Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I guess people on macs dont get to play huh :smith:

Yes. Yes we do. Plus we get to have AU plugs too. On the other hand we dont have DX plugs, but uh, sonar lol (I have no idea if sonar still only takes directx plugs. This might be like 5-6 years ago)

Anyway. The plugs I own:

Native Instruments B4: Utterly wonderful sounding hammond emulation, totally sick for reggae and old school rock

Peti: Mainly just use it for an accordion sound in one song. Its okish.

Amplitube: Bit of a bank breaker, but in my opinion the best sounding guitar vst around. I know Native Instruments guitar rig has lots more bits and pieces, but Amplitube just feels warmer and less zoom-pedal to my ears.

And an assortment of poo poo freeware ones. Gotta admit I crystal is a kind of fun if not a bit perplexing synth.

Want list: Arturia minimoog: That thing sounds fan-loving-tastic.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm working on some blues jams for a project. What's a good (sub-$150 if possible) B3 organ VST?

Native Instruments used to a have a loving amazing one that I'd stick on a laptop and use for stage and it sounded loving amazing. Like, better than Nords monsterishly expensive organs good.

Then they tanked it and replaced it with Kontakt instruments that really dont have the tweakability to give me what I need.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for free solo strings?
I have the free BBC orchestra this page has been talking about and the standard version of Komplete 13 and a solo violin/viola/cello is the only hole I have that I can't seem to find a decent freebie for- it's not something I'd use enough to make it worth the general 100ish companies want for these things, but I struggle with getting the ancient ones included in Kontakt to sound good. I'm probably SOL here I know but it's worth an ask in case I missed anything.
I use Cubase on Windows.

For a lot of the really cheap orchestral stuff the big problem is Native Instruments Kontakt player is kind of the troll at tne bridge you gotta pay. Basically NI charges an optional license fee to sample library makers. If they pay it, you can use the library their free Kontakt player. If they don't you have to use the paid Kontakt player. Kontakt is a pain in the rear end to work with too Its ancient and it shows, espeically with the audio routing.

A cheap, but not really, option is EastWests composer cloud. Its a $20 a month subscription but its a staggeringly huge amount of instruments and they are all pretty drat high quality. The catch is the Play engine, Eastwests answer to Kontakt is seriously heavy on CPU, Ram and Disk. You want a beefy machine if your planning on doing full orchestra arangements. They dont seem to do tutti style libraries (like Albion One or Metropolis Ark) but they do have a decent set of ensemble patches in there. Its a great alternative if you dont want to fork out many thousands fueling a never ending sample library fetish. But just be aware Play kind of sucks. They;'ve been promising a new player, Opus, thats supposed to solvre those issues but until thats out, consider it vaporware. Also their Choir and Eth]nic instrument libraries are world class. Oh and you'll want a good terabyte of SSD space to put it all on.

Personally I've moved to Spitfire as Ive been trying to drastically reduce the number of subscriptions I use. So im using BBCSO Core, Solo strings, Abbey Road One foundations and Albion, and Im promising myself no more libs until I get a new job because thats already $2KAUD righ there in libraries or my missus will tear my dick off for blowing too much money

duck monster fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 5, 2021

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

field balm posted:

What are y'all favourite free/cheap amp sims/bundles? I'm trialling bias fx right now but I'm not super impressed to be honest. Everything sounds scratchy. So far my best sound has been running some free dirt pedal plugins straight into cabinet irs lol. I don't really want to spend more than fifty bucks or something. Looking for medium to high gain, mid heavy tones

Secondary question, is there a certain input level amp sims expect? I usually just set up my input so it doesn't clip when I bash the poo poo out of the strings?

I've got , and paid for, Amplitude, Guitar rig, a bunch of the Neural DSP stuff, GTR and Bias's stuff, and Bias hands down wins to my ears. Its just really useable sounding stuff. That said, before my guitar hits the interface, its going through an outboard DI , 1073 clone preamp and an RNC compressor, so I've got my gain structure on lock. Get that part right (And honestly, just keep your incoming sound somewhere above -20 and below -12db on the daw, let the plugin do the distortion), and you'll be fine. I don't know if the amps modelled are "accurate" , maybe, theres an IR loader if your not happy with it, but to my ears it sounds right on.

Now if I could just get that sound when using my Tape setup. I guess a sm57 on an AC30 will have to do. :/

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I've recently moved over to the Softube world (I've always been a knobs and hardware things guy, being I spent a decade and a half recording to multitrack tape before finally moving over DAWs somewhat late in the game and still find myself pining for knobs and dials ever since.). I've been using Waves Omnichannel as my workhorse channel strip for 4-5 years, pretty soon after it came out, but it was getting hard to ignore just how crufty it is. It sounds OK, but ugh, its a mess UI wise and it seems to accumulate mud once you've distributed it across a mix.

So I got the softube console 1 and British class A and THAT thing really does sound like the hardware I grew up on but better in all the ways that count. Its just clean, has a nice neve-ish warmth (Which works well with my rack of golden age pre's , as the instruments plugins can kinda be coherced into sounding like they where "recorded" on the same hardware as my mics and DI boxes) things work the way I expect them to.

I'm told the American class A might be even better sounding.

The problem is , 40-50 tracks of this stuff really chugs the gently caress out of my PC (year old laptop w/ modern AMD laptop ryzen, 32gigs ram, all on internal SSDs). So I'm thinking I gotta accelerate this stuff because I'm not actually sure how combine Console 1's workflow with track freezing (It needs a plugin on each channel).

So I'm told UAD and Softube work together pretty well and the Console one recognizes UADs plugins and works with them. The question I have is, if I move across to something like the UAD Sattelite 2, I really cant afford to buy into the Apollos yet, $$$$$, on USB-C (Alas, AMD laptop dont do thunderbolt) can the Sattelites run the core Console one plugins? I cant seem to get a straight answer on whether I'd need to repurchase the plugins, if I can cross-grade, or if I'd be poo poo out of luck.

Man it'd be good if Antelope Audio and Softube got together. Those actually I really can afford, and I'm told Antelope have corrected from their previous course of fuckery quite well.

Anyone got insight here?

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

I don't have any experience with UAD, but are you using groups for your mixing?
I often use stock/lighter stuff on my individual channels then group them down and use the more CPU intensive things on my group channels.
I also will render stuff down when I'm fairly happy with it so I don't have a bunch of, say, ampsims, chewing things up.

Yeah I do. Especially if Reverbs are involved. But the whole concept with the Console one is you put the plugin on *every* channel, and it handles groups and stuff like that for you from the hardware.