Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Yawgmoth posted:

In any game crit fail rules are generally terrible, but in D&D they're exceptionally terrible because of the huge amount of rolls you're making.

The odds of rolling snake-eyes with D20s is 1/400. It's not a bad "flavor" rule as long as everyone's ok with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Strange Matter posted:

At this point the chat explodes into hysterics as he adjusts his aim and fires right into Lisa's womb, which, in conjunction with me hitting her with the van, does enough damage to kill her outright. She goes down and is shriveling up and Gary goes over to her and delivers a coup de grace with his gun to her head while saying "Happy Mother's Day."

So yeah. Unknown Armies owns.

This is an awesome story and I would like to hear more awesome stories like it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Doc Hawkins posted:

Was it the best thing ever?

Was it the worst thing ever?

If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then you should definitely post it. If not, then you should heistate.

Under no circumstances should you poll the thread to see if we want it enough.

Only the highest quality cat piss stories for this thread, sirrah.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fighting-Fefnir posted:

The end result was an evil Aasimar Paladin with Diplomacy unrivaled by any I've seen since.

To give you an idea, the first scene was the party talking to a quest giver NPC, and our DM, who decided making things up on the spot was good planning, was kind enough to provide him with some arbitrary high stats. He was using it as a gigantic and utterly bland infodump when a friend leaned over and gave me an idea.

Me: "I roll charisma to make him stop talking."
DM: "Okay, but I don't think you have the stats to-"
Me: *rolls natural 20 on my first roll ever* "And that's plus... 23 for my diplomacy skill, and another 15 in various bonuses from the custom equipment you made for me. Does 58 beat it?"
DM: "...He closes his mouth and walks away. The quest is never given, and the world is saved. You all lose."

The faces of the rest of the group: Priceless.

I'll be honest; I'd allow it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

General Maximus posted:

You can't say that and not elaborate.

Peasant Railgun.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MissMarple posted:

And so there we are; clad only in loincloths and carrying bone spears rather than the system-usual power armour and gigantic weapons, when our Psyker manages to accidentally summon a Chaos Daemon Prince.

:suicide:

Well you brought him some BBQ so I don't see what the problem is :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Colon V posted:

Oh. I'm behind on my :spergin:. Well, it's personal canon for me, now, that Greivous kept his internals so he could still be a part of the living Force, and that Lightsabers require a connection to the Force, for power, for proper use, which is why you don't just have everyone running around with them.
:goonsay:

I thought "being rear end-difficult to create" and "once created, they're owned for life" were the reason you don't see everyone running around with them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

flatluigi posted:

Were the pancakes still inside?

Is it bad that this was my first thought as well?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: Nevermind, dumb idea. DCB is awesome.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Axelgear posted:

The Adventurer's Guild's members emerge the next morning to see one of their wizards nailed to a cross, rib cage opened like it was tissue paper, with an inflated, living badger in the middle staring with great bemusement at them.

I can only hope that he was playing the bagpipes at some point here :3:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

35. Ring of Spider Summoning (summons 1d6 non-magical, non-poisonous, average sized spiders)
36. The rules for playing solitare (how does this always end up shuffled in? sorry guys, just deal another card)
37. A delicious sandwich
38. A bland, slightly dry sandwich

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 23, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

InfiniteJesters posted:

39. A Jill sandwich. 1d20 zombies and 1d6 Umbrella Corporation commandoes appear and fight you for the sandwich.

40. A sexy sandwich. A male and female (where applicable) of your species suddenly appear in front of and behind you and grind on you. Whether this is a good outcome is up to you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

54. A giant turtle becomes your fierce ally. However, it is deathly afraid of water and refuses to enter bodies of water.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

21. Everyone just play dead until the bear goes away

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dammit Who? posted:

You want to murder children based solely on their race, and you're calling him Hitler?

That depends, did someone cast Tensor's floating gas chamber?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Clanpot Shake posted:

So I've got this drow grappled, and instead of coup de gracing him or otherwise attacking him, I use Intimidating Glare, climbing up his spindly body, grabbing him by the collar, and in my best Bale Batman voice asking "WHERE IS HE?!" (the diplomat)

I assume it was something like this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You didn't answer the most important question:

Did you ever get your Raven mini back?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Here To Help posted:

We were hearing a lot of rumors about an old decrepit moathouse that was infested with cultists and monsters. All he could talk about was who owned the deed to the moathouse? How much would it cost for us to buy the moathouse?

I reasoned that since it was an abandoned moathouse filled with monsters no one 'owned' it and that if we wanted to set up a base there or whatever it would be free. This answer was not satisfactory and we spent quite a while in town unsuccessfully trying to find the rightful owner of this fine property.

The appropriate thing to do is to have some unscrupulous grifter get wise to this, proclaim that he is the rightful owner, thank you for clearing out the beasties, and offer to sell the place to you for a sweetheart deal for your kind service. Oh, just half of your gold, whatever that is, that's fine.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Colon V posted:

I don't think regularly doing something that could get you arrested as an accomplice to murder can count as pacifism.

In all fairness your honor, that beholder was looking at us funny and was clearly trying to start something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

The best thing to do would have been to let it go the first or second time he emailed you.

I know it's hard but you had pretty much won by default by being the non-sperg and now you're making sockpuppet accounts to defend yourself so...

Seriously, just let it go. You're hoping that he's going to be persuaded that he was wrong and you were right or something like that, and it's NEVER going to happen.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

It's true. Normally I'm bored to tears by Star Wars, but reading about this game amazing.

This, completely. Your posts are a shining beacon in a sea of "And so then his rape-druid raped all of us :ohdear:"

Edit: The death star is going to blow up Coruscant, calling it now.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 3, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The majority also fled, but around ninety of the Imperial ships - including three Imperial I Star Destroyers - surrendered. Of the three SDs, two scuttled their bridges while the third is actually almost pristine because the crew rebelled and spaced all the officers who expected them to lay down their lives for no (to them) good reason.

It's not enough to make our fleet big enough to take on the Death Star, or even the two SSDs at Kuat, but it's still a nice boost that goes a long way towards replacing some of the losses we took in the fight for Coruscant (especially if we can get those two ISDs up and running again).

As nice as ISDs are, an Executor class SSD has literally 100 times the firepower, not to mention that each is going to come with its own flotilla of SDs and frigates.

If three SDs go a long way towards reconstituting your fleet, you are boned :(

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

That is amazing. I was concerned about the cat character making this a worst experience, but it turned out to be the best experience.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

LuiCypher posted:

Any advice on how to prevent a campaign with evil characters from becoming chaotic stupid? I think it's ironic that after writing about how my group is trying not to kill each other that as soon as we start a new Pathfinder game, all of the players decide (I was the last to roll a character, so I fell in line to promote some sense of cooperation) to roll evil...

Evil characters are not irrational characters, just morally limited. If one of your party members is going to screw up your schemes of world domination, kill them. Darwinism is the best way to weed out the chaotic stupid here.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Doc Hawkins posted:

Presumably he means they have stunted moral sensibilities.

Alternately, talk to the players, your friends, and find out what you all want from the game? It's just crazy enough to work.

:cry: My verisimilitude! :cry:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

JimmyT64 posted:

Every time any of the groups I have ever played with have ever spent more than 10 minutes planning for anything, crashing a spaceship into the problem has been put forward as the most efficient solution.

Even in high fantasy games.

In all fairness, it may not be the EASIEST solution but it's probably the most EFFECTIVE solution.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I just had a Best Experience right here on Something Awful.

If you were unaware, there's a Play-by-post forum here; one style of games that seems fairly prevalent uses the PDQ system, and is called a "Godgame;" you're playing a deity of some sort who goes around doing God stuff. Go team you.

One of these games is JamezBfod's Patchworld, in which everyone starts off as a dinky little +2 deity and has the chance to grow in power as one accumulates worshippers and such. Back in December, my character, Padavine the rain-goddess, was killed - oops.

(Pretty much a fuckup on my part combined with an unclear understanding of the rules)

Well, Jamez was cool and gave me the opportunity to keep playing as a mortal follower of Padavine trying to revive her; this character, whose name is Bad (yes, I know, make your jokes now), has driven a bunch of plot despite being the single character in the game who can barely do anything. He has also developed a tendency to try and help make the world a better place despite the fact that he is always wildly outclassed in every fight he gets in - and he's been lucky enough to survive. Hell, thrive, even.

Earlier tonight a god named Sothhude got killed and his death allowed an otherworldly horror to attempt to emerge into this plane and eat everyone, which would be bad, and as Bad was nearby and noticed it, he decided - naturally - to do something about it. And so he decided to try to hit the Cthulhu-analogue with a stick.

GM flips a coin to see if this plan has even a chance to succeed. Lands my way. GM makes rolls; essentially, we tie. GM flips another coin as a tiebreaker... it falls my way.

My mortal hit Cthulhu with a stick and Cthulhu basically stopped and went "Ow! Dude, that stings!" and stopped trying to enter our reality long enough, I'm hoping, for the actual Gods to show up and close the hole he's trying to come in through.

Gods are cool and all, but... mortal with a stick beats all, it would appear.

That thread is on my "to-read" list. I love the PDQ Godgame threads, but they just tend to peter out way too quickly. I Am Communist seems to be doing a great one in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492111 though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pththya-lyi posted:

I once played a Jedi character whom I decided would turn out to be a lesbian. It was supposed to be a big reveal, as not even the character understood that she was gay - and why would she, living a sheltered existence in a universe where every canon character is either A) heterosexual or B) asexual? (Yes, there are a couple of gay characters in the EU, but they're very obscure and certainly nobody my character would have heard of.)

But then when my Jedi first said "I've never been interested in boys," everybody went: :smug: "Oooh, I see." So her coming-out surprised absolutely nobody when it eventually came.

With all of the weird stuff in the star wars universe, I think homosexuality ranks pretty low on the "well that's odd" scale.

C3PO never forget :gay:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Suleman posted:

Aberrant: The Colonel

the Doomcock

What Axelgear said. It sounds like when all you have is a chicken-shaped hammer, everything looks like a chicken-shaped nail, and that is fantastic.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Suleman posted:

Coming up:
Cardinal BRIAN BLESSED
Chasing a naked assassin with an air gondola
Hunt for the knife man, who is made of knives
The invisible assassins and their seeing-eye animals

Please post all of these.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Username/post combo should say it all, Doktor Per.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Captain Bravo posted:

Rattican City

This is how you have a fun adventure without rape. They didn't rape those rats even once.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 22, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Clanpot Shake posted:

Well, everything they've found out about this terrorist points to his actions being justified. All of his past targets they've dug up have had Inquisitorial files opened on them, signs pointing to heretic, and in this case the noble they were sent to kill had committed enough bribery, coercion and blackmail to warrant his death. The terrorist also said he suspected the man was involved in heretical activity, as he suspects most of the upper hive is. When they killed him, they found he was indeed a heretic (in addition to being a scumbag), so the terrorist's claims have been pretty much verified. It's just that his methods are so extreme.

Basically, they're nominally on the same side but don't want him to carry out his plans of killing millions of people in an effort to "save the planet", and he's been tight-lipped about exactly how much info he has on the people in the upper hive - the targets of his bomb plot. They don't trust him one lick, and after this last session it looks like they're leaning more toward putting him down and dealing with the fallout than allowing or participating in his plot to murder millions for the nebulous reason of "saving the planet".

That's fair, except that widespread heresy can doom the planet just as surely as collapsing those pylons can destroy the city.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nietzschean posted:

Better that millions of innocents die than a few heretics go free to infect further millions with their heresy and doom the entire planet to Exterminatus.

Its basically the thesis of 40k. One latent psycher kills a planet. One genestealer cult prepares it for the tyranids. One heretic cult of greedy nobles brings the planet to chaos.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Your campaign is awesome.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sniper4625 posted:

"Roll to clench buttocks."

To be fair, that DOES make one hell of a metaphor.

Edit: I cannot stop laughing from that line. It is just TOO good!

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 1, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The funny thing about small businesses is that they have a tendency to fail.

Want a nice plot hook? One of the folks you had a contract out that "disappeared" ends up getting stumbled over by someone in the church, and the gig is pretty much up.

Those arena fights sure are nice, until one of those animals you capture and send back kills its opponent and then jumps into the crowd and starts wrecking your patrons. Suddenly, they're paying for hush money and maintainance but not making nearly the same income. That little arena of theirs is now a money sink instead of a way to gain income.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

would there be any interest in

yes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Besides, building a Jedi-killer is easy. It's called a buckshot. Lightsabers can't parry area-of-effect attacks.

Force push :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Golden Bee posted:

Then again, players ALWAYS latch on to minor details.

If you say they're discussing which goblin chef makes the best stew, the rest of the play session will involve a transracial cooking contest. Guaranteed.

The players will attempt to escape by demanding a cook off. I would support this, rule of cool etc.