Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Has anyone ever seen the option to get a tomahawk not frenched?

I mean the best part is what you gnaw off the bone anyway soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Jan posted:

Our local grocery store started stocking beef back ribs and it feels like some sort of cheat code. They're ugh so good, like condensed little prime ribs. And yet they don't seem to be a popular cut compared to pork ribs, so this is what ~7$ got us:

Going to be smoking it on the Traeger this afternoon, but for comparison's sake this is what the previous one looked like:

:getin:
Hnnnngh. Can you say what store or what area so I know whether to hope at all?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I use a sharp knife to make a long shallow slit between ribs, then pull with a paper towel. That works pretty well when I bother. Tbh mostly I don't. I don't find it very noticeable.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It depends on what other food you have, but if the crew is a dozen BBQ-loving guys, I would figure more than half a pound each. Worst case, you have leftovers, which is amazing

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Wait what? I thought helldumping was bringing in info from other forums/threads and involving third parties.

atothesquiz repeats stuff I M Gei has frequently said himself in this same thread, and that's helldumping?

Meanwhile I M Gei goes into a different thread to bring drama there and calls atothesquiz a piece of poo poo, and that's okay?

e: lol apparently he edited it out after 2 hours so you wouldn't see it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Stew details please? I always get the whole rack and just eat around the cartilage

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Penzey's Barbecue of the Americas. Ignore their suggestions, just cover ribs and pork shoulders with it. Their other rubs are good too, but Barbecue of the Americas :discourse:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Lawnie posted:

This is super close to meathead’s Memphis dust recipe. I love penzey’s so I’m not saying don’t buy the premixed stuff, but I try to use their spices whenever I make up a batch of Memphis dust.
I don't really like Memphis dust, so I had to compare!

Memphis dust: brown sugar, white sugar, sweet paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, ginger, onion, rosemary
Barbecue of the Americas: salt, paprika, allspice, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, black pepper, thyme, ginger, white pepper, cinnamon

I think even if you were to add sugar to BotA, they'd still have different flavor profiles. I agree using Penzey's to mix your own whatever is great, though!

tater_salad posted:

I use their BBQ 3000 and 3001 on lots of poo poo.
I have leftover BBQ 3001 ribs in my fridge right now :getin:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
As someone who lives in an apartment, I'm very interested in your adventures in stealth barbecue

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
ATK recommends salting and then letting it stand for 15 min first to cut way down on the external protein. Works well but I've only tried it for pan-seared, not hot smoked. https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a52904/white-stuff-cooked-salmon-albumin/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I agree potatoes totally aren't weird as a side. Personally my favorite kind is mashed, red with the skins on and still a little lumpy, with herbs and garlic. If they're used to pommes purée, it would be different and American, although not sure whether in a good or bad way. Mashed reheat super well, but if you have time the day of, you could do whatever other kind you want. If you do baked potatoes, you can add pulled pork to them as a topping.

Any fresh vegetable cooked until crisp-tender is another great side. The big one here is corn (maize) on the cob, but if it's not a thing there, fresh green beans or peas in the pod would be great. Just don't overcook them!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I haven't done it before, but I would season and reseal. Allows you the chance to add a splash of liquid smoke to the bag.

life is killing me posted:

I don’t really use liquid smoke, I imagine it could enhance smoke flavor though?
I love liquid smoke as long as it's real (Wright's is good, Colgin isn't). I wouldn't add it if you're actually smoking, but if you're doing the whole thing in SV or crock pot, and then broiling, I definitely would. Imo it gets kind of funky if you add it before a long cook. I add it only at the end when I'm pulling the pork (which also distributes it better).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I agree I wouldn't do it, but if you want to try it, I would at least do ghee for much less water

Absurdly decadent, but if you really want those notes, you could just make a brown butter sauce and pass it at the table

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

But if it’s cryovacced it will smell like rear end when you first open it but that will dissipate. That’s just something that pork does in cryovac.
Agreed, don't overlook this. Vacuum-sealed pork smells horrific when you open it, even if it's good

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Tell me how it is. I want to buy it, but only if it's pretty much an offline version of Amazing Ribs
It's good. It's $21ish new, or cheaper used. I feel like I've gotten more than that out of the website anyway

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can use paper towels to improve your grip when dragging them off.

Honestly I also feel that they mostly disappear during cooking, so I've started leaving them. It makes sense you want everything flawless for a competition, but for myself on a Tuesday, eh, it's fine.
e: this is for pork, I don't know about beef because $$$$

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 11, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Vacuum-sealed can have dates that far out. I'm hoping that's the case to even consider it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah no, use it or freeze it by 7/17

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There are a couple different kinds. My favorite kind are the ones that are basically just bone-in pork chops with half the eye. I cook 'em like pork chops

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 7, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think insurance companies are also making it more difficult/expensive to do fills vs. a Blue Rhino style swap. My family has a vacation home in rural NH, the local store was just acquired and they almost immediately changed from doing fills to swaps only - the stated reason was insurance.

It sucks for that area though, because that place gets loving cold and there are people who use propane for heat during the winter with larger tanks. I'm not sure what the alternative for them is.
My family is in rural New England. To heat your house, you usually have a huge stationary tank (either rented or purchased from the company). About once a year as needed, they send a truck to fill it. Around here they're usually called oil companies or heating oil companies even though what they're delivering is gas. Anyway, one of those companies will do it even if a local hardware or grocery store won't.

efb

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I wouldn't do it for a pork butt, but pork ribs are so thin / have ao much surface area relative to mass that they should thaw quickly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If that even a thing or is it just a way to tell your wife you need 3 more briskets for reasons

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can definitely do just s+p and love it, but paring it back beyond that seems unenjoyable for most people

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Honestly anything that prevents me from spending $40/lb on restaurant barbecue seems like an unalloyed positive

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Pork tenderloin never ever gets that cheap here. Loin maybe?

Chicken is still usually cheaper — quarters as low as $0.70/lb, whole chickens $1/lb on sale. I guess if you’re really dedicated you would price out the bone weight

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Totally a judgment call, but I would also go with grilling.

Btw, for the low and slow step, give yourself a ton of time. Depends on the thickness, but it can easily take >2 hours. Not ideal if you have anyone sitting and staring at you at 8pm as you ruin the cookout

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Tl;dr I’m invited to someone’s backyard to use their pellet smoker. This is probably a one-time deal. The star of the show that I’m making for that dinner will be ATK’s smoked chuck roast, which is absolutely amazing and I totally recommend.

Bearing in mind the smoker will be 350° for a couple hours, what other bits and pieces can I throw in? Sides would be cool, but I’m really thinking of treats I can take home and spread out for a week. Like, I would absolutely love to do salmon, but I think the temp is too high for even hot smoked, right? What else?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 21, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm scratching my head at that recipe.

Smoke it low and slow to 200F and shred/slice - I get that. Mini brisket. That's what I do, too.

Smoke it hot and fast to a medium-ish doneness with a good sear and slice very thin - OK, I'd believe it if you told me that was good. Bet it would be good on a baguette with some aioli and peppers.

Smoking at 350 until it just hits well done - seems like you would just have chewy, well-done meat?
It’s because it’s a chuck. Think about making pot roast with a chuck, you do it in the oven at 350°, and it’s fall-apart in only a few hours, right? With a nice fatty chuck, it kind of self-braises(??) in the closed environment and ends up falling apart more than slicing neatly. It’s definitely well done, but almost more like pork shoulder than brisket. (ATK’s comparison was beef clod, which I haven’t had.) The downside of the shorter cook time is less smoke, but it still ends up being enough imo.

I tried it for the first time because I only had access to a gas grill (and a tank of propane), but it was great imo. Would totally recommend giving it a shot when chuck goes on sale near you.

If anyone has access, this is the official link: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/9685-barbecued-chuck-roast It’s paywalled but there may be comments from other people who’ve made it

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 21, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Change of plans caused by rain. Friend said “don’t bother coming over early to make it, I’ll just throw it in, and you just come in time for dinner”

Friend did throw it in.

Friend then pulled it out hours early because “she thought it was getting toward well-done” and served it ice-cold with all the texture of London broil

Friend doesn’t deserve a smoker

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

A meat thermometer would have prevented that.
The point is it was supposed to be way beyond well-done, it was supposed to be pullable. She just was thinking of a totally different goal. She would’ve ignored the thermometer the same way she ignored the recipe

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The story only gets weirder. The chuck was supposed to be the centerpiece, but one person (thinks she) doesn’t like smoked meat. So she made dried-out oven ribs instead that were just supposed to be a backup for her. The chuck was served ice-cold cut into small bites in a cereal bowl. The ribs were straight from the oven and obviously everyone ate that instead. I think one other person had one bite of chuck.

The good (I guess) news is that the host handed me all the chuck that wasn’t cut up, so like 4+ pounds, to take home. I don’t have smoker access, but I guess I could probably oven braise it like a normal pot roast to make it edible??

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

sir....Sir!.....SIR! 205 is overcooked! 203 is perfection.

E: also that dinner party is nuts. Why own a smoker if you're just gonna gently caress up ribs in an oven? Is this a close friend? Its very strange.
It is a family friend who’s a boomer :ms:

The oven ribs were for another guest who wanted to join the barbecue vibes but who refuses to eat smoked meat. Her favorite food is bacon. Also a boomer

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Do that chuck roast I posted awhile back? Higher temp lower time, lots of beefy goodness

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Nobody suggested you share

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

Has anyone smoked a whole turkey recently? Do you feel spatchcock is necessary? What about brining?

I kind of feel if I was going to spatchcock it I'd just go all the way and cut it into two halves, which would be way easier to brine if I was going to do that, too.
My primary complaint is that often directions for spatchcocking or halving will tell you to toss the backbone. Keep it, cook it right alongside, and enjoy the oysters and crispy skin secretly in the kitchen

I. M. Gei posted:

I misremembered the temps and cooked it to 160° at 250° instead of 150° at 225°. So yeah, maybe a tad overcooked and a little under-cured (I may have underestimated the amount of liquid in my cure and not used enough Prague powder). :sweatdrop:

It's not a lab-tested recipe though, and Meathead is pretty clear to never ever make those ever because food safety, so I'm paranoid I did a bad thing.
I don’t know anything about the recipe or what you did, and nobody can identify the presence or absence of clostridium from a photo, but “not enough Prague powder” seems like the #1 way you don’t want to gently caress up

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I’m going to be bothering this thread a lot more because I just got this cheap indoor smoker (manual here). Yes this is a sad imitation of the real thing, but I have an NYC apartment with no outdoor space, and I don’t have money or space for the sick GE indoor smoker, so here we are. If it can beat a bottle of liquid smoke, I’m happy. Early tests with fish have been delightful.

I’m marinating jerk chicken kebabs. I’m thinking instead of hot smoking until done, which will yield a steamed texture, I can cold smoke them for some amount of time, then actually cook them under my oven broiler? How long should I smoke, maybe 30 minutes?

I got this 8-pack of wood chips. These are super tiny chips designed for a cocktail smoker, so they’re smaller and combust faster than I want. Does anyone know of a source/type of chips that are more like a dime to a quarter in size? I really don’t want to get the regular giant bag and try to cut down the chips somehow (again, NYC apartment). Apparently pellets don’t work.

Also, out of those eight woods, any suggestions which to pick for jerk chicken? I know pimento and allspice are traditional, but obviously not happening here. Maybe pecan?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 8, 2024

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks! That size bag is great, but the issue is the size of the chips themselves. The device only has a very small area the chips need to fit into. I don’t know if there’s anything between cocktail smoking chips, which are like a grain of rice or a fingernail clipping (small enough to fit, but burn too fast), and regular chips that are maybe like 2x2” (won’t fit and I can’t really chop wood here).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Zarin posted:

Seems like the largest ones (of what's left of this bag) are only about 50% larger than a Quarter, with most smaller than one:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...ce470b0ee19f98&
Thanks for the pic! I don’t think most of those would work, can’t do more than maybe an inch in any direction, and maybe 1/2” thick max. I think breaking them down would be fine if I had outdoor space and a machete or something, but if I had outdoor space then I would have an actual smoker :smith:

It’s technically doable in my kitchen, but I don’t want to gently caress up my good knives on wood chips. Good news is I’m going to my parents’ house in a couple weeks, so I can mess with a bag of big chips there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Device maker says not to, plus warnings from other users of the device. I think, like the tiny wood chips, they burn too fast and hot, so things get creosotey (which obviously happens easier anyway in this thing with no ventilation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I was redirected over here from the general questions thread.. Recently I bought a meat thermometer via my farm share and after reading the instructions for it I found out it has a terrible quirk where it will automatically turn itself off after ten minutes if the temp it is detecting is below 110 F. To me this makes it almost completely useless for doing the long low and slow roasts I bought it for. Can anyone here recommend a meat thermometer that won't just abandon a long roast after ten minutes?
I think almost anything is going to pass that barrier, hopefully. At my parents’ I have a $10 Ikea oven thermometer that has no problem handing that situation