got it free or in a bundle a while back and haven't gotten into it yet.

Incidentally, Cherry Audio is running a sale on their synths for $29 per, and the PS-20 has become an instant go-to for me now. It's fantastic for a trashy punk sound.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday: make backups of my vst folders off of my Windows drive.

My OS got hosed up and it took about 4 hours getting everything reinstalled and authorized. At least I kept my revisions on a separate drive.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Turns out my OS got hosed up because I tried installing a SONiVOX product, which installed an older, conflicting version of PACE on my computer that bricks Win10 PCs. I've installed plenty of their stuff before which worked just fine, but I guess I took one too many spins and finally got the bullet.

I tested this by creating a restore point and reinstalling Big Bang Universal drums, their quite nice sounding and cheap in a bundle drum kit, which bricked my PC. This is weird as hell as I've used UBB for the drums on my past two albums with no issues, but oh well.

That means I need a new sample based midi drum kit plugin. I can make do with Kontakt, but I would prefer plain ol' VST. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Here is some music I make for reference: https://soundcloud.com/michaelnixmusic

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

NonzeroCircle posted:

Slate Drums 5.5 is my go to for "real" drums.
I like the kits that come with Komplete such as Session Drummer but as another poster mentioned, Kontakt routing can be horrid.
Midi Mapping in SSD is pretty unorthodox but after spending that initial time sorting out my Cubase drum map I have no problems with it

I think this is going to be the one for me. I don't need that level of control over mic placements, but I can't say no to that.

Ironically, I got my old drum vst working, but I'm still going to get SSD so I don't nuke my computer again. drat good thing I have a separate drive for recording.

As for synthesizer sounds, hahaha welcome down the rabbit hole, we're all mad here.

Vital is still the top tier free synth, but take a look through these. Vital doesn't come with presets, and if you're new to synthesizers, it can be daunting. Starting with something with presets is probably your best bet.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

free Trapt CD posted:

Is there a Hammond B3 VST/sample library anybody here can vouch for?

Don't need onboard effects or even a good Leslie - have all that covered already. Mainly hoping to use it for soul jazz, reggae, etc. but also the occasional rock/pop track when necessary (cf. those albums Felt did what have organ on them). Would like to be able to adjust drawbars myself, enable/disable percussion etc.

Have been using the AIR one which was free with Pro Tools but use it often enough I feel like I oughta invest in something higher quality. On windows and have kontakt. Modelling stuff absolutely ok but have an impression sample based will be best for this. Also not averse to more general organ collections and could always go for a Vox Continental, Farfisa, even a Solina, if those were also included, but if something's gonna take up 50gb of disk space it's a no go.

Would really appreciate any experiences or advice! Currently eyeing the Sound Dust one...

For free, HaNon B70 and Collab3 are good.

For Farfisa and Vox Continental freebies, Combo Model F and Combo Model V are great. They may not be 100% authentic, but they sound good and are free.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Waves makes you pay for plugin updates after one year. I don't know how long the plan lasts, but, yeah, that's what that is.

For the record, I have a bunch of amp sims, but GTR isn't the best. It has a dual amp setup which is nice, but none of the amps feel natural to me. Electrum and, of course, BIAS blow it out of the water.

SwankyAmp is a great free amp sim. I use it over the paid stuff when I need something quick.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Plugin Alliances' plugins are both incredibly good and hilariously overpriced. Luckily, they run sales almost daily and subscribers to their newsletter get pretty regular $20 off coupons, so you can get some really expensive stuff affordably. The Vertigo VSM-3 and bx_masterdesk were on the mix buses of every song on my last album, Console_N, their Neve console emulation, was on most of the songs, and Knifonium is a wild synth that gives me weird sounds I can't get from anything else.

Those guys go crazy with their bx line. The Console_N isn't just an emulation of their in house console, but they modeled each of its 72 channels to get the infinitesimally small differences between them.

For a while, they had their Ampeg SVT-VR Classic bass amp sim free, which I used on this song for a really nice driven bass sound. It's my go to not-free bass amp sim.

Incidentally, the reason I'm harping on free vs paid plugins is that I'm working on a little video series on how to make decent enough for release sounding songs as cheaply as possible with the gear I have. It won't be ready for a while yet, but it's a fun challenge.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Cherry Audio DCO-106 Juno emulation is $25 on Plugin Boutique as part of CA's big summer sale.

Their thing is to model the original hardware as closely as possible, then update them to add features not found on the hardware, like making the Korg MS-20 polyphonic, changing the weird terminology on its patch panel, adding a three section sequencer, and a bunch of effects because, gently caress it, they can so why not, on their PS-20.

Goddamn I love the PS-20. It's so delightfully trashy.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
gently caress bought the wrong one someone get Pauly Shore out of my loving house

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
AirWondows stuff is great, but I really wish he had an easier to navigate site so I could read descriptions of what each does without sorting through blog posts. I've been delving into them for a video series I hope I have time to make soon.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Awesome! Thanks, that's just what I needed.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Artiria V Collection is not on sale right now. Here's the response I got from Plugin Boutique:

"Huge apologies for this, unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances the Arturia V sale has had to be pulled from the site for the time being. Please keep an eye on our newsletters and the Deals page to make sure you are notified when the sale comes back online.

"Sorry again for any inconvenience caused."

That's a pretty sizeable mistake, and one they haven't corrected in a follow up email. Probably for the best I don't spend $300 right now, though.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Labs is great, but I think there's some licensing for the BBC Orchestra library that the free version can't be used for paid or sold work, only free, non-professional stuff.

Plugin Boutique sent me another email saying that the Arturia deal ending early was due to a "miscommunication" between the two of then. They made good sending me a one time coupon for the original deal, and I was in the process of signing paperwork for a new job when I got that email, so I got myself a little victory collection of 28 softsynths.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of an oil can delay vst? I found the Tel-Ray Delay, but that looks like it's aax only.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Plugin Boutique has Pulsar stuff on sale with a few options for a free add-on. Now I got this freaking Echorec plugin and it sounds awesome, and has a super thoughtful UI with great tooltips also. I have never tried Softube's plugin but I feel that this delay is very distinct in its sound, well worth checking out. I am really liking it as a saturator/tone conditioner in its "Off" delay mode too, that's a cool addition.

I've heard good things about the Audiority one too and it's on sale at a similar price atm, seems a little grittier maybe. I think it didn't used to do the preamp thing but they updated it to be able to, among other stuff. :shrug:

Edit: Ok, checked out The Orb that I picked up as a freebie for getting the delay - holy crap this is a lot cooler than I expected. Powerful filtering, some very cool results possible with this for sure. I put it on a bass track and immediately loved it.

The Audiority Echoes T7E is my go to vocal delay. It feels like a halfway point between delay and reverb, giving what I run through it a sort of rhythmic smear. It's more subtle than most delays, but it's great gor thickening parts that need a little more power.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Blue Lab is halting development and are offering all of their plugins free while their server is still up. I haven't had the chance to use them yet, but there's some cool looking stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
My go to when programming drums is to do it in Hydrogen, then export them into a midi file and transpose them in Reaper to match up with whichever drum plugin in using. It's a little roundabout, but I haven't found a Reaper compatible midi editor that allows me to build and place patterns and only a handful of drum plugins that allow it, and that's the fastest way for me to program a song